Author Topic: Terraria  (Read 13005 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Terraria
« on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »
http://www.terraria.org/

You Minecraft fags might enjoy this.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 14, 2012, 05:10:25 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Terraria
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
Looks interesting.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 11:12:48 PM »
Holy fuck that trailer was awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »
Yeah, I thought it might appeal to some people here, especially considering the post I saw on it was entitled "Minecraft + Metroidvania?"

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 12:55:36 AM »
Four pack available on Steam for $29.99

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
Has anyone tried this yet? Is it worth the $10 on Steam?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »
I haven't, but I think I'm about to bite. I can't help it. It looks too awesome.

EDIT - I bit, and it's awesome. I'll have a demonstrative video up shortly detailing the how and why of the awesome.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 11:25:34 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 12:02:21 AM »
Did you buy via Steam? If so I may grab it tomorrow, I want some peeps to play this with if I get it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »
Steam is the only option, far as I know, otherwise I wouldn't have.

My little video thing got carried away (this game is exactly the same kind of time sink as Minecraft, except now you actually have a bunch of creative weapons and armor, 30 enemy types, and bosses to fight, so it's even worse), but hopefully I'll have that up before long. So I'll just say this for now: if you liked what you saw in the trailer, just buy the game. It's all that plus some.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Okay! Video is happening!

Looks pretty decent in HD, and includes insane world map at the end showing you just how huge the game can be. Just wanted to show the opening stages of the game, and you get to see my little town go up from virtually nothing to a thriving little community.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 10:34:14 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
Dude, awesome video, really well done all around. I'm sold now. Gonna get this tomorrow.

Have you tried co-op (or can you have more? I dunno)?. I would love to play with some people here when I get it. You seem to know a bit about the interface and mechanics, so I'll have to tinker around a bit to figure everything out before we get going.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
Tinkering is necessary. It's got a bit of the same Minecrafty wonkiness to it initially, takes a little time to figure out how to do everything. I haven't tried coop yet because I don't know anybody else with a working copy of the game, heh. I think shock said he picked it up, and idol is trying desperately, but apparently Steam doesn't want his business.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
Well let me figure everything out tomorrow when I have some time and maybe we can get a game going this weekend, we will make shock play. And hopefully Idol figures out his issues.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
Yeah, that'd be awesome!

EDIT - Wait... what? It's almost 5 in the fucking morning and I've been playing how long?

... HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 26, 2011, 02:42:38 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 26, 2011, 06:42:25 AM »
That sounds too familiar.  I so hate bleary-eyed mornings.

Nice job putting that together.  The game looks like quite an addictive time sink.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 27, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
Really having fun with this game... feel like it's got something for everyone, and beginning to think that it doesn't have to be a pure time sink. In a smaller world with more resources you could move a lot faster, and once you know what you're doing, I think you can aim your endeavors in more marked fashion. Haven't enjoyed a game this much in a very long time.

Anyone up to play this weekend? I may be gone for a good chunk or even all of it, though not really sure yet. Either way... tonight would be a great night to play! I'll be playing all night regardless.

If I can get Nick to open ports for me on the network, I'd be happy to host, and I have an established world that would be a fun place for newbies to the game to get their feet wet, with lots of already-established tunnels and a town that has everybody except the Dryad and Arms Dealer NPCs.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, May 28, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
Que...are you gonna be on tonight? I'm tempted to buy it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 29, 2011, 02:41:52 AM »
I ended up getting this since I finished up LA Noire yesterday and I'm liking it a lot so far.  Trying to find some iron ore right now so I can make a chest so I can store stuff in my safehouse.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Monday, May 30, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
Man, I'm gone the weekend and this is all I come back to? Was hoping to hear some great war stories upon my return. Anybody been playing?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
Alright. I've got medium sized world up with at least Idol running around. If anyone wants to join feel free.

Game info:
(click to show/hide)

Hope to see you there.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 06:48:25 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 08:54:48 PM »
Sorry I missed it, Sy. I had hoped to play but just couldn't get back home in time.

