Author Topic: Doom, Quake...now: Rage  (Read 25996 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Doom, Quake...now: Rage
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
Can't say I was expecting this. It looked set to knock one out of the park to me, but I guess not. Glad I waited (I've been very good about not giving in to temptation lately, at least where games are concerned). I know I'll end up with this eventually, but it definitely won't be this year.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 10:39:57 AM »
In a way, it's a relief.  If it had been a home run, I know I would have jumped on all $60 of it, with other games on the way that will tempt me to do the same (like Skyward Sword and Skyrim--hmm, lots of skies).  Then there's Driver SF, already out, and very tempting.  So this just takes the strain off of a very limited wallet. 

But what a shame regardless.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »
Yeah. It's amazing that an id game can have technical issues like what's being reported. I can understand poor story-telling and the like but I'm surprised to see where the game has faltered. Given the time between releases, this can't be good for id.

So, is it too early to start making jokes about Carmack spending too much time in his rocket?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 11:34:30 AM »
So ATI released a quick fix optimized driver for Rage....that included outdated OGL files so performance is still crappy.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
This has to severely impact id's relevance, right?  Not that it wasn't terribly impacted already.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »
I pretty much agree with Xessive's assessment. I put in a couple hours and I am having a lot of fun with it. The shooting mechanics and the way the guns feel are top notch, id definitely delivers on that. The game looks fantastic but it's got those issues Xessive pointed out. My texture pop-in isn't very noticeable on my machine and at first I didn't see it, however doing quick 180 turns around the environment, you can see pop-in for a split second, its quick but you still see it. Also there are some really bad looking textures in just weird spots... I don't know if that is how its supposed to look or shit just isn't loading up like it should but its weird. I haven't experienced any crashes or my character getting stuck on the environment or bad clipping, it just seems to be texture issues. The environments do look pretty fantastic though, there are lots of areas that show off the landscape and give a grand scale to the world. Characters look really well modeled and detailed, and they are well voiced. I even spotted Nolan North's voice talent.

It is too bad however that the world isn't as open and explorable as we all originally thought. Like reviews have read, you're basically taking on one quest after another with the occasional side quest. There is loot, craftable items, and armor upgrades, but its all very basic stuff. id has created a really solid shooter, which is what they always do, and they add some little touches on the side to make it feel like its stretching itself out to be RPG-like, but its not a Fallout or a Borderlands, its a much more simpler, streamlined and constricted version of those. The gun play feels more refined and tightened and its the best looking post apocalyptic game out there. I'm definitely enjoying it so far, I haven't touched the mini game stuff since I haven't gotten too far. I'll post more impressions as I go but I won't get to play more till Thursday night when I'm off.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »
Wow.  I expected id to completely fail at making a modern AAA title, but not on the technical side.  That really surprises me.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »
That's interesting.  On the one hand he says it was a mistake to give parity to the consoles, and on the other he laments that the PC software API cripples the real-time performance below that of the direct-to-metal consoles anyway.  I gather this last issue is what he wants to address, in concert with the PC powers-that-be.  That would be some achievement, given that PC architecture is an open standard.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »
If you have ATI hardware, grab the lastest drivers which have been fixed. People are saying it runs pretty much perfect for them now.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »
BethSoft on Rage PC issues.
Bethsoft is basically alluding to the fact that the technical issues didn't occur in QA. The technical issues seem so widespread, I can't believe it didn't pop up.  I mean even reviewers are seeing the issue and there is a direct correlation between reviews and game sales.  You'd have thought that id would have worked with the video card vendors to ensure a smooth release as they've done in the past.  Guess not.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »
Shitty game testing at Bethsoft? I'm shocked.

Sorry. I'm being snarky about this whole deal. I'm not exactly sure why I'm sort of tickled about this. While I'm not a diehard id fan, I can't say Doom didn't play a decent sized role in my early teen years and enjoyed Doom 3 a lot. However, I was sort of hoping the would prove that id not only relevant, but a force in the gaming world. Now I just want it to sting a little so they really get up to speed next time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
That's interesting.  On the one hand he says it was a mistake to give parity to the consoles, and on the other he laments that the PC software API cripples the real-time performance below that of the direct-to-metal consoles anyway.  I gather this last issue is what he wants to address, in concert with the PC powers-that-be.  That would be some achievement, given that PC architecture is an open standard.
Yeah, very interesting article...from June 2011.
Just thought it was interesting...and you know, I guess we should've saw these tech issues for PC version coming, given what Carmack said there...

