Author Topic: A Day With Que  (Read 5437 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
A Day With Que
« on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 11:55:28 AM »
Took my camera to work because there were some funny things I wanted to take pictures of.  Ended up snapping photos of where I work.  I bitch about why I hate it often enough, figured someone might want to see the dismalness for themselves.  Plus, it's fun to post photos.  I love when idol and other folks post them.  So fun to see into people's lives.  So mine is probably not very interesting, but here's a day with Que (or at least half of one) nonetheless.

This is where I start every morning of my life - at the subway.  This is BART, or the Bay Area Rapid Transit system.  It sucks upon foul things.

It is full of people.  Stupid, smelly people that like to rub up against you or spill coffee on you while you aren't looking.  They're filthy, which you can confirm just by looking at the fucking seats on any train.  I do my best to never, ever sit down.  You'd be wise to do the same.

Inside, they don't want you to lean on doors.  But they don't seem to have a problem with people leaning on you for money.  The beggars haven't been as bad of late, though, so I guess that's a good thing.

The subway is a very dismal place once you get underground.  I don't really mind that part, though.  I kind of like it.  The stations themselves have never been my least favorite part.  It's mostly the trains and the people.

Eventually, you'll see sunlight again, either if you stay on the train or get off.  Keep going, eventually you'll head underground again and go into the transbay tube which will take you beneath the bay to the city of San Francisco.  Why you'd want to go there is beyond me, but there you have it.  I don't go nearly as far - just a twenty minute trip from El Cerrito where I live to Oakland where I work.

This is the first thing you see once you head out via the stairway and do a 180.  The building immediately to my right is a Burger King, and this general area is as empty as you will ever see it (though that varies by morning).  You'll usually see 8-20 homeless/weirdos/druggies hanging out here.  I don't know what the fuck is wrong with them.  They congregate in front of Burger King and just sit by those newspaper stands, talking and smoking and being incredibly loud.  Most of them are black, but you get some white people in there too, and they tend to look weirder than the rest for some reason.  There's an old black lady who regularly deals drugs around there despite having to be close to 70, and there's an extremely well dressed black gentleman who always eats at the cafe just before the corner Burger King.  I guess he must be a pimp.  He wears flash suits, nice hats, nice shoes, and always has a cane, and he knows *everybody*.  You'll see fairly normal looking people talking to him, and you'll see the scummiest of the degenerates.  He talks to them all like they were the exact same person.  Unfortunately he was still in the cafe at this point and I wouldn't feel comfy taking pictures around this place toward evening.  I doubt anyone would actually hurt me or anything, but if anyone noticed I'm sure one of the nutjobs would take offense and start slobbering on himself while shouting.

The guy who used to run into Burger King and scream tourettes-style vulgarities is, at least, gone now.  Pretty sure he was arrested after the 5th or 6th incident.  He was completely, *completely* fucking nuts.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: A Day With Que
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 12:00:41 PM »

Round the corner from BK, and you'll be on 13th street.  This is the street where I work.  You'll pass the Oakland Tribune building, one of the few real landmarks around there other than the huge City Center and state buildings in the other direction.  They have a coffee shop now that charges yuppies more money than they should for a cup of joe, the price supposedly being justified because the coffee comes from Kenya or something.  Personally, I think it tastes like ass, and I love a cup of seriously black coffee.  This shit just tastes like syrup.  They make a mean cup of tea, though.

We're just up the street from a heavily Asian area.  There seem to be at least a few neat shops there, but I never go.  We have a bigger and better Asian center near where I live.  Sy and Aimee take Julia and I there sometimes to get bubble tea or check out the arbitrary stores.  I keep meaning to go to see if they have the Okami soundtrack.  Anyway, this is just past where I work.  Immediately to my left is the liquor store where I buy a lot of everything.  Too many cigarettes, sometimes the occasional bottle for use back home, and way too many Slim Jims.

Yeah.  I love the place, but it's more or less guaranteed to be the death of me.  Looking at it, you'd wonder how in the name of God someone could actually eat something that came out of it.

I've always wondered about Dr. Shabubu.  There are a lot of people on my blacklist, but somehow I don't think he's going to give me quite the bang for my buck that my revenge demands.

Down, down we go.  Where we stop... the basement.  But we aren't there yet.

