Author Topic: Overlord demo on Xbox Live (UPDATE: PC demo out now)  (Read 4120 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Overlord demo on Xbox Live (UPDATE: PC demo out now)
« on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »
Overlord being the Pikmin meets Dungeon Keeper type game from codemasters. Hopefully a PC demo surfaces, but if you've got a 360 you might want to check it out.

UPDATE

PC demo released.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 11, 2007, 10:03:25 AM by idolminds »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Overlord demo on Xbox Live
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »
Cool.  Thanks.  I will definitely try that one.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »
just played through it and it's good. it certainly has quite a bit of character, with the little minions doing random shit in fights and saying funny stuff. the gameplay does seem very similar to pikmin (although having never played pikmin, i'm judging from what little i've seen of the game), but yeah, i like it. my housemate thought it was excellent and has already said he's going to be picking it up on release.

it's not a particularly large demo, but it's well worth trying.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 05:43:31 PM »
This one looks cool, and Codemasters generally puts out good stuff I think.  I can't try the demo given that my 360 has no HDD, but I'll probably check it out when it releases.  Though maybe not... I always have a hard time playing the bad guy in games.  In real life, not so much, but I don't generally find little cartoony people offensive and hence do not want to kill them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline wizall

« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 08, 2007, 08:07:44 PM »
Well that was a lot of fun.  It's remarkably satisfying setting fire to a field with halfings in it or watching your minions ravage a pumpkin patch.  And the game is overflowing with character.  The controls are a little strange, considering the right stick doesn't rotate the camera, but instead directs your minions.  Also, the areas seem pretty constraining.  That is, you can't wander off the paths much at all.  But the whole feel is there, and that's what's important.  Can't wait to play further.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 11, 2007, 10:03:50 AM »
Bump for PC demo. 1GB...gah....

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Overlord demo on Xbox Live (UPDATE: PC demo out now)
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 28, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »
6.5 on Gamespot. It seems the major gripe is the camera controls.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 28, 2007, 07:18:36 PM »
I can't imagine that's the only gripe.  If so, GSpot has fallen farther than I'd thought.

EDIT - Also, it's 7.5, not 6.5.

EDIT x2 - Okay, upon reading it apparently the review now says the review copy they got wasn't the final version.  They re-checked stuff and apparently it was a bit cleaner in the final version and the camera controls weren't so nasty.  I guess that's why it got the extra point bump.  Still, the score seems low for what he talks about.  I'd say his biggest complaint is that you can't be quite evil enough, which is okay for me because I have trouble playing evil characters.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 07, 2007, 09:17:44 PM »
New post for the bump.

Well, I picked this game up, and it's completely awesome.  No, seriously.  It's really dark, but like a lot have mentioned... it isn't really that evil.  I mean, you basically just go around conquering stuff and saving peasants.  Then the peasants either like you as a hero if you're nice to them, or they hate you if you aren't.  The only "Overlord"ish stuff is the fact that you have this huge tower of doom full of your little gremlin dudes, you command an army of said little gremlin dudes (and not only use them as troops, but like currency and resources at times), and all your enemies are twisted versions of normally "good" things from fantasy (halflings, unicorns, etc.).  So I can see what people mean when they say there's a sort of weird lack of evil.  It would be more evil if these guys all seemed really great and noble, but most of them are all fucked up and stuff.  Which is really a lot funnier in the end, I think, but it definitely makes you seem like less of an evil jerk.

Still, the gameplay is just awesome.  It's sort of an action/adventure type thing like Zelda on some levels, a bit of an RPG on some levels, and then a Pikmin type thing with a lot more focus on combat and destruction.  The controls aren't perfect, but they're pretty damned good on the PC.  I got used to them quick and haven't had a single problem after the first half hour.  It's great fun.  Anybody that thinks they might like this should definitely try it.  It's a quality title with tons of personality and quite a bit of charm.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 08, 2007, 06:15:35 AM »
Hmmmm, what was that other game where you could control an army of evil, basically?
Was that Evil Genius or something???

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 08, 2007, 07:16:26 AM »
Hmmmm, what was that other game where you could control an army of evil, basically?
Was that Evil Genius or something???

Evil Genius was pretty fun and wacky! It was set in a groovy 60's style a la Austin Powers and N.O.L.F.