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »
Brad on Giantbomb seemed to like it a good bit. His review is mostly pretty glowing and I feel like he is spot on from what Ive played so far.

I just hope the PC issues get worked out. Were there also Nividia drivers released to fix some issues?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 06:07:11 AM »
I'm more hung up on the actual meat of the game, from what I'm reading.  A 10-hour campaign and the promise of an open world becoming a facade are not what I was expecting, or wanting.  This is still a must-buy for me, eventually. 

What's replayability like?  Anyone get that far yet?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 07:54:56 AM »
Looks like people are starting to write their own config files...

Yep, I've been using FusedCore's config, it helps make the game more attractive but now I'm suffering from occasional stuttering.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »
Yep, I've been using FusedCore's config, it helps make the game more attractive but now I'm suffering from occasional stuttering.

Stuttering issues for you now?
Ugh, I hope the stutter ain't as bad as Gears PC was...

EDIT:
Oh, given what I've read about lack of autosaves -
Does this game have a quicksave system?

EDIT #2:
BethSoft on some ways to try to fix graphical issues such as screen-tearing, texture-popping, and blurry textures.
GeForce.com -> Article on how to bump up graphical settings and things w/ Rage PC.

EDIT #3:
Destructoid -> Jim Sterling - his vicious thoughts on Rage PC.

All these issues were apparent within the first fifteen minutes of play, leading me to conclude that RAGE is by far among the very worst ports I have seen on any system, from any company, during any year. While the game is good on consoles, and a recommended purchase, I'd say that anybody looking to get it on PC steer well clear, at least until a laundry list of tweaks and the obligatory first five patches have arrived. Right now, there are all sorts of conflicting reports on how to make RAGE run better on PC, but most users will be tearing their hair out and lamenting their wasted cash if they download this and expect to get a good product for their $60.00.

Yes, $60.00. It's ten dollars more expensive than PC games should be, and it's still one of the worst PC versions of any game currently available. That such things are legal truly blows my mind.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 12:09:14 PM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
The game is certainly in a bad state and the flak id is getting is expected and well deserved but worst port ever? Not really, there have been some really fucking bad PC ports and this doesn't descend to those ranks nearly.

I have updated my video card drivers and the bad screen tearing I was getting it now gone. Those really blurry textures I see in spots are still there. I need to take some screenshots and show them on here because its really weird. I'm a little worried that those textures were final textures and not associated with any sort of hardware related problem, just shit that made it in the final build and didn't get fixed up when released.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 01:45:59 PM »
D, you can quicksave! The game prevents you from saving during certain events or sequences but it's pretty easy going with saves otherwise.

I'm using the ATI hotfix RAGE drivers, and they really helped with the overall framerate. Using the RAGE config files I managed to mess with the graphics settings and get the game running really well, at least between stutters. The stutters are the only major problem now; they're random and extremely frustrating.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 05, 2011, 11:22:41 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #104 on: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »
D, you can quicksave! The game prevents you from saving during certain events or sequences but it's pretty easy going with saves otherwise.

I'm using the ATI hotfix RAGE drivers, and they really helped with the overall framerate. Using the RAGE config files I managed to mess with the graphics settings and get the game running really well, at least between stutters. The stutters are the only major problem now; they're random and extremely frustrating.

I found something that might help you w/ stuttering issues, X.

Fixing Rage PC - tutorial video.

Watch the part on creating a game cache for Rage PC - begins at 1:19 in the vid.

I don't know much on ATI stuff, but if GPU Transcoding is supported by your card, you might want to deal w/ that [that starts at 0:00 before all the Rage cache making stuff], too.
They also recommend forcing VSync and Triple-Buffering through your video card's control panel (ATI uses CCC), as well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
Rage Editor and 64-bit EXE file are planned to be eventually coming.
BethSoft is working on making more video options easily available.
We’re currently working on an update that will allow you to more easily make configuration changes… should have more details on that shortly.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 08:15:49 PM »
It can look like Doom too.  Heheh!
Quake room is in there as an Easter Egg, too - AWESOME!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #108 on: Friday, October 07, 2011, 01:19:07 AM »
I found something that might help you w/ stuttering issues, X.