No shit, Sherlock.

You're getting warmer...

Why yes, I am Que!  How nice of you to notice.  Fucking security system.  Who do they think is going to invade?  The worst incident we've ever had at our building is one time a homeless guy threw a milkshake at somebody.  Okay, that's not entirely true.  We've had guns, muggings, rapes, (none of our own people on the last, thankfully), and plenty of general harassment.  But not much of it has happened inside the building, and we have 2 deputies on staff.  They have guns.  This just seems like a waste of money to me, but whatever.

And here we are, the basement, where I spend more than 170 hours every month.  Ain't it grand?

Yeah, so this is what I "do."  I stuff paper products into other, slightly larger paper products.  I stack things.  I unstack things.  And I occasionally wander into the street and in the hopes I might get hit by a truck.

And here's a panoramic-ish thing of my desk.  Cubicle.  Whatever.  The fucking box where they stick me and occasionally throw money in order to keep me from leaving.  Pretty much all of the artwork is mine, and I pretty much only started drawing because of how unbelievably mind numbing my job is.  I've filled up most of the available space, which may be why I don't draw that much anymore.  I'm not sure.

Folding up post-it notes is, apparently, my new hobby.  I have a large pile of them on my desk.  I really don't know why.  It's a bit hard to get a sense of just how huge this pile actually is.

A view from the top.  You can see the Trib building from our roof.  It's somewhat pleasant up there, but I tend to work my way to whatever corners I can find to get away from everybody.  This is the place that makes me smoke too much because it gets me out of the fucking basement, and for some reason nobody complains when you do that while simultaneously killing yourself with cancer.  But try to step out just for a breath of fresh air, and prepare to be screamed at.

And so ends the day.  In the last hour, I generally go hide somewhere and wait it out, unless the boss has left early, in which case I spend time writing poetry and stuff for Overwritten.net.  You know, here.  Like that big Dead Rising review you see posted over in the suggestions forum, which was written entirely on work time.  Whoops.

So there you have it, a day in the life of Que.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 01:00:03 PM »
Awesome, I do recognize the transit station from when I was there, and I do remember the loud obnoxious homeless people. I've always been curious about where you work since it vexes you so much, but yea, cubicles cant be fun, I think some form of evil created them. I also noticed you hair has gotten long.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 01:27:15 PM »
It's nice to get to know you better man :)

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »
Cool project que. It may be fun for me to do the same one of these days.  I think I may get in trouble for taking pictures at work though. I'd have to be sneaky about it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 02:27:24 PM »
Being sneaky is half the fun!  I've taken some interesting photos are my job over the last while.  Unfortunately, the best ones got lost when the laptop died.  Like everything else.  Ugh.  Anyway, you should do it.  I'm always curious about you fascinating people.

And yeah Pyro, my hair has gotten quite a lot longer from when you were here.  It's a good 2 1/2 inches below my ears and maybe only 3 above my shoulders.  I just got sick of cutting it, and I actually kind of like it longer.  I have sunglasses holding it back on the last picture, otherwise it would be more obvious.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 09:40:12 PM »
Interesting post, and awesome drawing of Rakka!  I never saw that one before.  I went to the San Fransisco/Oakland area a couple of years ago and would like to go again sometime, perhaps to meet you, which would be cool, we could throw things at people and maybe take part in a killing or two.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 10:01:36 PM »
Haha, good eye, man, good eye.  I think that one is up at DA somewhere or other.  Not one of the better things to come out of my attempts at drawing anime-ish things.

Anyway, you know you're totally welcome to hang out if you get out here.  You already have friends in the area, right?  But yeah, any time you come out you can come hang and food + booze is on me.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 10:12:59 PM »
Haha, good eye, man, good eye.  I think that one is up at DA somewhere or other.  Not one of the better things to come out of my attempts at drawing anime-ish things.

Anyway, you know you're totally welcome to hang out if you get out here.  You already have friends in the area, right?  But yeah, any time you come out you can come hang and food + booze is on me.

I had friends out there but they decided to be stupid and stop talking to me about a year ago, but I would still like to go out there anyways.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 10:29:46 PM »
You also have me over here to feed you if you decide to show up.

Cool post, though. it's fun to see how more of your world comes fits in with what I've been able to see.

