Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever: May 3rd!  (Read 17491 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Duke Nukem Forever: May 3rd!
« Reply #40 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
I think I read somewhere that they were only making something on the order of a few thousand copies of the limited edition. I guess it really is/was a limited edition (for once).

Edit: Yeah. A run of 2000.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #41 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 04:04:57 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that Duke is secretly gay.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »
Well, shit.  That sucks that they sold out of the collector's editions already, I was planning on grabbing it with my next paycheck this week.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
Idol, you gonna wait for Steam-sale to buy it?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »
No. I'm just not going to buy it, period.

Of course my brother plans on buying the PS3 version so he can play so I'll probably end up playing it, but fuck the PC version, fuck Gearbox, fuck 2K, and fuck Steam.

(can you tell I'm raging right now?)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
I saw the Steamworks news and I came here to see rage. And I found it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »
W7re made me laugh.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »
Maybe I'll get the console version... if I get the game at all.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2011, 12:34:14 AM »
So considering canceling my preorder.  Ugh.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
Well, this doesn't deter me.  It would be nice if it wasn't tied to Steam, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

In any case, I probably won't get it until next Christmas.  I'm just not much of a gamer any more.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »
Well, I don't mind Steam so much. Though it does matter anyway, my preorder is for the Xbox 360 version. ;D

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, March 03, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »
Remember the Duke Nukem Early Access codes you got by buying the Borderlands GOTY Edition? (supposed to give you early demo access and extra in game stuff) I just got a code from Amazon because of my DNF preorder. It does give me access to anything yet, other than some wallpapers, but it let me sign up on the early access site and had me choose a platform.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:29:44 AM »
*sigh*
There will be 10 multiplayer maps included in the game, and the modes include Dukematch, Team Dukematch, Hail to the King (King of the Hill), and Capture the Babe. That's right, instead of flags you'll be grabbing and fighting over human women, and every so often one of them will freak out, requiring you to administer a little slap to bring her back to her senses.

To be honest, my first thought upon hearing this news was that it was a misprint of some kind, but when publications began getting official clarification stating that you'd be slapping the women on the butt while they were slung over your shoulders, I began to take it a little more seriously. Duke Nukem games have always treated women as objects to lust over, and the most interaction you had with women in prior games consisted of paying them to strip for you. Gaming has grown up, to some extent, and the gamers who grew up playing these games are also a little older, so it will be worth watching to see how this sort of humor plays with contemporary audiences. But there's no way around the fact that there's some offensive misogyny going on here. What's next, rebooting a movie like Blazing Saddles, complete with racial slurs?
Ok, first off if anyone even thinks about touching a Mel Brooks movie other than Mel Brooks, then they should be killed on sight. PS, Blazing Saddles without the racial slurs wouldn't even be the same kind of movie. Its basically the entire premise (A black sheriff? Unheard of!).

Secondly, treating women as objects is bad. I wish I could play as an impossibly muscled, alien killing, world saving badass without all those...what do you call them? Stereotypes?

Thirdly

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
Oh my God man, people are blowing this out of proportion, it's Duke Nukem. We expect ass-slapping shenanigans! Would it have been better if the slapping was across their faces?

I think a lot of these recent issues with games and sexuality (Duke Nukem Forever, Mass Effect, Dragon Age 2, etc.) only really come up in the enws because of the consoles and the general public's association with "children use these!" I doubt we'd hear this much backlash if these games (or their sexual content) were PC exclusive.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:51:19 AM »
What blows my mind is he goes on to mention Blazing Saddles in the most useless context he could hope to.  What a fucking idiot.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
I may not find PA all that amusing, but my respect for them grows.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Duke Nukem Forever: Delayed to June 2011!
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »
Duke Nukem Forever Delayed Until June, Gearbox Maintains Sense of Humor.
We know, we know, as crazy and unfathomable as it sounds, Duke Nukem Forever's launch is being pushed back. Who would have guessed? Okay, so maybe everyone could have anticipated yet another delay, but at least this time it's only being held back a month and will ship in June (hopefully) instead of May, as originally planned (actually, it was originally supposed to ship over a decade ago). Still, we have to hand it to Gearbox for keeping a sense of humor about the whole thing, which is really all they can do given DNF's comical history of delays.

"We thank Duke's fans for their continued patience -- I promise this won't take another 15 years," says 2K President Christoph Harmann in a statement.

There's a video announcement in the link as well.

It's almost expected but worthwhile if it means a better product. I just hope it had nothing to do with the women and the spanking.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »
If they take that out, I'm going to be pissed just based on the fact that they pussied out over some BS.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »
If they take that out, I'm going to be pissed just based on the fact that they pussied out over some BS.
Yeah, I kinda expect Gearbox of all devs to stand up to the BS and do what they want to do.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 07:30:26 AM »
If they do anything, they should make a toggle option so you can carry around a half-naked dude if you don't want women. Lets see the outrage then.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
*sigh* Ok, first off if anyone even thinks about touching a Mel Brooks movie other than Mel Brooks, then they should be killed on sight. PS, Blazing Saddles without the racial slurs wouldn't even be the same kind of movie. Its basically the entire premise (A black sheriff? Unheard of!).

Secondly, treating women as objects is bad. I wish I could play as an impossibly muscled, alien killing, world saving badass without all those...what do you call them? Stereotypes?

I missed this until now.  Reading that, I had to scroll back up to check the name of the writer because as soon as I read "Offensive misogyny" I assumed it was written by a female pseudo-academic (most likely philosophy major...possibly my old ethics professor).  It's a bit of an exaggeration.  If anything, it's demeaning, but misogynistic? That's a whole different level and nothing he describes really fits the bill.  Regardless, the guy's an idiot and his Blazing Saddles line really brings it to light.  It's not a hard movie to "get".  The satire isn't particularity deep and yet it seems he walked away thinking he just watched something else.

