Author Topic: E3 2010 Thread  (Read 14403 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: E3 2010 Thread
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »
Crysis 2 E3:

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 03:15:41 PM »
I watched a Crysis 2 gameplay video this morning and I thought it looked boring as hell. Like a typical scripted FPS.

Portal 2 has fluid dynamics? Thats kind of interesting. Wonder what they'll end up doing with it. I hope they take a good look at Pixeljunk Shooter for inspiration there.

Bulletstorm looks so freaking fun. I can't wait.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 03:40:55 PM »
Bulletstorm looks so freaking fun. I can't wait.
Bulletstorm's leash is freaking slick.

EDIT:
Portal 2 being shown off on G4TV.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »
Oh my god, that Kirby game is the definition of cute.

Oh, any thanks guys. My reporting skills are just a combination of having no life and quickly reading twitter feeds as they scroll past. It would be better if I could actually stream the conferences myself.

Seriously, whats wrong with everyone else in this thread? The 3DS has easily stolen the show, you guys should be drooling over this, not some sequels on the almost identical PS3/360 consoles.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »
LOL @ DeadPool in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 will break the 4th barrier in the game (like he does in the comic), also...

EDIT:
Reflection is on G4TV to demo Driver: San Fran.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »
Shacknews hands on with the 3DS

Sounds good to me. Also people are reporting that the Zelda Wii demo doesn't suffer from the problems they had on stage. When its in a more normal gaming environment, it responds well to your actions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 04:29:33 PM »
G4TV is now showing off a demo of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
Holy crap, would you look at all these 3DS games!

All I need to know is the price.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 04:47:16 PM »
G4TV just had on Greg Zeschuk of Bioware on its 15th year anniversary.
Expect Little Big Planet 2 stuff coming up soon...

EDIT:
G4TV showing off Fable 3 w/ Peter Molyneux...

EDIT #2:
Expect demo later of Fallout: New Vegas on G4TV.
Now on G4TV, Red Faction: Armageddon.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
I'm legitimately pissed about this PSN pay service Sony's pawning.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »
Yea, but you had to see some sort of subscription service coming.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
Wo0t! My Tweet on RF: Armageddon wound up Live on G4TV moments ago!!! :)

MysterD @xplay Red Faction: Armageddon w/ its destroy and rebuild features sounds slick.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 06:45:01 PM »
Warhammer 40k MMO trailer

Not sure if I'm a fan of the colorful look to it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »
I'm not really impressed either. There's so much potential for a non-strategy game with Warhammer, but that just makes the task of making one of these games that much more daunting. For as big as the universe is, it really wouldn't make a good MMO because of how the games work. Characters that the average person would actually want to play as are literally one in a billion and you just can't be true to the source material and expect to have enough customers willing to pay monthly fees to play. It also doesn't help that DOW2 looks better, even zoomed in so that characters are the same scale.

What really needs to happen is someone needs to man up and make an Inquisitor RPG in the vein of Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age. That's were the role playing meat of 40K is.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
Here is that Kevin Butler speech I mentioned.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »
Here is that Kevin Butler speech I mentioned.

LOL @ the Olivia Munn comment.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
Entertaining, but not nearly what people hyped it up to be.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 07:48:04 PM »
3DS has me pretty excited...and I just bought an XL.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 07:59:42 PM »
From the developer of flOw and Flower comes Journey.

An exotic adventure with a more serious tone, Journey presents TGC's unique vision of an online adventure experience. Awakening in an unknown world, the player walks, glides, and flies through a vast and awe-inspiring landscape, while discovering the history of an ancient, mysterious civilization along the way.

Journey's innovative approach to online play encourages players to explore this environment with strangers who cross their path from time to time. By traveling together, they can re-shape the experience – creating authentic moments they will remember and discuss with others.

Key Features

* INTUITIVE CONTROLS AND EXPERIENCE - Players with differing skill levels and/or moods can experience the game at their own pace.
    * LUSH AND EXPANSIVE ENVIRONMENTS - Grand landscapes filled with dynamic sand and cloth. Fully simulated sand dunes ripple and slide as players move across them.
    * FRESH ONLINE ADVENTURE - Players explore a mysterious world, discovering its hidden history. People are free to travel alone, or adventure with strangers that they meet along the way.
Day 1.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »
From the developer of flOw and Flower comes Journey.

Fuck yes, that looks awesome!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:44:49 AM »
If you check out that Crysis 2 video, it looks pretty standard, until that building starts to collapse. That is all done in the game engine real time, and isn't some background animation. The meches are hella cool too. The crazy thing is the level of detail being shown, and it is on the XBOX 360! Insane.

As for the 3DS, I am pretty excited because I have held off buying a DS for the past three years because I've been waiting for the next gen. of the thing. Pretty happy about this now.

