Author Topic: Blizzard announcing new game next month  (Read 18855 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Blizzard announcing new game next month
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 01:28:23 AM »
God bless the internet.

Damn that looks awesome. That's interesting how the prisoner/slave was genetically modified to become a grunt. I wonder if this is going to be a story about a prisoner who is somehow aware of what happened to him and rebels or something.

Also I am going to install StarCraft and finally finish it hehe.

*needs to find a widescreen patch*

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 02:04:27 AM »
Blizzard's so nice about this stuff. They already launched the game's website with the trailer and screens. Hell, tomorrow the gameplay video is supposed to be up.

http://www.starcraft2.com/

Looking at the screens, it looks like they purposely tried to stay close to the 2D look of the original... although it looks a little more cartoony and I can't say I'm immediately fond of it. I'm fine with staying close to your roots; it worked great for C&C3. This just looks more cartoony that I took the original to be.

Still, I'm excited. It can work in its own way and probably moves nicely (I guess we'll see tomorrow with the video).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 02:25:59 AM »
Wow that looks really disappointing. About time the game evolved... jeebus.

Looking at that I worry about Diablo 3. Imagine if that D3 just ends up looking slightly better than D2.

edit:

Well I went through them again, and I a bit happier now. It grows on you, though after Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes, I'd be disappointed if SC2 didn't look as good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 06:06:21 AM »
I'm not much on the RTS genre; never really was.

I watched that Gameplay trailer on their website for SC2....

I don't think I ever really had much of an interest in playing a RTS near its very release.....until now.

I really need to play catch up and play SC: Original Campaign and SC: Brood War, which I do have installed on my PC.

Hey, for $8, when CC has it on sale some time back, I just couldn't pass-up The SC Battle Chest -- it is a classic, according to most; hehe.

EDIT:
I wonder when this game will actually be released....
Any projected dates yet....?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 06:52:30 AM »
Pug, you're disappointed?  Have you seen some of the videos on Youtube?  I think the visuals are awesome looking and completely blow Supreme Commander out of the water.

Anyway, yeah Starcraft 2.  I'm really surprised how many people were convinced it was WoS.  The South Koreans would have assassinated the Blizzard employees.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 07:04:57 AM »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 07:06:33 AM »
Well check out some of the videos on Youtube then.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 07:09:01 AM »
GameSpot got all kinds of SC2 info

Additional Starcraft II details unveiled at press conference
Blizzard holds additional Q&A session after announcing its highly anticipated seqel and covers more key points about the game and its future.
By Andrew Park, GameSpot
Posted May 19, 2007 2:29 am PT

SEOUL--After making the exciting announcement that a Starcraft sequel is in the works, Blizzard Entertainment held a follow-up press conference for reporters from Asia Pacific, American, and European territories. The conference included a panel of the studio's heaviest hitters, including president Mike Morhaime, chief operating officer Paul Sams, vice president of creative development Chris Metzen, vice president of game design Rob Pardo, Blizzard Korea managing director Jungwon Han, lead game producer Chris Sigaty, and lead game designer Dustin Browder.

The panel answered questions on numerous topics, including Starcraft II's development history, which Pardo expained "started shortly after Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" back in 2003. According to Pardo, the game is "very far along," and that the game is already playable in multiplayer will all three factions. When asked about the release date, Pardo gave the answer you may have come to expect from Blizzard: "The game will be released when it's ready."
It's already 4 years in the making?!?!?!?

And the MP's already playable?? Well, hell -- this game might be coming sooner than we think, eh???

According to the panel, the game is apparently being developed by a team of approximately 40, though on the matter of the budget and the schedule, Morhaime simply said, "We don't really have a budget; we'll spend as much time and resources as we need to make this game great."
Nice!

