Author Topic: So, who is getting "Spore"  (Read 19763 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: So, who is getting "Spore"
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 10:29:30 AM »
That's a shame about Crysis -- being torrented to holy hell. Especially with it often going for now $19.99 or $29.99. Crysis is a great shooter.

In a recent podcast with PCG, Cevat Yerli said Crysis has now sold 1.5 million. Again with 8 million 8800 series cards sold alone, he has reason to be disappointed. He said on IGN that he was happy people were playing it heh.

Are you saying none of The Sims games even been torrented?

Ummm no. I am saying that from the ten most torrented games, they didn't make the list. I am sure they are torrented lots... but not enough to beat any of the others. Again this is what I saw for 2007...

I wouldn't say I hate The Sims; I actually loved The Sims.
Never bought Sims 2; waiting for a Complete Pack.

Sure... but most of us, the interest in The Sims lasts around the first in every new iteration. None of the core gamers seem to give a rat's ass about the expansions, yet they sell like hotcakes.

Keyword here is "was." Do you really think it'll still sell well (like it did upon its release), once the word keeps spreading about its nasty DRM? B/c really, the DRM just seems to keep on escalating more and more; not dieing down when we talk about this game's DRM and its one user per PC limit

Actually it is still in the top 5 still. The games ahead are your Wows and the new Sims games... plus the flavor of the month... Dawn of War. I feel Spore will be in the top 5 for a while. Again this is only on Amazon.

On NPD, that counts full retail, Spore is still at no1.

How will your casual Joe runs into issues b/c of the game's DRM?? Will he join the parades of those against the DRM and boycott EA until they do something about the DRM that is a little bit more acceptable? Will he turn into a pirate, eventually?

That's cool.
But, I wonder how they'll react when the DRM gets in their way, for some reason...

As for when the DRM gets in their way, I don't know... but it should be a while before they need to go past that third install. By the time they run into trouble -- if any -- their cash would have been long gone.

Again, the DRM is shit, and I won't buy the game because of it... but I don't think average Joe will get it. (as in average Joe won't see the DRM as an obstacle)
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 01:34:34 PM by Pugnate »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
The average Joe doesn't know what DRM is or even has any idea that it's on Spore or any other game for that matter.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »
The average Joe doesn't know what DRM is or even has any idea that it's on Spore or any other game for that matter.
Haha makes the average PC gamer feel gifted! ;D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »

Yup, which is why I roll my eyes at people thinking that the Amazon protest will make a significant impact on sales.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »
They'll know what DRM is when they let family members install the game on their PC and -- oh, no! We're out of installs!

Should we call EA?
Or buy another copy of Spore?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 11:48:25 PM »
We already talked about this a page ago. The average Joe gamer isn't likely to be impacted by this as much, at least immediately. This will affect the core gamers more -- if they don't crack their copy -- who are more likely to format their systems regularly, or change pieces of hardware.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 04:45:05 AM »
Has anyone tried Spore:Origins?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 05:59:58 AM »
We already talked about this a page ago. The average Joe gamer isn't likely to be impacted by this as much, at least immediately.
Exactly, Pug, that's my point -- what will they do, if they do run into this pain-in-the-ass issue sometime way down the line? Of course, that's if EA hasn't changed things via a patch.

Do you think they'll start to try and learn more about computers and become more like us "core gamers" (who know stuff about PC's)? Maybe learn on his own on how to become a pirate? Maybe even turn into one? Or just stay Casual Joe, doing what EA probably hopes for and Joe goes out to buy another copy (if it's still expensive)?

This will affect the core gamers more -- if they don't crack their copy -- who are more likely to format their systems regularly, or change pieces of hardware.
Of course.

But, w/ things like CC's Firedog and BB's Geek Squad, Casual Joe Gamer could get his PC upgraded by them. Maybe he asks the worker why his PC ain't running said game, and the guy tells him he'll upgrade his RAM and Vid Card. Then, oh no -- Casual Joe might run into an issue with DRM b/c he changed significant hardware -- go back to my second paragraph now, as those questions can be asked again.
(I don't feel like copy and pasting them; too lazy.)

