Author Topic: Brutal Legend to be published by...ugh...EA  (Read 18691 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Brutal Legend to be published by...ugh...EA
« on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »
Damnit.

EA finally starts publishing games I want, but their bullshit makes me not want them anyway.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Brutal Legend to be published by...ugh...EA
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »
1.  Just be glad it got picked up by someone.

2.  Maybe EA will treat it correctly and give the game some semblance of a marketing push so it will have the chance for success that Psychonauts didn't.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
Fuck.  Well, there goes my day.  No PC version and now EA-published, plus Jack Black doing other shit to piss me off.  Maybe I'll just skip it and call it a day.  It's not like I have the money anyway.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »
1.  Just be glad it got picked up by someone.

2.  Maybe EA will treat it correctly and give the game some semblance of a marketing push so it will have the chance for success that Psychonauts didn't.

I completely agree. I may dislike EA, but if they're the ones Tim Shaffer has to go through to get another one of his games out, then that works for me. Better to be released this way, than nothing at all.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 09:52:54 PM »
I really don't see how the publisher should affect anyone's decision to buy the game.  A good game is a good game, no matter who has their stamp on it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »
EA + DRM + Online Activation = affects my decision.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 11:24:14 PM »
Not with this it won't, though, since Tim already failed us on the PC front. Which made me sad enough to begin with.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »
Has he said no PC version or they simply havent confirmed one?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 01:03:26 AM »
Hmm.  It's been a while since I heard it, but I'm fairly sure he shot that idea down.  I don't know that for a fact, but I remember being fairly upset.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 08:45:16 AM »
From the Double Fine FAQ:

OMG! Upon which platforms will I be able I play this amazing game Brütal Legend?

The currently-announced platforms for Brütal Legend are the XBOX 360, and the PlayStation 3.

What? No PC version? I've always hated you, Double Fine! Now I know why.

Please, no hate. No one ever said there WASN'T going to be a PC version.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »
Well, it doesn't matter either way now, since if they've gone with EA a PC version may as well not exist since it will be crippled and useless.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 01:13:12 PM »
Well, it doesn't matter either way now, since if they've gone with EA a PC version may as well not exist since it will be crippled and useless.
Sad but true.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 07:25:22 PM »

But you have a 360 and a PS3.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »

It's bad, but it's not that bad (from what I've seen).  I bought both Spore (lame) and Mass Effect and didn't really feel any of the effects of the DRM on either of them.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
facepalm.gif

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 10:47:19 AM »
We can go back and forth with the DRM arguments for years.  And have.

And while I own both consoles, this is Tim Schafer we're talking about here.  PC legacy a mile long.  As a PC enthusiast, it's always going to be very sad to see a guy who's stood by the platform for so long put his first efforts into others.  What's so hard to understand about that?

These may be mostly ideological problems, but when one loses his ideology, what good is he to anyone?  If we have no values, we gradually give way to practices that are harmful.  We give up freedoms.  Even if bad DRM doesn't affect everyone in a bad way, it does affect a lot of people, and it's only going to give way to worse countermeasures if we approve of those already in use.  This logic is not valid in every single circumstance, perhaps, but certainly in the one where we find ourselves now.  Argue that if you like, but you can be sure that I'll call you a shortsighted idiot if you do.  And the PC thing... I'm a PC gamer.  Yeah, I'm also a console gamer, but my first love was the PC and it always will be until the PC itself morphs into something else.  So yeah, it's sad to see a guy who was so long a hero to the PC community turn about and make a game where a PC version isn't even announced, let alone lead platform.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 01:25:13 PM »
This has nothing to do with ideology.  I think what you guys repeatedly fail to comprehend is that ultimately everyone's goal in the game industry is to make money.  Schafer is doing what he needs to do to ensure the success (and survival) of his development company.  Releasing on consoles is the easiest (and best) way to get this game that many people are busting their asses on out to the public.  DoubleFine NEEDS this game to be successful.  The title won't sell nearly as well on PC.  Period.  Like it or not the platform focus in gaming has shifted, and you guys just absolutely refuse to accept that fact. 

Look, I'm just as nostalgic about gaming as you guys are.  But I also have the foresight to see that if game development companies don't change with the times, they don't stay in business. 

