Author Topic: Rootkit found in Ubisoft DRM, patched out today (allegedly)  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Rootkit found in Ubisoft DRM, patched out today (allegedly)
« on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 08:57:01 AM »
For those who willingly submit to their always-online DRM, see the story here.  The update is supposed to take care of the issue.  I hope so.  (No, really I don't.  I hope they crash and burn.   :-[)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Rootkit found in Ubisoft DRM, patched out today (allegedly)
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
Those bastards! (what is a rootkit?)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
A rootkit is a stealthy type of malicious software designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continued privileged access to a computer.

I dont know if rootkit is really the right word to use, but it was still a huge screwup by Ubisoft. Auto-installs a browser plugin that is easily exploited? Thanks, jerks. Luckily I have no Ubisoft PC games that use Uplay.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
Well, luckily I don't use IE.

Uplay did automatically update itself when I launched it earlier.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
This sort of reminds me of that whole Intuit TurboTax 2002 fiasco where their DRM was that C-DILLA spyware crap that installed itself as a rootkit in your bootsector.  I hate not being warned about this stuff, and no, sticking it at the bottom of the two-thousand-line EULA is not a warning.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 09:00:34 PM »
uPlay sucks balls.  Like, I like the latest PoP game, but it's such a bitch because uPlay is pretty much the worst service ever.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »
uPlay sucks balls.  Like, I like the latest PoP game, but it's such a bitch because uPlay is pretty much the worst service ever.
Yep, especially when its Cloud Sync service erases all your saves! It wiped all my Splinter Cell Conviction data. It kept doing it every time I load the game up. The only workaround was to disable Cloud Sync, the only good feature about Uplay.