EA doesn't represent a lot of the companies that treat PC gamers right like CD Projekt and Stardock, for starters. Even Valve (of all companies with STEAM and their limitations) is more fair than EA now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 07:11:34 AM »
Has anyone tried Spore:Origins?

No, but it's basically just the cell stage of Spore, which I can't imagine being amused by for long.  You swim around and eat food pellets, and... that's basically it.  One of the guys on the Gamers With Jobs podcast said he'd put several hours into it on his iPhone because you tilt it sort of the way flOw works on PS3 with the sixaxis, which is kind of cool, but I have no idea how you could have an attention span so vast that the cell stage would remain interesting for more than an hour.  Even that's pushing it.  Like I said, it's the greatest case of wasted potential I've ever seen, just because the setup itself is extremely compelling and would be so ridiculously easy to build upon.  Give it to an indie developer and you'd see something totally awesome come out of it, maybe a hybrid thing like Starscape.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »
The same average Joe who is blissfully ignorant of the DRM evil is likely to be ignorant about how to use bittorrents.  If it's more complicated than a download link, it will go over his head.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »
Sounds like Spore Patch 1.1 is causing lots of stability issues w/ the game. A lot of people get frequent crashes, only after installing this patch.

Spore Patch Issues  [September 21, 2008, 1:33 pm ET] - Viewing Comments

Spore Patch Thread Problems & Solutions on the Spore Forum (the Sporum) outlines problems users are having with the newly released version 1.1 patch for Spore (story) along with possible solutions and workarounds. There seems to be reason for concern based on this Stability Poll on the Sporum, as a very limited sampling (100 votes as of this writing) indicates 36% of all respondents and 42% of those who have installed the patch are having stability issues after patching. Thanks James.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 05:49:20 PM »
Brad Wardell of Stardock opens up on Spore DRM

Brad Wardell on Spore DRM and the Gamer's Bill of Rights
Stardock CEO seeks a middle ground where DRM can thrive without being intrusive.
By Robert Ashley, 09/23/2008

The latest DRM scandal is upon us. It seems that every few months now, PC gamers take up their pitchforks and storm the Internet with anti-anti-piracy furor. DRM, short for digital rights management, has been unpopular with a certain tech-savvy crowd for years, but the outcry over the limitations placed on this year's biggest PC game, Spore, is unprecedented. The game continues to receive a downpour of one-star ratings by Amazon.com users (average current rating: one-and-one-half stars), and many online pundits speculate that the game, which hit file sharing sites before the game's release, is well on its way to becoming the most pirated game in history. Already, two separate concessions have been made to the angry mob: Electronic Arts, the game's publisher, upgraded the number of installs customers get per disc from three (installed on different machines) to five. Later, they added the ability to allow multiple players to have their own accounts on a single copy, since in its original form, Spore wouldn't allow different members of the same household to play their own games on one disc.

It's not like EA is out to rip their customers off. When it comes to DRM, PC gaming is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Facing a piracy challenge far worse than game consoles, which require mod chips and a certain amount of know-how to cheat the system, PC game publishers are increasingly unwilling to invest in the kind of big budget, top-of-the-line technology games that have always been the platform's focus, only to have the product of that investment zapped around the world for free in an instant. Meanwhile, the core constituency of the PC gaming market uses any infraction or inconvenience associated with DRM as an excuse to hit the torrent sites.

When Stardock, publisher of Sins of Solar Empire and operator of the new-kid-on-the-block digital distribution network, Impulse, released their "Gamer's Bill of Rights" last month, they may have hit upon a compromise. A list of principles Stardock (and anyone else who wants the label on their box) will adhere to, the GBR promises, among other things, to never install hidden drivers or programs that control aspects of your computer without your permission (a major point of contention with many forms of DRM). It also promises that after purchasing a game, a customer will always be allowed to re-download and install that game as many times as they like.