The inevitable shitty EA DRM is not Tim Schafer's fault.  Again, he is simply doing what he can to stay in business.  And if that means having a game published by EA, so be it.  Don't fault the guy for trying to feed his family.  Yeah, Schafer's PC legacy is a mile long.  But does that mean he should stick it out with a dying (yes, I said dying) platform and ignore the massive amounts of sales he would garner in the console market?  Fuck no!  He'd be an idiot to do so.  So yeah, why not focus your efforts (and monies) on developing a good game for the platforms you're most likely to have success with?  If you don't want to deal with the DRM, don't buy the game on PC.  Simple as that.  It's not like you don't have other options.  And if you like Tim Schafer and his games, why you wouldn't purchase his game on a console is just flat out beyond me. 

I mean if the PC was the only gaming platform you had access to, then I could see where shitty DRM would be a problem.  But most of you own consoles.  But it seems that you (and others) would rather sit here and bitch about the DRM on the PC version repeatedly than buy the console version and enjoy it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »
Very good post K-Man. Thanks for bringing some balance.

I'd rather Tim Schafer continue to make games, than not make them at all. At the same time, it has to be said, that Psychonauts was a flop on the consoles as well... and "Adventure" gaming has been an unsafe business investment -- regardless of platform -- for a while.

Also, if you think about it, the best adventure games of the past never sold millions of copies. Back then, it was a few hundred thousand that was considered blockbuster. Unfortunately, with all the production values that go in today, those sales are just not good enough anymore. At the same time, you didn't have nearly as huge a PC gaming community as you do today, yet the sales aren't any better.

Plus, I wouldn't say PC gaming is dying. It has started to make a comeback. The tech. gap between it and consoles is widening, and will continue to do so until the next gen. of consoles. Till then PC game sales will continue to get better. Heck., they are apparently already a lot better than last year. From what I read, Fallout 3 sold really well on the PC, better than it did on the PS3, and only 20% less than it did on the 360. Far Cry 2 was a similar story.

Again, I do agree with much of what you say. These people aren't running a charity. I see a lot of sympathy for consumers on these particular forums, but never the poor bastards who sink their life's work into these games.

I also agree with K-Man on the whole ideology thing. Sure, it is great to stick to your legacy and principles, but at the same time, you have to live to fight another day. Tim had a massive disappointment with Psychonauts, and this is his comeback title, which he needs to sell if he wants to develop more games.

How many flops do you think Tim can afford on his resume, before publishers stop investing any money into him, whatsoever? I bet Tim doesn't like this anymore than his diehard fans, but would he rather stick to his principles and flip burgers at McDonalds instead?

Also, what's so great about the PC gaming platform? Well, not the platform, but the community. We are talking about the most selfish bastards here. People who openly talk about pirating games, and aren't even ashamed of pirating $10 titles from independent developers. Are these people really worth protecting? Yea there are a lot of good people who are willing to pay for their purchases, but most just aren't. It was mentioned on PCG's podcast recently that according to an official estimate, there were at least 25 million high end PCs out there, armed with cards at least as powerful as 8800GTs. I mentioned 10 million earlier, but that was just 8800s... Here PCG mentioned 25 million.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
I'd rather Tim Schafer continue to make games, than not make them at all. At the same time, it has to be said, that Psychonauts was a flop on the consoles as well... and "Adventure" gaming has been an unsafe business investment -- regardless of platform -- for a while.

I think Psychonauts' failure is more a testament of Majesco's failure to properly market the game than anything else.  I basically had to hear about the game through word of mouth, and I wasn't even aware Tim Schafer was responsible for the game until I happened to come home with it one day.  I'm not saying that a proper marketing push would have made the game a blockbuster hit, but it certainly would have sold more than 100,000 across the board.

Touching on your last point, I'd say that companies protecting their investment is probably a significant reason why we're seeing less and less focus (and releases) on the PC.  It's rather difficult to pirate a game for a console, yet just about any slack jawed idiot can log into a torrent site and download a PC title.

As to whether PC gaming is dying or not, I really don't want to have that argument here (or anywhere, really).  Both sides of the issue have been beaten to death on the forum, and we'd certainly be flogging a dead horse. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
What the fuck?  I blamed Schafer for nothing at any point.  I'm sad to see a PC guy give up the PC legacy.  Where is there any blame there?  Did I blame him for EA's DRM?  No, I simply complained about EA's DRM being what it always is.