When asked about how Blizzard was approaching the challenge of how to make a game that would appeal both to hardcore and to casual players, the panel replied that the game will appeal to hardcore fans by being geared toward "highly competitive, skill-based gameplay," as well as by efforts to "continue to drive new features onto Battle.net," Blizzard's in-house online game service, as well as encouraging players to watch match replays to get into the "drama" and emotion behind competition, similar to the way that close-in cameras helped popularize tournament poker.

To address concerns from hardcore fans, Blizzard commented on questions specific to gameplay and the competitive community, such as the play speed of the demonstration videos, which didn't run as quickly as the original Starcraft. This is because, according to Pardo, the game played during the demonstration was set on a slower speed; Pardo suggested that Starcraft II will have multiple speed settings, similar to Warcraft III. The panel also confirmed that the sequel will have only the three factions of the protoss, terrans, and zerg--there will be no fourth faction. To address another question, the panel suggested that the resource management system in the sequel will feature "some enhancements, but it will still be very similar to the resource management in Starcraft, and just as important."
Okay

When asked about system requirements, the panel replied that the requirements haven't been fully finalized, but that the game will support Pixel Shader 2.0 graphics and PCs with either Windows XP or Vista.
Good. Glad it ain't Vista only.

Given that the trailers shown at this morning's presentation featured cameo appearances from key Starcraft characters like Zeratul, Jim Raynor, and Kerrigan, when asked about the sequel's story, creative development VP Chris Metzen replied that those three characters will definitely appear in the game, and that the sequel will definitely expand on the story from Starcraft and Brood War, but that the studio would otherwise have to stay "tight-lipped" on further details.
Okay.

The panel also fielded broader questions pertaining to the sequel's future and Blizzard's future. When asked why Blizzard decided to develop Starcraft II rather than, for instance, another Diablo sequel or another massively multiplayer game, Morhaime replied that Starcraft II was a project that much of the company had wanted to work on for years, and that the current level of technology made the game seem like the right choice. Morhaime also pointed out that the new development proved that Blizzard "wasn't just a massively multiplayer company" that would rest on the laurels of the highly successful World of Warcraft. The panel also fielded a thorny question on the creation of new intellectual property. Blizzard has become known for focusing on creating games only from a select few IPs it owns (Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo), and that although several team members "would like to explore the creation of new IPs, [they] are still very much in love with the three," and that Blizzard's approach to developing games--that is, developing very few games at a time--meant that the company often finds itself focusing only on these properties.
And I guess this is why all Blizz's games -- SC, WC, and Diablo -- all have turned out as very high technical and production based games. They sure ain't turned out any "Beta in a box", now have they?

Morhaime also fielded a question on Blizzard's commitment to the PC as its primary game platform, citing the "indefinite hold" status of the studio's canceled console game Starcraft: Ghost as an impetus that eventually drove the company to focus on the PC as its primary platform--a decision that Morhaime suggests, "paid off in spades," given that the company's new focus now lets it work on Starcraft II and World of Warcraft expansions. The executive also suggested that Microsoft's new initiative to bring the Xbox Live experience to the PC in the form of Live Anywhere wouldn't change Blizzard's online strategy; the company will remain committed to supporting and developing Battle.net for online play.
Interesting.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 07:47:45 AM »
I just saw this:

http://www.starcraft2.com/screenshots.xml
I don't know what impressed me more, the screenshots or the little cutout window at the bottom of the page that lets you see the planet behind the web page. That was just cool.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 07:49:34 AM »
Hmm... it could be the art that turns me off.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 08:04:35 AM »
I wonder what engine this game is running on.

Given work on this began after WC3, I'd guess maybe it is being made on A Modified Engine they used for WC3.

Maybe on some new engine entirely?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »
D.....

just.....

