Author Topic: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC patch removes Securom DRM from Non-Steam version  (Read 14431 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
NEW - 9/22/2011:
New PC Patch released that fixes some things, adds some features, and also removes Securom DRM in Non-Steam versions.

OLD:
Bad Company 2 - Ultimate Edition coming w/ ALL of the DLC (at least so far)...

Looks like DICE here is taking shots at Activision and Infinity Ward here.
On PC Bad Company 2   
[Oct 26, 2009, 10:57 am ET]
There's a Dedicated Server PC FAQ for Battlefield: Bad Company where DICE  makes their dedication to the concept clear. Also, the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Forum has a post from Battlefield Community Manager EAzerk16 discussing the difference between the PC and console editions of Battlefield Bad Company 2 (thanks Ant via Planet Battlefield). He explains why the PC is getting "better" features than consoles, including the prone position, higher player counts, and dedicated server support. He also gives the PC platform its due in justifying this:

"Last but not least, the PC platform is usually expected to put up with a lot more “crap” compared to consoles. While consoles may get the game on a certain date, PC users typically have to wait much longer for the same game, but in turn, they get the game for a lower price because there are no licensing fees like consoles have, and typically they get a few more perks thrown in compared to consoles just for good measure. PC customers are a much tougher crowd then consoles are so we have to appeal to them in as many ways as possible, but why not? They deserve it after having a steady history of constantly getting the shaft. Also on a side note, If it wasn’t for the PC platform you wouldn’t be playing the game on consoles right now."
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 22, 2011, 04:22:07 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC version w/ dedicated servers and extra features
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 26, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »
Ah, telling us what we want to hear.. Whispering sweet nothings to us through the media.. Much like how most sexual predators prey on the vulnerable.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC version w/ dedicated servers and extra features
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 26, 2009, 09:38:38 AM »
Ah, telling us what we want to hear.. Whispering sweet nothings to us through the media.. Much like how most sexual predators prey on the vulnerable.

So, if BF: Bad Company 2 PC succeeds...
Do you think BF: Bad Company 3 PC will feature something like DICE-Net, which will be like IWNet (for Modern Warfare 2), right? :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 26, 2009, 10:45:59 AM »
It's plausible. Remember this is DICE we're talking about, they have a history with the Battlefield series and its online services, add to that their adoptive parent is EA.

Either way, I want Bad Company 2 to succeed on PC. It would be beneficial for PC gaming in the long run. Beyond that we just have to be hopeful that DICE won't shaft everyone.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 26, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »
Dedicated server FAQ

Does the game have dedicated servers? Yes.
Can you host it yourself? No.

You have to rent them from "trusted partners".

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 12:56:11 PM »
Haha, everyone is now advertising dedicated servers in light of MW2. Next up is Brink!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »
Haha, everyone is now advertising dedicated servers in light of MW2. Next up is Brink!

LOL! Hilarious.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC version to support DX11 (Reply 8)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 02, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
Bad Company 2 PC - System Requirements revealed.

Minimum Frostbite PC Specifications for BFBC2 & BF1943.

* Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
    * Main memory: 2GB
    * Graphics card: GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900
    * Graphics memory: 256MB
    * Free HDD space:
          o 15GB for Digital Version, 10GB for Disc Version (BFBC2)
          o 10GB for Digital Version, 4GB for Disc Version (BF1943)

Recommended Frostbite PC Specifications for BFBC2 & BF1943

* Processor: Quadcore
    * Main memory: 2GB
    * Graphics card: GeForce GTX 260
    * Graphics memory: 512MB

* Free HDD space:
          o 15GB for Digital Version, 10GB for Disc Version (BFBC2)

o 10GB for Digital Version, 4GB for Disc Version (BF1943)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC version system requirements revealed (Reply 9)
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 09:04:08 PM »
Ummm...WTH?

Well, people who have access to Squad Rush can invites those who don't to play it. So I'll be able to invite my friends to it, since I've got it preordered at Gamestop already.

EDIT:
those that either buy the PC version or reside outside of North America getting access to Squad Rush at launch at no extra cost.

So it's only the console versions.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC version system requirements revealed (Reply 9)
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 01:19:41 AM »
haha this is getting ridiculous.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
Battlefield: BC2 PC version's Securom DRM.

This game's DRM actually lets the gamer decide which Securom to be stuck with - disc-check only (with no install limits) OR online authentication w/ install limits plus revokes allowed. Pick your poison.