I prefer PC gaming because I prefer it.  You can prefer anything you damn well please.  But why am I not allowed to be sad that a game I was looking forward to from a developer whose first game came to the PC and whose lead guy has a long PC legacy isn't coming to PC?  Sure, I own a 360 and PS3.  But I hate my 360 because it's a piece of junk that doesn't work properly, and no matter how much I like my PS3, the PC is still my preferred platform given a choice between the two.

You say it has nothing to do with ideology, because you're not looking at what I'm saying.  This has nothing to do with Tim Schafer's ideology.  It has everything to do with mine.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 07:35:10 PM »
I don't have a next gen console, and probably wont for a good while yet. PC is my only shot for new games, and the DRM bothers me. Ideology +1.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
I love lamp.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:35:25 PM »
That's helpful.

You know what, you're banned.  BANNED.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
Why? I'm pretty sure that was the smartest thing said in this thread yet.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:44:48 PM »
Fuck you.

Can you really ban him?  He keeps on bringing up my penis.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »
I keep bringing up your penis? When you provide me with a double entendre like that, I wonder why....

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »
Why are you making this so hard?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:55:10 PM »
OK now this is just getting weird. I can only assume you enjoy all the attention that your penis has been getting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »

Unless the PC version drops to $10 at retail stores into the Bargain Bins and the hackers cracked the DRM.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 09:10:14 PM »
What the fuck?  I blamed Schafer for nothing at any point.  I'm sad to see a PC guy give up the PC legacy.  Where is there any blame there?  Did I blame him for EA's DRM?  No, I simply complained about EA's DRM being what it always is.

I prefer PC gaming because I prefer it.  You can prefer anything you damn well please.  But why am I not allowed to be sad that a game I was looking forward to from a developer whose first game came to the PC and whose lead guy has a long PC legacy isn't coming to PC?  Sure, I own a 360 and PS3.  But I hate my 360 because it's a piece of junk that doesn't work properly, and no matter how much I like my PS3, the PC is still my preferred platform given a choice between the two.

You say it has nothing to do with ideology, because you're not looking at what I'm saying.  This has nothing to do with Tim Schafer's ideology.  It has everything to do with mine.

I may have misread you, and if I did I apologize.  But your tone made it seem that Tim Schafer had failed you in some aspect, when in reality all he's trying to do is make a living so he can continue to bring us games.  Your post first talked about Schafer moving his efforts toward console gaming, and then went on to talk about ideology, losing it, and the negative affects associated, which I naturally took as a jab at Schafer's seeming abandonment of the PC market.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 09:20:53 PM »
No, I don't think he's failed us.  I fully understand his logic, but it still makes me sad.  And I know a lot of people don't hate EA or get so wrapped up in business ethics, etc., but I sincerely dislike them as a company and try very hard not to support them.  Hence my own ideology gets in the way of wanting to get this game at all.  I likely will if it turns out well, but I really wish EA hadn't turned out to be the people to pick it up.  I like Pixar, but I hate Disney.  Same thing here.  I like Double Fine, but I hate EA.  It's just not a happy marriage in my book.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
This has nothing to do with ideology.  I think what you guys repeatedly fail to comprehend is that ultimately everyone's goal in the game industry is to make money.
Of course everybody wants to make money.

Schafer is doing what he needs to do to ensure the success (and survival) of his development company.  Releasing on consoles is the easiest (and best) way to get this game that many people are busting their asses on out to the public.  DoubleFine NEEDS this game to be successful.
Of course DF needs this game to be successful. 

About releasing this game on consoles being the best way to get this game out there to sell copies, sure -- namely b/c there is not even as much piracy on the PC as there is on the console. It's not even close.

I really wonder how many copies a game like ACPC would've sold on the PC, if say not one copy was downloaded the pirate way -- b/c that pirated count from BitTorrent ALONE was very high. In the millions.

The title won't sell nearly as well on PC.  Period.  Like it or not the platform focus in gaming has shifted, and you guys just absolutely refuse to accept that fact.

First off, we don't have enough quality adventure game titles on the PC. No wonder that genre is dead on the PC -- very few make them.

The inevitable shitty EA DRM is not Tim Schafer's fault.
Of course not. That's EA being EA.

But by Tim joining up with EA, he is also becoming a part of the problem that is facing PC gaming -- publishers pushing DRM that is killing PC games from selling -- if there is a PC release in the cards at a later said date.

It's a catch-22. Either way, you look at it, the PC gamers lose.

