Author Topic: I got a fucking Wii.  (Read 3698 times)

Offline ender

I got a fucking Wii.
« on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 12:38:30 AM »
I waited 13 hours in Wal-Mart with two other friends. I was third in line (in front of them) there were 30 something people at the end of the run and only 20 consoles and 19 copies of Zelda. I just gotta say, 10 bitches left with NOTHING. BWAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: I got a fucking Wii.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 12:41:08 AM »
Congratulations.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 12:41:54 AM »
Congrats man! I am so glad I had today off considering I work in electronics at Wal Mart.  We got about 30 Wiis and 50 copies of Zelda, people were already camped out on Thursday so I'm sure it was pretty crazy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 12:42:33 AM »
Sweet!  Be the first to tell us whether or not the Wiimote stuff sucks.  We're all anxious to hear from somebody we know!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ender

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 01:12:04 AM »
So far the Wii remote is tons of fun. Especially Wii Sports. Bowling has to be my favorite... its pretty much exactly like bowling... and loads of fun with other people. It seems to be a pretty immersive add on to Zelda... but obviously wasn't ENTIRELY designed into that game from the get go. Overall its extremely natural and responsive... a little closer to what you are familiar with in PC gaming using the mouse... but obviously with motion sensing. Overall it's a lot of damn good fun. I've got my XBOX 360 and my Wii and it seems like I have both gaming areas of my life covered in that way.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 01:56:31 AM »
Now for the Dreamcast 2.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 07:00:08 AM »
Congrats Ender ;D

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 11:16:15 AM »
I tried my best to nab one this morning, but everyone was sold out.

I went to best buy, circuit city, walmart, toys r us, ebgames, gamestop, gamecrazy, meijer, target, and compusa, but they had sold out. Everyone handed out vouchers the night before apparently, and they were gone before any stored even opened today.

So, I'm kind of bummed out. I was looking forward to some time with Zelda today. I called ebgames, and gamestop, and they are saying they may get some in tomorrow or Tuesday, but it will be very few. And most of the other places said they'd be getting more shipments on Friday. So, I hope to have one by the end of this week sometime.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »
Did you get monkeyball? If not, go back and get it.

Offline ender

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 11:25:25 AM »
I have Monkeyball on my Gameznflix line up... it should be coming soon.

I have to say, I freaking love bowling on Wii Sports. It's addictive.

The controls on Zelda are extremely intuitive after playing through longer. As for the game, this has one of the more engrossing and dark/intriguing story lines of any Zelda game I've played. I'm really happy with it. This is a great little system with tons of fun packed into it.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »
Dammit, I'm so bummed right now. I really really wanted to play Zelda. I have a five day weekend coming up, and I'm going Wii hunting.

My copy of Zelda should be here tomorrow, from amazon.com. Now I just need the system.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 08:10:35 PM »
Tonight at Target a guy came up asking for a Wii, and the clerk said they were sold out but to check back because they expect more shipments, even as early as tomorrow.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 09:04:47 PM »
Jennie and her mom wanted to go shopping today, so I took her son to Gamestop and we played the Wii.  The Wiimote was a lot smaller than I expected.  I thought it was like the size of a DVD player's remote.  It's like half that size, but fatter.

I only got to play Excite Truck.  Using the Wiimote as a steering wheel seemed to work really well.  However, the game itself was pretty lame.  Completely not compelling at all.  Graphically it was unimpressive as well, but I suppose we already knew it was going to be like that.

I asked the clerk if they had any.  He said no, but he was expecting 9 more on Tuesday and regular shipments after that.  He said Nintendo did it right and it shouldn't be that hard for anyone that wants one to get one.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 11:55:18 PM »
I am going to buy a Wii next week myself, but I think the Wii has its own stupid hype without its fanboys realizing it.

For example I find it slightly irritating whenever websites are comparing the three consoles, and they talk about all the stuff the 360 and the PS3 have, and then when they have nothing substantial to say about the Wii they repeat some dumb marketing line like, "It brings back the fun in gaming." Or something like, "Is a lot of fun." It is always with the emphasis on fun.

So what are the other two consoles trying to do? Bore you to death? It's like a father feeling proud for clothing and feeding his kids, that's what you are supposed to do! It is a good thing, but doesn't make you stand out. Likewise consoles are supposed to be fun, that's their job.

I hate it when fanboys across the web and even websites buy into this bull. Kids on forums talking about the 360 and the PS3 as the fat do it all girl, and the Wii being the fun girl next door. Where does it say that the other two consoles aren't fun? They are just more expensive.

