Author Topic: Fez is out, and it's broken  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Fez is out, and it's broken
« on: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 06:37:07 AM »
Fez is the first XBLA game I've looked forward to since Bastion.  The joy of its release on Friday was quickly replaced with disappointment due to multiple reports of hefty technical issues.  The reviews were candid about them, yet they were still very positive about the game (which is wrong, and only encourages the release of more broken games).  My decision to wait turned out to be the right one.  Today I learned that the problems are actually quite severe, and they're being worked on.  Hold on to your wallets until the fix.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fez is out, and it's broken
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »
I can't even play it due to broken Xbox. Shame to see there are so many nasty bugs, but I think the greater shame is that there's no PC version that I can eventually play when all these bugs are worked out. We can only hope the lure of the indie bundle money will get his attention...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »
I can't believe Microsoft hasn't come up with some sort of API that would work on most PCs and XBLA.  But they would need a decent storefront for that to work, I guess and Windows Live or whatever it is called these days is still a mess.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »
I think they've basically abandoned it wholesale.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 11:29:01 PM »
From the comments of the Fez news page:

"mtcivera

Bought Fez, played for 10 minutes and it froze.  Now my 360 has red ringed :( I was so happy to get this game, and now I hate myself for buying it."

You know a console sucks if a game can result in it permanently malfunctioning. WTF?

At least my PS3 doesn't do that. Though, my second 360 is still good. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 16, 2012, 12:14:36 AM »
I think they've basically abandoned it wholesale.

Good, it sucked.  I've only lost saves with GFWL and it seems like it's more of a bitch to deal with logging in and stuff than Steam or even Origin.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 16, 2012, 06:31:21 AM »
Good, it sucked.  I've only lost saves with GFWL and it seems like it's more of a bitch to deal with logging in and stuff than Steam or even Origin.
That's true. It's a pain in the ass to deal with for setting up. Once it is set up with auto-login though it goes relatively smoothly: seamlessly launches the game and relatively non-intrusive. That doesn't set it apart from other services though, it would be like giving it credit for something it's supposed to do (or not supposed to as the case may have it).

Capcom seem to be obsessively clinging on to GFWL for their gimped PC releases.

Conceptually, I like GFWL: it's a service that launches only when the game launches (it doesn't need to be open separately), it stays hidden away until you want to bring it up, and it sorts out online features through a unified infrastructure. Conceptually that sounds like a solution to many problems for both developers and consumers. In practice? It doesn't seem to work the way it was imagined, especially not with its rudimentary delivery system e.g. patches/updates, DLC, and even digital purchases.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 16, 2012, 07:23:58 AM »
From the comments of the Fez news page:

"mtcivera

Bought Fez, played for 10 minutes and it froze.  Now my 360 has red ringed :( I was so happy to get this game, and now I hate myself for buying it."

You know a console sucks if a game can result in it permanently malfunctioning. WTF?

At least my PS3 doesn't do that. Though, my second 360 is still good. :P

You can find that same comment about every game in existence, if you search for it.  "[X game] killed my 360!"  The truth is that the craptastic system was going to fail shortly, no matter what bit of stress pushed it over the edge.  I'm not afraid of Fez killing my system, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend any time at all in game known to be a technical mess ahead of time.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to Skyrim.  :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 16, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
Yeah, that's bullshit. There's no specific game that ever kills a 360. Those things were piles of shit from the start.