Author Topic: Halo 3!  (Read 30524 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Halo 3!
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 12:10:11 PM »
That would be interesting if true.

Would let us see what someone else could do with the Halo franchise, and would also allow us to to look at Bungie's skills outside of Halo.

Imagine if M$ contracted someone like say Epic do a Halo IP-based game....heh.

About Bungie, I wonder what they'll do next....

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 01:23:44 PM »
I heard they are hiring someone to shoot you in the face.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 01:41:34 PM »
*yawns*

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »
Imagine if M$ contracted someone like say Epic do a Halo IP-based game....heh.

About Bungie, I wonder what they'll do next....

I've known for aa while that Peter Jackson (and I think Weta) were working on a game someone more recently told me that te game was set to be in the Halo universe.... I hope this is true!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »
Hmm... interesting.  On one hand, it's good for Microsoft because most of the people that play Halo don't do so out of any sort of love affair of Bungie.  Also, Bungie's technical skills seem to be suspect, and it is possible that another developer would do a better job in that area.  But people really seemed to like the MP.  Would another company be able to hammer out, tweak, and balance the kind of gameplay that Halo players have come to love?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
I don't think this would have a huge effect on either company.  Well, maybe Bungie, they have a lot more to lose.

Oh, and can someone find the M$ penny-arcade comic?  We really need to throw that into every post D does that in.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 10:54:58 PM »
And it gets even more interesting....
Looks like for ALL of Bungie's future games, Microsoft has the "first right of refusal on future games."

Link!

More Bungie Rumors [October 02, 2007, 11:24 pm ET] - 10 Comments
Bungie Actually Leaving Microsoft? on GameInformer lends a little of their credibility to rumors that a Bungie split from Microsoft is in the offing (story). Word is:

While the majority of Internet denizens are stating that this could never happen and that it’s not true, we’ve heard the opposite. From a source close to Bungie, Game Informer has learned this rumor has some merit. It looks like with Halo 3, Bungie really is finishing the fight.

Our source stated that Bungie is “tired of Making Halo, and didn’t want to do future Halo games.” For an unstated, but significant amount of money, Bungie shareholders bought the studio name back from Microsoft. Our source also revealed that even though Microsoft will retain the rights to Halo, Microsoft also has “the right of first refusal on future games.” This means that Microsoft has the first shot at publishing Bungie’s future titles. How this will come into play if Bungie decides they want future game X to appear on the PlayStation 3 and Wii alongside an Xbox 360 release will make things quite interesting.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 12:12:54 AM »
If Bungie had any desire to ever be even remotely independent, selling their souls to Microsoft was probably not the wisest idea, much less developing their flagship franchise for them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 12:36:52 AM »
If Bungie refuses to make more Halo titles then MS really has little use for them right now. Of course the reason for the "right of first refusal" thing is so Bungie can't make anything Halo-like for other systems. Like...how does MS own the rights to Halo? Name obviously, but what about what makes it really Halo (characters, concepts, etc)? Could Bungie make a "Not Halo" game set in the same universe? Don't really want a FEAR/Project Origin or Crysis/Far Cry situation. And you especially don't want a Bungie made "Not Halo" game on the PS3. So they keep first publishing rights to prevent that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 12:40:08 AM »
Though honestly, don't most publishers hold on to the entirety of the creative rights when it comes to that stuff?  I got the impression that Monolith's retaining of its characters was just something they worked to get on their own, not something that's the norm for your average developer.  I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've always gotten.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 01:01:48 AM »
Depends on the deal they made, I suppose. This particular case is interesting because Halo become the flagship title for MS, and they had no way of knowing that before the contract was signed.

But seeing as how MS owns Bungie proper and wasn't simply publishing, they probably do own it in its entirety. Hence Halo Wars pawned off on another studio.

I'm glad Bungie wants to do other things. Some studios would just run Halo into the ground because they know people will pay for it, but Bungie seems to aspire to be more than just "the company that makes Halo." Just...hire some new level designers. Please?

