Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 96422 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Update: 4GB LAA Patch released officially for PC
« Reply #280 on: Friday, December 30, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
I am grateful for my OCD saving habit! I've come across a few quest-breaking bugs i.e. a trap that springs but doesn't reset effectively blocking the only path ahead, quest-critical NPC getting trapped in wall, etc. They're few and despite them the game is still awesome.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Update: 4GB LAA Patch released officially for PC
« Reply #281 on: Saturday, December 31, 2011, 12:11:09 AM »
I had a 10-file save rotation on Oblivion, and that's on a console.  Heh.  Had to go back on the queue more than once to get out of a bug-induced jam.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #282 on: Saturday, December 31, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »
I only go 2 saves deep, have put in 120 hours, and have experience only one quest-breaker when a guy wouldn't get out of fight mode. I'm amazed, seriously, especially given that there are the 8 bajillion non-quests you can do now (for those without the game, these are one-line quests that go under a "misc" mass quest heading, and can be anything from simple favors for people to mini-quests). This game is so much bigger than any TES game before it, and yet is still so much more stable and bug-free by comparison.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #283 on: Thursday, January 05, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
You know what's annoying w/ Skyrim PC?

Every time I boot the game, it hangs at the load screen and makes sound, but sticks on the load screen.
So, I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager; then hit cancel OR make it switch to Skyrim program, it'll load the game and everything perfectly.

ANNOYING as hell.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #284 on: Saturday, January 07, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
I humbly submit the following for your consideration:

http://youtu.be/Bifmj1O3D24

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #285 on: Saturday, January 07, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
I humbly submit the following for your consideration:

http://youtu.be/Bifmj1O3D24
There's something profoundly disturbing about that :P

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, January 07, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
I'm up to about 100 hours on all my characters.  Finished all of the main quest/factions/etc.  I wish the main quest was a bit longer is my only new complaint.  I thought it ended a bit too abruptly.  Now I'm starting to run around and do more of the town specific quests, which I have mostly neglected.  They're really fun.

Per the OCD, I usually make a save file whenever I remember to.  Every few hours probably.  Never had to go back to one, though.  The game has two autosaves + quick save.  And I haven't come across a quest-breaking bug that can't be easily resolved (IE wait 24 hours and the guy will reappear).
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #287 on: Saturday, January 07, 2012, 09:12:45 PM »
I had a few geometry bugs that I had to TCL (toggle clipping) out of; I'd get stuck between a door and a wall, a trap door wouldn't reset, or get caught in a crevice while mountain trekking. The only thing that could be worrying is that using console cheats may disable achievements (as it did for me with Fallout New Vegas) if you care about that stuff.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #288 on: Sunday, January 08, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
You know what would've been nice?

If the game had an option to tell me what Books that I've read/opened already.
That way, I don't have to read or take the same book again, which I've likely already stores at my House in a chest or sold off somewhere.

Gee...this game's lure must be littered w/ a ridiculous amount of Books in it, by now, since they just keep adding to it w/ each game...

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #289 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
I'm sure the same thing happened with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout, ect, but this is getting silly.

Some dumbass: I think I'm getting bored with the game. It must therefor not be that great.
Someone with half a brain: Maybe you just played your fill. How much time did you clock?
Dumbass: 70+ hours.
Someone with more than half a brain: You're going to knock a game for lasting that long before you didn't want it anymore? How does that make sense?
Dumbass: If I got bored doesn't that make it bad?

Actually, I think this is more of the whole idea that nothing is allowed to be good anymore. Everyone has to bring everything down because, you know, it's all overrated.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #290 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 03:33:33 PM »
I'm 40 hours into this game and can't get enough of it...
40 hours on a modern day game and still loving it = GREAT.

Even despite its minor flaws & my extremely minor complaints, the game is absolutely amazing and one of the best RPG's ever made.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #291 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
At this point the gaming subforum might as well just contain this thread alone.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #292 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 03:12:16 PM »
At this point the gaming subforum might as well just contain this thread alone.

Haha!  I'd love to talk about Forza 4 and Dragon's Age (1), but nobody cares.  By the time I get Skyrim, nobody's going to care about that either.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #293 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
Dont worry Cobra, Ill be late to the Skyrim party as well.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #294 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
ditto...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #295 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »
Honestly, by then people will be talking about expansions, or the GOTY edition, or some great collection of mods. I still talk about Morrowind with K-man. I think you guys are safe.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #296 on: Friday, January 27, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »
For the first time in the game I feel like I've ventured to places I probably shouldn't have been.  I went into a ruin not far from Whiterun and came across a Draugur Scourge.  Guy was ridiculous.  He almost one-shotted me with an arrow.  I erred in saving in the room with him...during the fight.  I had to turn and run.  Barely made it out.

I went into some place called the Shimmering Cave.  Populated with Falmer up top, no big deal.  I go down and end up seeing these bug looking things called Chaurus.  These things are deadly.  I basically died in 2-3 hits, and there's little room to maneuver because I'm in a tight corridor.

Can solo dragons, gets stomped by cave bugs.  Lolz.