"I think most consumers understand that developers need to protect their intellectual property," says Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock. "What I think consumers are getting tired of is seeing lazy, ineffective, and intrusive methods used." Wardell doesn't oppose piracy protection measures, only sloppy, vague implementations of those measures. He thinks that Spore's online activation, which has caused so much consternation, could have been much smarter. "The whole activation thing could be relatively painless if even a minor amount of effort was put into it," says Wardell. "There's a big difference between three activations coming from the same IP address in a week and three activations coming from different parts of the world. Our non-game software takes that into account which is why you so rarely see complaints -- most of our non-game customers don't even know there is an activation because it's handled during installation seamlessly."

That's the rub in this ongoing Spore saga. The game calls home to make sure you bought it, much the same way Impulse or Valve's ubiquitous Steam platform do. Only, you never hear mass complaints about Valve's last big offering, The Orange Box. That's because Steam stays out of your way, gives you the freedom to install anywhere you play games, and on top of it all adds value to your experience with automatic updating, easy installing, and the best social gaming tools around.

"What it takes is in each game trying to find ways to reward people for buying the product," says Wardell. "In EA's case, I think they could have beefed up the online component of the game further. They already have quite a bit of that in, but they could have taken it further so that more of the 'good stuff' is obtained online, and then they could have had the account validation occur then."
Right. That's why Stardock does so well -- you can play their game, as is, out the box. Ain't got to dial-up or anything. But, if you want the patch, you'll have to get it from them online, nobody else AND verify your copy's legit. Sounds fair to me.

An that is what the Witcher did, if you wanted the free update to Witcher: EE -- and it works just fine, as a gimmick. You want to use your offline product without the new stuff? Fine. Nothing forced on you.

But, do you want the new extra content? Only one place to get that -- online. That's how most of us get the updates. Get online, verify you own the copy -- and then it's all yours.

So, is all of this drama -- the din of a million nerds hyperventilating at their keyboard -- justified? "I hate to say it but yes, to a large extent it is justified," says Wardell. "EA has every right to protect their intellectual property. But what exactly is their objective? The super-casual pirate who gives the game to their neighbor or coworker isn't affected because it allows five activations. The torrent pirates were probably never going to buy it anyway and had the game day one. So in this particular case, the DRM seems to be the worst of all possible worlds."
Exactly, Brad.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 06:26:01 PM »
Well it's good to see that they are allowing multiple players on one copy now.  That was completely retarded, since there was no way at all to have more than one player account on a computer even if you purchased Spore a hundred times over.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 05:03:01 AM »
I guess I don't get it, because it doesn't seem funny to me at all.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 05:45:40 AM »
I lolled.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »
EA being sued over Securom being used for Spore DRM without any warning.
Class-action lawsuit.

EA Sued Over Spore DRM
[Ure "Vader" Paul]
11:14 am EDT @ September 24th, 2008
Filed under: EA, MYTHIC, SPORE

Courthouse News Service reports that a class action lawsuit has been filed in U.S. District Court. Maryland resident Melissa Thomas has filed a class action lawsuit against publisher Electronic Arts, accusing the company of unlawful and deceptive conduct. The lawsuit refers to the automatic SecuROM installation, which occurs without asking confirmation, when the user installs Spore, the latest "virtual reality simulation game." Also, the user isn't provided with the means to remove it, even after uninstalling the game, as stated in the lawsuit.

The report continues:

Consumers are not warned about the program, which is installed without notice and cannot be uninstalled, even if the uninstall Spore, the complaint states. The secret SecuROM program is "secretly installed to the command and control center of the computer (Ring 0, or the Kernel), and surreptitiously operated, overseeing function and operation on the computer, preventing the computer from operating under certain circumstances and/or disrupting hardware operations," the complaint states.

Right now, EA's invincible super-clone lawyers are plotting away... I wouldn't want to be in Melissa's shoes when they're done.

