Author Topic: You are not a hardcore gamer.  (Read 2040 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
You are not a hardcore gamer.
« on: Monday, February 07, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
This guy is.

It started as a post:
hi

i payed for dead space 2 today. installed it and ran the game. went to settings, controls , to custom them, and guess what!!! theres no way to have the walk forward on a mouse button... it makes me so mad that game companys don't make they games fully custom controls....

if they can have the fire assigned to a mouse button, surely they could of assigned to a mouse button...

so now i can't play this game and i wasted £25..
Everyone started questioning him. Turns out he has a disability and can't play using his hands.

Let that sink in a moment.

He plays using his chin. That is some determination.

The devs responsible for the Dead Space 2 PC port have responded that they are going to add customizable controls in a patch because of this. There is a huge online petition for developers to add customizable controls to all future games. Really, it can't possibly hurt and can only help the end user.

But that dude....respect.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: You are not a hardcore gamer.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 08, 2011, 12:12:38 AM »
Wow, that guy is awesome and so is the dev team for responding to it.  This story reminds me of this kid that used to live near me when I was young that would play his Nintendo games even though he was blind.  There were some games he couldn't even get past the first level on, but he was pretty good at beat em up games and I remember playing one of the Ninja Turtle beat em up games with him and not really having to help him a whole lot.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 08, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »
I am overwhelmed by feelings of sadness and respect for this guy.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 08, 2011, 07:12:52 AM »
Dude! That guy is badass! I'm no just saying that! If I couldn't use my hands I think I might just quit but this dude stuck to it! Respect is certainly due.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 08, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »
I wonder how much frustration he powered through to get that good with his chin on a mouse and controller.  Props to him, and a nod to whoever helps him daily.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 08, 2011, 02:11:54 PM »
That's crazy.  I can't imagine that being all that fun, but it's still a cool story, and more power to him.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »
That guy is awesome.

Also, definitely related -

This guy references him, and is trying to get a petition going (and talk to devs) to draw awareness. Both are doing well so far, it seems. The fact that customizable controls aren't available is ridiculous, and the draw of disabled gamers only makes it more necessary.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
No doubt.  I hope this push gets some more weight behind it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 10, 2011, 07:23:13 PM »
About Gareth and Chuck (w/ the petition heading to PAX East that refers to Gareth) - awesome job, guys! Kudos and lots of respect to the both of them.

I don't understand why EVERY control isn't re-mappable in the first place for ANY control-style in ALL games - whether on PC or consoles; whether on gamepad or KB/mouse.

So, while we're at it - is Visceral going to fix Dead Space 1 PC's and let those ALL be re-mappable controls, too? ;) I'd rather use KB/mouse and the controller.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Friday, February 11, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
It would be really cool if Logitech or someone picks up on this and makes this guy a custom mouse / gamepad suited for his disability. It would be good PR and this guy would be happy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
It would be really cool if Logitech or someone picks up on this and makes this guy a custom mouse / gamepad suited for his disability. It would be good PR and this guy would be happy.
Oh, man - that really would be awesome! :) It's probably inevitable now, too - I sure hope so.

I bet a company like say Logitech making a Gareth-Endorsed Mouse would generate A LOT of sales from "disabled" gamers, as well. Not only would you have those die-hards like Gareth that will do anything to play a game, but you'd probably get those "disabled" gamers who never tried a PC game or gave up games b/c of their disability to join this gaming party.

Hopefully, Gareth would make some good $ on royalties, too! :)

I use that term "disabled" loosely b/c Gareth looks like he's able to handle and overcome just about any obstacle. Dude has so much heart, will, and determination - I don't even know where the hell to begin. I'm sure there's got to be more gamers out there like himself!

The dude's amazing - I bet he'd take me in a game of DIRT 2.