Also, calling it now: MS will produce a "Halo Tournament" multiplayer only game set in the Halo universe. Thats really all people want anyway. Now that the trilogy is complete they don't have to worry about pesky story.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 03:32:26 AM »
Though honestly, don't most publishers hold on to the entirety of the creative rights when it comes to that stuff?  I got the impression that Monolith's retaining of its characters was just something they worked to get on their own, not something that's the norm for your average developer.  I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've always gotten.

Yea I think that's about right.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 07:24:51 AM »
I read the right to first refusal to simply mean that Microsoft can say "yeah, we're publishing this title" and therefore keep it off other systems.  It doesn't sound like they can say "No, we're not publishing this title, and you're not making it for anyone else either."

So if there was a Halo-like game, the only way Microsoft could keep it off other systems would be to accept the publishing rights.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 07:29:20 AM »
Yes, exactly.  First refusal is exactly what its name implies - they simply get first dibs.  If they pass on it, anyone else is welcome to it, but they get the opportunity to snatch it up or pass on it before anyone else does.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 08:47:34 AM »
It'll be REALLY interesting to see what future Bungie-made titles Microsoft will want to publish and won't want to publish...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 09:23:40 AM »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
WOW MYSTERD POSTS MORE ANTI-HALO CRAP

DID NOT SEE THAT COMING
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 03:12:09 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't give a flying shit about multiplayer, and neither do a lot of people.

That's the most memorable quote, to me.  The review goes right along with what I've been thinking.  (Everything else is details about the game, which I can't know about, not having played it.)  Decent, but overly short game, hyped to the stratosphere so far that even the mainstream reviewers got blown upwards into it.  The expectations of the masses are too strong to oppose.  And that's the better scenario.  It assumes they're honest journalists.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 04:22:05 PM »
But first you have to assume that they're even journalists. 

Anyways, if you like Halo, buy it or rent it, if you don't then whatever.  I don't get why so many people still argue over this series.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 07:41:07 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 08:53:59 PM »
I like him even when he rips on games I like.
Agreed.

I loved Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation on Bioshock, which is a game I absolutely loved.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »
Agreed.

I loved Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation on Bioshock, which is a game I absolutely loved.

Yes D we know.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2007, 11:15:25 PM »
I love those reviews.  Hilarious.

I'm enjoying Halo 3 right now, but it is by no means revolutionary.  I haven't tried the multiplayer aspect though; I will once I finish the campaign.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #183 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 12:57:41 AM »
Anyways, if you like Halo, buy it or rent it, if you don't then whatever.  I don't get why so many people still argue over this series.

Amen to that.

I'm playing through Halo 2 currently, never did get a chance to check it out due to the fact I didn't have an Xbox at the time. So far its really impressing me, I plan to make the Halo 3 purchase as soon as I get paid.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 01:47:41 AM »
Why do people argue about the merits of film or literature?  Why do people bother discussing the finer details of instrumental technique or the creative twists of music theory in a song?  I think it's plainly obvious why, and it's no different here than it is anywhere else.  I even gave you an alternative answer if you're inclined to ignore the obvious ones, and my guess is you simply don't care for it.  Sadly, this makes it no less viable.  You may find it annoying, but a majority of what I personally enjoy *doing* with my hobby-life is discussing the artistic and mechanical merit of the things that I enjoy, and I imagine plenty of others do as well.  Just because it comes down to a matter of taste doesn't make the discussion worthless.  We've already well established that Halo mostly comes down to a matter of taste and what deficiencies one is willing to put up with in their games (this stuff is different for everyone), and hence the conversation in regards to all that has pretty much stopped.  So my only point is directly in relation to the comment that someone wouldn't get why people argue and discuss this stuff.

Games are one of my biggest hobbies.  What in God's name makes you think I'm not going to want to discuss what is one of the biggest franchises that exists?  You may not like my opinion of said franchise, but that shouldn't mean that you find it unfathomable that I might have one, or that I might be interested in the opinions of others in regards to the same thing.  I don't really care if others feel differently than I do.  Even if I don't like Halo, that doesn't mean I'm not interested in *why* others do.  In fact, it would stand to reason that I'd be *more* curious, not less.  If I liked it, I'd probably like it for most of the same reasons that everyone else does, so what need would I have of anyone else's opinion on the matter?

