Author Topic: Snow!  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Snow!
« on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 11:51:31 PM »
It snowed all through the day today and into the evening, with some freezing rain mixed in. We got around 4-5 inches total. Really pretty stuff.

So tonight my sister and I drank some wine and then decided to go sledding. Beer was obviously a priority. I had to hold a six-pack between my legs while sliding wildly down a hill. Absolute fun, especially trying not to spill the open one.

Also, don't toss your keys in the six-pack cardboard holder with the assumption that they will stay in there. THERE ARE HOLES.

Anyone else get some winter weather this week?

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Snow!
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 11:59:54 PM »
Yea, its been doing the same thing here, no sledding though, I have no friends to sled with.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »
When its all said and done, we're supposed to have 15 - 20 inches.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »
We've had snow for the last week or two now. Its not particularly deep even though we got several inches, but it warmed up and rained a bit so it got packed down and iced over. Though it was snowing again today...wee!

I want to go sledding.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 01:37:34 AM »
It's been -30ºC to -40ºC (that's -22ºF to -40ºF for you Americans) here for the last week with 20 to 50 cm of snow, depending on wind and how the snow drifts.  So yes, we've had snow.  And it has been fucking freezing.  Thankfully, the chinook wind has arrived and we've had about 0ºC to +5ºC (32ºF to 41ºF) weather the last two days, so some of the snow has melted.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 02:02:03 AM »
I hate California.  We had some rain last week, but not nearly enough.  It got as low as I think 30 around here one morning, so we had some frost and some snow up in the hills on my way to work (which never happens), but obviously this isn't really cold weather.  Though to hear any of the dipshits here talk about it you'd think Hell had frozen over.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 07:44:51 AM »
It's hovering just around freezing here.  It was 10ºF when I left Boston.  I'm happy I don't live there.  We got about a half inch of snow overnight.  I hate when it half-ass snows like that.  Enough to make Cincinnati drivers turn into instant morons, but not really a good blanketing snow at all.

The snow is very wet and slushy.  Definitely not enough or the right type of snow for sledding, but it makes for great snowballs.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »
What he said, plus this big hill I'm on in Lawrenceburg seems to have gotten more than its fair share of the light snow.  It's very winter-wonderlandy here right now, with all the trees nicely lined with fluffy white.  The pines especially look nice.  It's still coming down, but it will be nothing like the blizzard expected in Long Island, where my girls are.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 04:48:36 AM »
You know I kept wondering if my heater broke because I have it on and its still not very warm in here so I think to myself "Either its broken or it's really fucking cold outside."

I open the door and I see snow... then I look at the temp gadget on my desktop, and its 16 degrees outside.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:21:15 PM »
You guys are so lucky.  I get so excited just to see rain or frost.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
There is some wet slushy snow here. Some ice spots here and there. It's January now. It's only going to get colder, and we'll probably see some good amounts of snow here soon. You can keep winter. I hate it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
Goddamn sun-worshipers.

(this is only funny to one other person)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »
The problem is getting up in the morning, getting a bunch of clothes on, a big coat, and walking outside to be greeted by -10f cold air that cuts right through all those clothes in about 3 minutes. Then your car is covered with a layer of ice, and then a few inches of snow laying on top of that. You fight a little to get your car door open, and when you do, snow from the roof of the car falls into the front seat. You start you car, and grab your scrapper. Then you sweep all the snow off to get to this pain in the ass ice layer. Then you scrape for 10 minutes trying to clean off your windscreen, and all your windows. Then you get back in your car and you sit on that snow, which is melted by now, and is just a cold dampness. Then you just sit there for a couple minutes shivering, while you wait for your car to warm up a little more. The heat still hasn't warmed up that much yet, so it's just blowing cool air, which is warmer than the air outside, but you can't tell because your fucking freezing. Then finally you get on the road, and you almost get hit about three times on your way to work because some fucktards don't know how to drive in the snow.

There is more, but I'm going to stop there. I'm going to move somewhere with mediterranean climate one day, and I don't think I'll care if I ever see snow for the rest of my life.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
Perfect description of the misery that is a real winter, like this one.  The high temp here is not supposed to get above the 20s for a week.  Sucks.  I highly recommend the Mediterranean.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
I hate warm weather, all I do is sweat when I'm immersed in it.

