Author Topic: Outland (XBLA now, PSN whenever)  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Outland (XBLA now, PSN whenever)
« on: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 08:39:12 PM »
This game is pretty cool.  Platforming with red/blue polarity reversals.  Everything I read says that mechanic comes from Ikaruga, but I wouldn't know, since I never played it.  I went through the trial tonight.  Very stylish and smooth.  The polarity thing affects not only what you can hurt or can hurt you (opposite color) but also what becomes solid for your use (same color).  It's reportedly similar to Metroid or Castlevania in its progression, but the trial was too short for me to get any sense of that.  I'm a bit afraid of the spike in difficulty that is supposed to come along later, but overall I'm fairly impressed.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Outland (XBLA now, PSN whenever)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
Looks cool.  I might pick it up once I finish my backlog.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
I should have read this thread more carefully because I didn't realize that this was a Metroidvania game. Before I thought it would be something more level based and was mildly interested. However, last night I listened to an old podcast and the reviewer went on about how it opens up to a Metoid-like experience despite feeling a bit constrained in the initial stages (where I assume the demo starts at). After that I decided I should give it a go. Now the decision is to wait for PSN to come back online and potentially not have time to play because this summer is going to get really busy really fast or just grab it tonight and run through it on the 360. I imagine the 360 is going to win out here. At least it will look good next to Shadow Complex on the digital game shelf.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 10:49:04 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »
Wow, that looks amazing. I'm all over that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野