Author Topic: FEAR 2  (Read 20078 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: FEAR 2 banned down under in Australia
« Reply #40 on: Monday, September 08, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »
So what happens to Perseus Mandate?

That was already released, a while back.
It was okay.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 03:52:48 PM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: Monolith gets the FEAR brand name back
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 04:49:49 AM »
Oh.  I didn't even know it was released.     :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 11:36:32 AM »
Oh.  I didn't even know it was released.     :P
It's been out for a while. It is standalone but frankly it sucked. The gameplay was monotonous (even more than the original FEAR), story was irrelavant and shallow, and somewhere along the line of development they lost the DirectX 9 shaders so now it looks crap too (there was no patch either).

By contrast, Extraction Point was a decent expansion.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
It's been out for a while. It is standalone but frankly it sucked. The gameplay was monotonous (even more than the original FEAR), story was irrelavant and shallow, and somewhere along the line of development they lost the DirectX 9 shaders so now it looks crap too (there was no patch either).
That was the odd part -- was that it lost the DX 9.0 shaders that helped make the game. Eh, Perseus was really nothing great by any means.

By contrast, Extraction Point was a decent expansion.
I thought Extraction was good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
FEAR 2 refused classification in Australia. Therefore, it's banned in Australia.

Really though, Australia has been banning a lot of our M-rated games lately (i.e. SH: Homecoming, Shell Shock 2: Blood Trails, Dark Sector, and of course FO3) and are probably are going to ban a lot more of our M-rated games (17+), since they don't have a 17+ rating there; 15+ is as high as it gets down there.

Someone tell 'em, get a 17+ rating allowed down there like USA and Europe has. That or designers are just going to have to tone down their M-rated games to make the 15+ classification down there (i.e. Fallout 3).

EDIT:
WARNING: THERE ARE Gameplay and Storyline SPOILERS IN THIS NEXT LINK
More details on the kind of content the game contains, which resulted in Australia refusing to classify it.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 04:27:10 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: FEAR 2 banned down under in Australia
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 06:19:56 PM »
Monolith's Dave Matthews (Art Lead for FEAR 2) blames non-Monolith FEAR expansions and non-Monolith console ports to why they believe they've lost some fans -- b/c they didn't turn out that great and didn't have too much of a focus on Alma.

Also, The Lith is going to be doing ALL three versions at once (PC, X360, and PS3) to avoid "poor port" syndrome.

Ports and expansions "killed off a few" F.E.A.R. fans
Saturday 27-Dec-2008 7:30 AM Monolith says console versions of F.E.A.R. and expansions may have negatively impacted the brand

Monolith's Dave Matthews, primary art lead on F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, has told CVG that F.E.A.R. expansions and console ports have likely cost the series some fans.

TimeGate Studios' F.E.A.R. expansions Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate received lukewarm critical receptions, while Day 1 Studios' PS3 and 360 ports of F.E.A.R. didn't quite match up to Monolith's original PC version.

In a recent interview we put it to Matthews that the non-Monolith developed F.E.A.R. products likely introduced a number of new people to the brand.

"And killed off a few," was his response, suggesting Monolith has a bit of work to do in attracting some punters back to the series.

"[TimeGate] took the story in a direction that we didn't intend," he added. "We look at Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate as an alternate universe, a 'what could have been', and because of that it doesn't necessarily diminish the story that we were trying to tell. F.E.A.R. was about Alma, F.E.A.R. 2 is about Alma, and we wanted to continue the story the way we originally intended."

Matthews also promised that the 360 and PS3 versions of Project Origin will be much closer to their PC counterpart than was the case with the original F.E.A.R..

"Now we're handling all three versions, we've changed our development structure to develop all three SKUs simultaneously and there's no lead platform," he said. "While there will be some slight variations between the different versions, so if you're on PC you can push some things further, our main goal is to make sure the experience is synonymous across all three platforms."

Publisher Warner Bros. yesterday released 35 new screens from the game, which is due for release on February 13, 2009.

