Author Topic: Yakuza 5 info coming out  (Read 4087 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Yakuza 5 info coming out
« on: Monday, November 21, 2011, 11:01:10 PM »
omgomg

FIVE cities to visit! Plus:
    The game will have massive volume.
    Nagoshi says that if likening the series to a house, 5 would be like building a new house rather than adding an extension to an existing house.
    The five cities will be of scale at or beyond the previous Osaka (Dotonbori) and Okinawa (Ryukyu) locations.
    Rather than seeking out hostesses to appear in the game, Sega will be traveling to the five cities to seek out girls who will serve as a cheering squad for the game. The girls will appear in commercials as well.
    The game will have presentation improvements, including shortened load times, improved camerawork and better character expressions. The team is using some of the knowhow they gained from working on Binary Domain.
    The game will also have improved technology to allow for seamless conversations and battles. Nagoshi says that you will be surprised with the result.
    The story will connect directly with Yakuza 4. It will not carry over from the zombie-themed Yakuza Of the End.
    Masayoshi Yokoyama is now a producer. On past Yakuza games, he worked on such areas as script and scenario.
    Development is currently in an early phase. Famitsu lists the game as date TBA.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Yakuza 5 info coming out
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
omgomg

Kazuma Kiryu was already confirmed for main character duties in Yakuza 5. This week's Famitsu reveals the four other main characters: Taiga Saejima, Shun Akiyama, Haruka and Tatsuo Shinada.

Saejima, Akiyama and Haruka should be familiar to Yakuza fans. Yes, the magazine confirms Haruka as a main character, and this does mean she'll be playable. What will happen to her in battle is being kept a secret for now.

The newcomer in the bunch, Shinda, is a former baseball player. He was given a life ban from the game for gambling, but it seems that he may have been innocent. He's currently struggling with debt.

The story will connect directly with Yakuza 4 (Yakuza Of the End was a spinoff). Kiryu (shown in the magazine wearing some slick black threads) is in Fukuoka, where he's become a taxi driver. Soejima is serving a three year prison sentence, when he hears that Akiyama has come to Osaka on business. Haruka has also come to Osaka, having left Okinawa to pursue her dream of becoming an idol. She lives on her own and practices singing and dancing , but it turns out the talent agency she's with has other plans.

An interview in Famitsu reveals that the game has had double the development time of past Yakuza games, and is being developed as something that can be considered a "New Yakuza." The game will have a script/scenario with the greatest scale and dynamism yet seen in the series. Adventure will switch to battle and back seamlessly. The controls have been improved dramatically.

Development on this new Yakuza is at 70%. A PS3 release is planned for December.
Please bring this over, Sega. PLEASE!

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »
That sounds awesome.  Looking forward to playing this.  Hopefully I can finish Yakuza 4 before this comes out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
Looks awesome as usual! I still have to finish Yakuza 3 before I can dive into 4.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 25, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
Dead Souls is 29.99 right now at Newegg, Idol.  It's part of their summer sale.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
Oh sweet, Ill have to think about that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 18, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
I figured I'd lump this little bit of info here:

'Yakuza 1 & 2' HD Edition confirmed for PlayStation 3

The HD re-release seems be the going trend for Japanese devs these days.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »
Man I really hope 5 and the HD collection come stateside. I'll be crushed if they dont.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »
So I took note of all my games from this generation that I have not played, in an attempt to at least catch up on the current backlog.  What do I do?  See Yakuza and start playing it.

I'm in Chapter 4 right now.  I'm won't say what's happening in the story, because I know Idol wants to play through it.  But a few things:

The story does a good job of kiting you along in the game.  At no point is there ever a lull.  You're always headed somewhere.  The downside to this is that it makes it incredibly easy to miss out on what the city has to offer.

The combat is pretty bad.  It's very rigid, and more often than not i've found myself in the middle of an uninterruptable attack going in the wrong direction.  So I whiff right by the guy i'm trying to strike, only to have him kick me in the back for my trouble.  It may get better as I unlock more moves and flesh it out some, but at the very least a lock on button would have been nice.

It holds up surprisingly well for a PS2 game.  It still looks presentable, and I think the game's small focus allows it to develop the limited setting.    Just judging by the chapters I'm roughly a third of the way through it.  And I figure I will probably see it through to the end.  I just hope I can track down a complete copy of Yakuza 2 by then.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »
Taiko Drum Master playable inside Yakuza 5.

PLEASE SEGA! BRING IT OVER! I BEG YOU!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 05:12:07 AM »
I finished Yakuza and have since started Yakuza 2.  The story is sort of a Metal Gear edge of ridiculousness story that just keeps me hooked.  I thought these first two games would have trouble keeping my attention, but playing the second is sort of like watching the second season of a TV show or something. 

Course it doesn't hurt that the sequel improved on the original in just about every conceivable way.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »
Petition to change thread title to "K-man and Idolminds discuss Yakuza... by themselves"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
I want to be into these games, I do. I just don't have the time. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with 3, which Idol bought me a copy of. But I felt a little bit lost. I should watch all the included backstory stuff and see if I can't get myself into it again. It was pretty damned fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 23, 2012, 04:54:33 AM »
I watched the recaps before attempting to play 3.  It didn't quite work for me.  Now that I've gone back and played through 1 (and in the process of 2), 3 should be a rather seamless transition.

If anything it's nice to see how the series has progressed over the years.  I'm definitely game for the HD versions of 1&2 if they ever hit stateside...Or hell, even if they don't I'll import them as long as they have English subs.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »
Well if you tire of the fighting mechanics in Yakuza 5, you can hop over to the in-game arcade and play Virtua Fighter 2.

Sega...please....don't leave me hanging here....

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 29, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
I....I.....
Do you plan to eventually localise Yakuza 5 for the West?

We don’t have a plan for that at the moment. The Yakuza Studio team is a fixed size, and we have to choose between forging ahead with the next game or localising the one that just came out. This time the size of the game was so large, so rather than localising that game we chose to focus our manpower on the new game. But we get asked about it a lot. We get lots of complaints!
There is no meme image capable of describing my sadness and disappointment.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 29, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
Damn, that really sucks.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 29, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »
If we can at least get it subtitled, like Yakuza 3, I'd be content.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, September 29, 2013, 09:34:29 PM »
Thats the thing, everything past the first game was just subtitled. Why a localization isn't simply built in from the start is mind boggling.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
Started playing Yakuza 5 last night.  So far it's real good.