The only other game I can compare it to is Dungeon Keeper (and Dungeon Keeper 2). When I took a look at Overlord I imagined it would be a mix between DK and Sacrifice.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 02:05:01 PM »
Patch 1.2 let loose for Overlord

25 MB download, y'all.

VERSION 1.2

* Version number reported on Title Screen.
    * Invert Y-axis Mouse option added in Game Options menu.
    * 30FPS cap has been removed. The game can now run at higher frame rates if your video card supports it.
    * Refresh rate is set by default to the lowest available within the Configuration Tool.
    * Potential desync in Multiplayer resolved. This could occur in Co-op Survival / Versus matches when Tower Objects were collected. Only affects games containing a machine with an Athlon 64 processor.
    * Minions can now cross the entire length of a bridge in the Ruborian Desert while carrying a health upgrade back to a Tower Gate.
    * Fixed an exploit which allowed players to forge/upgrade equipment without losing any minions.
    * Melvin will now never reappear in the Halfling Party Area after he has been killed. Existing Save Games affected by this issue will also be fixed.
    * The ‘Kill Kahn’ quest will now always show as completed when Khan is defeated. Existing Save Games affected by this issue will also be fixed.
    * A number of additional minor / rare issues resolved
    * All 1.1 fixes

VERSION 1.1:

* Spokes will always be retrievable and usable in Dwarven Brewery. Existing Save Games affected by this issue will also be fixed.
    * Updated the uninstall script to less aggressively delete files in the installation directory, thereby preventing potential & unintended loss of data.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday, August 06, 2007, 12:49:47 PM »
Got the game for the 360 a couple of days ago.  I played it for quite a long time yesterday.  The hours evaporated, which only happens when I really get into a game.  After getting used to the controls, which took a good while, it became very enjoyable.  Camera control on the 360 consists of pressing one of the triggers briefly after you face the direction you want the camera to go.  You can also click the right stick inward and toggle to a more overhead perspective.  Also, as you move the horde of minions with the right stick, the camera tends to keep you in the foreground and them in the background.  It takes practice, but it works.  Holding RB allows you to use one of the colored face buttons to select the same-colored minions, and pressing RB briefly selects all the minions.  You can use Y to plant a flag whever your selected minions are, and they'll hug it closely until you recall them.

Generaling exploration and mayhem are the strengths of this game.  I love running around killing sheep and breaking into places.  A lot of the fighting is also great fun, in particular against big numbers of halflings.  Boss fights, on the other hand, can be a real drag.  The nature of the game is too chaotic to bring about the results that you want reliably.  Also, as with most 360 games, saving and loading seem to be out of your hands.  So if I lose a shit-ton of minions in an abortive boss fight, I have no choice but to waste a lot of time rebuilding their numbers in various places.  I haven't tried just powering off the console, though.  I might do that where I'm stuck right now, next time I try to bring down this odd critter that keeps spawning knight-looking baddies and exploding bugs who are decimating my guys, especially the reds.

I love all the varied areas in the game so far.  Finding ways to get around, and using your minions to do it without killing themselves, is the real meat here.  It is Pikmin-inspired, undoubtedly.  I'll wait till I play it again in earnest before deciding whether it was a good buy overall.  This current boss-fight frustration has soured what was all good to begin with, and I'm hoping it's just a short stumbling block.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, August 06, 2007, 06:11:49 PM »
For what it's worth, I didn't have even the slightest trouble with any of the bosses, and the further you get in the game, the easier it is to rebuild huge numbers of the different colored guys.  You'll eventually find sweet spots for all of them where you can go and rack them up pretty quickly, so that becomes less of an issue... I think mostly because it's always fun to just go in and slaughter huge quantities of whatever it is you need to slaughter to get more guys, heh.

Oh, and I think now I'm remembering what fight you're on.  Is it that big eyeball thing in the castle?  If you're looking for a hint:
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, I don't think you'll have too much trouble after that.  I was a little perplexed by a couple fights with these big mini-boss things that I just couldn't figure out how the game wanted me to kill, but I managed to win those fights even without doing it "properly".  Just ended up doing the best I could and then going all out with my spells as I hacked away for the last-ditch effort.  But really, I didn't have much problem.  I don't think you'll run into much trouble once you get past this guy.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 07, 2007, 01:35:20 AM »
I got him right away today.  Red guys on a single marker, but not where the game was telling me to put them.  Then I protected the reds by hacking away at the spawning guys while surrounded by my browns, until it was all over.  You're right.  No fight is too difficult so far, and seldom do I bother with all the finesse the game wants me to use in different places.  Like those water birds.  Screw all the egg nonsense.  I just swarm one bird with like 20 blues, then recall them immediately, before any gets pecked.  That always does decent damage, and the minions are 100% healthy, it seems, unless they get killed.  Rinse and repeat, since the bad guys don't regain health (unless someone is reviving them).

