Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2  (Read 17384 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Assassin's Creed 2
« on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »
OLDER - 12/18/2010:
AC2 PC Version = $7.50 to download from Ubisoft with Ubi's U-Play DRM.

OLDEST:
Some info revealed on AC2

Assassin's Creed Sequel Learns to Swim
by Chris Faylor Oct 13, 2008 4:31pm CST tags: Assassins Creed
Work on the sequel to last year's open-world old-time murder simulator Assassin's Creed is still progressing at developer Ubistoft Montreal, according to a new interview with the studio's Prince of Persia animation director David Wilkinson.

After praising the efforts of animator Alex Drouin, Wilkinson told AusGamers that Drouin is "busy making [Assassin's Creed lead] Altair even more beautiful, adding that the last time he saw Dourin's work he "was getting Altair to swim."

The original Assassin's Creed (PC, PS3, 360) broke sales records for publisher Ubisoft, and a sequel was confirmed by the Associated Press last December.

In June, Ubisoft North American president Laurent Detoc informed Forbes that there would be no new Assassin's Creed in 2008, but noted that "when we bring [the franchise] back, there will be more anticipation for it."

No other details on the Assassin's Creed sequel are available, though Ubisoft Montreal's latest Prince of Persia (PC, PS3, 360) effort will hit retailers on December 2. Thanks to Joystiq for the tip.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 09:32:30 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Assassin's Creed 2 Thread
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 06:04:54 PM »
Sweet.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 02:03:48 AM »
Did you guys actually like this game? I was late to the party, and I was somewhat disappointed.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 05:34:42 AM »
I liked it overall. There were a few disappointments and cut content but all-in-all I thought it was a quality product. I still have it installed! Every once in a while I'll feel like running across rooftops and stealth-assassinating Templars :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 05:56:34 AM »
Initially I reacted quite positively to it, as I think a lot of the work they put in was used to amazing effect, but the gameplay definitely didn't hold up for me.  I couldn't understand the reviewer reaction at first, but after a little time I began to understand it.  The gameplay is the same shit over and over again, and while initially compelling, it just doesn't have the legs it needs to carry a whole game.  Too, the stealth elements are sort of stilted and idiotic, and I feel retarded running into a group of scholar dudes and bowing my head while the guards run past.  It's just so unintelligent.

Still, the amazing parts of the game are amazing.  The sheer design of the world and the method they used to have you scale everything so effortlessly are both groundbreaking, and I'm excited to see what they do with that.  I do hope they evolve the climbing to be a little more relevant (multiple paths, more dead ends that could potentially lead to disaster, etc.), but then I also hope they evolve the combat, which really wasn't challenging in the least with how easy it was to insta-kill dudes on a parry, and evolve the stealth mechanics which were so stupid and broken.  Because the core design of the game is just plain awesome.

And there needs to be a way to get hints as to where the last flags are, because it's nearly impossible to find them all with the way it's set up now, and once you realize that you totally aren't compelled to bother with them anymore.  The hunt for flags was actually quite fun, as was finding the templars (who were way, way too easy to kill), but while that stuff was great fun in the wilderness, it lost a lot of its appeal in the cities because of the way they were set up.  I think that needs to be addressed as well.  Not to mention the whole concept of assassinating guys, which I really think they could have done better.  The primary assassinations just didn't have the impact they needed.  They needed to be longer, more drawn out, and more potent and exciting, maybe with more puzzle-like solutions.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 06:39:02 AM »
It can get monotonous with all the repetitious investigations. I'm hoping they'll address that with the 2nd game as it was a common complaint among fans.

I think the game is basically a high-quality GTA in medieval Arabia with Ninjas.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 07:00:12 AM »
It felt almost as if they were more intent with creating an amazing engine, than having tighter and more purposeful gameplay. I'll probably get back to it again, as I haven't gotten past the second town yet even.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 07:02:21 AM »
I think the GTA feel is part of the problem.  It doesn't work for a game that focused on itself and its objectives.  The core gameplay needs to be much tighter than the loose chaos of a GTA game unless they decide to add in 8 billion stupid minigames and side objectives that are just fun to fuck around with.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
I loved it for what it did, rather than hate it for what it didn't.  It's true that some aspects get repetitive and monotonous, but my initial reactions held up pretty well while I played the game (for weeks):  I didn't care what the reviewers were saying; I wanted to do what I was seeing in the videos.  That experience was never a letdown.  Big beautiful ancient world where I can soar.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »
Ive read a bunch about AC since I've played it. One of the more interesting things is how the "GPS" and map weren't added until much later in development. While you can't get rid of the map (you can just not open it), you can turn the GPS off. This supposedly changes how repetitive the game feels.

