Author Topic: Xbox 360 wired controller as a PC gamepad  (Read 4897 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Xbox 360 wired controller as a PC gamepad
« on: Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 06:35:43 PM »
Works!  Once again, I used Psychonauts as a test, since it's designed for a gamepad, and gets along nicely with my new monitor (full res, widescreen aspect).  I read that you need XP SP2 to install the MS drivers, plus the very tight default deadzone cannot be adjusted with them.  So I opted instead for these.  So far so good.  Buttons map just fine under the game menu, including both sticks (L to move, R to look around).  This beats the hell out of most PC joypads I've tried.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Xbox 360 wired controller as a PC gamepad
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 08:14:14 PM »
Cool. I think I'm going to make this pad my next purchase for my computer.

Have you tried it with ZSNES or other emulators? I'd love to have a nice gamepad for that sort of thing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 09:19:54 PM »
I tried it with Oblivion and, ironically enough, it was a horrible experience.  Not just because it's better to play Oblivion with a mouse and keyboard, but because it just didn't work right.  I tried it with some other stuff, though (I forget what) and it performed admirably.  I'd definitely consider using it regularly for that purpose with emulated stuff.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 10:08:52 PM »
It works perfectly with ZSnes.  When I tried mapping it to the ePSXe controller (PS1/Dual Shock), I could not get it to see a change in one of the right-stick axes.  That made me look into the XBCD driver guide I linked, and I realized how much more I had left to do.  When you get this, make sure to get the 3 .xgi mapping files provided.  They are a good starting point, and a template for any changes you may want to make.  They also add a bit more dead zone, which is probably needed.  You can map anything to anything, basically.  For example, the L and R triggers are analog, so they can be mapped (for Windows-controller response) to different directions on a single axis, 2 separate axes, or digital buttons.  For some reason, the "Xbox" pane doesn't work right at all for me (under the XBCD driver applet). [Edit: This doesn't really matter.  Just use the interface to change things around to your (or your target program's) liking.] But the "Windows" pane reflects the different XGI-file mappings just fine.  These are simply text files, BTW.

I still need to go back to try to make the ePSXe controller plugin see all the axes.

Edit: Yep, it works.  For some reason, the input plugin is not seeing the LRX axis.  So I remapped that to LRZ in XBCD, and now it's happy.  I need to verify that this works in a game.

Spyro YotD works 100%, but that doesn't use the right stick.  Going through my ISOs . . .

Edit 2:  OK, Medievil 2 uses the R stick for looking around.  Works perfectly.  Everything is as it should be, after a bit of learning and tweaking.

Edit next:  One more comment.  I never installed the Microsoft drivers for this, as the guide instructs, and maybe that's why the "Xbox" pane in the applet acts squirrely in response to controller input.  But like I said, it doesn't seem to matter.  Everything that does matter works fine.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 11:10:35 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 18, 2007, 12:47:23 AM »
I've been thinking about purchasing one. Issue is that it is $50 here. Is that about the same?

Also doesn't the wireless have a wire that you can attach temporarily to the 360 to recharge? Why couldn't they designed the wireless controller to be used with the PC?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 18, 2007, 03:24:04 AM »
The receiver for wireless controllers is already built into the X360, isn't it?  They'd have to sell a separate receiver to use the wireless controllers with PCs.

The wired one is $40 here.  It's still steep, considering controller prices have been $25-30 for a long time.  The whole line of 360 accessories is a gouge, really.  Look at that WiFi adapter priced at $100.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 18, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 18, 2007, 10:35:08 AM »
Now I am a little confused. So how does it connect to the PC? So basically there are three controllers? Wireless 360, Wired for both 360 and PC and Wireless PC??

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 18, 2007, 10:54:54 AM »
Not sure about that. I think if you buy the specific "For Windows" package it'll come with a little USB receiver. I dont think they've released it yet.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, January 18, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »
I've been looking this up so basically the "For Windows" is going to be used in all four situations. Wired on PC and the 360 and wireless on both as well.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »
Just got the pad for myself and think its all set up. Reinstalled Psychonauts to test.

I find out Beyond Good and Evil doesnt support controllers...fucking boo!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 06:36:35 PM »
How the hell does that game not support controllers?  That makes no sense whatsoever.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 06:42:44 PM »
Nice.  I haven't been using it for PC games lately (have hardly been playing any at all), but it has sure put up with a lot of punishment unscathed.  (Dead Rising often gives you no feedback when in a zombie's chokehold.  Stick and button mayhem follows.)  It's a great DS-style controller with 1st-party quality.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 06:47:34 PM »
Psychonauts controls like a dream now. While it worked well enough with KBM, it still wasn't "right". I had buttons all over to do various things. Now it plays the way it should.