No...
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 09:42:26 AM »
hahaha... haha...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 09:55:47 AM »
*still waits for a Diablo 3 announcement from Bliz, for the hell of it....*

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 11:00:41 AM »
*waits for D to realize he doesn't like RTS games and go back to his NWN thread*

I gotta' say, the visuals really impress me.  I think it looks pretty spot-on as far as evolving the original SC look but staying true to it, and while I haven't watched any videos yet, the screenshots look amazing.  Imagining those at high res actually has me slightly giddy.  It's been so long since I've really done any RTS stuff, I wonder if I could make it through the original campaign this time.  I never made it through all 3 before, and I never even played Brood War.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »
*waits for D to realize he doesn't like RTS games and go back to his NWN thread*

Hey, I'm almost done w/ NWN2...up to the battle w/ Garius :P

*thinks I need to try SC and SC: Brood War, since I already have the SC Battle Chest -- and have that installed, too....*

I gotta' say, the visuals really impress me.  I think it looks pretty spot-on as far as evolving the original SC look but staying true to it, and while I haven't watched any videos yet, the screenshots look amazing.  Imagining those at high res actually has me slightly giddy.  It's been so long since I've really done any RTS stuff, I wonder if I could make it through the original campaign this time.  I never made it through all 3 before, and I never even played Brood War.
I thought the gameplay video looked awesome -- especially when it shows crap-loads of enemies on screen and the game is running seamlessly....yeah, at least in the video, who knows how it'll run on our PCs. Given it's a Bliz game, should run well out the box -- unlike some companies.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »
I wonder if I could make it through the original campaign this time.  I never made it through all 3 before, and I never even played Brood War.
I did beat the original once and made it through most of the way another time.  But I still need to finish Brood War.  I didn't like its story or the new units.

Offline wizall

« Reply #97 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 12:44:36 PM »
This is pretty exciting news.  This may mean I have to get that new, gaming-orientated PC I've been putting off.  I have some time to save up, I imagine.

Wow, all this almost makes me kinda' want to go back and play Starcraft again.  But only kinda'.

Same.  I don't know where my CDs are, though--gonna have to buy it again.  $20 is decent, I suppose.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 12:51:48 PM »
Check Target. I saw the battle chest on clearance for $9 last time I was in there.

Offline wizall

« Reply #99 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »
Yeah?  I'll do that.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 03:43:55 PM »
Check Target. I saw the battle chest on clearance for $9 last time I was in there.

Hmmm....Have you seen the Diablo Battle Chest that cheap? :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 03:47:10 PM »
Come on now...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 03:51:49 PM »
Come on now...

Hey, you never know.

Oh, Blizzard didn't develop the original Diablo expansion pack for Hellfire, right???

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #103 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 04:07:30 PM »
Diablo Battle Chest? No. However the Targets around here are are getting rid of Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction separately for cheap...like $6 a box. All you'd be missing from the chest is Diablo 1 and the strat guide (which isnt really that useful).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 04:26:53 PM »
Diablo Battle Chest? No. However the Targets around here are are getting rid of Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction separately for cheap...like $6 a box. All you'd be missing from the chest is Diablo 1 and the strat guide (which isnt really that useful).
I *never* really need the strat guides, normally. They are nice to have, though.
For walkthroughs and stuff, that's what GameFaqs is for, for me and all -- hehe.

I was planning on buying D2 and the expansion separate for around $10 per piece, if the GameStop/EB has that rumored "Clearance sale" happening, which is supposedly in a few weeks or so.

Maybe I'll just go out and check a local Target, if that's the case...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #105 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 08:27:27 PM »
I don't know where the hell you people live to find this shit.  My Target would in no way ever have a copy of Diablo 2.  Ever.  I mean, not now.  And none of my Gamestops or EBs even really sell PC games anymore.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #106 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 09:18:58 PM »
I don't know where the hell you people live to find this shit.  My Target would in no way ever have a copy of Diablo 2.  Ever.  I mean, not now.  And none of my Gamestops or EBs even really sell PC games anymore.

At my local EB's and GS's -- and there are a few surrounding me -- they usually have one rack full of PC games.