Isn't it stated somewhere in the EULA, actually?
They usually are.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 06:58:45 PM »
<Newsradio reference>Godspeed, fair wizard.</Newsradio reference>

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #99 on: Thursday, September 25, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
Like I said D, the game will easily sell 5 million... at least. It is projected to sell two million in one month...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 12:51:03 AM »
Wow, so I kind of thought everyone had overhyped the game in their heads and then were just being bitches when they found out it was a game like every other.  I bought it today, and am sad to say I was kind of wrong.  Like, it's not really even fun.  Sure, I'm just at the creature stage, but so far it's really boring.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #101 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 05:22:41 AM »
Wow, so I kind of thought everyone had overhyped the game in their heads and then were just being bitches when they found out it was a game like every other.  I bought it today, and am sad to say I was kind of wrong.  Like, it's not really even fun.  Sure, I'm just at the creature stage, but so far it's really boring.
Just played it a short while ago. I made it to the SPace-fairing stage. It is boring as fook. I agree with Que that some stages pass by too quickly without letting really enjoy their meat. The rest of this game os so dull and lacking (clearly for expansion plans).

I'm glad I tried it out at a friend's place and didn't waste any cash on it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #102 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »
Xessive has a friend named Azureus.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »
He's related to my friend ABC.  Even he couldn't motivate me to get this game.  I just don't see the huge appeal.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #104 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »
I picked this up 2 weeks ago and made it to the space stage a couple days ago.

It's definitely way too short and way too easy.  Each phase is far too simplistic and too brief for you to really get you to enjoy each phase.  The Cell phase lasts 10 minutes.  The creature phase lasts 1 hour.  The tribal phase lasts about 1-2 hours.  The civilization stage lasts less than 1 hour.  The space stage is endless, but isn't as fun as it appears to be.

Still there is a certain charm to it when making your own creatures, vehicles, and buildings. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #105 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »
Xessive has a friend named Azureus.
Haha I woulda donwloaded it but I'd rather not waste my time or bother with the EA DRM crap. My dear froggy friend is an excellent provider of certain flicks and sing-a-long songs though.

P.S. uTorrent kicks ass.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 04:17:52 PM »
Fuck, so basically I have nothing to look forward to.  Damn they just made the presentations for this game waaaay too good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #107 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
Fuck, so basically I have nothing to look forward to.  Damn they just made the presentations for this game waaaay too good.
It has a lot of good ideas, it just doesn't take full advantage of them.

The best function so far is the creature creator but even that is lacking.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #108 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
So I got this game yesterday.  I'm on the creature stage.  I don't see what's do appealing about this game.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #109 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »
What I think is cool about it is how you can build your creature and it will use the limbs and it will move accordingly to how you build your creature.

Beyond that the game isn't anything special.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »
Yeah, I haven't gone back to the game and doubt I will.  Much ado about nothing, I say.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 11:06:35 PM »
I am just dumbfounded by how publishers get to pick which reviewer reviews their game. This game was reviewed by Kristen Salvator of PC GAMER and given a 92%. Her review read like a love letter to Will Wright -- I am not kidding.

Dan Stapleton, theie strategy resident was allowed to weigh in at the end of the review, and tore the game apart.

I guess it would have been a disaster for them had they allowed him to give it a negative review.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »
It's very interesting reading the metacritic stuff for the game.  The critic scores are generally high, but if you read the blurbs, a lot of them are kind of "this is awesome, but..." or "despite the flaws, this is great" or "there's this major issue here, but we don't really care".  It's weird.  And the user response from people who regularly play games has been generally quite bad.  Not everyone dislikes it... I know a couple guys that dig it, and Julia played it a little bit and thought it was quite fun, but it all comes back to how much you love the "this is a toy" aspect of it, because the actual game part just really isn't there.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »
Well, in the end it begs the question: what constitutes a game? Is it the money spent on it?