Fixing Rage PC - tutorial video.

Watch the part on creating a game cache for Rage PC - begins at 1:19 in the vid.

I don't know much on ATI stuff, but if GPU Transcoding is supported by your card, you might want to deal w/ that [that starts at 0:00 before all the Rage cache making stuff], too.
They also recommend forcing VSync and Triple-Buffering through your video card's control panel (ATI uses CCC), as well.
Thanks D, I already did that fix and it doesn't help with the stuttering at all.

I discovered something mildly interesting though: in the ATI/AMD Catalyst settings if I force Catalyst AI off the stuttering stops unfortunately I get a lot of artifacts and corrupted textures, often incorrect textures displaying everywhere.

On the bright side, in between stutters I get very smooth gameplay.

UPDATE:
I solved my stuttering problems! Turns out it was related to audio not video! I was using my X-Fi Go (great EAX effects with headphones), I removed it and uninstalled all Creative software and the game runs smooth now! There's a new problem now: flickering, all NPCs flicker wildly.
« Last Edit: Friday, October 07, 2011, 03:26:53 AM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #110 on: Friday, October 07, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »
ATI Users - Brand New AMD Catalyst 11.10 Version 2 drivers released namely to support Rage PC and BF3 PC.

AMD Catalyst™ 11.10 Version 2 Preview Driver 

Last Updated
10/7/2011   

Article Number
GPU-122

AMD Catalyst™ 11.10 Preview Driver Features:

Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
    Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on AMD CrossFire™ configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
    Improves performance in Rage on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series and AMD Radeon HD 4000 series of products.
    Reduces intermittent crashing seen loading levels in Rage
    Resolves flickering of NPCs in Rage
    Enables automatic Vsync for Rage
    Enables support for AMD Eyefinity 5x1 display (portrait and landscape) configurations  using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
    AMD Vision Engine Control Center: User Interface enhancements have been implemented for the AMD CrossfireX™, GPU AMD Overdrive™ and Information Center pages.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: Friday, October 07, 2011, 04:58:02 PM »
They solved the NPC flickering.  Xessive will be happy about that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Friday, October 07, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »
Check this thread w/ people talking about the new drivers.
Some still having problems w/ new drivers, some are not.

I'm so glad I didn't drop $43 on this when Newegg had the PC version [Retail Box] on sale for that price that one day for Pre-Order.

EDIT:
LOL @ this pic
« Last Edit: Friday, October 07, 2011, 07:57:28 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #113 on: Saturday, October 08, 2011, 03:05:49 AM »
Well, they solved the old flickering but now there's a new kind of flickering! Now almost all NPCs look like there are two of them occupying the same space flickering rapidly, occasionally one of the two will start mimicking my movements! When I turn, walk, crouch they mimic! It's a weird bug.. Looks like something out of Fringe.

The stuttering is back but much less frequent now. When it happens I can lo-res textures being drawn and rendering into hi-res.

One problem solved but two more cropped up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #114 on: Saturday, October 08, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »
From Todd Hollenshead's Twitter.
Rage exe update coming soon with driver workarounds, more. B sure and read the release notes when posted.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, October 08, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #116 on: Sunday, October 09, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »
Rage PC patch released via Steam w/ patch notes galore.

And from the Steam boards...

...this patch Broke the game for most people including myself and is a forced update by steam...

I haven't checked yet but I will confirm.

UPDATE:
With a custom config file the game crashes, without it runs fine. It's a bit more stable but not enough of a change to the visual quality; the config files were doing a better job in the visual dept.

EDIT:
I love how id's response is so "we did this for you when nobody else would"

RAGE defaults to lower video settings to allow the game to work on a wide variety of hardware and software configurations. Unfortunately, it is not possible to anticipate all possible graphics driver issues in combination with unique end user hardware and software configurations. For this reason RAGE does not automatically increase video/graphics settings as this could result in negative side effects on specific  hardware and software configurations. The original release of RAGE does not expose many video/graphics options for people to tweak because some of these settings, although desirable from a quality perspective, simply will not work on specific configurations either due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs. Due to popular demand for more video and graphics options, this patch updates the video settings menu and exposes several quality and performance settings. However, not everyone may be able to increase the settings due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs.