Keep an eye out for more from our interview with Matthews over the coming weeks. While you wait for that though, have a read of PC Gamer's latest preview here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
I think for a lot of people it got too confusing.  Even now I forget who still has the rights to what and what projects are going and what got stopped.  Add into that what they said about having the ports and expansions pawned off, and you've got what surely amounts to a lot of customers just moving on.

I really need to go back through the first game again.  I really loved it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Monday, December 29, 2008, 12:44:41 AM »
Yeah, I don't know. I see what they're saying and there's probably some truth to it, but there was only so much further you could go with the expansion anyways.  From what I've seen, it wasn't necessarily any plot elements that scared people off, but just the fact that the environments and everything were the same all the way through.  Kind of engine-limited from what I've heard, but I haven't played the expansions so I can't really say.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 08:27:22 AM »
I'm curious as to what the system requirements for this game might be...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
FEAR 2 PC requirements revealed

‘F.E.A.R. 2′ PC System Requirements Unveiled

Wed, Jan 14, 2009

I really loved the original “F.E.A.R” game, aside from the nasty ending areas with the annoyingly repetitive ghost corridor shooting, and I’ve been closely following the production of its sequel, “F.E.A.R. 2,” since the days when it was known simply as “Project Origin.”

Anyway, the system requirements for the PC version were recently unveiled, and they seem quite modest for a modern FPS of its caliber. I imagine that most every gaming PC out there exceeds most of the minimum requirements at this point.

Min spec
CPU: P4 2.8GHz (3.2GHz Vista)/Athlon 64 3000+ (3200+ Vista)
GPU: Fully DX9-compliant graphics card with 256MB (SM 2.0b). NVidia 6800 or ATI X700.
Memory: 1GB (1.5GB Vista)
HDD: 12GB
DirectX: 9.0c
Sound: DX9.0c compliant
Optical drive: DVD (boxed only)
Internet: Broadband

Recommended Spec
CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz processor family/Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (required for MP host)
GPU: Fully DX9-compliant graphics card with 512MB (SM 3.0). NVidia 8600 GTS or ATI HD 2900 XT.
Memory: 1.5GB
HDD: 12GB
DirectX: 9.0c
Sound: DX9.0c compliant
Optical drive: DVD (boxed only)
Internet: Broadband (768kbit/sec upstream required to host 16 players)

What do you think? Is your PC up to the task of running this sufficiently, or will you go for the PS3 or Xbox 360 version of the game instead?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: System Requirements revealed in Reply 51
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »
What the heck is with the XP service pack recommendations?  SP2 required, SP3 recommended?  Why?  Is there a real reason for that?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #53 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 02:23:27 AM »
What the heck is with the XP service pack recommendations?  SP2 required, SP3 recommended?  Why?  Is there a real reason for that?
I've alwyas thought that was wierd.

Maybe there's a .net or visual C++ update that's exclusive to a service pack which an autorun, update, or security application requires to run?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 11:36:25 AM »
The demo is up now on XBLA, not sure about PS3. I tried checking the official site for a PC demo (Gspot says it'll be there) but can't get the language selection flash to work right. I click on the US flag and nothing happens, tried Opera and IE.

edit: afternoon sun + no blinds + dark game =

« Last Edit: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 12:22:55 PM by W7RE »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »
FEAR 2 PC Demo is out.
It's a 1.8 GB download.