I haven't played Spore so I can't comment on it but I see these games come out for $10 or $20 that are every bit as enjoyable as the big budget games. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 11:52:43 PM »
This to me kind of smacks of Black & White.  Innovative game that's highly anticipated and is very well received critically upon release, yet a lot of users are like WTF after they play it for a bit, and later on down the road most critics don't know what the hell they were smoking when they wrote their reviews.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 12:06:30 AM »
Interesting comparison.

I remember Black & White becoming much less fun after a portal (or whirlpool, or something weird). In any case, it didn't have enough of whatever it was before that point. It seems like Spore suffers from the some of the same symptoms.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 12:08:30 AM »
It's very interesting reading the metacritic stuff for the game.  The critic scores are generally high, but if you read the blurbs, a lot of them are kind of "this is awesome, but..." or "despite the flaws, this is great" or "there's this major issue here, but we don't really care".  It's weird.  And the user response from people who regularly play games has been generally quite bad.  Not everyone dislikes it... I know a couple guys that dig it, and Julia played it a little bit and thought it was quite fun, but it all comes back to how much you love the "this is a toy" aspect of it, because the actual game part just really isn't there.

That's exactly how I've seen it during the past week, and like yourself, I have found it really odd. I actually haven't played the game yet as I am not willing to throw $50 its way, but the core gamers have been quite disappointed.

The weird thing is that from every publication/website, I noticed most of the staff being vocal about their disappointments with game either on their podcasts, or their forums, yet they weren't the ones to review the game.

The funniest thing for me was PC GAMER, which by every right should have allowed Dan Stapleton to review the game, but handed it over to Kristen Salvatore instead. Well I guess she took it since she is the EiC.

Here is the review: (they post their reviews online almost immediately now)

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/spore/review/spore/a-20080903161719295065/g-2006022417441549006

It starts with:

"DEAR WILL WRIGHT,

May I call you Will?
"

It is actually a decent review from Kristen, but the 91% score seems very undeserved to me, and the whole "I love Will" thing was nauseating.

Here is what Dan Stapleton had to say at the end of the review:

P.S.: A Note From Our RTS Guru
In the process of creating a form of real-time strategy gameplay accessible to even RTS-averse gamers like Kristen, Spore’s Civilization phase is infuriatingly simplistic to anyone who’s accessed an RTS in the past decade. There are only three units to choose from (land, air, and sea), reducing it to a near-literal game of Rock-Paper-Scissors (in fact, someone’s probably already made units that strongly resemble rocks, paper, and scissors). Standard interface features like control groups are completely absent, and balance-wise, there isn’t even a hint of how religious or industrious societies are supposed to knock down swarms of militaristic societies’ air units. And of course, the lack of multiplayer is really going to hurt replayability, especially once you figure out that even in hard mode, the AI doesn’t bother to defend its resources. This is definitely a strategy game built for people who don’t like the things that are generally considered to make strategy games interesting. -Dan Stapleton

a) Why the hell wasn't he allowed to review, when he reviewed every other RTSish title during the past two years?
b) Why was this the same at most publications, where the RTS "experts" only vented on the forums etc, and weren't allowed near the review.

I guess it could have to do with the appeal of the game, where it is less about the strategy, and more about the charm.

This to me kind of smacks of Black & White.  Innovative game that's highly anticipated and is very well received critically upon release, yet a lot of users are like WTF after they play it for a bit, and later on down the road most critics don't know what the hell they were smoking when they wrote their reviews.

haha right... Black & White had a lot of fantastic extras on top, but an hour later it turned out to be just another strategy game... minus the strategy. But its reviews were crazy positive initially, and lol most of those very reviewers are extremely sheepish about it now.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 12:16:21 AM »
I kind of forced myself to play a bit more last night and started liking it a slightly more, but still have mixed feelings. I'll probably play more before I throw down total judgement.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »
Apparently it picks up at the space stage...

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 01:13:12 AM »
Yeah I play this game.  It's all about the space stage really.  Theres so much to do and you are constantly busy defending yourself and allies.