Regarding PSN having a subscription thingee, I am not surprised as we had been hearing rumors about it for the better part of the year.

edit:

That Marvel vs Capcom 3 vid had me very excited!

Also, while it is nice that Valve is bringing Portal 2 to PS3, it is extremely disappointing that that was that their big reveal. Where the hell is HL2 Ep3? Unless you release these expansions on time, people will STOP caring.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
The building collapse is cool in a tech demo way, but the actual gameplay didn't look interesting at all. While its in-engine, I would guess that its a completely scripted collapse, much like the "cinematic physics" in HL2. Run simulation and record motions, then just run that back as an animation in-game. Looks very impressive but it doesn't actually have to calculate anything, its just a really complex animation.

Heres something I was wondering about the Valve/PS3 announcement. I got this right from the Valve news page:
On the PlayStation 3 Portal 2 will be supported by Steamworks, a complete suite of game features and services including auto updates, community features, downloadable content, and more.
Auto updates? Does this mean Valve gets to bypass certification for game updates? I wouldn't think so, and if not then how is it any different from regular game updates the PS3 already handles? Same question with the downloadable content. I find it weird that Sony would allow such a system that could bypass the PSN store.

It just doesn't seem like it all fits together...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 01:15:13 AM »
3ds?  Awesome

360 slim?  Seems like a bad idea.  Don't smaller form factors usually have more problems with heat dispersion?  Why fuck around?

That's all I really have to say....too busy playing with my phone.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
Regarding the building collapse, I was under the impression that you could initiate such sequences yourself, with destructible environments, and could destroy any building structure in the game?

I do agree that the rest of the gameplay looks pretty standard but I was under the impression that the building collapse was part of the gameplay and an aspect of their whole urban jungle thing?

Regarding steamworks on PSN, I am sure it will be the same as the autoupdates for any game on the PS3, but with a steamworks skin or something. I don't think there will be any bypassing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »
360 slim?  Seems like a bad idea.  Don't smaller form factors usually have more problems with heat dispersion?  Why fuck around?

Did you read the stories I linked?  They're going to 45nm chips and integrated CPU/GPU.  The slim reportedly also has an internal PSU, which is a clear indication to me that it sucks way less power.  I'm sure part of it also is keeping up with the Joneses, or Sonys.

Edit:
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Trailer - thanks, Pyro!.

Oh, please, please be as good as you look.  This time they're designing it from the ground up for Wii controls, including the MotionPlus.  It could be awesome if done right, unlike Twilight Princess (Wii version).  I'll be more forgiving of right-handed Link this time.

Youtube link to same trailer.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 08:57:01 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 09:42:23 AM »
Regarding the building collapse, I was under the impression that you could initiate such sequences yourself, with destructible environments, and could destroy any building structure in the game?

I do agree that the rest of the gameplay looks pretty standard but I was under the impression that the building collapse was part of the gameplay and an aspect of their whole urban jungle thing?
Maybe you're right, but it just doesn't seem possible that they could allow you to destroy just any random building in the game you felt like. Could I go god mode and weapon cheats and just take down every building in the city? If so then thats way more impressive than I thought, but it seems extremely unlikely.

Heres some more into on that PSN Plus:
PlayStation Plus features include*2:

Full game trial*3
Members will have access to full versions of designated PS3® and PlayStation Network titles including PS one® Archives (PS one® Classics). The titles on offer will be available for download on PlayStation Store for a stated period and change every month. Members will be able to play the full version of the game for a designated period and even after the trial period expires, users will be able to continue playing the game by purchasing the game on-line*4.

Games
Member will be able to play the full version of designated PS3 downloadable and PlayStation Network titles including PS one Archives (PS one Classics) and minis*5 with no limit of time as long as membership is effective. These games will become available exclusively for PlayStation Plus members at no extra cost.

Special content
Content such as avatars and custom themes many of which are exclusive will become available for PlayStation Plus members at no extra cost.

Discounts
Members will have access to exclusive discounts on designated PS3 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) titles. Titles will vary every month on PlayStation Store.

Early access
Members will have early access to designated new game beta trials, game demos and video content prior to public distribution.

Automatic content downloads and updates
PS3 will automatically download and install designated game demos and game updates and also download the system software update data*6. PS3 will automatically start up at a designated time to download content and will turn off after the download has completed.
Since its launch in November 2006, PlayStation Network continues to gain strong support from users around the world. It offers a broad range of on-line content and services, including on-line gaming, video chat and text messaging with other PS3 users on-line, as well as access to many games, videos and comic content downloadable from PlayStation Store.
Tailored to enhance the experience for PlayStation users, PlayStation Plus will further enrich the PlayStation Network gaming experience.
SCE, with its strong lineup of entertainment content and services on PlayStation Network, will deploy various measures to provide entertainment experience to PlayStation users, and further expand PlayStation platforms.

