Poll

Who wold win?

The Adventures of Monkey Island
7 (100%)
Sam and Max
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Who would win in a fight...  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Who would win in a fight...
« on: Friday, February 08, 2008, 11:31:14 PM »
Which series would win: The Monkey Island series or the Sam and Max series?

I voted for Monkey Island, just because I think that the series carries it. But I do think that the original Sam and Max is better than many of the Monkey Island series.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Who would win in a fight...
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 08, 2008, 11:35:13 PM »
Really tough call, but I went with Monkey Island.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 09, 2008, 12:37:21 AM »
The original Monkey Island alone beats Sam and Max for me. Maybe it's because I played it first (MI), but there's just more to the game that wins it for me. I love the game dearly, but there's nothing in Sam and Max that tops stuff like the Pirate Leaders or the whole dueling scheme.

I played through the original Sam and Max about a month ago and a lot of the side characters are really short lived, shorter than I remember. None of them are nearly as enduring as all the sidekicks you pick up along the way in Monkey Island and Conroy Bumpus simply doesn't hold a candle to LeChuck. The choice is pretty easy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 09, 2008, 01:44:43 AM »
Ultimately I find Sam and Max more personally endearing in terms of concept, but Monkey Island definitely takes it.  That said, the two are both entirely indispensable.  Julia just played through both and loved them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 09, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »
It should also be pointed out that if Pirates of the Caribbean was never made, a Monkey Island would have been completely awesome. Now it would just look like a rip off to most people.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 10, 2008, 02:00:45 AM »
I've never played either really, but popped in to ask if the new Sam and Max game is any good.  I was a big Grim Fandango fan if that means anything.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 10, 2008, 02:46:56 AM »
They're good fun, especially for the price if you're going for the entire season. It's hard to put them at the same level of any of the older adventure games, but they have their moments. Don't go in expecting something as high end as Grim Fandango and there's plenty to enjoy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 10, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »
I can't vote twice, but Julia threw in her vote for Sam & Max.  She just played through both games less than a month ago and apparently that was her favorite of the two.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野