Again, he is simply doing what he can to stay in business.  And if that means having a game published by EA, so be it.  Don't fault the guy for trying to feed his family.  Yeah, Schafer's PC legacy is a mile long.  But does that mean he should stick it out with a dying (yes, I said dying) platform and ignore the massive amounts of sales he would garner in the console market?  Fuck no!  He'd be an idiot to do so.
For any company releasing a PC version at a later said date, you are possibly not going to sell a lot of copies -- especially if your game already sold like hotcakes on the console. Take that and then throw on top of that all the piracy problems the PC has, controversies over DRM, and the chance of a PC port suffering from "the port syndrome," well -- we're likely screwed again.

I think the ideal answer is to do the X-360, PS3, and PC versions at once -- and yes, release them all at once -- BethSoft proved how successful that can be with Fallout 3. This way, no version really suffers from sales -- it's more about the "game's overall sales" here than the usual "Well, the console version was out first and sold 12.2 million (for the PS2), but the PC port that came out later only sold 180,000 copies." (GTA: San Andreas sales, anyone?)

Look at Valve's sales for L4D -- it did most of its sales on the PC. So, I really don't think PC gaming is "dead", as you so put it. I just think that these BIG companies need to learn how to adopt to the new ways the PC gaming model is actually working. And it seems to be more so headed for -- yup, you guessed it, digital distribution, for a better or worse, thanks to such avenues like Steam and Impulse. Even G4WL is going to have a marketplace for digital distribution.

Also, any of the WoW products also will tell you how "dead" PC gaming is. Same goes for -- as much as I kind of hate to say this -- Spore's sales (which sold like crazy despite the piracy insanity) and The Sims series of games (and their expansions).

So yeah, why not focus your efforts (and monies) on developing a good game for the platforms you're most likely to have success with?  If you don't want to deal with the DRM, don't buy the game on PC.  Simple as that.  It's not like you don't have other options.  And if you like Tim Schafer and his games, why you wouldn't purchase his game on a console is just flat out beyond me.
I think b/c many feel, in most cases, the PC version of a game has more to offer than a console -- when the PC version's done correctly and not half-assed, of course. And when companies take advantage of the PC's strengths; which would be modding, the Internet, and ever-changing horsepower of the PC. 

I mean if the PC was the only gaming platform you had access to, then I could see where shitty DRM would be a problem.
I don't own a console -- and I don't plan on jumping ship to the consoles anytime soon.

About DRM on the PC, it's a problem -- and if companies want to use DRM, they should find a business model that works. B/c this current install limit bullshit is a deal breaker for many PC gamers. It forces gamers that own both the PC and console version to do one of the following: go buy the console version b/c it has no DRM, pirate a cracked copy of the PC version, or just boycott the company completely.

But most of you own consoles.  But it seems that you (and others) would rather sit here and bitch about the DRM on the PC version repeatedly than buy the console version and enjoy it.
Console gamers don't have to deal with that BS -- not yet, anyways. I wonder when it'll come, as console versions are getting pirated more so than before (but nowhere even close to a PC version's extent) and with more and more emphasis on games supporting XB-Live and PS Network.

Questions:
How would you feel if the console version got riddled w/ DRM to the point that it required activation over X-Box Live or PlayStation Network?

How would you feel if the console version allowed you to be able to run said game on ONE X-Box or ONE PS3 tied only to YOUR very own XBL or PSN account?

What if you could not run YOUR disc copy of some X-Box game on your friend's X-Box?

What if console games were no longer able to be rented at stores?

I wouldn't be surprised, if that day comes...especially with consoles getting more and more PC-like in nature...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 10:30:20 PM »
It was mentioned on PCG's podcast recently that according to an official estimate, there were at least 25 million high end PCs out there, armed with cards at least as powerful as 8800GTs. I mentioned 10 million earlier, but that was just 8800s... Here PCG mentioned 25 million.
Don't start that shit again.  You don't have a leg to stand on.  There are a also lot of sportscars out there on the roads.  It doesn't mean people race them every weekend.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »
No, I don't think he's failed us.  I fully understand his logic, but it still makes me sad.  And I know a lot of people don't hate EA or get so wrapped up in business ethics, etc., but I sincerely dislike them as a company and try very hard not to support them.  Hence my own ideology gets in the way of wanting to get this game at all.  I likely will if it turns out well, but I really wish EA hadn't turned out to be the people to pick it up.  I like Pixar, but I hate Disney.  Same thing here.  I like Double Fine, but I hate EA.  It's just not a happy marriage in my book.

