Author Topic: Clerks II  (Read 6155 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Clerks II
« on: Monday, January 29, 2007, 11:11:04 PM »
I kept hearing and reading that it was a worthy sequel to the first. I guess in some ways it was, but really, it doesnt really touch the first movie. I was kinda expecting more fucking around in a convenience store with really clever and witty conversations. It almost feels nothing like the first movie aside from the characters, the drama tones in the movie pretty much kill it. I didnt give a shit about the relationship cliches or their real world realizations. Oh well, it wasnt a total waste, this made it worth it in the end.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Clerks II
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 29, 2007, 11:41:33 PM »
I heard it sucked donkey balls... no pun intended.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 29, 2007, 11:44:33 PM »
We watched it a couple weeks ago, and loved it. We laughed so freaking hard at that part, and especially the "Pillow Pants" scene. I don't think I've ever seen Megan laugh so hard in my life. Sure, it wasn't as good as the first Clerks, which is just a great great movie, but I thought it was a worthy sequel.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »
Yea, I didnt really hate it. There was a lot parts that had me laughing pretty good. I think its because I watched both movies back to back. I saw Clerks II at the rental place then I though since I hadnt seen the original in forever I rented it too.

Offline ender

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 06:10:44 AM »
I loved Clerks II as well. I thought it was completely hilarious -- especially the LOTR vs Star Wars scene. Well done, Kevin. It's definitely his best film since Chasing Amy.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 08:52:49 AM »
I too thought Clerks II was great.  I wasn't expecting much, but after I watched it I just don't know why people were complaining about it so much.

The original Clerks has so much completely terrible acting I find it hard to watch sometimes.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »
"All they do in the movie is walk. Even the fucking trees walk." 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 06:35:37 PM »
Thats a brilliant line.

I so want a "Porch monkey 4 life" shirt, but it'd probably get me shot.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »
Thats a brilliant line.

I so want a "Porch monkey 4 life" shirt, but it'd probably get me shot.

Another reason I love being black.

I forgot how I first saw Clerks, but I saw Clerks 2 on opening day. It was the day after I had my arm operated on and I was in excruciating pain. I thought the movie was ok, but I would've liked it more if I weren't in so much pain, my friend wasn't so annoying and his girlfriend didn't hate the movie so much.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2007, 03:41:04 PM »
A sequel that is actually on the same level of greatness as the original, for me -- which I found *very* shocking, given how great the original was.

Loved Clerks 1, loved Clerks 2.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2007, 10:56:50 PM »
I really liked it

especially since there's a criminology joke in there
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »
Everything I've heard about the movie is completely polarized.  Everyone either loves it or think it exposes Kevin Smith for the worthless hack he really is.

Personally I liked it a lot, it seemed like a fitting sequel and was hilarious.  I couldn't really expect more than that.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 04:45:12 PM »
One thing I have to say about Kevin smith though is this:  He needs to wear something other than bowling shirts once in awhile.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 06:42:57 PM »
I haven't seen enough of his movies to really say if I like him or not.  I *love* the original Clerks but am entirely afraid of hating the sequel and it being very different, so I haven't watched it (because as I've mentioned before, the first movie seems like the kind of thing I'd hate, but for some reason I don't).  I also watched the Jay and Silent Bob movie and Dogma, both of which I thought were some of the worst popular movie making I'd ever seen despite a couple of cool moments.  And before you say it, my dislike of Dogma actually have zero to do with religious stuff.  I just plain didn't find it funny, the same way I didn't find the J&SB movie funny.  But I still haven't seen a lot of what is generally considered his better stuff, so I really can't make a judgment on the guy yet, especially since I like Clerks so much.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 09:11:58 PM »
well clerks 2 is significantly better than both dogma and J&SB. it obviously has lost the indy feel of the original, but it follows similar themes and ideas, (being a directionless loser, talking shit with your friends and most importantly, girl problems), so it still feels very clerks. i worried that they'd fuck up transplanting the spirit of the first film across to the sequel, but, for the most part, they did a very good job.

overall i think it's a very worthy successor. there are far more "hit" than "miss" moments, and if you enjoyed *any* of kevin smith's work, you should give it a try. it's definitely one of his best flicks.

oh yeah, i have to add that jay and silent bob are funnier in their bit parts here than they were in the entirety of their own movie.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 09:19:16 PM »
I guess I'll have to give a whirl at some point.  Netflix, here I come!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 09:36:54 PM »
If you're going to fully enjoy and understand J&SB, you have to watch all of the other "Jersey Movies". I highly recommend "Chasing Amy", makes a great date movie.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »
i've watched every kevin smith film there is (bar that j-lo abortion), and i still wouldn't really rate J&SB. i got all the in jokes, but i found that most of them fell pretty flat. chasing amy, however is a great, if not quite excellent, film.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 10:31:36 PM »
I saw Jersey Girl and thought it was okay.  A good effort, but nothing much more than that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, February 03, 2007, 01:08:09 AM »
Jersey Girl was a massive disappointment. I really don't understand the logic of making a cliché filled poop fest.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 05, 2007, 10:40:18 AM »
I finally saw this flick on Friday and thought it was terrific.

On an interesting sidenote, that Jackson 5 song has been stuck in my head all weekend.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »
Off-topic...Jersey Girl
Jersey Girl was a massive disappointment. I really don't understand the logic of making a cliché filled poop fest.

Maybe, it made his "studio/publisher" happy.....who the hell knows....

Though, I did like Carlin's role in the movie.

I liked the movie, but not Smith's best work.

Okay, back to Clerks 2 now....
We watched it a couple weeks ago, and loved it. We laughed so freaking hard at that part, and especially the "Pillow Pants" scene. I don't think I've ever seen Megan laugh so hard in my life. Sure, it wasn't as good as the first Clerks, which is just a great great movie, but I thought it was a worthy sequel.
Oh, God....Pillow Pants scene was hilarious.