With the GPS on, each "investigation" was simply go to a waypoint and do whatever it is they told you to do. Without it, finding the area to go was its own reward. You had to listen to what people said, you had to use the clues given to you, and you had to search out everything yourself. I noticed all this detailed info and clues to finding the missions in the menus...and it seemed odd to have all that since it really was as easy as following the waypoint. You never had to even look at that stuff.

Anyway, I think the next time I play AC I'm going to turn that off and see how it feels. Even though I've played through the game already, I doubt Im going to remember where everything is.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 01:39:21 PM »
Did you guys actually like this game? I was late to the party, and I was somewhat disappointed.

How can we like AC2 when it ain't even out yet? :P

I ain't played ACPC yet. I'm not spending $30 or more on a game in which I don't meet the processor requirement.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 02:26:56 PM »
He's obviously talking about the first game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »
He's obviously talking about the first game.

I know he is. I'm being a wise-ass.

Hence how my my 2nd lines talks about the first AC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »
I certainly wouldn't say I dislike the game, because I thought it was brilliant for what it did right.  And even though it gets monotonous, what's there is still solid, even if not solid through the entire expanse of the game.  It's mostly just disappointing to me because I love the world, but now that I've gone through most of it I just don't have any desire to play it again.  I want to see the world again, but the game itself doesn't interest me even a little bit anymore.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
Ive read a bunch about AC since I've played it. One of the more interesting things is how the "GPS" and map weren't added until much later in development. While you can't get rid of the map (you can just not open it), you can turn the GPS off. This supposedly changes how repetitive the game feels.

With the GPS on, each "investigation" was simply go to a waypoint and do whatever it is they told you to do. Without it, finding the area to go was its own reward. You had to listen to what people said, you had to use the clues given to you, and you had to search out everything yourself. I noticed all this detailed info and clues to finding the missions in the menus...and it seemed odd to have all that since it really was as easy as following the waypoint. You never had to even look at that stuff.

Anyway, I think the next time I play AC I'm going to turn that off and see how it feels. Even though I've played through the game already, I doubt Im going to remember where everything is.

That's an interesting point.  I love finding ways to replay favorites with a new twist.  Why not?  I can't afford new games for a while anyway.

Que, I definitely understand where you're coming from.  I agree with much of what you said, in particular the stupid flags.  I spent so much time trying to collect them, only to end up giving up, because of how impossible the last few become to find.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »
I pretty much ignored the flags. If I was running around and saw one I would collect it, but there was no way to realistically collect them all, so why bother? Its not like you got anything for doing so.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »
I pretty much ignored the flags. If I was running around and saw one I would collect it, but there was no way to realistically collect them all, so why bother? Its not like you got anything for doing so.
I just treated them as checkpoints since the game autosaves as soon as you pick one up. The only ones I actually sought after were the ones in Masyaf (only 25 I think).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 12:33:03 PM »
I did complete some of the groups, but it became such a joyless chore that I abandoned it.  I know I get nothing for it (and 360 achievements don't substantially change that for me).  But I do like to complete everything in games as a general rule.  I'll only go so far for that.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 01:04:58 PM »
I ended up getting 97/100 Kingdom flags and just gave up.  With no way of knowing which 3 I missed, searching the Kingdom randomly is just a waste of time.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 07:05:41 AM »
The new era for the game does sound intriguing. How often do we really see the setting in a game? It's like an untapped resource.

Personally I was excited to see a feudal Japan possibility but there's a lot of potential in the French Revolution theme. Imagine the architecture and scenery! With Ubisoft Montréal on the project I would predict great things for the sequel.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #21 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 08:17:14 AM »
I'm sold. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 09:53:14 AM »
Yeah, that could be utterly amazing.  That would be a fantastic setting.  I don't know how well it would fit with all the ninja shit, but still.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »
Yeah, that could be utterly amazing.  That would be a fantastic setting.  I don't know how well it would fit with all the ninja shit, but still.
I can see it working with the architecture, just as it did with the original, but I also see potential for catacombs and underpasses. They might even touch the pastoral French countryside. It's a pretty broad setting at least until we get a sense of what direction they'll take with it.

I'm trying to imagine the scale of an 18th-19th century Paris being incorporated into a game!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »
I know.  They did an absolutely amazing job incorporating the setting into the first game, I imagine they'd do wonders with that in a sequel.  I dunno' how they'd build a similar game around it exactly, as it would seem to not transfer over so well verbatim, but just the chance to see such a lively vision of that setting would probably make the rest of it worth it anyway (much like it did in the first game -- I did eventually get bored with the game, but the setting is still rich and provocative).