I dove into the guide last night and read up on all the perks you can get.  I think I'm going to have to devote some to light armor instead of solely going destruction/one-hand.  I think that will improve my chances greatly.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #297 on: Friday, January 27, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
Heh, I remember back when enemies could hurt me. It seems so long ago.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #298 on: Friday, January 27, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »
Heh, I remember back when enemies could hurt me. It seems so long ago.

Did you pump difficulty all the way up?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #299 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »
Did you pump difficulty all the way up?

OH SNAP!  D WITH

« Last Edit: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 02:10:04 PM by K-man »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #300 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
That's actually a really good point. I've been meaning to. Despite general ownage I was feeling like it was about right for a while, with enemies that gave me a real run for my money. But it's been a while since that's happened. I think it's high time to boost it up top. Of course, I haven't played in weeks now, so this is all assuming I even find time to get back to it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #301 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »
I like the difficulty slider in TES games. That way even if you've managed to fuck a build up, you can still cater the difficulty to where it's challenging, but still ultimately doable.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #302 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »
Add another victim.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -> Update: PC Patch 1.4 released
« Reply #305 on: Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 11:59:44 AM »
Rumor is accurate, its a high res texture pack.

Also all Elder Scrolls games are on sale on Steam.

$40 - Skyrim
$50 - Skyrim + Oblivion GOTY + Morrowind GOTY

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 12:18:04 AM »
The Steam Workshop for Skyrim is active but I wonder how it will affect great fan sites like Skyrim Nexus.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
DICE: Bethesda "Game Jam"
« Reply #307 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 04:04:26 AM »
DICE: Bethesda ‘Game Jam’ Brainstorms a Bevy of New Skyrim Features

Howard revealed the results of the Game Jam to a packed crowd during his keynote speech at the annual conference of gaming executives. He cautioned the crowd that the features we would see in the video were just experiments. Would they be released as future downloadable content for Skyrim? “I don’t know,” he said, again being cautious but voluntarily introducing the possibility that players of the RPG might see these features in the game for real at some point.

Here is some of what was listed in the extensive video reel:

Seasonal Foliage
Flow-based water shader
Spears
Kill Cams for Magic and Ranged Combat
Stealth Enhancements
Guards can relight darkened areas
Paralysis runes
Dungeon enhancements : handing structures and moving platforms
Water currents in dungeons
Dark dungeons
New commands for followers: Combat style, etc.
Set favorite equipment settings for followers
Adopt a child
Build your own home
…with a skeleton butler
Spell combinations: Use flame and raise zombie to create a fire zombie
Goblins
High-level Draugrs
“Waygates” for fast travel
Epic mounts (flaming death horse)
Mounted combat
Dragon mounts
“Soul bug” familiar
Kinect voice-activated shouts
Screen space ambient occlusion
Enhanced underwater visuals
Snow surface
Fat giants
Ice and Fire arrows
Werebear
Lycanthropy skill tree
Vampire Feeding
Become a flying vampire lord
Vampire Imp Minions
Mudcrab animation tweaks
Giant mudcrab enemy

Amazing stuff if it were implemented in some way!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #308 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
I came here to post that. some of that stuff would be great.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #309 on: Friday, February 10, 2012, 02:20:27 AM »
Yeah, I hope as many of those things get added to the game at some point.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: DICE: Bethesda "Game Jam"
« Reply #311 on: Friday, February 10, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
DICE: Bethesda ‘Game Jam’ Brainstorms a Bevy of New Skyrim Features

Amazing stuff if it were implemented in some way!

There ya go - a lot of that can or should be in the next DLC's or expansions.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #312 on: Friday, February 10, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
Top 10 hilarious physics fails in Skyrim.

Wow the guy who wrote that is such a moron. I read the last one which wasn't so bad, and then skipped to the first, and it was so dumb to read. Facepalm over that? Why? Idiot.

Then I went to a link called 5 difficult games or something, and the Demon's Souls thing is complete exaggeration. I wonder if the guy owns the site, which is how he is writing for it.

OK sorry, I am done bitchin'.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #313 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 02:28:45 AM »
I didn't read the text, just watched the vids and some of them gave me a chuckle.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #314 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
Yea I was being a bitch.

I love Skyrim though. Love it to bits.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
Got a chance to play with the High Resolution Texture Pack (HRTP) activated and there is a noticeable difference in the visual quality overall but the most notable is in the NPC clothes. Finally they no longer look like a lo-res console port.