And yes Que, it completely blows that BG&E doesnt support it. I havent properly played the game yet because I wanted the controller. Bah! I'll try track down a GC or Xbox copy of the game.

*EDIT*

Maybe I'll try Splinter Cell...hmmmm....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 06:52:03 PM »
Dammit, the mention of BG&E...I still ain't even played that game!

Hard to find a copy of these days, I bet, eh? :(

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 06, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »
I would imagine it's... well, I dunno' actually.  It might not be that hard to find a used copy somewhere.  Hard to say.  It wasn't exactly a niche product, it just didn't sell well.

And Idol, I wouldn't worry about it.  There really isn't any *real* reason you need a controller.  I got by without one.  The controls will be a bit wonkier, but the combat is so unbelievably easy you could fly through it blindfolded anyway.  It's all about the exploring and adventure stuff, and you don't need a controller for that.  I played it with a touchpad, heh.  Plus the game is *really* pretty.  Stick with the PC version so you get all the pretty you can.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 12:36:11 AM »
Oh, awesomeness. That Xbox guide had suggestions of programs that let you map keyboard and mouse stuff to your controller. One you pay for, but is supposed to be real nice. The other is free/open source but I havent gotten it to work quite yet. Checking into the subject I found Xpadder. Its late so I dont have it fully configured for BG&E, but I'm getting there. Pretty simple to map things...all graphical type stuff.

I might get this going yet!

Will have to map the pad for Tomb Raider...wee!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 01:31:14 AM »
This program rules. I've got BG&E running near perfectly. Its almost like it has full controller support.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 10:30:06 PM »
I'll have to look into that.

As for the original topic, my pc gamepad broke a few months ago, so I decided to buy an xbox usb adapter off ebay for like 3 bucks.  It's great.  The only downside I can think of is that it doesn't have the 6 face buttons and four triggers of my old hammerhead FX (but almost no pad out there does) so it's hard to get a universal mapping scheme for n64 games...but whatever. 

XBCD is a great program, and the ability to completely customize the buttons is huge since a lot of games assume the right axis is mapped to something it's not (I hope that's something fixed with MS' plan for universal controller configurations in Vista). 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 08:07:36 PM »
I would imagine it's... well, I dunno' actually.  It might not be that hard to find a used copy somewhere.  Hard to say.
Hmmmmm.....Amazon or Ebay, eh...?

You know who often has un-used new games that were released a while ago that can be hard to find?? Big Lots. Got one of those stores on the other side of my city.

It wasn't exactly a niche product, it just didn't sell well.
Oh, great -- that means it'll probably be joining The Steam Club next week, like other great "niche" games that should've sold better than they did...

...namely, Dreamfall: TLJ and Psychonauts.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 07:10:10 AM »
I just wanted to point out to everyone that if you have the wireless 360 controllers, you can use them on your PC... wirelessly.

I just bought the $20 Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows.  It's a little USB device.  Works great.  The only bad thing about it is that you have to sync your controller back and forth between the computer and the 360.  It doesn't seem that it can work with both at the same time.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessgamingreceiver/

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 08:13:44 AM »
I had heard about that.  I imagine "synching up" is like moving the cable manually on a wired controller?  Does that work if both the PC and the 360 are on at the same time?

How does the D-pad work on the wireless controller?  I keep seeing nasty complaints about the D-pad, but I don't know if that has anything to do with whether it's wireless.  I don't have any major trouble with mine (and that's wired).  It's not the best.  (Nintendo has that sewn up).  But I don't understand all the bitching.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 09:03:13 AM »
Syncing involves holding in the wireless button on the PC device, then holding the same button on the controller (now I know what that is for).  After you do that, it can't talk to the 360.  But yes the 360 can be on while this is happening.  To sync it back to the 360 you hold in the wireless button on the 360 and then the controller.  Not hard, but it would have been sweet if you didn't have to do it at all.

I played Tecmo Super Bowl.  The D-pad worked fine, but it's not a very good D-pad, I realized.  The surface is too smooth.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 11:40:51 AM »
Yea it sucks that you have to do that, but the 360 controller is apparently only capable of syncing to one machine at a time.  My friend brought 360 controllers over to play and he had to sync all the controllers to my machine in order for it to work.  I'd imagine he'd have to resync to his 360 when he got home.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 03:54:58 PM »
Yea it sucks that you have to do that, but the 360 controller is apparently only capable of syncing to one machine at a time.  My friend brought 360 controllers over to play and he had to sync all the controllers to my machine in order for it to work.  I'd imagine he'd have to resync to his 360 when he got home.

If you think about it, how else could you do it?  Would you want your controller signal getting acted on by several devices simultaneously?  What you move and press while looking at a PC screen has nothing to do with the Xbox (and vice-versa).