Author Topic: Dear Ubisoft  (Read 2742 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Dear Ubisoft
« on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
Why did you even bother making a PC version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent?  I'm already having issues and from what I can hear there's only more to come. 

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Dear Ubisoft
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 12:41:11 AM »
Yea, and it's a shitty Splinter Cell.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 01:20:37 AM »
Funny, too, because it was the only one that looked even remotely interesting to me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 01:41:04 AM »
If it not for the maddening technical issues, I thought Double Agent wasn't bad.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 02:19:40 AM »
I'm not even a huge fan of these types of games.  I don't hate them and have fun playing them if there's a strong plot (like MGS - and no it doesn't have to fully make sense), but I'd generally rather play something else.  I can't compaire it to the other SC games at all since I've only played the first, and while I liked it, that was like 3-4 years ago.  It's not bad and I was having fun with it, but it's not really my thing and the very small technical problems I've run into seem to be a sign of things to come.  I just don't want to get too far into it and have some game ruining bug hit.  I"m pretty much done with it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 02:27:51 AM »
I just don't want to get too far into it and have some game ruining bug hit.

Very likely.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 03:58:32 AM »
Yeah, I've had quite a few game ruining bugs. Fortunately for some of themm I was able to just restart the level. Sadly, the save game system is so bugged it doesn't always allow you simply load a previous save or a checkpoint. Ubisoft didn't even bother fixing it in either of the two patches they released.

I would have expected the Singapore studio to have learned from their mistakes with Pandora Tomorrow, instead they just made some new ones.

What have I learned? The only Ubisoft studios that are worth it are Ubisoft Montréal and Ubisoft France.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 04:18:10 AM »
This was by the Singapore Studio? For some reason I thought that was newly formed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 07:14:57 AM »
Funny, too, because it was the only one that looked even remotely interesting to me.

Single Player
Terrorist Cell Missions
Double Agent (game) would've and should've been better, if it wasn't for some of the in-between terrorist training center missions that have repetitive, tedious and boring things to do -- such as the overly repetitive bomb-building mission and the cube-cracking mission. The bomb-building wouldn't have been so bad, if you didn't have to build so many bombs, which do take quite a while to get done. However, I did like that most of those terrorist-cell missions in the training center were basically ALL optional missions -- you did have to choose to side with something, though -- or else you'd likely fail, b/c you'd not be keeping one side happy.

There were other missions in that terrorist training area, that were good, though -- such as sneaking around, spying on conversations of lead terrorists, etc etc -- you know, which is the usual cool stealthy stuff in a SC game.

Regular Missions
Most of the regular missions (that were away from the training center) were awesome, though. And the last mission was excellent.

NSA Vs. Terrorist Cell Meter
And the whole Double Agent scheme, with NSA Vs. Terrorist Cell meter was great, where you to do main objectives and optional side objectives where you wanted to keep both sides happy -- or else, you'd fail the mission/game.

In-Game Performance
The in-game performance was not too good, either. This was a very lazy port of SC: DA -- this can join the UbiSoft Lazy Port Club, along w/ R6: Vegas and GRAW series -- since both are very good games, but do have performance issues that they really did not deserve. I think the best running game I've seen on any of these UE2.5 or UE3 games here is basically Bioshock PC, running excellent at all times -- so, obviously Ubi's been very lazy on their ports.

Save System
Yeah, SC: DA's save system was pretty crummy. You might want to make a REGULAR SAVE (not a quicksave) before you quit the game out to Windows, since the game does wipe your QUICK and AUTO SAVES out after you quit the game out to Windows. Making REGULAR SAVES was the only way to keep your info, really -- yeah, you have to hit Escape, go back to menu, then hit save; the long way of saving, basically. Worst of all, the game doesn't SORT automatically or doesn't allow you can't even SORT your saves by Date, Level, or anything -- they're just all over the place. Big eww on that.

Chaos Theory is King for SC Series
Really though, Chaos Theory was the best Splinter Cell, by far -- no comparison. Not only did the game look great for its time, it ran like it was optimized for the PC. The SP missions were awesome. It allowed for optional objectives, for the first time in the series. And the save system wasn't actually botched, either. It looked great and ran great.

Unfortunately, SC: CT on the PC comes w/ StarForce. Of course, there's ways around that crappy copy protection.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 07:28:31 AM »
Good summary MyD. Don't forget the irreverant crashing! The game will inevitably crash at least once per session (a session being no less than 20 minutes).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 07:31:51 AM »
Good summary MyD. Don't forget the irreverant crashing! The game will inevitably crash at least once per session (a session being no less than 20 minutes).

Hmmm...I never went through that.....  :o

Did that get fixed w/ the latest patch or something?
Or was I just flat-out lucky???  :o

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 07:32:29 AM »
I was wondering what was taking you so long to post.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 07:34:46 AM »
I was wondering what was taking you so long to post.

Yeah, you knew that I would have a lot to say SC: DA, especially since it's part of the UbiSoft Lazy Port Club. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 07:40:17 AM »
Hmmm...I never went through that.....  :o

Did that get fixed w/ the latest patch or something?
Or was I just flat-out lucky???  :o

Even after the latest patch the game has a tendency t crash, especially during level transitions (i.e. right after loading).

All in all it was just really shoddy work. I hope ConViction will be great though. It has to be 'GREAT' not just 'good' to revive my faith in the franchise.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 07:49:11 AM »
Even after the latest patch the game has a tendency t crash, especially during level transitions (i.e. right after loading).
Wow...How'd I get so lucky??!?!?

Is it having 2 GB that did avoided the issues?
Hmmm...

All in all it was just really shoddy work.
Given all the issues people had w/ it, yeah -- no doubt.

I hope ConViction will be great though. It has to be 'GREAT' not just 'good' to revive my faith in the franchise.
I'm hoping ConViction will take what was great about CT and DA -- and stay way away from technical issues galore.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 10:44:49 AM »

Hmmm...

Doubt it.. I reinstalled about 2 weeks ago (just felt like some stealth action and I had really milked SCCT), great performance but still bug-ridden. The same "seemingly random" crash issue. I have no idea how I finished it twice over a year ago.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »

Hmmm...
Given all the issues people had w/ it, yeah -- no doubt.
I'm hoping ConViction will take what was great about CT and DA -- and stay way away from technical issues galore.

Many people who experienced zero issues were the ones who didn't tweak their Double Agent settings in anyway. Apparently the port is so straight, that editing the visuals or controls in any way is what often seems to trigger the problems.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »
Well, that's real crappy, Pug.
Bleh on UbiSoft.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 05:30:28 PM »
Thats what you get for having slant eyed bastards make your games
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 11:12:04 PM »
Is it a coincidence that Ubisoft rhymes with Boobysoft? Is it MyD?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Thats what you get for having slant eyed bastards make your games

They were probably too busy eating dog soup.