I've added a few mods that enhance Skyrim's appearance all-round:
Realistic Lighting Mod
Real Water Textures
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Realistic Sun Flare
Realistic Smoke and Embers

I can appreciate the Steam Workshop's effort to unify a mod location and download centre but it still seems to be buggy and modders are still getting the hang of using it and the Creation Kit. For the time-being (and perhaps indefinitely), Skyrim Nexus' "Nexus Mod Manager" does a great job of managing mods and downloading them and letting you know what the current versions are.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #316 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »
&feature=g-vrec&context=G2dda80eRVAAAAAAAAAg

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, March 03, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
I'm about 37 hours and 3 hard crashes into this now.  (Gotta love/hate Bethesda.)  Someone said it felt like Oblivion 1.5, and I guess that's not too far from the truth.  I can see how much they've improved the look and even the combat, but it feels like they've done more polishing than reinventing.  Some things are a step backward.  The menu system is confusing as hell at first, and even after getting used to it, I miss the Oblivion interface.  Containers are no longer organized.  If you use one chest to store all your stuff, sifting through it is a painful process.  It isn't even fully alphabetized.  God knows what rules the listing follows, if any. 

Worst of all, you can't cast a spell unless you have a free hand to do it with.  Why anyone would think this is an improvement is beyond me.  They tried to minimize the problem with a system of favorites you can scroll through, but it's still an awkward mess.  Me conjuring a flame atronach in preparation for a fight goes like this: bring up the favorites list, scroll several entries to that spell, select it, press L to bring up my hands, press L again to cast, bring up favorites list again, scroll to the steel warhammer, select it, and watch the slow animation of the warhammer coming up in my hands.  If whatever enemy prompted me to go through all this hasn't whacked me at least once by this point, it means I detected him way early.  Yay for my alertness.

I've run into a couple of interesting bugs already, besides the crashing (which so far involve only the outdoors, with 2 of the 3 instances being caused by loading of an outdoor destination).  One was the head and neck of a dragon looking for all the world like a snake coming out of the ground.  It was moving somewhat while opening and shutting its mouth.  It was actually supposed to be the remains of a dragon I had already killed.  I could even go up to it and search it for loot.  The other bug was more perplexing.  I was whittling a mammoth's health down from a high perch with arrows and my flame atronach, when suddenly I absorbed the soul of a dragon.  Don't know where it came from.  I suppose a dragon got killed nearby somehow.  But shortly after I finished off the mammoth, I encountered a dragon.  Killed him, got that soul as well.  And the quest for killing a dragon at a location nearby was still active.

Regardless of such issues, the game is extremely engrossing.  Interactions with NPCs have taken a step up.  The look of everything is outstanding.  Performance is consistently good, better than Oblivion's (when the code is behaving itself).  The fighting mechanics are definitely better (ignoring the crippled spellcasting).  I don't miss weapon and armor damage in the slightest.  Good riddance.  I still have a lot to figure out with the skill trees, or is it constellations?  A lot of promising variety of perks there.  Smithing seems like a great addition.  I've done a bit of that, and hope to do a lot more.  I plan on ignoring alchemy here as much as I did in Oblivion, though.  Oh, and the 3rd-person view is actually decent this time around.  Well done.  The missions have been great so far.  I'm slowly getting into the shouts.  I'm trying to force myself to use them more often.

Much more to learn ahead, hopefully all good.  Buggy or not, I've jumped into this with both feet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #319 on: Saturday, March 03, 2012, 08:56:44 PM »
The dead dragon thing just sounds like a physics/clipping issue. Dragon skeleton clips into the ground and acts weird. The other one doesn't sound like a bug... there are random dragons that aren't related to quests or anything else, and they often attack towns and such. They aren't generally that powerful. Guards will take them out given some time, and if you're nearby when they do, you'll still get the soul.

I assume you're playing 360? My experience on PS3 I think was 2 minor bugs and 2 crashes in 120+ hours, though think I've said that here already. I was impressed.

I hated Oblivion's menu system, but don't remember how it was on console. I like Skyrim's, though. And it's funny, you say that chests aren't organized by types... and I honestly can't remember. My instinct was to say, "Wait, it isn't like that," but the more I thought about it the more I thought you were right. I guess it just didn't bug me. And I'm pretty sure stuff alphabetizes right, I don't remember ever struggling to find anything.

How did the spellcasting work in Oblivion? I can't seem to recall. You could cast without having an open hand? Regardless, I don't see the problem. It seems balanced just fine to me. You want to be a warrior, be a warrior. You want to do both, don't go with giant-ass two-handed weapons. If you're able to do everything at once, you never have to choose and it sort of removes some of the uniqueness of whatever character you're playing. I'm a bit sad that you can basically do every quest in the game without having to specialize, even. It would be nice if you had to choose a little bit more. To be drafted into the fancy mage academy they ask you to prove you can cast something, but you don't have to know hardly a fucking thing. One weak spell, whoopee. It sort of cheapens things a tad. One of my only complaints, honestly, and not because it's outright bad... it just cheapens what might feel a bit more special in other circumstances. I didn't feel like a great mage because even though I was focusing on magic, the magic I needed to know was practically nothing. I subsequently started focusing on stealth stuff I think because of that.

I really don't get the Oblivion 1.5 feeling at all, though. They fixed so much and streamlined so much, improved so much of the character interaction... feels like a legit sequel to me. I guess part of that is I don't really think they SHOULD change the formula too much. They can tweak, but the open world, general progression, and great combat are more or less what people want now, I think. Wouldn't mind seeing them deepen some elements, but on the whole I was thrilled with what we got.