Cools

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 10:37:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing Quester! :)

Offline gpw12

• Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 10:43:50 PM »
wait....didn't you look different before?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 10:52:30 PM »
Pics? Nevermind.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, September 24, 2006, 11:10:17 PM »
That is one impressive pile of post-it notes. I don't have any other comments except that I too, like looking at pictures of peoples lives.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 12:05:29 AM »
wait....didn't you look different before?

I'm fatter and I have longer hair.  That's about it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 02:28:01 AM »
You look so different from what I had imagined. I imagined a tall skinny white dude with glasses. The only part I got right was the white part.

Also I wouldn't call you fat at all. You look like a Highlander.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 07:13:42 AM »
Wow, you pictured me as a total nerd?  Haha, I guess I had it coming.  But yeah... I'm fairly tall (about six feet), but no skinniness or glasses.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 10:16:15 AM »
You look so different from what I had imagined . . . The only part I got right was the white part.

Jeez, you're just a kid!  I keep forgetting that I'm like somebody's dad walking in on somebody's party around here.   :P  I pictured you as more studious looking or something.

Anyway, that's some photo journal.  Thanks for sharing.  I don't get too much of a sense of suckiness out of it, though.  Maybe you need pics of rats and ratty beggars, or something.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 12:31:48 PM »
Wow, you pictured me as a total nerd?  Haha, I guess I had it coming.  But yeah... I'm fairly tall (about six feet), but no skinniness or glasses.

haha I guess it is because Sirean joked about you being overweight, and I thought he was being sarcastic... as in you were really skinny.

But you are a cool looking dude. Xessive and I could go clubbing with you.

We'd take GPW but he'd whore to all the women... oh wait, that was before this whole Scottws infatuation.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 12:44:06 PM »
I don't think I joked about Que's weight too much... more about the fact that he can be a living vacuum without much effort. Rate of eating is not directly proportional to one's eating.

I, on the other hand, am skinny, white (dispite being half Mexican and having a somewhat dark father), and wear glasses. So, I guess that makes me a "total nerd."

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #20 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 01:31:29 PM »
I used to be really skinny for my height

6'3" ~160lbs, now I'm a lot more filled out, around an even 200.

I always pictured you being a lot older Que... maybe because I never truly knew your real age.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 01:33:56 PM »
I think I am one of the few who wasn't surprised by the picture of Que, he has posted a pic of himself on his DA profile if I'm not mistaken.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #22 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 04:13:18 PM »
I used to be really skinny for my height

6'3" ~160lbs, now I'm a lot more filled out, around an even 200.

I always pictured you being a lot older Que... maybe because I never truly knew your real age.

That very description goes for me as well, although I'm not quite 200 yet.  190 is a generous estimate - not super skinny, but not super jacked either.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Monday, September 25, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »
Heh.  I didn't expect my picture would spark that much conversation.  I posted one a long time ago on AOG, I think.

Anyway, yeah.  I'm like 6 feet, about 230-250 lbs. (haven't gotten weighed in ages, don't have a scale)  I'm 24, so probably middle of the road for most of us here.  The only reason anyone would think me studious is because I'm well read, I can write decently, and I love poetry.  To look at me, most wouldn't think so.  I'm large, I wear a lot of sleeveless t-shirts, and I have tattoos.  Now with the longer hair I look even worse.  I think most people would think me a biker before a poet and lover of classic literature.  I guess it just goes to show you how wrong it is to judge just by looking, easy as it is to do that in modern America.

Well, sorry to destroy everyone's fantasy that I'm actually cool and/or interesting, but better you know the truth now than be disappointed by it later.   :-[  I know I've seen a lot of you, but not nearly all.  I do often wonder how well my own internal picture of you compares to the real thing.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 05:39:22 AM »
one of the best threads to read so far.

be cool if each of us did this.  Mine would be the most boring i think.  Especially if I show you where i've been the last few days.
Taken.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 07:39:53 AM »
one of the best threads to read so far.

be cool if each of us did this.  Mine would be the most boring i think.  Especially if I show you where i've been the last few days.

I agree.  It'd be cool to see everyone else's day, just like it was cool to see yours, Que.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 06:47:38 AM »
Que, I dig those drawings you drew that are all over your cubicle.
Very good stuph, bro. :)