Author Topic: Did Console Gaming Ruin DLC?  (Read 580 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Did Console Gaming Ruin DLC?
« on: Sunday, August 16, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »
Here's an article questioning whether console gaming ruined DLC.

Quote from: Daniel Sims - News Editor, Kombo.com / 1up blogger
All of the map packs so far released for the Call of Duty games have been $10 each to download on consoles through closed networks while PC gamers could download those same packs for free off of fileshack or somewhere.  Valve's own Team Fortress 2 has received a significant amount of DLC that's been completely free on the PC.  Xbox owners of the same game however have only received maybe half of that content and have had to pay for it in $5 packs.
Also worth noting -- next Call of Duty: World At War - Map Pack #3 will be included w/ the next PC patch for free.

Same goes for all the FEAR 2: Project Origin DLC, as well -- PC version has been getting them for free, in a patch.

Unfortunately, in some instances -- see TR: Underworld, PoP (2008 Reboot) & Saints Row 2 -- the PC version had unfortunately gotten the shaft, not getting any DLC period; while the console versions got the DLC.

The reason PC gamers are mad at Valve about Left 4 Dead 2 is because from their point of view, what that game offers looks like what you would get in a $30 expansion pack.
Bingo! :)

What we really need to see more of in terms of DLC on consoles is stuff like the "Lost and Damned" and "Ballad of Gay Tony" packs for Grand Theft Auto IV.  Instead of quickly throwing away this giant game world that they invested so much money into, Rockstar has decided to offer gamers more stories and more significant content within it.  Do you really think there's going to be a full-fledged "Grand Theft Auto V" during this generation?  Imagine if that kind of extension was applied to a game like Final Fantasy XIII - which Square Enix intends to turn into a decade-long franchise.
I agree 100% with this. I'm not a big fan of DLC that gets over-priced, barely adding anything significant to the game -- such as say new clothes outfits, small map-packs, very few new in-game items, and often insignificant stuff. I think more DLC needs to be more akin to what PC expansion packs we bought in the stores for $20-30 upon their release.

While I'm at it, I'd really like to see GTA4's DLC -- The Lost and Damned DLC and Ballad of Gay Tony DLC -- which will be offered up on consoles as something you can buy even on disc eventually -- get the same treatment on the PC; someday soon, hopefully.

Quote from: Adelle - Writer, Podcaster, Community Manager / Gametopius.com
When DLC began it was in the form of expansion packs and getting these involved going down to the store and picking up the box. Expansion packs were generally pricey but also contained a large amount of content. These days DLC can range anywhere from a full adventure (Oblivion Shivering Isles, Fallout 3) to nothing more then new clothes or armor for your character.
I'm not a big fan of DLC. I feel that most of the content up for purchase via DLC is in no way worth the money. Also many developers use the option of DLC to repair bugs. Gone are the days of extensive testing before a game hits store shelves. Now if a game has a glitch there is always the option of update packs to fix whatever problem was overlooked before.
I miss the days of true expansion packs. Of getting almost a whole new game added onto one of your favorites. Now we are lucky if we get little more then a new outfit.
That's what I really liked about expansion packs -- often, they felt like they offered up a good deal of new content on a much-more tweaked-up version of the same engine. Often, these expansion packs felt necessary to owners of the original game. RPG's were, I think, the best at offering up expansion packs -- adding often at least 10-20 hours worth of new content. Often, they added so much content, that it felt like a sequel -- see the NWN Expansions (SOU and HOTU); NWN2 Expansions (MOTB and SOZ); Elder Scrolls 3 expansions (Tribunal and Bloodmoon); ES4 expansions (KOTN and Shivering Isles); and especially Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal expansion.

Even expansions like IWD: Heart of Winter, which many felt didn't offer up enough content in the expansion pack box itself -- the company released a Patch later with a whole new chapter of in-game content, to try to make up for the lack of content in that $30 box. I wish more companies would do something of that nature -- Valve, after L4D, I'm looking directly at you here.