Don't forget that Activision, a company seen by many to be just as bad as EA, was initially publishing the game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #34 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 12:29:12 AM »
Don't start that shit again.  You don't have a leg to stand on.  There are a also lot of sportscars out there on the roads.  It doesn't mean people race them every weekend.

Wow, I am sorry you are so stubborn. And that analogy is absolutely stupid. You are talking about sportcars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars versus video cards that cost what, a couple of hundred bucks? Fine... let me put it in car terms, since that's how you put it. You've got a 100 Audis and 200 Beamers sold, yet you are seeing the 100 Audis being driven 10 times more. If you want to apply your car logic, how come it works only for PC hardware?

The logic is simple. You've got one market with a comparatively smaller hardware user base selling a dependent product at a far greater rate than the market with a significantly larger userbase. In other words, you have a market of 20 million Parker pens sold, as well as a 100 million generic pen refills sold to that same market. And on the other hand you have a 50 million CROSS pens sold, with only 20 million refills sold to that very market.

There is never going to be a smoking gun, but you can see fairly obvious patterns. What with publishers talking about their patches being downloaded 200 times more from separate IPs than their games sold. But I am sure a person can justify anything when they just don't want to believe it.

Sorry dude, that's how I read it as well for some reason. Now I see what you are saying.

I think Psychonauts' failure is more a testament of Majesco's failure to properly market the game than anything else.  I basically had to hear about the game through word of mouth, and I wasn't even aware Tim Schafer was responsible for the game until I happened to come home with it one day.  I'm not saying that a proper marketing push would have made the game a blockbuster hit, but it certainly would have sold more than 100,000 across the board.

Yea those are good points. I didn't hear of the game till Que started raving about it.

Let's see how well this one does with EA's marketing machine behind it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 12:51:13 AM »
I suspect it will be heavily promoted just due to the whole rock/metal craze that got started with Guitar Hero et al.  Any publisher to pick the game up would be plainly stupid not to promote it with the current climate being so receptive to that kind of material.  The market has the potential to receive it very well if advertising dollars are properly spent, I think.  And yes, the promotion of Psychonauts was horrendously handled.  I do feel a little bad for the fate of Majesco, but they really botched that job.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #36 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 07:14:03 AM »
Yeah, the recent popularity of Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles will do nothing but good things for the game. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »
I'm not saying I don't believe piracy happens.  All I'm saying is that pointing out there are X number of cards sold doesn't tell anyone anything than there are X number of cards sold.  We've been through that before, and I thought we'd put it to rest pretty soundly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »
I'm not saying I don't believe piracy happens.  All I'm saying is that pointing out there are X number of cards sold doesn't tell anyone anything than there are X number of cards sold.  We've been through that before, and I thought we'd put it to rest pretty soundly.

But, okay -- why would so many people buy video cards? Why would you buy a new video card? Likely, to play PC games, right? Right. Likely, so they can play the newest of the newest PC games, right? Right. I'd assume that's why most people buy new video cards.

But, there's also lack of PC games sales -- so, what does that tell you?

ONE. Given piracy numbers over BitTorrent alone, yeah -- games are heavily pirated. Especially certain ones. Just see the Top 10 Pirated PC Games List. Some of those games, you guess it -- have high PC requirements like say Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 2, and GTA4. They probably figure they can get it first online before the street date comes about; pirating a game a way to punch the company in the face for using crap-tastic DRM; they want to see if the game will actually run on the PC; and/or they just don't feel like paying the $40-60 price tag.
TWO. Some games with nasty DRM just ain't selling not b/c of the game, but b/c of its DRM alone -- see Far Cry 2 and many of the recent EA games with Securom Internet Edition (except say Spore). Some gamers are either boycotting purchasing the game entirely (and still not pirating it); buying the console edition instead b/c they own a of the PC version; OR are just pulling #1 above.

Back when I was in college and the DSL/broadband era came about, I knew many college students I knew that I took college classes with had spent good of money on one thing -- a top of the line PC. Often, they had a $200+ priced video card. Then what did they do? You guessed it, they pirated every BRAND new game they could get their hands on from places like say Sharereactor. I used to tell 'em, "All this time you spend downloading a game, I bought a 6-month old game (or older) for say $20 (or less) and play and finish that by the time you're done downloading your brand new game." :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #39 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »
Buying a new vid card is no guarantee that you will play every game that is released, even in that year alone. It's an arbitrary assumption.