*1 PlayStation users can purchase PlayStation Plus membership through PlayStation Store on PS3 only. Users need to install PS3 system software version 3.40, which will be released on June 22nd, to enjoy PlayStation Plus.
*2 Content will vary by region.
*3 Expiration date will vary by content.
*4 Users will continue to enjoy games with previously saved data. Any trophies earned during the trial will also be unlocked.
*5 “minis” are not available in Japan.
*6 As the install requires users agreement, it will not be installed automatically.
For $50 a year it could be worth it for the monthly "free" games depending on what they are, and if the discounts on purchases are good. I don't like that "early access to demos" and crap. Thats just locking things away for profit. If the demo is ready for the public, let the public have it. Its not early access, its delayed access.

*EDIT*

They totally need to rerelease Picross 3D on the 3DS. Work on the bottom touchscreen, but have an actual 3D view on the top.

Some thoughts on trailers I watched this morning:

Metroid Other M: Looks pretty good.
Zelda: It looks...Zelda. Which is good.
Kid Icarus: Doesn't looks like something I want.
Epic Mickey: Also doesn't seem like something I want. Not to say these games looked bad, just not for me.
Twisted Metal: Didn't see the whole gameplay segment, but from what I saw...is it me or does the car handling look really slippery? Like you're driving on a sheet of ice. I know the original TM games had similar handling but I figured that was due to PSX limitations and not done on purpose. Don't know how I feel about it being that way.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:32:29 PM »
Pacman Championship Edition DX coming to XBLA and PSN! Comes with the 6 original mazes, plus 100+ more, and new game modes! Hooray!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »
Poor Sony.

edit:

That's what I thought it was in Crysis 2 when they said destructible buildings. I'll check.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
You know, at some point, Nintendo is going to wear out their welcome with their IPs. 

By the way, Goldeneye belongs anywhere but on the Wii.  I mean shit, the controls are actually going to be WORSE than the N64 version.  And Kid Icarus being a rail shooter?  WTF? 

I am beyond excited for Other M though.  That has the potential to be fan-fuckin-tastic. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
I know I'm a big critic of Valve, but Portal 2 looks pretty awesome. They beefed up the engine, too. Looks like a lot of dynamic realtime lights.

Yay, boothbabes!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »
More bad news for Kinect
Standing Room Only
Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
Rage is being shown on G4TV w/ Tim Willits. Looks awesome.

There's a RC car you can use, which has C4 strapped to it.

EDIT:
Id says the PC version WILL ship with the same SDK the dev's use.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
Awesome! It might take a lot of work to mod the game so we wont see as many total conversions, but having the tool for people to use means we'll still see something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
Awesome! It might take a lot of work to mod the game so we wont see as many total conversions, but having the tool for people to use means we'll still see something.
Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

Also, in Rage, there are different factions - each w/ their own fighting style.

One Faction was pretty much w/ masters of acrobatics in an underground sewer-like environment - so, they use the environment to cartwheel, flip, spin around, vault around, hang on pipes, flip from pipes to pipe, etc - just to try to attack you, whether it be melee or guns. Looked very parkour-inspired.

I'm impressed. And they were showing the 360 version - and damn, does that look gorgeous, running at 60 FPS. I can't imagine how much the PC version will make me drool.

Oh, also - NO LOAD SCREENS!!! :)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 03:49:07 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »
Wo0t @ my Tweet on Rage just wound-up on G4TV. :)

MysterD @xplay With an open-world environment, Rage could be the evolution we've been waiting for from Id Software since the original Doom. #E3onG4

EDIT:
True Crime (Reboot) is being shown-off on G4TV for PC, PS3, and X360.

They showed off a mission where the guy is basically running after a guy throughout a market and scaling walls, fences, climbed ladders. There was also some hand-to-hand combat w/ enemies - kicks, punches, leg-breaking kicks, knee-breaking kicks, sweep kicks  picking up enemy and tossing him into garbage can, etc. There was a boss fight w/ the guy and his goons w/ more of this combat - even throwing a guy off a roof.

EDIT 2:
Gears 3 being shown off on G4TV w/ Cliffy B.

EDIT 3:
Dead Space 2 shown off on G4TV.

EDIT 4:
PCG's preview on Kane & Lynch 2 states that that this K&L game has ditched G4WL.
Instead it will support Steamworks.

EDIT 5:
AC: Brotherhood shown off on G4TV. Cannons looks sweet.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 05:10:00 PM by MysterD »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 11:57:53 PM »
Konami was on a roll announcing the new Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid games along with showing more of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and then they had to go and announce a 360 exclusive Castlevania titled Harmony of Despair.  Fuck you Konami.  What is the fucking point in making a 2D Castlevania title a 360 exclusive?  Games like that already have a niche audience, wouldn't putting it on PS3 as well benefit you more?  Assholes.