Author Topic: Dead Space 2 - Update: PC Collector's Ed Box = $30 on Amazon + Free Shipping  (Read 19097 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dead Space 2 THREAD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »
As usual, EA completely misses the fucking point.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
Yeah. That's kinda sad. Both options go against what was cool about the game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Next question: how do you feel about in-game advertising?

EA thoroughly earns the facepalm.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »
I still need to finish the first Dead Space.  I think I made it to chapter 7 and then I kinda forgot about the game.  It's a great game... it's just that I personally have kinda stopped gaming.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 01:15:50 AM »
While it does go against what made the first game cool, these are harsh economic times, and "gaming funding has dried up". Both Dead Space and Mirror's Edge were failures -- though the former made a lot more than the latter. Since they invested much in the franchise, I guess they want to add stuff the fans want. I don't see too much wrong with that.

While a zero-gravity death match would be absolutely STUPID! Coop could be quite cool in that setting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 04:43:21 AM »
While a zero-gravity death match would be absolutely STUPID!

Since there were some awesome Zero-G levels done in Crysis's SP component, I would think a Zero-G Deathmatch would be more appropriate in say a Crysis game...

I do have Crysis Warhead/Crysis Wars and I ain't tried Crysis Wars yet...do they have any Zero-G MP maps?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 08:42:16 AM »
The point is that isn't necessarily what "fans" want.  Maybe it's what stupid 13 year olds want, or random idiots who'll buy the game and don't give a shit about what they tried to do with the first one, but anyone who played the first and enjoyed it for what it was probably wants neither coop nor deathmatch.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »
but anyone who played the first and enjoyed it for what it was probably wants neither coop nor deathmatch.

And there just weren't enough of those people to make the game anything near a success. That's why they are trying to branch out. I guess they have to find a balance with any new features, that they attract more buyers without spoiling the identity of the first.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »
Which they won't.  The game may or may not sell better, but probably half the people who bought the first won't care about the second.  Which is very typical of the EA method.  I'm not saying it's wrong from a business standpoint, but it sucks for the IP.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »
Were there any Zero-G levels in the original Dead Space?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »
I think soon you will be out of these facepalm pics.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 11:49:06 AM »
Were there any Zero-G levels in the original Dead Space?

Yea. There's one early on where you switch off gravity and walk around with your magnetic boots. You can aim towards a wall or ceiling and jump to it. I still haven't played far enough to see if they do anything else with zero-G.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »
It's one of the fundamental design features of the game.  It isn't everywhere, but they use it to good effect a number of times.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 02:03:03 PM »
Well, hell -- I need to get this (Dead Space 1) game even more so, once it gets cheaper on the PC.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »
Yeah, the Zero-G portions of the game were really well executed. As for Co-op, I agree that it kind of goes against the entire point of the game, but then I thought about it and figured it could be pretty awesome if done right.

I'm thinking it would probably have to be a desperate mode entirely, but I think co-op could work well as long as you're not actually constantly together.  The game basically revolves around "this is fucked, go and fix it so you can get through this door", and there's no reason you couldn't both be doing something like that in separate rooms/corridors/maintenance shafts in order to move on.  Like say you have to switch some fuse or something in order to get the tram working, but the power has to be off to do it.  The thing is that the power can only be off for a min or so before the aux. reserve kicks in automatically.  One motherfucker makes his way to one part of the ship to flip the switch, the other goes to replace the fuse.  You're both still isolated and alone, but kind of need to rely on each other and have constant radio contact. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Monday, April 27, 2009, 06:08:10 AM »
So, was Dead Space any good?  I've honestly never heard of it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Monday, April 27, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Wow, sounds like a cool game.  I'm sure some of the main reasons it went under my radar are that it was a new IP, I don't follow gaming news sites anymore, and mainly... it's a EA game.  I wrote them off a long time ago ever since they started just vomiting buggy garbage onto the market and then abandoning support for them, and their strict adherence to using ridiculous DRM schemes on the PC didn't help matters at all and just reinforced my decision.

I wonder how much EA's reputation has hurt the sales of Mirror's Edge and Dead Space...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Monday, April 27, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »
Wow, sounds like a cool game.  I'm sure some of the main reasons it went under my radar are that it was a new IP, I don't follow gaming news sites anymore, and mainly... it's a EA game.  I wrote them off a long time ago ever since they started just vomiting buggy garbage onto the market and then abandoning support for them, and their strict adherence to using ridiculous DRM schemes on the PC didn't help matters at all and just reinforced my decision.

I wonder how much EA's reputation has hurt the sales of Mirror's Edge and Dead Space...

I think EA's brain is clouded.

First of all, it was reported that Dead Space and Mirror's Edge when they came out didn't sell well.

Though, EA felt the game's were "successful" -- so, there probably be more of these.

Dead Space was pretty much praised critically.
Mirror's Edge did good critically, as well.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Monday, April 27, 2009, 05:00:07 PM »
I haven't touched Mirror's Edge yet, but Dead Space was pretty awesome.  It blows RE out of the water and certainly gives Silent Hill (keep in mind I've only really played SH2) a run for it's money.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 27, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
I think EA's brain is clouded.

First of all, it was reported that Dead Space and Mirror's Edge when they came out didn't sell well.

Though, EA felt the game's were "successful" -- so, there probably be more of these.

Dead Space was pretty much praised critically.
Mirror's Edge did good critically, as well.