Securom Choice 1.
You can decide yourself if you want the game to do a Securom disc-check every time you want to boot the game. With this option, You won't have to going online to authenticate and you won't have to worry about install limits, if you do opt for this method - as the disc itself is the key needed here period.

Securom Choice 2.
Do you not want to deal w/ DVD always needed in the drive to boot the game? Well, then you can alternatively decide to deal w/ Securom online authentication. So yes, you'll have to authenticate online. You will get 10 installs allowed, if you go this route w/ revokes allowed. Uninstalls while online count as a revoke OR using their manual revoke tool will revoke the game. THIS method will last around 10,000 days - or a little over 27 years until you will need to reactivate again. Need more installs, then you can contact EA to get more added to the pool.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC version Securom DRM options revealed (Reply 13)
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
That's actually pretty interesting.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - PC version Securom DRM options revealed (Reply 13)
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »
That's actually pretty interesting.

I agree.

It satisfies both crowds - those who are willing to just have the disc required in the drive to play and those who just don't even want to put the disc in the drive.

So, everybody's happy.

What's really interesting is that when you uninstall this game, it actually removes Securom drivers (the version of the drivers that comes w/ the game) from the computer itself. First Securom game I heard that does that. Usually, to uninstall Securom drivers, you have to get the Securom Removal Tool to do so.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
Multiplayer demo is now available on Xbox Live and PSN (I think).

For PC, I guess the beta has started now. I'm not sure if keys are being freely given away, or if you need to win one or what. I did read somewhere that EA's twitter feed will be giving away 50 codes today (at 11:00 am PST). If you go to battlefield.com it's got info on how to download and install it, and it mentions entering your key either during setup or at in the game, but doesn't say where to get a key.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »
Battlefield: BC2 PC version's Securom DRM.

This game's DRM actually lets the gamer decide which Securom to be stuck with - disc-check only (with no install limits) OR online authentication w/ install limits plus revokes allowed. Pick your poison.

Securom Choice 1.
You can decide yourself if you want the game to do a Securom disc-check every time you want to boot the game. With this option, You won't have to going online to authenticate and you won't have to worry about install limits, if you do opt for this method - as the disc itself is the key needed here period.

Securom Choice 2.
Do you not want to deal w/ DVD always needed in the drive to boot the game? Well, then you can alternatively decide to deal w/ Securom online authentication. So yes, you'll have to authenticate online. You will get 10 installs allowed, if you go this route w/ revokes allowed. Uninstalls while online count as a revoke OR using their manual revoke tool will revoke the game. THIS method will last around 10,000 days - or a little over 27 years until you will need to reactivate again. Need more installs, then you can contact EA to get more added to the pool.
I'll take option one for sure.  You have more control with this method.

It's cool they are giving the choice though.  I will give them that.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure the limited edition shit is all in the regular version of the game. You unlock stuff Modern Warfare style and can put it on your loadouts, and the Limited Edition just comes with some extra unlocks by default. The tracer dart gun for example, you can unlock in the demo.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
Bad Company 2 will have Day-One DLC.

Buy the game NEW, the DLC's yours to download once it's released (likely on Day-One).

This DLC will be like The Cerebus Network DLC for Mass Effect 2 - as there will be some FREE DLC and some DLC you'll have to pay for.

Also, the Day-One DLC is said to be some more MP maps.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Update: Day One DLC revealed (Reply 19)
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010, 01:30:32 PM »
ROFL I just got an email about the game with the subject of "The Ultimate Modern Warfare Experience Is Here!"

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »
ROFL I just got an email about the game with the subject of "The Ultimate Modern Warfare Experience Is Here!"

LMAO!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »
Reviews
1Up = A-.
GTTV = 9.1.
MTV Multiplayer Review.
G4TV = 4 stars (out of 5).
IGN = 8.9.
If you have a powerful enough PC to run Bad Company 2, this version is the one to go with. High-end rigs will pump out better visuals than what you get on PS3 or Xbox 360. More importantly for many, the PC version allows you to browse servers to find the exact game you want. And to top it all off, you'll get a 32 player game, which makes the battles a couple of squads more intense than the 24 player console iteration.