If you have a X-Box 360, check X-Box Live Arcade for the demo.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
You can get it from www.whatisfear.com without the 45 minute wait in line. :P

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »
played the demo. yep, it's still scary. more of the same really, apart from the mecha sections - which kick a lot of ass. might pick it up, but only once it's been reduced.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »
I think I'm gonna get it. I never did play through the first because my PC sucked ass when I came out, so it's not quite so "been there, done that" for me. I doubt I'd really be missing much in the way of story. Really, how many FPS have stories that that important?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »
Well, if story is a factor for you, I found this video at GiantBomb which Warner Bros. have prepared a to bring you up to speed:
F.E.A.R. Case File Video

EDIT:
Just thought I'd mention that if you haven't played F.E.A.R. that vid is a spoiler.. Assuming you care about the story, of course.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 06:36:07 PM »
Nice. Yea I never played the first, so I'll just watch the vid to catch myself up before playing the second.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »
Man, I think I need to reinstall the first game and go through it again.  People had complaints, but I had a blast the whole time.  It wasn't perfect, but I think what they did with the story was actually quite fantastic.  The buildup before and during the end segments was really awesome.  I don't think the game got enough credit.  Half-life 2 is an example of how you should not do the silent protagonist, always-stay-in-first-person storytelling.  FEAR was an example of how much more meaningful it can be if you do it right.  The story itself wasn't really that groundbreaking, but the way it was told was very potent.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »
FEAR deserves to be recognized more so than Half-Life 2.
As great as both are, HL2 is no FEAR.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 07:08:05 PM »
HL2 was a more expansive game that had more ideas.  In that sense it's really a far superior game.  I absolutely hate the way they paced it, running each successive gimmick or gameplay type into the ground before moving on, but there was actually a lot of variety there, and the game was pretty robust if you look at it in total.  FEAR, by contrast, did one thing and did it well, and that was about it, and it also lacked the variety of locales that HL2 boasted.  Most hated that, though I actually liked how real it felt.  That lent it some weight, in my mind.  But where HL2 really failed, pacing aside, was story.  The story was lame enough by itself, if you can even call it story (I've gone over that a billion times), but the presentation just wasn't believable.  Others will of course disagree, but I thought FEAR did the silent protagonist thing much more convincingly.  For a game that technically had less story and wasn't really even striving for story excellence, I cared much more about the people there than I ever did about anyone in HL2, including Gordon and Alyx.  That had everything to do with believability.  HL2 had no believable threads whatsoever.  People treated Gordon like a god for no reason, and the interactions didn't make sense without two-sided contact.  FEAR, even with a premise equally outlandish, made sure to keep it grounded.  That's where they really succeeded.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »
HL2 was a more expansive game that had more ideas.  In that sense it's really a far superior game.  I absolutely hate the way they paced it, running each successive gimmick or gameplay type into the ground before moving on, but there was actually a lot of variety there, and the game was pretty robust if you look at it in total.
I thought HL2's game structure was fine.

FEAR, by contrast, did one thing and did it well, and that was about it, and it also lacked the variety of locales that HL2 boasted.  Most hated that, though I actually liked how real it felt.  That lent it some weight, in my mind.
I do wish FEAR had more location types; that's probably my only gripe with FEAR.

But where HL2 really failed, pacing aside, was story.  The story was lame enough by itself, if you can even call it story (I've gone over that a billion times), but the presentation just wasn't believable.  Others will of course disagree, but I thought FEAR did the silent protagonist thing much more convincingly.  For a game that technically had less story and wasn't really even striving for story excellence, I cared much more about the people there than I ever did about anyone in HL2, including Gordon and Alyx.
I cared about the characters in HL2 quite a bit...

...I thought the problem w/ HL2 was that so many storyline threads were left hanging by the end of HL2, it was just incomplete. Once the game ended, it left you hanging with threads hanging and without any explanation to the ending.

That had everything to do with believability.  HL2 had no believable threads whatsoever.  People treated Gordon like a god for no reason, and the interactions didn't make sense without two-sided contact.  FEAR, even with a premise equally outlandish, made sure to keep it grounded.  That's where they really succeeded.
Valve are the masters at NOT explaining things -- such as to why Freeman is treated as such.
Maybe Gordon was treated like a God b/c of the events of HL?

