Games > General Gaming

Diablo 1 & Hellfire - Update: Hellfire added to GOG version (Reply 22)

(1/5) > >>

MysterD:
INTRO:
So, w/ nostalgia of D1 thrown into D3 by Blizz patch, I did experiment a bit.
I did get Diablo 1 going on modern OS's. I'm dedicating a whole thread to this, since we do have D2+D3 threads dedicated to just those games.
And since D1 can be a real pain to run on modern OS's, too.
I'm going to chuck all kinds of resources, source ports, links, and other stuff in here on how to relive the original classic on your modern PC's.

RESOURCES/LINKS:
Lurker Lounge - Diablo 1 Backwards Compatibility Guide.

MysterD:
MysterD's Installation Instructions for...
Diablo 1 (without Hellfire) via Belzebub Source Port:

1. If you still have your retail copy and a CD/DVD/BR drive, then install the Diablo off the CD. Should take no time.
If installing on newer Windows OS's (i.e. W7 and above), don't put it in protected folders - i.e. C:\Program Files (regular) or C:\Program Files x86. Anywhere but those.
Try elsewhere - i.e. C:\Games\Diablo; C:\Diablo; or anywhere else that isn't protected folders.

2. Copy DIABDAT.MPQ file from your CD over to your Diablo folder where Diablo.EXE resides.
You'll need this to run the game without the disc, whether natively or via Belzebub.

3. Patch it up to 1.09 (regular) - these files should be on Battle.Net or Lurker Lounge.
Battle-Net Link for Retail version patch - https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/200684
Lurker Lounge link - http://www.mediafire.com/file/5daws9f531q51zr/drtl109.exe
Download the patch from one of those places and install it.

4. Patch it up to 1.09B - these files should be on Battle.Net or Lurker Lounge.
Lurker Lounge link - http://www.mediafire.com/file/4c7jk35jtjjom3e/drtl109b.exe
Download the patch and install it.

5. Grab Belzebub Source Port (i.e. Diablo 1 HD Mod) and download it.
Get it here -  https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/download
This Source Port can only be played Offline in Single Player Mode.
This Source Port also includes also extra classes, unused content/quests, zoom in/zoom out features while playing (roll mouse-wheel up+down), high resolution support (including 4K, if you want to go that high), FPS caps up to 60FPS, etc etc.

6. Unzip and dump Belzebub's folder contents right into the main Diablo 1 folder (where Diablo.EXE is).
All new files here (except README.TXT), so it shouldn't over-write anything.

7. Boot game-up from running Belzebub.EXE.
Also, you might want to create a shortcut for Belzebub.exe and throw that on the desktop.

8. Enjoy D1 at High Res + on modern systems!!!

K-man:
I actually reinstalled the game yesterday and am currently on Level 8.  I hadn't bothered to patch up.  Thanks for the tutorial.  I'm not going to install the source port just yet.  I've never actually completed a play through of the game, and I'd like to experience it at least once how the developer intended.

Quemaqua:
Nice. I will happily install a source port. Game is just too wonky on modern displays. The mouse feels completely wrong in widescreen, and the one update I found for custom resolutions did some weird things with the mouse, especially in inventory management, that just made it a chore. If this works, I'm all about it.

Though the 2nd patch doesn't seem to be necessary. It just complains and tells me it has something to do with Battle.net and doesn't need to be run.

EDIT - Really wish there was a way to get this working in multiplayer. It doesn't even let you select multiplayer with the port, so even LAN emulation isn't an option, I guess. Which is a bummer. I also wish I could selectively choose which bells and whistles to turn on, as some of the stuff feels just a little too modern. Ultimately, though, the game seems playable, and the hour and change I spent with it vanilla last night was a bit rough. Just some of the interface lessons that hadn't yet been learned, like a show items key, being able to hold down the mouse button to attack rather than having to endlessly wear out the mouse with clicks. Stuff like that is very welcome. A stash and waypoint system probably don't need to be there, but inventory management was a relentless pain in this game, and not especially fun, so I'm going to call that a win also.

It feels a touch wrong that the townspeople wander around and stuff, but it's not a big deal. Just to have it run well, without having to do a bunch of weird crap, and having the mouse and menu stuff feel correct makes this more than worth it.

MysterD:

--- Quote from: Quemaqua on Sunday, January 08, 2017, 12:44:43 PM ---Nice. I will happily install a source port. Game is just too wonky on modern displays. The mouse feels completely wrong in widescreen, and the one update I found for custom resolutions did some weird things with the mouse, especially in inventory management, that just made it a chore. If this works, I'm all about it.

Though the 2nd patch doesn't seem to be necessary. It just complains and tells me it has something to do with Battle.net and doesn't need to be run.

EDIT - Really wish there was a way to get this working in multiplayer. It doesn't even let you select multiplayer with the port, so even LAN emulation isn't an option, I guess. Which is a bummer. I also wish I could selectively choose which bells and whistles to turn on, as some of the stuff feels just a little too modern. Ultimately, though, the game seems playable, and the hour and change I spent with it vanilla last night was a bit rough. Just some of the interface lessons that hadn't yet been learned, like a show items key, being able to hold down the mouse button to attack rather than having to endlessly wear out the mouse with clicks. Stuff like that is very welcome. A stash and waypoint system probably don't need to be there, but inventory management was a relentless pain in this game, and not especially fun, so I'm going to call that a win also.

It feels a touch wrong that the townspeople wander around and stuff, but it's not a big deal. Just to have it run well, without having to do a bunch of weird crap, and having the mouse and menu stuff feel correct makes this more than worth it.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, out-the-box w/ original Diablo.EXE - had all kinds of issues. Version 1.00 would boot-up fine, though.

But, with it patched-up to 1.09b - nope. Got the "CD Error", even CD was in the drive.
Even moved the MPQ to the game-folder - nope, still same issue.
It's just not friendly out-the-gate w/ most modern OS's.

Oh, yeah - I forgot to note that the Source Port is only for Offline Single Player. I should have mentioned that. Let me add that in there, in my post.

I really love the zoom-in/zoom-out feature w/ this Source Port. I wish the Source Ports out there for D2 had that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version