While the the rest of the consoles, they have racks and racks of that stuff.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: Monday, May 21, 2007, 05:20:21 PM »
Starcraft2.com has the movie demo up now... at decent resolutions to boot.

Now that I've seen these things in motion I like the look a lot more. It works more or less the way WCIII or even WoW do. Not high tech, but just solid and very good looking.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #108 on: Monday, May 21, 2007, 05:53:40 PM »
Dudes.. i am going to install Brood war tomorrow. We should play.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Folk

• Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 04:19:44 PM »
I almost pissed myself with the SC2 annoucement.  Finally, my little Mac will have a decent RTS game to play.  It also gives me a reason to upgrade to a Pro in the next year!  Yay for excuses to upgrade!

I'm really impressed that Blizz isn't changing the formula too much.  From a competitive standpoint, WC3 really dropped the soap, allowing SC to reign supreme in competitive RTS play.  SC2 looks to take the formula that made SC so memorable, update it with improvements they've learned over the past few years, and kick out a new game that surpasses everything they've done previously.

The game also looks fantastic.  The art is very sexy, especially in motion.  The particle effects seem nice, the models look sharp, and the textures are top knotch.  True, it's a bit brighter than one might expect, though I don't think it's "cartoony."

Now is the time to work any contacts I have to get into beta. :P I really am excited about this game!

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 05:17:58 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 06:05:46 PM »
Haha, man, that's good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 06:14:56 PM »
LMAO @ that cartoon.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »
I'm glad it's Startcraft 2, and not World of Starcraft. I was worried about having to choose between WoW, or WAR (if I switch when it comes out), and some new Blizzard MMO.

You know what I hate about RTS games? I suck at them. I actually LIKE the way they play, but I completely and totally suck ass at them. Anyone who was around when Warcraft III came out should remember our games we played. I pretty much always came in dead last, and was the first person to be out of the game. Most people don't seem to like playing against the computer in War 2, war 3, and SC, because it's just too easy and predictable. I don't enjoy it because the computer kicks my ass.

I remember in high school I used to play Warcraft 2 with a friend all night, every night. After a while we ended up doign us vs like 2 computer opponents. We tried me + a computer allied against just my friend, and I still got raped.

As horrible as I am at RTS, SC2 looks good. I'll probably do like I did with Warcraft 3: buy it, get through 5 mission in single player, get raped 2-3 times on battle.net, then shelf it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
Yeah, bright's a far better word that cartoonish. But yeah, now that I've seen the thing in motion I've quickly made amends with the look of the game. I just had a bad gut level reaction because it wasn't blazingly new looking, which is strange because I often disagree with super high end looking games being the standard.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 10:23:23 PM »
So when I went to get Odin Sphere the guy asked me if I wanted to reserve Starcraft 2. I asked him when they pegged the release date for and he said "November 2007"

I lol'ed
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 11:37:06 PM »
Dudes.. i am going to install Brood war tomorrow. We should play.

Yea I was going to do the same, but it is stuck at 800x600 is it?

I'm really impressed that Blizz isn't changing the formula too much.  From a competitive standpoint, WC3 really dropped the soap, allowing SC to reign supreme in competitive RTS play.  SC2 looks to take the formula that made SC so memorable, update it with improvements they've learned over the past few years, and kick out a new game that surpasses everything they've done previously.

I don't know... I am not that impressed with that fact. Let's see how it works out.

Anyway I just saw the cartoon... HILARIOUS!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #117 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 11:40:34 PM »
SC1 is 640x480 only, I believe.

Offline wizall

« Reply #118 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 12:28:21 PM »
As I was ordering a couple things from Gamestop just a minute ago, I noticed SC1 Battlechest is now only $10.  Now's the time to get it if you're local joints don't have it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 01:20:42 PM »
As I was ordering a couple things from Gamestop just a minute ago, I noticed SC1 Battlechest is now only $10.  Now's the time to get it if you're local joints don't have it.

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff on sale there, mentioned in my thread about the sale going on until mid-June.