Some HL1, HL2, and HL2 Episode Thoughts -- SPOILERS!!!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »
Valve can't tell a story to save their collective life.  I don't call them a bad developer, exactly, but they don't jive with me most of the time.  I don't know what it is, but there's some spark their games just lack.  They don't excite me (except for L4D, which has overcome its many, many problems and turned into a big pile of asskick).  And I don't care what anyone says, I still think HL2's pacing was horrendous, its story lacking plot, and its characters either unlikable or uninteresting (or both).

Except for DOG.  DOG was awesome.  I'm still hoping for a spinoff game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 12:43:58 AM »
FEAR deserves to be recognized more so than Half-Life 2.
As great as both are, HL2 is no FEAR.

I'm not the biggest HL2 fan out there, but I think this might be the most incorrect thing I've ever seen posted on the internet.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »
I'm not the biggest HL2 fan out there, but I think this might be the most incorrect thing I've ever seen posted on the internet.

Story
I'm sorry GPW, but HL2's story is vastly inferior to FEAR's. Me and Que have spoken about this many times to no end before on why we feel this way about the story (or lack thereof story and lack of any sort of completion in many storyline threads as the game reaches completion) -- so, I ain't gonna do it again.

Gameplay
In terms of the shootouts themselves, HL games just don't have the level of intensity that say FEAR does, either. Though, L4D has that kind of level of intensity b/c of the share amount of numbers of enemies it tosses at you is ridiculous. Of course, L4D's enemy AI is nowhere as brilliant and as varied as FEAR's, since L4D's a zombie shooter -- it just goes with the territory.

FEAR might not have the level of variety HL2 does when it comes to things -- since HL2 has vehicles (boats, car) and all and a handful of other game gimmicks (physics puzzles, a zombie town, a gravity gun only level)  -- but FEAR's enemies in combat with tactics vary quite the bit. HL2 has much more different kind of environments and enemy types, though -- something FEAR sequel(s) really needs to work on. Oh, FEAR needs more enemy types, too.

Satisfaction (Or Lack Thereof)
L4D might lack story depth, but at least there ain't any freakin' number of storyline threads left hanging by the time you've finished a damn episode. When you finish L4D Episode, you are satisfied with everything. I never have ever felt that way about any HL game, when the game ends. FEAR might've ended on a crummy note, but at least it didn't have a number of things dangling in your face left unattended to.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 03:48:51 PM »
God shut up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »
I was going to respond about how i disagreed.  Instead I'll respond with this:

What the fuck?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »
I was going to respond about how i disagreed.
That's what I *was* hoping for.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Monday, February 09, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »
Videogamer.com Review
NINE (out of 10) from Videogamer.

Video review.
Written review

Eurogamer's Review
5.0 from Eurogamer (out of 10) in this on-and-off review here.

Elements of the kinetic combat have been removed, oddly. The close-combat flying kicks have been excised, reduced to the standard weapon-bash.
Oh, man -- I loved using the flying kicks that FEAR 1 had! :(
Why the hell they cut that out?

You are able to flip furniture and take cover behind it- which your opposition will do too, showing the generally robust AI.
Cool.

What else helps is the sense that Monolith really does care about this little world. As well as in-game cut-scenes and visions, there are logs all over the area for you to collect. These short bursts of information add a lot of colour to the proceedings, and in a BioShock-esque way add light and shade to what at its heart is a Resident-Evil-by-way-of-Akira ooh-those-corporations-they're-bad'uns plot. In fact, the most chilling moment in the game is delivered off-hand in one of these.
That sounds pretty damn good to me.

Monolith really has developed a setting, even if it's not that interested in explaining it. Take the monstrous creatures you fight - the fairly standard fast-gooey-teary-things, ghosty-telekenetic things and puppet-master-zombie-controller things. Bar the former, I got no sense of what they were there for. I actually knew the story behind them, because a developer explained their background during an interview I did, but it's not made clear in actual play. While I understand the idea that the strange and unknown is fearful, it's not how the monsters come across in the game. Generally speaking, they just come across as something novel to shoot.
Half-Life 2 was known for not explaining stuff -- yet he doesn't really slam HL2 for that...