And as I've stated already, my interest in making my own viewpoint known and detailed here in the past is so that I wouldn't come off as a tool who's just bashing the games for no reason.  Many people will accuse one of such in the face of a popular franchise (and it's happened here already), so I want people to know the actual reasons I have for it not being my cup of tea.  That doesn't need to equal condemnation, confusion as to why I might want to discuss it, or disbelief that a cultural phenomenon might get talked about, made fun of, or just be something of a general public spectacle either under praise or admonition.  We don't have to fight over it, but at least acknowledge that people are going to talk about things because... it's what people do.  Why else do we come to a message board?  To talk.

EDIT - I hope that didn't sound too confrontational.  Not trying to get anybody's ire up, I'm just trying to state why exactly people like to talk (and maybe sometimes argue) about these things.  I hate it when I get made out to be a troll just because I'm interested in discussing something.  I wasn't that big on Half-life 2 either in certain ways, and I got really fucking tired of being sniped for making legitimate complaints about its design.  That didn't mean I was trying to rag on it just because, or that I was just trying to piss somebody off... it was simply part of a discussion.  Same thing here.  It isn't personal, it isn't with the intention of being belligerent, and I don't think any less of someone that likes Halo (Pyro, Keebs, and K-Man all do, and I think they're all pretty fucking nifty people, and I generally share similar taste in games with them anyway)... I just find the whole sense of division here interesting for a variety of reasons.

Maybe it just comes down to people wanting threads where the only posts within them are about the game itself as it relates to people who like it.  Certainly not every thread has to be a discussion of the merits of one thing or another, and it would make sense that this might get on people's nerves when all they want to do is talk about what they liked with other people who liked it too.  So I guess in that sense maybe I understand, but... maybe that just means we need a separate thread in these instances just for people who want to gush about something and talk about SuperAwesomeMoments A - F instead of whether or not somebody liked where the developers put the shotgun on level 42.  Or something.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 03:33:32 AM »
Is it time to compare someone to Hitler yet?  :-[

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 05:20:06 AM »
I'm with Que on all of this, for the most part -- except for the part that I really liked Half-Life 2, though. :P
(Despite having to deal w/ sucky-ass STEAM).

I'll definitely take Quake 2, Bioshock and F.E.A.R. all over HL2 any day, though.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 08:24:50 AM »
i dunno, i tend to keep my mouth shut about games that i haven't even played. i don't have a problem with people criticizing the game, but the majority of the criticism seems to come from people who are already predisposed to a dislike of the halo franchise *and* haven't actually played the game themselves. if you want to discuss something, that's cool - but i personally would never form my own critique of something (be it film, book, music or game) based on someone else's review.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
You got me there.  As I said earlier, I've kept my feelings on H3 mostly to myself because I haven't played it (and have no intention of playing it).  That becomes harder to do when someone I respect (e.g., ZP/Yahtzee) puts out a review that point for point seems to be coming out of my head.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's most likely a duck.  I don't need to dissect the thing, do I?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #189 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 02:39:24 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 03:30:32 PM »
Yep, and aren't the reasons for that worship the focus of our recent discussion?  Dissent is allowed.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 04:58:40 PM »
"Why do people argue about the merits of film or literature?"

If you want to break it down completely, I've heard it argued that even doing so is illogical because you're arguing about something so abstract and subjective anyways that you have no basis to form pretences on.  That said, I don't know if I buy that.

