Games > General Gaming

Diablo 1 & Hellfire - Update: Hellfire added to GOG version (Reply 22)

<< < (4/5) > >>

K-man:
Yeah, I certainly found the art direction a problem from the beginning.  My experiences with Diablo just underscored how badly they whiffed on this game.  I mean you had two games' worth of excellent source material to work with. 

Anyway, this thread isn't about Diablo 3's shortcomings. 

One thing I legitimately wonder about is why Blizz hasn't put their classic titles up for sale.  This event obviously drummed up some interest in the original title, and it would have been relatively easy money to put a digital version up for sale.

Cobra951:

--- Quote from: K-man on Monday, January 09, 2017, 06:06:09 PM ---Diablo certainly feels more deliberate in its flow.  It's a self-contained instance, and you make do with what you can scrape together.  And there's something very charming about that.  I think D2 is the better game by far, but I'm sure glad to have finally completed a play of D1.  D2 is more of a diluted experience, though I'd wager a single player play through would at least approximate the feel of Diablo 1 (I, like most others I'd guess, went directly to multi and never looked back).

--- End quote ---

I guess that's it, then.  I never went multiplayer.  D1 felt archaic and limited after playing D2.  The second was simply bigger and better in every respect (in SP).

MysterD:
For anyone complaining about D3's art style - the original core crew quit Blizzard North, that were involved w/ D1+D2, when making the original version of Diablo 3.
They didn't like how things were going w/ demands from their parent company (Vivendi), left, went Indie & formed Flagship. Flagship developed (the underrated) Hellgate: London.
Flagship went out of business.
Then, they formed Runic. Runic developed Torchlight 1+2.

The other Blizzard studio restarted the D3 game, did their own thing w/ it, and developed the version that we know as Diablo 3 that's on the market at stores now.

More on the original Blizzard North Diablo 3 w/ screens (it looks a lot like Diablo 2, TBH) here:
Kotaku - http://kotaku.com/5761172/this-is-what-diablo-iii-looked-like-a-long-time-ago/
Forbes - http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/28/the-diablo-iii-that-never-was/#7fd3c6f23edd

MysterD:

--- Quote from: K-man on Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 06:22:19 AM ---Yeah, I certainly found the art direction a problem from the beginning.  My experiences with Diablo just underscored how badly they whiffed on this game.  I mean you had two games' worth of excellent source material to work with. 

Anyway, this thread isn't about Diablo 3's shortcomings. 

One thing I legitimately wonder about is why Blizz hasn't put their classic titles up for sale.  This event obviously drummed up some interest in the original title, and it would have been relatively easy money to put a digital version up for sale.

--- End quote ---

Problem is - if they did re-release Diablo 1, they might actually have to + want to officially patch the original Diablo 1.
With all its issues + whatnot, it really is a pain in the ass to get going + running natively properly on modern OS's.

If they re-released the original game basically "as is", they'd probably have to drop a warning that "you might have to mod it" to get it to work properly.
Belzebub's probably the best + easiest way to get D1 going anyways.

EDIT:

--- Quote from: W7RE on Monday, January 09, 2017, 05:52:03 PM ---Can I run the game with Belzebub without the CD in the drive?
edit: you can, if you copy the mpq file from the CD into the game folder.

--- End quote ---
I forgot to add that step!
Let me add that to the steps of installing process.

MysterD:
Diablo 1 (GOG's most-wishlisted game of all time) joins GOG and is now DRM-FREE at $9.99:
https://www.gog.com/game/diablo

Things to note:
GOG version ships w/ 2 versions of the game:
1. The original authentic 20FPS version of Diablo 1 w/ SVGA graphics & you can also match-make online via Battle.Net.
2. And an updated version w/ modern high-res' support, W10 support, and bug-fixes.

Also, expect more Blizzard games to join GOG, such as Warcraft: Orcs and Humans & Warcraft 2:
https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=198139

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version