Author Topic: Red Steel (Only on Nintendo Wii)  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Red Steel (Only on Nintendo Wii)
« on: Friday, November 17, 2006, 08:13:19 AM »
Here's a game that has me really excited about the Wii!

Red Steel

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Red Steel (Only on Nintendo Wii)
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 17, 2006, 08:19:55 AM »
I've watched a big long video on it... I'm iffy on that one.  Could be cool or could be lame.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 01:32:10 AM »

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 09:31:16 AM »
Apparently you were being iffy for good reason. Ouch.

I know a lot of you have this high level of trust with GS, but they really drop the ball on their Wii reviews. They seem to be stuck on the lack of online and graphics, which have been brought up way before the games were released. GS is getting a lot of nasty backlash and its all well deserved.

Go check out some other reviews of the game, most seem to love it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 10:21:02 AM »
From what I've seen so far, I'm inclined to agree with nickclone.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 01:45:49 PM »
I'm not so sure.  Honestly, every video I've watched of this one (and that's probably a good 5 or 6 lengthy ones) have all looked absolutely awful.  I haven't been in the least bit interested in the game simply because everything I've seen on it looks really bad.  I mean, the graphics are iffy, sure, but the gameplay just doesn't look fun at all to me.  It doesn't really have to do with the controls.  I'm pretty excited about what Metroid Prime 3 is going to be doing and stuff... I think this game just looks like a big pile of not-fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 01:58:50 PM »
I agree with Que that Red Steel doesnt look that great. And I also agree with nick that GS seems to be extra harsh on the graphics...like they are expecting X360 level visuals even though we've known for ages they won't be. Kind of like lowering the score on Animal Crossing DS because they think it would look better on PSP.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 02:34:57 PM »
I've followed this game very closely for a very long time. I've seen all the screenshots, read all the previews and seen hours of gameplay footage over and over again. When people at E3 complained about the graphics, controls and the swordplay, Ubisoft fixed all the problems and everyone seemed extremely happy. After reading Jeff's review, I'm not even sure if this guy is playing the same game as everyone else.

I took me forever to read the review, I was just so disgusted by it. I felt like I was being lied to or the truth was being spun around to make me NOT want this game for some reason. Anyways, I think I'm done with GS or I'll atleast take everything with the same grain of salt that I take IGN.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 02:56:53 PM »
Nickclone speaks with some wisdom, but I think that having a highly documented weakness doesn't make it any less of a weakness. Having said that, I think while points can be docked for the lack of online support and poor graphics, I don't think it should be to such a degree. Weaknesses are much more disturbing when they are unexpected.

Anyway having read the review, I can't fault the reviewer too much. Sure he complained about the graphics, but he complained about the gameplay, and that is a fair reason to dock major points.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 03:20:12 PM »
Anyway having read the review, I can't fault the reviewer too much. Sure he complained about the graphics, but he complained about the gameplay, and that is a fair reason to dock major points.

This is what I was afraid of, people aren't going to want this game now after reading this one wrong review. I don't think its fair to give this game a low scores for graphics, its one of the best looking games on the Wii. Besides, you wouldn't shave points from a DS game because he doesn't look as good as a PSP game would you? It just doesn't make sense.

Points are also being taken away for things not being there when they shouldn't have to be there. Taking off points for shitty online play is one thing, but taking off points because its not there is stupid. Not only is it not the game's fault, but it shouldn't matter. Does this mean all games without online play get docked points? GS is being very biased and inconsistent.

I haven't played the game, but from just looking at all the videos I've seen I know he's wrong about many things. He's wrong about the glitches, enemy A.I., gameplay and he doesn't even talk about the controls. He starts the review off on a negative foot, he speeds through with pessimism and he finishes with a complete murder of the truth.

The part I thought was really dumb is where he says he should be able to pull out a gun and just shoot the enemies while in swordplay mode. Wouldn't that ruin the whole point of swordplay?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 03:30:29 PM »
haha yea I think sometimes too much logic is applied by reviewers in games, while not enough is applied by developers. But yea, I feel that while illogical plot devices suck, they should be ignored if the pay off is great.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »
You haven't played the game but you *know* he's wrong because you've watched videos?  I'm gonna' have to call bullshit on that one.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 06:01:09 PM »
I'm with que, as far as I know none of us have played the game, how are we qualified to judge the review score?

I do think (perhaps unfairly?) that since this is a Wii launch title the game is reviewed based on the reviewers impression of the system as much as it is on the game itself (hence the complaining about graphics and lack of online play), something that is unavoidable, especially given the quirks of the Wii as a whole.  I'm personally not all that interested in the Wii.  I have no interest in floundering around my living room like a jackass, and as suspected the controls are more simplistic and gimicky than revolutionary.  There certainly is the chance that a year or two of dedicated development will change all that, but after reading the zelda review, the Red steel review, and the review of the sports sampler disc the controler seems like a bit of a flop.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 06:03:15 PM »
I still think there's potential there and I am by no means writing the Wii off.  I'm still pretty excited about the possibilities it presents, and I still very much hope that it manages to live up to that sense of potential.  However, that doesn't mean Red Steel looks like it's any fun.  Because it doesn't.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 08:35:22 PM »
You haven't played the game but you *know* he's wrong because you've watched videos?  I'm gonna' have to call bullshit on that one.

I know he's lying from watching the videos, he's over exaggerating and he's nitpicking. His review is one of the worst I've read from a major site in a long time, this goes for a lot of other people as well. The things he takes points off for are stupid. I might as well become a car critic and dump on cars that don't fly, go underwater or don't talk back to me in Mr. Feeny's voice.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »
I've followed this game a bit and wasn't too sure about it.  I still am undecided about what to think of this game.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 10:11:20 PM »
Watch this review, its more accurate and it has a nifty video along with it.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #17 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 11:40:47 AM »
I gotta say, nick seems right about this.  The gametrailers review actually makes this game seem like something I'd want to play.  They point out what they don't like about it, but they also say how it can be fun sometimes, which some of the gunfights look like they can be.  The gamespot review shows only bad footage of the game.  One clip of a guy stuck to a wall and another clip of presumably the reviewer flailing the gun around, which looks extremely exaggerated when you watch the other review, where the guy can easily control his movement.  I really didn't think the graphics looked that bad either in some places.

I mean, I'm sure the game isn't amazing, but I don't think gspot gave it a fair shake.  I don't think they gave any of the Wii games a fair shake.  Of course, I haven't played Wii yet, but from what it looks like it seems to be true.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #18 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 09:54:33 PM »
6.0 from IGN.