Once I get stuff set up at my new place, I'll put up a dedicated server for everybody.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
I can set up a server at some point too if you run into any problems later Que.  It's just been a bit hectic here lately with my roommate moving out and a new one moving in.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
Sorry I jetted unexpectedly last night.  Something came up.  Anyhow, it's readily apparent I need to spend some time with the game.  What you guys had going last night was pretty neat.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
I think I should be able to get it going again at some point tonight. We should do it again.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 04:46:30 PM »
I'm down!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »
Alright. There's a world up right now with (hopefully) the same info as before. I'm not in right now, but I should join in soon after I take care of some stuff.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »
Doesn't seem to want to let me connect... active refusal.

EDIT - Got it sorted out and that was some seriously epic fun. Running around hitting rocks with hammers... it almost felt like a Fishminers Union... uh, reunion.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 12:18:17 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
Another game's up. If you folks want to run around feel free. I might or might not join you tonight. Depends on how the work goes.

Looks like there's a new patch up that allows for higher resolutions and for the host to actually be in the game without starting a new instance. Good stuff, although at my max resolution things might be a little too small, so I just went lower. At least I can use proper aspect ratios and the full screen now.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 11:03:56 PM »
Dunno if they added some kind of license check or if the netcode changed too much but every time I tried to join your server it would download the blocks and as soon as it brought me into the game I would immediately lose connection.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Friday, June 03, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »
It's great that they added the ability to change the window size, but unfortunately they don't allow you to change the res unless fullscreen, which means you have to play with super duper tiny sprites in windowed mode now. But then you can see like this huge portion of the world you couldn't before... so I dunno' if I like it or not. Once I start paying I tend to forget about it either way.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 11:10:33 AM »
Added Feature! - Social Slots. All normal armor and vanity items can be placed here to use their graphical appearance in place of equipped gear without overriding their stat gains.
New Vanity Items - Tuxedo Shirt and Pants
New Vanity Items - Plumber Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Items - Hero Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Item - Bunny Hood
New Vanity Item - Fish Bowl
New Vanity Item - Top Hat
New Vanity Items - Archaeologist's Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Item - Ninja Outfit.
New Vanity Item - Red Hat.
New Vanity Item - Summer Hat
New Vanity Item - Robe
New Vanity Item - Robot Hat
New Vanity Item - Gold Crown
New Item - Leather
New Item - Green Dye
New Item - Black Dye
You can now wear the Jungle Rose in your hair
The Water Candle’s enemy spawn rate increase effect now works correctly when held
Some items that were missing ‘lore text’ in their tool-tips now have them.(Breathing Reed,Grappling Hook Jungle Rose.)
Ammo items are now listed as Ammo in their tool-tip and Equipable Items that offer no stat bonus list as Vanity Items in their tool-tip. Items used in any recipe now list as Materials, in their tool-tip.
The Magic Hat now offers 2 Defense to its wearer and the Empty Bucket now offers 1 Defense to its wearer.
Dungeon Blocks now require at least a Nightmare Pick to mine, unless they are near the spawn location, where they can be mined by any pick.
Phoenix Blaster has had a reduction of stats to balance better with other items of its tier.
Gem, Mushroom and Bottle sell values have been reduced.
Hell Forges above the rock layer can be moved with any hammer, but below require a 60% power hammer or stronger.
Angel Statues are now more rare of a find.

NPCs
        New NPC - Bunny
        New NPC - Goldfish (Is also an Item)
        New Enemy - Corrupt Bunny
        New Enemy - Corrupt Goldfish
        New Enemy - Piranha
        New Enemy - Harpy
        New Random Mini- Boss - King Slime
        New Enemy - Bat
        New Enemy - Jungle Bat
        New Enemy - Jungle Slime
        New Enemy - Snatcher
        New Rare Enemy - Dr. Bones
        New Rare Enemy - The Groom
        New NPC - A Clothier will now move into your town when the conditions are met.
        Enemy spawn distance has been pushed back to the maximum resolution to ensure that they will never spawn on the screen.
        Enemy spawn rates have been adjusted to account for the increased spawn distance.
        Enemy projectiles no longer drop hearts or stars when killed by the player.
        The Eater of Worlds now has Higher HP, Def and Dmg, making battling him more difficult.
        Hornets no longer appear as if they are about to flip over while flying.
        The Dead Miner is now a bit stronger.
        Tim’s spawn chance has been reduced.

Player
                Players now have 1 second of invulnerability after they spawn.
                The eat/drink animation now plays correctly.