Inc Gamers Review
Single Player Portion = 9.1
They have yet to review the MP portion.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 12:20:12 AM »
I wasn't expecting this game to get praise.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 01:21:51 AM »
From all the podcasts I listen to, they all love it. I'm actually getting a little curious myself, I'm even a little surprised at what D quoted saying that the PC version is actually the one to get since I always thought Bad Company is supposed to be Battlefield for the consoles essentially.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 01:24:47 AM »
Just about to start watching this:

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14320744/battlefield-bad-company-2/videos/bfbc2_vdr_022610.html

edit:

Pyro, what podcasts do you listen to? I just listen to the giantbombcast and the PCG podcast.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 01:52:12 AM »
I should check out the PCG podcast, haven't listened to them and I'm always up to find more to listen to.

I listen to Giantbombcast, Gamerswithjobs, Rebel FM, Geekbox, Mobcast, and Gamespy Debriefings.

Geekbox is more of an acquired taste and they tend to not talk about games as much. I really recommend checking out Rebel FM though, they have a sadistic sense of humor at times but I really like Anthony Gallegos' and Arthur Gies' opinions on games.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
Yea I used to listen to Ryan's Geekbox. Not sure why I stopped.

Give this a listen:

http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=6233.0

Let me know what you think.

Also, it is a pity that the "out of the game" podcast hasn't been updated lately. I think it had to do with Shawn's heavy criticism of IGN, where he basically exposed how their Music section was a paid thing.

And if you want to hear Jeff Green, he does an EA podcast, which is pretty good all things considered.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 03:18:26 PM »
From all the podcasts I listen to, they all love it. I'm actually getting a little curious myself, I'm even a little surprised at what D quoted saying that the PC version is actually the one to get since I always thought Bad Company is supposed to be Battlefield for the consoles essentially.

Well, BC1 never even made it to the PC - so, yeah, it was meant to be a Battlefield for the console. It still would be interesting to see BC1 be ported to the PC, as some sort of cheaply-priced re-release or something.

I really think w/ DICE saw how very many PC gamers were disappointed w/ MW2 PC Edition and its lack of PC-features (no ded-servers and no modding), they decided to basically show Infinity Ward how lazy they were w/ their game - DICE wanted to show them how a PC game should be done. I think DICE was looking to make BC2 be the reigning new modern military FPS on both PC and consoles.

Well, in BC2...
PC versions supports 32 players, console supports 24.
PC versions supports ded-servers, console supports match-making.
Sounds like PC got the advantage there, to me - as long as you have a strong enuff rig to handle it, of course.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
Yea i do like that DICE made a more robust multiplayer than IW did but I still keep in mind that DICEs track record has also been spotty for the previous Battlefield games where their games were practically released in a beta state with poor load times and lots of bugs. Though I've been checking out videos and reviews of the game and it seems like DICE has learned from their mistakes, at least hopefully. I think I may pick this up this weekend, it's been forever since Ive really gotten into a BF game and this one does look great.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Friday, March 05, 2010, 02:49:12 AM »
I've been having a lot of fun with this, a lot more than I expected. I tried the multiplayer demo/beta and didn't care for the way the movement felt, but hoped the vehicles and larger scale combat would keep it fun. Within 30 minutes of starting up the retail game though, I had no problem with the way it felt, and I'm having a blast. I think maybe it was mostly that the sensitivity is really low by default, so cranking it up made things feel much more natural.

I've been playing MW2, and while I do really like that game, this one does some great stuff that makes it a lot more fun, at least for now. The scale of the battles is nice, and combined with the vehicles and destruction, makes it feel more like a war game than an arcadey deathmatch. Also the ability to spawn on a squad member adds a lot of strategy, especially when combined with the class system. If people in your squad die, you can hang back in cover to give them time to respawn before you take any chances of dying too. Or if you've got a medic he can heal/revive people. Or hell, if the medic dies, you can take his "kit" from his corpse (you get his class setup), then revive him with your paddles. This makes it important to clear areas because one guy sneaking around where you don't see can cause a lot of bad shit for you.

Some cool moments:

My 3 squad members and I (all random people on Xbox Live) all jump in a tank and roll in to cap a point, and begin taking small arms and rocket fire from the front. One guy jumps out to shoot, the gunner and driver shoot, and I jump out and hide behind the tank repairing it (I've been playing engineer). That tank took about 400% of it's total HP in damage, but I kept it up by constantly repairing. We wiped the enemy out and took the point.

I was hauling ass on an ATV and tried to run this guy over, but barely missed and he opened fire on me. I jumped off, and before he could turn from my still moving ATV to me, I filled his chest with a burst from my SMG and he dropped. So satisfying.