This thing is huge.  There is so much to see and so much ground to cover.  The only real frustration now is the lack of an in-game map or compass.  I have a lousy sense of direction, and I get lost all the time.  But I'm very pleased overall.  Good effort from these guys.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 09, 2007, 05:59:49 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 10, 2007, 01:38:15 PM »
Hahaha!  Cute, but deadly.

I think I'm getting near the end of the game now.  I've completed all quests except killing this wizard guy, who I assume is the final boss.  Most of the game has been terrific, with the odd frustration and stupidity thrown in just to annoy me.  It's also long, way longer than I thought it was going to be initially.  I even put off buying it, thinking it was a little game, don't know why now.  Gamespot is wrong about linearity.  Once you have all the minions, nothing forces you to do the quest paths in any order.  You can even drop one pursuit and go after another.

(click to show/hide)

I'm really happy with the freedom of action and the openness.  While you get constant suggestions from your main minion, whose name I forget, very often you can figure out your own ways of dealing with obstacles.  Even at this late stage of the game I find green minions of little use.  I've never been big on stealth, and I prefer to simply pour on the browns whenever I can get away with it.  Speaking of browns, I love how they bash everything and pick up the best equipment they run across.  Right now the top 35 are almost up to 400% in armor & weaponry.  That's made me a lot more protective of them.  I always bring at least 5 blues along to, er, do their thing, and I can deal with losing a couple of fighters; but I will not allow for the game to wipe out the entire horde in a single mistake.

(click to show/hide)

While chiefly inspired by Pikmin, there are touches of Fable in here as well.  The game looks like it was set in the Fable universe, and it allows you to do good or evil as you go along.  I'm not sure if this is more than window dressing, though.  I've been doing mostly good this time.  I always replay games which absorb me, so I'll try out a full evil path next time, and see if it makes a substantive difference. 

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, November 01, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »
Overload to get DLC Content for X360 to purchase soon.

But, listen to this -- PC gamers will actually get the DLC content for FREE in the New Year (2008).

Raise Hell With Overlord DLC
Nov 01, 2007 at 7:34 AM - Andrew Burnes - 13 Comments

PC users will get the bonus content for free in the New Year:

Unleashing the wondrously evil Overlord and his army of lethal minions for a fresh round of malicious mayhem, Codemasters today announced the forthcoming release of three downloadable content packs for Overlord, the summer’s hit action adventure from Triumph Studios.

The all-new content will be available this November from Xbox LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and comprise of one free and two premium download packs.

The premium downloadable content is led by Overlord: Raising Hell, an expansion pack that adds all-new single-player levels to the original game. An additional premium pack, the Overlord: Challenge Pack will deliver a set of all-new online multiplayer maps. Microsoft Points pricing for the two premium content packs will be confirmed at launch. A further downloadable content update will also be available free of charge. This will add split-screen play to all the original game’s multiplayer maps and introduce an all-new multiplayer Survival map.

Premium and Free Downloadable Content Details:

OVERLORD: RAISING HELL - Premium Downloadable content
    Prepare to go deeper into the Overlord’s twisted world as this single-player expansion pack opens a series of hellish new levels. Complete with new enemies and objectives, each new level is a supernatural abyss – a hell for each of the game’s five kingdoms: Mellow Hills, Evernight, Heaven’s Peak, the Golden Halls and the Ruborian Desert.

Access to each abyss is via a portal, which opens once a kingdom has been successfully conquered and the previous ruler banished to a personal hell within. However it’s not just the fallen heroes that have been dragged into the abyss: the Overlord’s newly loyal peasants have also been taken down into hell too.

With the undead denizens of each abyss on the attack and threatening the Overlord’s reign above ground, there’s only one thing for it: assemble your minion army, descend into each abyss and embark on a fresh wave of tyranny in order to return the serfs to their homelands, defeat the fallen heroes once and for all, and claim the throne of each kingdom’s underworld.

OVERLORD: CHALLENGE PACK - Premium Downloadable content.
    This additional premium download content pack is ideal for Overlords who really have something to prove. There’s pillaging fun with seven new online multiplayer maps, including the competitive ‘Capture the Maiden’ map and ‘Protect Your Power’, where players must defend the Overlord’s tower against waves of enemy attack.

Putting minions through their toughest workout, the Challenge pack also introduces a “Legendary” difficulty mode, which challenges players to achieve Legendary status by using their most aggressive minion managing skills to complete the game under exceptional bad-ass circumstances.

