Author Topic: Gerstmann fired?  (Read 17919 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Gerstmann fired?
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, January 12, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »
Navarro's leaving....wow....
Yeah, this has just been one reviewer leaving after another, since Jeff G got tossed.

G-Spot will basically have to completely rebuild now from pretty much close to scratch....
Yeah, Good luck w/ that one.....  :o

Who's left?
Jason Ocampo???

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, January 12, 2008, 07:52:50 PM »
People keep saying that Ryan Davis is the last good guy, and is next to leave, but he always annoyed the fuck out of me.  He's like a tiny midget trapped in a fat guy's body.  You just sort of want to step on him.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, January 12, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
I kind of liked Ricardo Torres as well. It seems like he's had more of a behind the scenes job for the past year or so, but he was fun whenever he came out of the woodwork.

Everyone has pretty much bleed out much of its frontline talent though. I doubt at this point it can really hurt them that much more, but it'll definitely never be the same site again.

With all these people leaving, you have to wonder if they're going to pull what a bunch of people do in the actual game development world and start their own project. They've got the talent and I'm sure personal connections with a lot of the right people.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, January 12, 2008, 11:02:49 PM »
Yeah, Good luck w/ that one.....  Shocked

Totally because these guys do something that 80% of the population can not and will not do.  Oh wait, that was a total lie.  There's people who do the same thing they do for free as a hobby and do it just as well (taking into account the lack of time and funding).  All these guys have is vague name recognition.  You should probably get a resume ready Que, because it looks like GS is hiring.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #124 on: Sunday, January 13, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »
With all these people leaving, you have to wonder if they're going to pull what a bunch of people do in the actual game development world and start their own project. They've got the talent and I'm sure personal connections with a lot of the right people.
Does it matter though?  It's inevitable that they will sell out and the same thing would happen all over again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, January 13, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »
haha

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #126 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
Another long-time staff member of GameSpot leaves.
Almost 8 years w/ GameSpot, Ryan Davis decides to go.

Check it out

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #127 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
I always thought he was kind of a dork, but whatever.  Everyone predicted he'd be leaving... guess they were right.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 05:19:32 AM »
It appears Jeff Gerstmann is busy on a site called Giant Bomb. Interesting.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 10:16:37 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, March 09, 2008, 01:37:28 AM »
K-MaN beat you:  http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=3733.msg47950#msg47950
Indeed he has.

It is a unique site though. Sure it looks petite right now but it looks like it has the potential to grow.

Of course my loyalty will always go to proslouch/player1start or whatever Pug chooses :D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, April 05, 2008, 06:24:07 AM »
The guy who fired Gertsmann has been fired by CNET

GameSpot WeaselDick Fired
Apr 04, 2008 at 6:56 PM - Robert "Apache" Howarth - 4 Comments
I guess it's safe to read GameSpot again as the dude who fired Jeff Gerstmann has been let go by CNET.

We contacted GameSpot Editor in Chief Ricardo Torres to verify the news this morning.

Torres confirmed that Larson's last day would be April 9, but declined to comment much further on the restructuring, citing the "internal" nature of the news.

It was clear that, at the time, Larson's capabilities as editorial lead weren't well regarded by some of the GameSpot staff. The anonymous "gamespot" commented at sister site Valleywag that Larson was "a suit [...] who had no editorial experience and was only involved on the business side of things." The anonymous commenter lamented that the presence of the sales team had become much more visible under Larson's watch, with other contributors going on and off record with less than favorable comments of CNET management.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #132 on: Saturday, April 05, 2008, 03:18:41 PM »
Well thats good news, but the damage has already been done. I pretty much check up on Giantbomb.com everyday now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, April 06, 2008, 12:47:35 AM »
Yeah, that came too late.  I still check the site, but I let my subscription die, and most of the people I liked best are gone.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god