No shit. That's how it is with all PC games yet somehow most (if not all) other devs provide a wide range of graphics configuration options.

So what were these new options that were provided by popular demand?

Vsync: off, on, and SMART (graphics card-specific option).
Anisotropic filtering: Low and High. Is it 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x? Who knows!
Texture cache: Small and Large. What is the exact size dictated by each setting? No idea.

Great, now where are the rest of the options?

It seems that id can no longer identify with PC players, who want specific options in specific detail.

If they were genuinely concerned about performance issues why not put in a handy "Auto-configure" option like most other devs instead assuming the "lowest settings" by default?!
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 09, 2011, 01:57:30 AM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #117 on: Sunday, October 09, 2011, 05:33:59 AM »
Some people are turning off Steam's auto-updates and are reverting back to the old EXE.
My God - I don't think I've ever seen this much technical issues w/ just trying to get a Triple-A PC game running since probably Bully PC.

At least w/ GTA4 PC, you had TONS of settings to throw around - it just ran like shit for most, until they released one of their [somewhat] recent patches that fixed the way that dynamic shadow-rendering drew.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #118 on: Sunday, October 09, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »
RAGE defaults to lower video settings to allow the game to work on a wide variety of hardware and software configurations. Unfortunately, it is not possible to anticipate all possible graphics driver issues in combination with unique end user hardware and software configurations. For this reason RAGE does not automatically increase video/graphics settings as this could result in negative side effects on specific  hardware and software configurations. The original release of RAGE does not expose many video/graphics options for people to tweak because some of these settings, although desirable from a quality perspective, simply will not work on specific configurations either due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs. Due to popular demand for more video and graphics options, this patch updates the video settings menu and exposes several quality and performance settings. However, not everyone may be able to increase the settings due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs.

Uh, that's why there are graphics APIs like DirectX and OpenGL to hide the various configurations.  It's almost like a console-only company decided to make a PC game.  Except this is id Software!  Legends of PC gaming!

I didn't think it was possible, but it seems that id has completely ruined its reputation with this release.  Like I said before, I expected sort of a ho-hum game but I never for a second thought there would be any technical issues at all.  The worst part is that it is getting even worse!

What's funny is that yesterday I read Ars Technica's review of the game.  It was a slam, and it was the console version they were reviewing!  The author said he wanted to reserve final judgement until he saw the PC release, which of course is a disaster.

Carmack, get out of your rocket or rename the company.  This is no longer id Software.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #119 on: Sunday, October 09, 2011, 11:33:30 PM »
Well fortunately I haven't been hit with too many technical issues anymore, texture pop in isnt noticeable playing the game normally and it runs really well on my machine. So now technical issues aside I wanted to talk about the actual game.

It's really freakin good. The shooting is completely top notch and the simple crafting system that's there makes finding loot a little bit of a joy. I like finding parts for building robots and sentry guns and they can be quite useful in parts. The varying ammo types have their uses too. I came upon my first heavily armored dude and almost forgot I had feltrite armor peircing rounds for my AK and used the small amount I had to take him down. Even the sniper rifle is useful for in door situations. The console version has a gun carry limit of 4, but on the PC you have access to all of them all key binded to the number keys. You can switch ammo types by pressing the number key for that gun multiple times. You can bring up a small radial menu to switch ammo types but it will only do it for just the 4 weapons in your equipped guns list, I know, its another console mechanic that should have been fixed for the PC or removed altogether.

The driving parts are also pretty fun, nothing really too deep but its competent enough to be enjoyed when taking breaks from the shooting. Racing more allows you to upgrade your vehicle more. The races themselves aren't too difficult but the AI drivers can sometimes put up a good fight. Controlling a vehicle with keyboard WASD controls isn't ideal and I would prefer to use a controller but I still manage pretty well.

And that's pretty much it so far, the side quest stuff has all been fairly simple quests but they aren't all the same. Some are fetch quests, others are sniper ones, and there's courier missions to do with your vehicle. All of this put together plus a really beautifully realized world makes for a very immersive and not a complete shallow experience. I like Brad's description of it being a "meat and potatoes" kind of game.