Oh, and Mel Brooks is planning a Blazing Saddles musical.  So, one might say a reboot.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »
Here's a movie which, in 1973, casts a black man as the hero of an old Western town who defeats all the evil white establishment, and wins the hearts and minds of the racist townies.  Then this moron who is probably too young to have seen it in its proper context goes and trashes it obliquely in a context that doesn't remotely apply.  Nice journalism.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 08:55:29 AM »
It's the Internet.  There is no journalism here.  Only blogging.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, April 09, 2011, 06:17:49 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, May 03, 2011, 06:02:23 PM »
PC Version's System Requirements.

Minimum Specifications
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 Ghz
    Memory: 1 Gb
    Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
    Video Memory: 256 MB
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended Specifications
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
    Memory: 2 Gb
    Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
    Video Memory: 512 MB
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

OTHER REQUIREMENTS & SUPPORTS
    Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication;
software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft DirectX, Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (ATL), Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, and AMD Dual Core Optimizer. (AMD optimizer required only for specific AMD processors to run the game correctly, but installs for all of them.)

Software license terms available at www.take2games.com/eula.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #69 on: Monday, May 30, 2011, 08:58:31 AM »
Duke Nukem Forever - Fully Loaded Edition (PC).

PC games don't often get special editions like their console counterparts, so it's interesting to not only see Duke Nukem Forever get one, but get one that is uniquely designed to the platform. Duke Nukem Forever: Fully Loaded comes with a limited edition GTX 560 graphics card, you see.

Here's the full package:

Limited edition EVGA GeForce GTX 560 graphics card.
    Art book.
    Mousepad.
    Belt buckle.
    Duke Nukem Forever.

It's unique, I'll give 'em that. Especially when you consider the fact that you really, really won't need a new graphics card to play this game. At least if you're a big enough PC gamer to want this version.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #70 on: Monday, May 30, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »
Eeesh, I wonder how much that'll cost!

It might b worthwhile if you were already planning to grab a GTX560.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 11:14:37 PM »
Yep, got the e-mail from First Access Club.

UPDATE:
Got access to the DNF demo! Get code from First Access Club and download via Steam!

~1.7GB Downloading now.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 03, 2011, 02:30:26 AM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Friday, June 03, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
Yep, got the e-mail from First Access Club.

UPDATE:
Got access to the DNF demo! Get code from First Access Club and download via Steam!

~1.7GB Downloading now.

Same here.
DOWNLOADING!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Friday, June 03, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »
So, what you think of the Demo, Xessive? Or anybody else that played it?

Graphics...are not spectacular by any means. Had it running all the way up w/ no problems. Eh, not impressed here, technically - didn't expect to be, either.
If this came out a few years ago - this would've been something to look at.

Duke can only hold two gun-weapons at once and some tossing weapons (pipe bombs).
Not sure how I feel about this - I'm use to Duke carrying like 10+ guns and switching through them - a la DN3D.
Makes the game more strategic on what to carry, though.

Gunplay sure feels pretty good.
The typical Duke guns return - Shrink Ray, Ripper gun, Handgun, Shotgun.
The new RAILGUN kicks ass.

EGO meter is your health and can regenerate. No cover system like Gears and many other things, but expect to take cover behind things - A LOT. And expect them to get destroyed, too.

Jon St. John as Duke w/ those one-liners are great. :)

I do want more. Surely, this isn't enough Duke to really give me too much of an opinion - just like how I felt about Crysis 2 Demo and Dragon Age 2 Demo. Just as it's getting going, it feels like I get cut-off way too quickly. I dunno - maybe I should stay away from demos or something b/c they seem to be leaving me feeling, "Geez...that's it for content?"

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #75 on: Friday, June 03, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
I can't say I'm feeling it. After 15 minutes I didn't even feel like finishing the demo, but I can't really give a good solid reason why. The movement, gunplay, and visuals just didn't feel like they were gelling into a solid game. That's sort of interesting to me because it seems like a game very much in need of fine tuning and tightening, but clearly the content is there. Maybe this is what 3D Realms got stuck on and Gearbox just said fuck it, did what they could to tie up loose content ends, and pushed it out.

Clearly, that's guessing a lot from 15 minutes of a demo but when a shooter doesn't immediately feel good when your shooting there's a problem.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #76 on: Friday, June 03, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
I liked it. I thought the demo gave a fair taste of what to expect. The best part for me was that it felt like classic Duke3D brought into current times. It really feels like a game that was developed by true fans of the original.

It's tough to judge the game based on the demo but if its objective was to convince me to get buy the full game: mission accomplished; I'm sold.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, June 08, 2011, 10:50:25 PM »
Evil Avatar updated on twitter:
Anyone who has a pre-order out there for Duke Nukem Forever, I suggest you cancel your pre-order now. Wait for the reviews.
Ruh-roh.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, June 08, 2011, 11:17:30 PM »
Damn it! I went through a lot of lengths to pre-order two copies since it's banned here!

EDIT:
The Evil Avatar forums posters seem to be among the few who complain that they hated the demo.

Honestly I liked the demo; it was exactly what I expected and it showed off some of the gameplay without giving away too much.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
PCGamer review

80/100

The biggest sadness is that DNF has adopted the Halo-style two-weapon system, which frequently forced me to abandon my beloved Shrink Ray for lack of ammo.
Boo-urns! That should be the first Duke mod, let you carry and switch between all weapons.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 10, 2011, 03:44:20 PM by idolminds »