My point here is we haven't covered any new ground in a conversation about Halo since the series started.  We know who likes it, we know who doesn't like it and the reasons never change.  We've had pretty much this exact thread three or four times now.  It's not even that anyone is arguing about this game, because most of the people talking here haven't even played the thing.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #192 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 05:06:52 PM »
oh, as far as i'm concerned, dissent is allowed. i encourage dissent. the game is flawed, it is not perfect at all. it's a lot of fun, but i don't think it deserves 10/10 reviews. i just hate seeing people caught up in backlash as much as i hate seeing people caught up in hype. i don't think it's really fair to judge it unless you've played it. for the record i think the zeropunctuation review was very funny and pretty much spot on as far as his criticisms go, but his style is clearly to be overly negative and skipping (or plain not getting) the things that make a game endeared by millions.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #193 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
"Why do people argue about the merits of film or literature?"

If you want to break it down completely, I've heard it argued that even doing so is illogical because you're arguing about something so abstract and subjective anyways that you have no basis to form pretences on.  That said, I don't know if I buy that.

Well, I definitely don't buy it.  There's room to consider that all things are on certain levels subjective, but to claim that it goes all the way to the root of everything is ridiculous.  *Everything* can only be subjective to those with a sincerely crippled viewpoint.

And I only half agree with beo.  I think you can easily judge things before playing them, just not 100% conclusively.  Most of my pre-judgments given to games turn out almost exactly right, as game development hasn't really had a lot of room to throw big surprises out there.  Even obscure games I'd never heard of (Ico, REZ, Disciples II) generally turned out pretty much the way I expected they would after doing a little research.  This may change as the industry continues to grow and get more nuanced, and I'm not saying you can rely on it fully, just that it's certainly possible to determine the likelihood of your enjoying something before you actually plunk down your money.  But yes, it's hard to argue specific details if you haven't experienced something firsthand.  Because of the fact that all things are, as we've said, subjective at least on certain levels, you never know how you'll feel about something completely until you go out and experience it.  People should be careful to not let their opinions become concrete when they've not yet played something and verified their suspicions (or the opinions they've read about).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #194 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »
Cevat Yerli of Crytek lays it down on Halo 3 and console shooters.

Quote from: Cevat Yerli of Crytek, who is working on Crysis
I tried to play Halo 1, I tried to play Halo 2. (laughs) I really didn't get it. It didn't get me, well I bought copies though. Again, conversely the Bioshock demo got me. It's not that it's not possible, but console shooters are at the level of PC shooters 5-6 years ago.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #195 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been saying.

Edit:  I didn't realize that Halo 3 is now the fastest-selling videogame ever.  What was it previously?  I would think it would have a tough time challenging Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.  It is surprising to me.  But the 360 library is pretty thin, so I guess it's not a bombshell, necessarily.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #196 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
I just gotta say, this stuff still gets me:

Last week, Halo 3 topped Spiderman 3 to become the highest earning entertainment launch in history with more than $170 million in single day receipts.
Ok, how many people had to drop $60 at the cheapest to watch Spiderman 3 in theaters? This was touched on in a recent 1UP Yours podcast. Like...sure you made a lot of money, but which one had more people going to see/play it?

On a similar note MS stated that Halo 3 had 2.7 million people play online. According to that same podcast, this is a little untruthful. Since Halo 3 does stat tracking and game recording and shit all the time, even in singleplayer...it all counts as connecting to Xbox Live. So if you played Halo 3 in any fashion, it counted towards that total.

Hmmm...thats funny. All the news stories I can find on "Halo 3 is fastest selling game ever" only mention dollar amounts and no actual number of units sold.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #197 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 05:00:17 PM »
Hmmm then again Spider-Man gave 2 hours of entertainment, while Halo 3 gives thrice as much in singleplayer and much more in multiplayer. As long as we are measuring value...

Also in terms of sales I hope Diablo 3 > Halo 3. :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #198 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 05:12:50 PM »
Good point about entertainment length, but they were talking day one sales. Whats the bigger entertainment event: one where you get 50 million people paying $1 or one where you have 1 million paying $50?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #199 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 05:18:59 PM »
Hmmm then again Spider-Man gave 2 hours of entertainment, while Halo 3 gives thrice as much in singleplayer and much more in multiplayer. As long as we are measuring value...

Also in terms of sales I hope Diablo 3 > Halo 3. :P

Speaking of Diablo 3, when the hell is Blizz gonna announce that???