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #25 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 04:08:41 PM »
I'm not really worried about the environments; I'm sure they will be as good as the first. I'm wondering how the gameplay will be.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #26 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »
If it will exist beyond what a 10 year old can dream up...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
If it will exist beyond what a 10 year old can dream up...
Unless that 10 year old is some sort of ninja-genius!

The story is the other part I'm curious about. Hope they tell it in a more compelling way than the original (and that the ending is a bit more satisfying).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 12:49:44 AM »
I am actually a bit shocked they are making AC2 a legitamite sequel.

I really, truly thought AC was going to have a sequel in the same setting with a better campaign and tighter gameplay. I was actually convinced AC1 achieved 75% of what the team probably wanted to do with that project.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 11:14:53 AM »
I picked up Assassin's Creed at Game Crazy yesterday for 9.99.  It was one of their black friday deals.  They also had The Darkness for 5 bucks.  Did they make like 8 million more copies of that game than they should have? 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 12:24:18 PM »
Man.  The Darkness was so bloody awesome.  That game doesn't deserve to be five bucks.  That's a steal.  Actually, ten bucks is a pretty great deal for AC, too.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 01:03:41 PM »
I picked up Assassin's Creed at Game Crazy yesterday for 9.99.  It was one of their black friday deals.  They also had The Darkness for 5 bucks.  Did they make like 8 million more copies of that game than they should have? 

Fuck you.  Murderer.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »
Man.  The Darkness was so bloody awesome.  That game doesn't deserve to be five bucks.  That's a steal.  Actually, ten bucks is a pretty great deal for AC, too.

Yeah, I mean it's a good game.  It's just weird to me that they're basically doing to it what they did to MK Deadly Alliance a few years ago, and that's just giving it away in droves.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »
I imagine both games have sold more or less all they're going to really sell.  I think The Darkness was at that stage a long time ago.  It didn't get nearly the attention it deserved either from consumers or from the media.  And AC got enough middling press that by now people who like it already have it, and those who were swayed away from it probably aren't going to change their minds.  Some games can exist on middle ground for a fairly long while, but I can see why those two might not.  It's pure speculation, of course, but I can see potential reasons why.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »
AC2 - Teaser WebSite Revealed
AC2 Teaser WebSite Revealed - click me!

Kotaku News on AC2 Teaser
Kotaku's report on this teaser

The official Assassin's Creed web site gives us a brief taste of the second entry in the series and clues us in on when we can expect concrete details on Assassin's Creed 2—next Thursday.

The teaser consists of little more than a short Flash animation, rendered in a hand drawn style noticeably similar to that of Leonardo da Vinci's inventions—focusing on the concealed blade Altair used in the original—and his Vitruvian Man. The final drawing hints at some sort of winged contraption that may indicate we'll be doing some flying (or at least some floating/humming of the Batman theme song) in the sequel.

The teaser also notes that we'll see more in the upcoming issue of Game Informer, with the date April 16, 2009 presumably indicating when the games mag is allowed to lift the veil on Ubisoft's sequel.

Given the Italian pedigree of the teaser, we'd think those rumored details of Assassin's Creed 2 taking place in Venice are sounding more and more likely. We're sure to know by next Thursday. Keep an eye peeled!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #35 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »
Cool, already anxious about it.

I was looking up some history in the Cultural Foundation (it's the cultural education centre and library in Abu Dhabi), and they had some interesting books on the Knights of the Temple of Solomon (aka the Knights Templars), and various other records on Islamic and general Arabic activity and development around the time and from sifting through the information Renaissance France seems like the logical choice for AC2 as it was the setting for the next big event involving the Templars since 12th Century Jerusalem, it suggested that they set up shop in France until they were pointed out and so followed their suppression, on the King's order, for all sorts of criminal and "sinful" activity . Funky stuff.

I'm looking forward to AC2.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Assassin's Creed 2 THREAD
« Reply #36 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »
Can't wait.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 05:24:16 PM »
I hope that AC2 doesn't have...

AC1 Spoilers
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #38 on: Monday, April 13, 2009, 08:13:16 AM »
Image of main character leaked!

According to Game Informer, Assassin's Creed 2's main hero is Ezio Auditore de Firenze, a nobleman of Florence from 1476. Ezio is yet another genetic predecessor of Desmond's.

Ezio will be able to swim and will have access to a gliding machine at DaVinci's workshop. The game will also feature more varied missions than the original Assassin's Creed.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #39 on: Monday, April 13, 2009, 12:09:56 PM »
His uniform looks for too much like altair's, to me. I realize they do that because they have to establish some sort of recognition, but still. It doesn't look like it belongs in that setting.