Well, Jeff Green at EA said both games did poorly. EA may put the spin on for the shareholders, but if the games had hit even a million -- which seems to be par for consoles --, EA would have bragged about it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
No, EA says even games that sell millions aren't meeting their expectations.  Because frankly, their expectations are idiotic.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #24 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 03:34:10 AM »
haha true... but neither broke 1 million, and I think that Jeff Green stated on the GWJ podcast that the word used to describe Mirror's Edge was "disaster".

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 06:07:11 AM »
True, but the reasons should be obvious.  Ugly animated cutscenes, stilted story, and 5 minutes of gameplay.  Dead Space didn't suffer from those problems.  They should learn from their mistakes, not make excuses.  I don't know why Dead Space didn't do better.  Having some bad issues in the PC port certainly didn't help, and it was pretty heavily marketed with all that other stuff that came out with it.  Beats me.  I thought it was pretty cool.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 07:11:20 AM »
I think EA's rep may have ahd something to do with it. Eventually the studios will catch on that EA and its vicious rep are doing more harm than benefit and they'll jump ship.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #27 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
I think EA's rep may have ahd something to do with it. Eventually the studios will catch on that EA and its vicious rep are doing more harm than benefit and they'll jump ship.
Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at above.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »
I don't see how that can be.  They still sell millions of games, and if they'd stop blowing eight bajillion dollars on projects and reign it the fuck in a little, they'd probably make a fortune.  Plus console gamers don't give a flying fuck about ideologies on the whole because 80% of them are morons.  And by that I mean that 80% of almost any collected mass of individuals is given over to morons.  Either way, I thought both of these games were aimed squarely at the console market despite the PC ports, so I still don't understand it.  Rep doesn't seem logical.  I haven't seen the numbers, though, so I don't know if this is another "we couldn't break even after selling 2 million copies" deal or something else entirely.  I know they've said otherwise, but I still suspect both games sold respectably, and would have been winners in the ranks of most other companies.  Even several hundred thousand copies sold would be excellent for many of them, but such a "low" number would cost EA many, many millions of dollars.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6209132.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;3
Schofield is satisfied that Dead Space is well on its way to becoming one such major franchise. He revealed that the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC game has sold about 1.4 million units worldwide, despite being released last October amid a worldwide financial panic.

"I'm happy with that, based on the economy," said Schofield. "Last year could've been one of the greatest launch years in the history of video games around October time, but it was a year where people bought less games than they normally would. Do I wish it sold more? Absolutely. But the critical acclaim and the number of awards--we're at 75 and counting now--have made [Dead Space] bigger than just the number of sales. If you look at used sales and rentals, we're looking at probably 3 or 4 million people who have played the game."

You could call that sugarcoating it, but I have to agree. Sometimes people are too broke or too stupid to realize you made something good, but they're getting the recognition and they know that while sales are important, they're not everything.

Oh, and EA Redwood is now being renamed Visceral Games, to reflect their future plans for support of franchises like Dead Space and Dante's Inferno (their other upcoming game). Apparently they also have 2 games in the works that haven't been announced yet (one is probably Dead Space 2).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 06:58:48 PM »
See?  Motherfucker, nearly a million and a half copies.  If you call that disappointing, your business model is idiotic and you need to look for another job.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2009, 12:53:56 AM »
Yea I don't see how 1.4 couldn't have turned a profit for them. Granted that that's 1.4 million across three platforms. If you divide that by three, that's less than 500,000 per platform. Among other costs, I understand that MS and SONY take big release cuts for games on their respective consoles. Plus, Dead Space must have had a really big marketing push. I think it even had some sort of anime or something. Still, 1.4 million should mean it covered those bases. I swear I heard from all EA quarters that Dead Space was a failure. I guess they had different expectations.

But I am glad to see a more sensible approach from EA here... though I guess they have to now that they are moving further with the IP. I am glad they are finally looking at this as an investment into the future.

Also, I don't think EA's rep has anything to do with them not selling as many titles. Sure, PC guys are on to EA, but they sell gazillions of those sports titles every year even though they don't do much in terms of innovation.

The other thing is that EA publishes just about everything. It would be like refusing to breathe because EA owns the air. I know a lot of people do that, but it is beyond the discipline of the average console gamer.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2009, 10:00:36 AM »
I think it even had some sort of anime or something.

There was an animated movie called Dead Space: Downfall (which isn't bad), as well as some comics book (one graphic novel). The chronological order of everything is: comic -> anime -> game. The comic covers the discovery of the artifact and the events on the surface of the planet. the anime covers the event of the ship that brought the miners there and sat in orbit while they worked on the surface. In the game, you arrive on the rescue ship at the beginning.

If you go to the Dead Space downloads section on Xbox live, there's 6 videos covering the comic. Theyr'e called "animated comics" and have the comic panels with voice actors reading the dialogue. (some say "trailer" but they're really the full thing, not sure why it says trailer.)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dead Space 2
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 08:16:17 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #35 on: Monday, December 07, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »
Not really news, but Dead Space 2 has been officially announced. Hell to the yea.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 04:22:17 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 07:57:13 AM »
Not really news, but Dead Space 2 has been officially announced. Hell to the yea.

What the hell are you doing stealing MysterD's job?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »
System Shock 2 had online co-op. It was actually pretty cool.

Anyway, I'll have to pick up Dead Space (1) as it looks like a cool game.