OVERLORD: SPLIT-SCREEN MULTIPLAYER PACK - Free Downloadable Content.
    The free update will be available alongside the premium packs and will enable players to go head to head in an all-new split screen multiplayer mode. In addition to providing split screen play on all of the game’s original multiplayer maps, the update will also introduce a new multiplayer map, Rocky Race, which sees a pair of Overlords working cooperatively to survive the onslaught of an arch rock giant on the rampage.

All three content packs are set to be available this November from Xbox LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360, with Microsoft Point pricing to be announced. All three packs require players to have a full copy of Overlord for Xbox 360 in order to experience the additional content.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, November 01, 2007, 05:32:34 PM »
I'll totally give this a reinstall for free new stuff.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, November 01, 2007, 05:53:45 PM »
I'll totally give this a reinstall for free new stuff.

I knew Que would like this news! :)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 01, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
I'd have to pay, but I love this game.  The only pack I'd care about is the extra SP levels.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 05:11:51 PM »
Did they ever release the 360 DLC?  The last bit of news on this at codemasters.com is dated Nov 1.  I'll need to check on the 360 next time I get on.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 10:50:42 PM »
I'm confused.  What's the "Raising Hell" boxset it talks about?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 10:59:42 PM »
I guess this.

But I havent heard about the PC version being out yet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, December 06, 2007, 11:10:41 PM »
GSpot has an area for the Raising Hell thing, actually. There's a forum for it and stuff, and apparently it came out November 17th in Europe.  I wonder why the US gets no love?  Hopefully it will soon.  I'd love to have an excuse to install the game again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
Overlord is heading to the PS3.
It'll have Overlord original game...
Oh, plus all the DLC Content so far (The Challenge Pack and Raising Hell content), as well.

Overlord PS3 Imminent
[Ure "Vader" Paul]
05:27 pm EST @ February 25th, 2008
Filed under: OVERLORD, CODEMASTERS

Here's a game that deserves your attention. We played it last summer and we liked it. The imaginative action adventure marks one of the most successful franchises Codemasters dished out last year. Triumph Studios' game landed on both PC and Xbox 360 platforms to largely positive reviews. It seems that Codemasters are now geared up and almost ready to launch the game on Sony's PS3 console.

CVG can confirm that the Overlord series, a Pikmin-influenced management adventure previously only on 360 and PC, will be making its debut on PS3 this summer with Overlord: Raising Hell.

Raising Hell will feature the full Overlord game that released on 360 last year, as well as all of the download content that has been released to date, all on one Blu-ray disc.

It's a shame the PS3 didn't have titles like these a lot sooner. Maybe I would've bought it instead of the 360 I own right now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 04:53:31 PM »
As I posted before, somewhere, the Raising Hell DLC finally came out for the 360.  I have yet to get it.  Burnout Paradise has been permanently embedded in the console for the past month.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 07:38:33 PM »
And all the PC users thank Codemasters for completely ignoring us.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 09:57:19 PM »
And all the PC users thank Codemasters for completely ignoring us.

Oh, Raising Hell / Challenge Pack (combo pack) are available for PC users...
...For some $$$$ and only online to buy-to-download, right now. :(

I'm wondering if it'll ever be put on disc...I hope so...

It's around 1.2 GB, BTW.

GamesPlanet.com UK has it

So does GameShadow

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 01:11:17 AM »
Huh, I didn't realize it was out.  Last I checked there was jack and shit for information on it.  Sucks you have to just download it, though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
Huh, I didn't realize it was out.  Last I checked there was jack and shit for information on it.
Yeah, Codemasters should've done a better job in getting it out in the USA -- even if it's only online for sale.
I mean, you can only download it from Gameshadow (USA) and GamesPlanet (UK).

You'd figure Codemasters or Triumph would sell it directly for download from their own respective sites, too.

Sucks you have to just download it, though.
Agreed.

I'd rather it be put on disc and sold as an expansion pack, myself.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 06:59:27 PM »
So, this is $9.99 on STEAM right now.  Yay, nay?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »
What, our earlier commentary wasn't good enough?

But yeah, while this isn't the best game ever or anything, for ten bucks it's a crapload of quality entertainment.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 06:14:55 AM »
$10 -- that's what I paid for the retail box version, some time back. I never finished it and did play it for a bit. It's a really fun game. Controlling and watching the minions go crazy is a heck of a lot of fun.

It's also a very funny game with its sense of humor, too.

Yeah, worth $10. No doubt.