On the subject of the Wii being available easily and the PS3 not, a lot of people are giving Nintendo far too much credit. When the hardware is as cheap as it is, it is just a lot easier to make it available. The Wii uses a processor that is supposedly around 1.0 GHz, and a video card that is based on a 1 year old ATi core.

Try to build computers with the specs of a Wii as well as that of a PS3. Hardware will be a lot more readily available at the level of a Wii.

Finally, the PS3 includes a Blu-Ray player. Each Blu-Ray drive requires a special diode that is extremely short on the market. In fact I had been reading about defective ones causing huge delays and stuff. That sort of thing does contribute to shortages at launch. But maybe this is a strategy by Sony, who knows?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 12:21:34 AM »
I am going to buy a Wii next week myself, but I think the Wii has its own stupid hype without its fanboys realizing it.

For example I find it slightly irritating whenever websites are comparing the three consoles, and they talk about all the stuff the 360 and the PS3 have, and then when they have nothing substantial to say about the Wii they repeat some dumb marketing line like, "It brings back the fun in gaming." Or something like, "Is a lot of fun." It is always with the emphasis on fun.

So what are the other two consoles trying to do? Bore you to death? It's like a father feeling proud for clothing and feeding his kids, that's what you are supposed to do! It is a good thing, but doesn't make you stand out. Likewise consoles are supposed to be fun, that's their job.

I hate it when fanboys across the web and even websites buy into this bull. Kids on forums talking about the 360 and the PS3 as the fat do it all girl, and the Wii being the fun girl next door. Where does it say that the other two consoles aren't fun? They are just more expensive.

On the subject of the Wii being available easily and the PS3 not, a lot of people are giving Nintendo far too much credit. When the hardware is as cheap as it is, it is just a lot easier to make it available. The Wii uses a processor that is supposedly around 1.0 GHz, and a video card that is based on a 1 year old ATi core.

Try to build computers with the specs of a Wii as well as that of a PS3. Hardware will be a lot more readily available at the level of a Wii.

Finally, the PS3 includes a Blu-Ray player. Each Blu-Ray drive requires a special diode that is extremely short on the market. In fact I had been reading about defective ones causing huge delays and stuff. That sort of thing does contribute to shortages at launch. But maybe this is a strategy by Sony, who knows?

Thank you for saying that.  A lot of people are just way too eager to jump on the Sony/Microsoft hating bandwagon and are looking for every little mistake the two companies make.  I'm certain if the Wii was the most expensive of the systems people would be on the Nintendo hating bandwagon.  That said I really want the Wii to do well, some of the games look fun but I'm still very wary because of the lack of great games the Gamecube had.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 12:49:53 AM »
Like it's always been, it's more of what the companies are focusing on than anything else.  Nintendo has this focus on lighter ideas, more "amusing" stuff, more stuff revolving around unconventional thinking.  Peter Moore gets up on the stage with his fucking earpiece and starts talking shit about technology and next-gen and the wave of the future blah blah blah and everybody wants to beat him in the fucking face with a shovel.  And Sony's made more consumer-noticed mistakes than anybody can count.  So I think it's a pretty natural progression.  It doesn't speak 100% to the people behind the systems, but a lot of it is about the face you present.  Microsoft and Sony don't have a fucking clue how to appeal to people the way Nintendo does.  That doesn't mean they don't have appeal, it just means their appeal is very, very different.

People *want* to like Nintendo.  To some degree you could call that fanboyism, but less so, I think, in light of the way the company presents itself both in advertising and at conferences and shows.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 04:08:24 AM »
Maybe you are right, that Nintendo are just better at PR. But they didn't earn this sort of hype during the last generation? Why? Because last generation the prices were relatively the same? I feel -- and I may be wrong -- that more people are jumping on the ''I love Wii" bandwagon purely because it is cheaper and nothing else. Again I could be wrong, or it could be a combination of both things.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 20, 2006, 06:11:40 AM by Pugnate »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 05:46:27 AM »
I think people are into the Wii because it is less expensive and it presents fresh ideas.  And it isn't as big as a mountain.

Offline ender

« Reply #18 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 06:24:59 AM »
Yeah, I belive Scott is right. The Wii seems like the Nintendo DS... it's not amazing technically... but the creativity behind the games and interface are what make it unique and fun... and it's not expensive.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 07:03:52 PM »
I called around a little bit today. But no luck. Gamestop, and ebgames said they will have more Friday at 7am to sell. So I'm going to get my ass up super early, and go camp out to get one.