World-Gen
                        Surface Jungle’s are now possible on mud that is on the surface. Jungle trees will auto-grow on their own, as acorns are not usable on the jungle grass.
                        Chasms are now less frequent to appear, but always have an orb.
                        Mud now ‘blends’ graphically with dirt, rather than stone to add for a more crisp look in Jungles.
                        Jungle plants now grow underwater.

Multiplayer
                                Increased client side security.
                                Selecting summon items will no longer cause monsters to summon.
                                Players with a name over 20 characters will now get booted from the server.
                                Added some minor anti-grief protection.
                                Fixed a bug that would cause the client to attempt to summon an NPC during a multiplayer game and crash.
                                Added the -host command line parameter to the client.

Server
                                        Improved server timing, which should help reduce lag.
                                        Added several new command line and config options. These are listed in serverconfig.txt
                                        Servers will now output to crashlog.txt before crashing, allowing for more specific bug reporting.
                                        Clients will now output to client-crashlog.txt before crashing, allowing for more specific bug reporting.

Misc.
                                                Screen resolutions now have limits of 800x600 minimum and 1920x1200 maximum.
                                                Added an option that will pause the game while talking to an NPC or opening your inventory in single player. It defaults to off.
                                                Added an option to automatically save the world every 10 minutes. Defaults to on.
                                                Added a prompt to load a world backup if the current world is corrupt.
                                                Added a check to determine if a world file was loaded successfully.
                                                Attempting to Launch the game from the Terraria.exe, will now inform you to launch via Steam rather then doing nothing at all with no indication of why.
                                                Backing out of the port selection screen now plays the correct sound.
                                                Setting options now correctly align with the center of the screen in all resolutions.
                                                The settings menu has been reorganized. All video related options have their own menu
                                                The “Tink” sound now has a more dull sound.
                                                The Re-Logic splash screen, now scales correctly in other resolutions.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
Fucking hell. I know what I'm doing when my move is over...

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »
Just installed it.  Starting it up now.  Add me!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tux259
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Just installed also, ZenAgain10 on Steam

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
What an addicting, confusing, and deep game. Can't wait till I have a real idea of what is going on.  But this is very fun.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »
Yeah, deep is the word. I just played for 3 hours and I've hardly done anything. Built a little house for myself, explored a bit, and built another house hoping that a merchant would move in, but so far no luck. Which isn't surprising, because it's possibly the shittiest house that I have ever laid eyes on.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #36 on: Monday, June 13, 2011, 04:38:28 PM »
I've spent about 8 hours playing it today.  It just gets more and more addicting.

I build a 10 room apartment building/skyrise. :)
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #37 on: Monday, June 13, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »
What the fuck? Everybody starts playing as soon as I can't?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #38 on: Monday, June 13, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »
Why can't you play?

So I built a new world with my guy, carried my items over. I didn't really have much, only played a few hours. I built a small world instead of a medium and I'm really glad that I did. I looked online about how to lure npc's (my buildings weren't to code apparently). I quickly got the merchant in town after building a few houses. I built myself a nice starting building out of stone and ventured down. Found tons of resources (even found some topaz and purple stuff, forget the name). I found this really awesome boomerang, called an enchanted boomerang. Only does 12 damage but its ranged and repeatable and it lights up everything. Completely awesome. 

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 04:54:02 AM »
Aww snap.  That sounds awesome.  Hope I find one soon.  I've only found like one unique thing, and it lets me swim.  For weapons, I used all of the gold ore I found and made myself a gold bow.  I use that with the Flaming arrows.  It works great.  I can kill zombies in 3 hits and demon eyes in 4.   And the arrows are super cheap to make (wood and stone, then gel from a dead slime for the flaming part).

I'm still pretty low on ore for everything (copper, silver, gold, iron). It's taking a LONG time to find much.  I'm doing a small world, too.  I have huge, deep caves.  But they are all full of stone and dirt.

Oh, I spent about 2-3 hours yesterday fighting in the corruption (as I later figured out it is called).  It was awesome.  And terrifying.  It also goes on FOREVER.  I kept going into it, clearing a bunch (enemies spawn in waves, and they do it every 3 seconds or so), dying, then going back again.  I think my gear is still too crappy, though.

I did multiplayer with my brother last night.  It's really fun to pull someone into your world.  I showed him my hotel.  He was awestruck. :P
Suck it, Pugnate.