Author Topic: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors  (Read 2344 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
« on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 01:38:57 AM »
AKA 999.

It's a DS game, apparently a visual novel/room escape adventure game.  9 strangers awake on a ship in the middle of the water in a SAW-type situation and are informed they have 9 hours to escape before the ship sinks.  Also, if they don't follow the rules set forth, the bombs in their stomachs will motherfucking explode.

I haven't played it as it isn't out here yet (but out in the US), but there is an online demo available here:

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/pages/demo

Likewise, I haven't really gotten into that much as I'm pretty much already sold/don't have the time, but I thought you guys might want to check it out.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 03:35:12 AM »
That was a pretty neat demo, I'll definitely have to look into getting the game.  Thanks for posting it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 08:07:51 AM »
Aksys has gotten some pretty interesting games in their lineup... might have to take a look.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 09:56:17 PM »
So, I've been playing this.  It's totally not really my kind of thing, but I love it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
Oh fuck, and I just deleted my save by opting to start again and just hitting buttons through the warning messages.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 10:07:53 PM »
Haha, that was short-lived.

I found this intriguing but lost track of it. How is it?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »
You know how you can suspend your disbelief long enough to make a story work but sometimes the story goes too far and then it ends up looking like bullshit?

This game does that.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 26, 2012, 01:43:53 AM »
You know how you can suspend your disbelief long enough to make a story work but sometimes the story goes too far and then it ends up looking like bullshit?

This game does that.

Really?  Damn. What I've heard is that you have to play it a couple of times or something in order to really understand what is going on.  I don't know, it didn't get that far before I motherfucking deleted anything.  I just like the logical puzzles...and twenty minutes of reading in between each one.

Haha, that was short-lived.

I found this intriguing but lost track of it. How is it?

I'm enjoying it.  It's a really laid back gaming experience.  Ton of text, puzzle, ton of text, puzzle. It also seems like your choices have  a real impact from what I've seen from just fucking around and there are a few different branches to the story.  I'd say that it's worth trying out if you can find it for cheap.

Also, the game IS actually blatantly made for multiple play throughs. On starting up again I could all of a sudden skip text (if I couldn't, I wouldn't be doing this), and your previous choices at branching points are made apparent to you. Fucking life saver for retards like myself.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 26, 2012, 07:49:05 AM »
Its a cool game with a neat setup. Its just the true ending kinda goes into nutso land.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 28, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
Yeah, so aparently where I lost my save earlier was right before one of the endings.  It actually only took me about twenty min to get back there since I'd already ran through the puzzles and could skip the dialogue.  Finished it, awesome...time to go for a different ending.

The concept they have there is pretty cool.  Text/adventure game where you can only gets bits of the story at a time for contextual reasons. Play through multiple times to figure out what was going on. Neat. Skipping cuts down on the monotony of doing so and new puzzles are always interesting. 

So, I'm rolling through my second play through and some of the new conversations I'm having are taking a turn fort the fucking stupid and weird. Like, expanding on themes that I guess I just glossed over initially, but now I can't because they're the only real themes that keep on coming up. I think I know where this is going and I may heed Idol's warning here:  I'll probably save myself ten hours and just read a plot synopsis or something.

But seriously, why can't anyone (Japanese) just have a cool fucking mystery game without all this weird bullshit in it? Fuck you, anime.