The thing that I love about snow is the silence. Give me a field where it's snowing and I will be content for hours. The silence is utterly peaceful.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 04, 2010, 05:33:04 PM »
The problem is getting up in the morning, getting a bunch of clothes on, a big coat, and walking outside to be greeted by -10f cold air that cuts right through all those clothes in about 3 minutes. Then your car is covered with a layer of ice, and then a few inches of snow laying on top of that. You fight a little to get your car door open, and when you do, snow from the roof of the car falls into the front seat. You start you car, and grab your scrapper. Then you sweep all the snow off to get to this pain in the ass ice layer. Then you scrape for 10 minutes trying to clean off your windscreen, and all your windows. Then you get back in your car and you sit on that snow, which is melted by now, and is just a cold dampness. Then you just sit there for a couple minutes shivering, while you wait for your car to warm up a little more. The heat still hasn't warmed up that much yet, so it's just blowing cool air, which is warmer than the air outside, but you can't tell because your fucking freezing. Then finally you get on the road, and you almost get hit about three times on your way to work because some fucktards don't know how to drive in the snow.

There is more, but I'm going to stop there. I'm going to move somewhere with mediterranean climate one day, and I don't think I'll care if I ever see snow for the rest of my life.

What I've done for the past 4-5 years is just make sure to start my car up roughly 15-20 min. before I gots to go.  If I have work, I start it up, run back in, hop in the shower, and then go. That bitch is all nice, defrosted, and toasty by the time I get back in.  And with a 1.5l 4 banger, I'm probably only throwing away a couple of cents.

The shit I hate is when it's chilly, but I don't think ahead to do that, so I melt the ice/frost with the washer fluid.  Start driving and the window starts glazing over with frost again, but the engine isn't putting out enough heat to defrost the windshield as it freezes...so, head out the window.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »
There's a new inch of the white shit out there today, completely unforecasted.  With the low temps, it stuck everywhere.  Only the plowed street doesn't have an even blanket of slippery white.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
It's cold as a witches tit here, and it's snowing/raining right now. Not to mention it's really really windy...so, it's all gonna freeze.I expect I have to get up about 20 minutes early so I can clean my car off.

Another stupid winter story. Just ran to the gas station to fill up my tank because I have to drive to class tomorrow. My gas door had a half inch layer of ice on it. So, I'm standing out there with the wind and wet cold shit falling from the sky, and I'm just chipping away at this ice like a jackass. I finally got it free after a little bit...

Just another dumb annoying inconvenience. Eff winter in the bee.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 07:23:11 PM »
There is some wet slushy snow here. Some ice spots here and there. It's January now. It's only going to get colder, and we'll probably see some good amounts of snow here soon. You can keep winter. I hate it.
I realized there is one and only one thing I like about winter:

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts exactly.  Except here is my modified version:

The problem is getting up in the morning, getting a bunch of clothes on, a big coat, and walking outside with your dog that needs to go to the bathroom to be greeted by -10f cold air that cuts right through all those clothes in about 3 minutes. Then you trudge through the snow for ten minutes (usually takes closer to five) to get to the spot that your dog likes to poop at, except he has decided that he doesn't feel like going just yet and wants to explore the snow some more.  Finally after walking around for ten more minutes, he poops.  You take your glove off to expose your bare skin to the blistering cold and whip out a poop bag.  Disturbingly, you are relieved from the cold temporarily by the warm poop on the other side of the plastic as you pick the poop up.  You go to put your glove back on, but realize that your dog has kicked snow right into it.  Then you trudge fifteen minutes back home.  Then your car is covered with a layer of ice, and then a few inches of snow laying on top of that. You fight a little to get your car door open, and when you do, snow from the roof of the car falls into the front seat. You start you car, and grab your scrapper. Then you sweep all the snow off to get to this pain in the ass ice layer. Then you scrape for 10 minutes trying to clean off your windscreen, and all your windows. Then you get back in your car and you sit on that snow, which is melted by now, and is just a cold dampness. Then you just sit there for a couple minutes shivering, while you wait for your car to warm up a little more. The heat still hasn't warmed up that much yet, so it's just blowing cool air, which is warmer than the air outside, but you can't tell because your fucking freezing. Then finally you get on the road, and you almost get hit about three times on your way to work because some fucktards don't know how to drive in the snow.

I'm moving to Florida or Arizona.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 06, 2010, 02:21:46 AM »
while the weather is overall pretty miserable here, it rarely snows - which is why it's awesome when it actually does.

at the moment we've got the heaviest snowfall i can remember. all public transportation is out and virtually nobody is going into work. i love that we're so ill prepared, it means i get to lay in bed playing videogames all day.