A game emptied out as the maps switched and it neded up in a 2v2. I grabbed a chopper and my teammate took the gunner seat. After about 5 minutes of us raining hell down on the other 2 guys, they grabbed their chopper and we had a badass chopper vs chopper fight. I was circling the map and didn't see the other chopper, but my gunner was firing at them. As soon as I took some fire though, I spun around and took them out with some missiles.

I snuck up behind 2 guys taking cover behind some sandbags and drilled them both to death with my engineer repair tool. I guess I didn't aim high enough though, because I didn't get the "Dentist" achievement from it. (headshot with the engineering drill tool)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #31 on: Friday, March 05, 2010, 03:23:47 AM »
You went for Xbox eh? I'm going to pick it up on PC tomorrow. Battlefield has always been a PC experience to me, I just hope the game plays more stable than previous BF PC games. How has server stability and your connection been in games?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: Friday, March 05, 2010, 05:48:49 AM »
It's been pretty good so far. I've yet to experience any noticeable lag, and however they deal with host migration and whatnot, it's under the hood. I've been in games where I'll stay across 3-4 maps and it just keeps going until I decide to take a break. I did come really close to cancelling my Xbox preorder and getting it for PC, but one of the guys who wanted to play with me doesn't have a PC that can run it. (same with a 3rd we're still trying to convince to buy it)

One thing it does that to me makes it feel closer to PC games, is that there's no lobby between maps/matches. You join a game and it's in progress. When teams swap offense/defense, there's no lobby, it just does it. When it switches maps, it just goes from the victory/loss screen to the next map (after the loading screen of course). It makes it feel like that game could have been going for hours with people joining and leaving, just like on dedicated servers for PC games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Friday, March 05, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
9.0 from GameSpot for PC, X360, and PS3.
Written review - PC.
Video review - console versions.

4 1/2 stars from Gamespy for PC, X360, and PS3.
Written review.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, March 06, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »
I want to get this. Might run and pick it up tonight. I kind of want it for PS3 though. A lot of my friends and co-workers got it for Xbox, but the thing is, my live account expired a couple days ago. I guess I could do month payments. I'll probably play the game and the MP for a couple months and be done with it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #35 on: Saturday, March 06, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
I played a bit last night, there is some connection issues, there's a shit ton of people playing and the EA servers are probably slammed, and even a little bit of stability problems as it crashed to the desktop twice, I don't think it likes being minimized. However, when I do get into a server it is fucking fantastic. You really do feel like your in a war, just so much chaos everywhere. There is a lot of praise for it's sound design which is rightfully placed. The deafening sound of explosions hitting near you and the screaming of your teammates nearby as you got incoming makes for some extremely atmospheric gameplay. The battlefields are more condensed than what your used to in passed BF games. There's no planes or jets you can fly, just helicopters. Though I did like the open warfare of those BF games, but these matches also work great in their own way. Using vehicles is great for tipping the balance but your still really powerful as an infantry, plus getting into the action when there's no vehicles around isn't so hard. The 4 classes all have really good uses to them. I've been playing assault, just running and gunning, I can also dump ammo for teammates. Right now, there's a lot of people going recon, which are snipers. They are a bit powerful since they also get C4. There is also a ton of stuff to unlock, tons of weapons and gadgets for specific classes. Whats weird is that you can't do much of anything when you first start off, can't drop medic packs as a medic or ammo as assault, they need to be unlocked. Though those first things are pretty easy to get and don't take much time at all.

I even checked out the single player a little bit and was pleasantly surprised how well presented it was. Felt like I was playing a Medal of Honor game, it's a bit linear and there's a bit of scripted stuff, however the dialogue is pretty good, its a good bit of fun and pleasantly surprising.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 06, 2010, 11:42:24 PM by PyroMenace »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #37 on: Saturday, March 06, 2010, 11:39:45 PM »
That doesnt surprise me. Looking at the server browser in the game will give you a ridiculously long list of servers most of which are completely full 32 player ones.

I also hope they can fix the play now feature as it will throw me into a server with barely anyone in it or will try to put me in one that's password protected.

On a related note, the Battlefield Blog says: "Battlefield Bad Company 2 has managed to prove so popular that yesterday the concurrent users in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 surpassed that in Battlefield 2 which has been going strong for almost 5 years."

Damn, that is quite a feat, I would like to see MW2 server activity for before and after BFBC2 launch.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, March 07, 2010, 07:26:50 AM »
Wow...BF2 has had a hardcore following for THAT long?
That's pretty freaking awesome.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, March 07, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »
I think the steam sales helped it a lot. Twice I remember they had all of the Battlefield 2 games for 9.99.