And Half-Life 2's levels made more sense conceptually too. It's rarely obvious why you're going the way you're going. I moved by instinct, knowing that heading in a certain way was what the game wanted me to do - but also knowing it didn't make much sense. FEAR 2 is a game that works off an engine of atmosphere, and the unreality underpinning it all just undercuts that immersion.
FEAR 2 is fantasy -- as in, you've got ghosts and other supernatural elements, so when the hell is the reality necessary here?  :o

In other words, I found the experience of playing the game to be simultaneously exhilarating and depressing. The smallest fundamental parts - such as the combat - work. But on a higher level, alienation grows as the game becomes a chain of well-worn genre standards. I found myself thinking the back-handed compliment, "Well, at least I haven't done a gun-turret bit yet." Then, predictably, one turned up. Every time I started a new level I ended up wondering whether this one would be the moving-platform-train-bit. Surely it would arrive eventually? And it did.

It's a checklist of genre-tropes, well performed. If you're just looking for more well-polished shooting, this will while away the hours pleasantly enough. If you've never played a first-person shooter before, you'll probably be in love - this is as archetypal a corridor-shooter as has ever been made, and there's a reason why it works. But for anyone who's been running down corridors with shotguns for most of their adult life, this is so uninspired that you worry for the spark of Monolith's soul. You guys made No One Lives Forever, remember? You're smart. You're better than this.

FEAR 2 isn't terrible. That's the most terrible thing of all. Is mere competency enough to garner gamers' love? I don't know. But it's the one thing I really do fear.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin -- Update: 5.0 from Eurogamer (out of 10)
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 06:14:36 AM »
The flying kick is not cut out. At least not in the demo. I played the demo and I was fly-kicking my through the CQB bits. However I think the slide-kick was removed, or maybe I just couldn't do it on a PS3 pad. The good news is the melee is not an instant kill unless the enemy is unaware of you.

Based on the Euro-gamers review it sounds like the reviewer actually giving the game an 8/10 but his only real quarrel is with the supposedly unexplained monsters and story elements, so he docked around 3 points for that?? Really? That review is very inconsistent.

Btw, they posted this screenshot with a character wearing what seems to be a "Shogo 2" t-shirt under a lab coat. A hint at Monolith's next game perhaps?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
It's Eurogamer.  They're inconsistent and hypercritical pretty much all the time.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 07:47:35 AM »
It's Eurogamer.  They're inconsistent and hypercritical pretty much all the time.
Good point.

I think I'm gonna pick up FEAR2 on PC. I wanna try out the PC demo first.. 1.7GB download though.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 09:11:35 AM »
Meh... the first one wasn't a bad game, but it was pretty forgetable.  As a result, I'm not too interested in this one.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »
The flying kick is not cut out. At least not in the demo. I played the demo and I was fly-kicking my through the CQB bits. However I think the slide-kick was removed, or maybe I just couldn't do it on a PS3 pad. The good news is the melee is not an instant kill unless the enemy is unaware of you.

Based on the Euro-gamers review it sounds like the reviewer actually giving the game an 8/10 but his only real quarrel is with the supposedly unexplained monsters and story elements, so he docked around 3 points for that?? Really? That review is very inconsistent.
Agreed. Valve gets away with that ALL the time.

Btw, they posted this screenshot with a character wearing what seems to be a "Shogo 2" t-shirt under a lab coat. A hint at Monolith's next game perhaps?

I thought his review sounded like a 8 out of 10, myself.

He praises how technically well-done the game is in many regards, then completely blasts it for lack of explanation of some enemies and stuff -- which again, is something Valve very RARELY seem to be EVER criticized about.

It also sounds like the Eurogamer reviewer wanted something more evolutionary and/or revolutionary than what he actually received. It's like he was hoping FEAR 2 would be The Messiah of FPS's or something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »
8.3 from IGN
Reviewed by Jason Ocampo

Video review
Written review from IGN.