Author Topic: Kick-Ass  (Read 6727 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Kick-Ass
« on: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 02:15:27 PM »
"Kick-Ass" trailer

I've read some of the comics. They're pretty great. Hopefully the movie is good.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: Kick-Ass
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 01:23:25 PM »
Nothing?

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »
I dont really like comic book movies. This looks pretty funny though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
I don't know why you guys insist on linking trailers from that fucking Apple site.  I will never install Quicktime.  Ever.  I'd search it out on my own, but the picture they had there of that guy looks sort of annoying.  Either way, I've never heard of the comics.  This a recent thing or older?  The comics, I mean.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »
I saw a preview for this, I wasn't interested until I heard it will be rated R with graphic language and violence.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »
The comic is a couple years old. It's about a kid who decides he wants to be a super hero, so he puts on a costume and goes around trying to fight crime, but he just keeps getting his ass beat. He eventually gets pretty good. It's a neat comic, I really love the idea behind it. Hopefully it translates well into the movie.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Sounds pretty interesting.  I might have to check it out.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
I don't know why you guys insist on linking trailers from that fucking Apple site.  I will never install Quicktime.  Ever.
I don't blame you.  I was holding myself back on iTunes v7.5.0.20 and whatever version of Quicktime installs with that for a long time so that I could capture the decrypted stream of encrypted AAC files with QTFairUse, so that I could play the few songs I bought on iTunes on my Linux laptop.  On webpages using a video format that was either Quicktime only or was defaulted to Quicktime on my computer or in my browser for some reason, the control panel for Quicktime was just solid black.  I could not see the buttons or progress bar or anything.  I just chalked it up to running an old version.

After ditching Windows Vista and then Windows 7 RC and getting a retail copy of Windows 7, I installed the newest version of iTunes (9.0?) since they don't do encrypted AAC files anymore.  I thought this would probably solve my Quicktime-control-panel-is-black problem.  Nope.

Quicktime and iTunes are both garbage on Windows.  The worst thing is that there seems to be only community support available for these products too and no one really knows how to fix things.  On the Apple forums it's just a bunch of Apple fanboys that end up saying something like, "Sorry it's broke on Windows.  Get a Mac, it works on there."

As for the movie Kick-Ass, all I've seen thus far is a couple of movie posters at the theater.  I'll have to check out the trailer when I get a chance.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 06:15:42 AM »
Anyone seen this movie yet?

Looks like it got a 69 on Metacritic...so far.

Now, Ebert blasted it, giving it 1 star out of 4.

The movie's premise is that ordinary people, including a high school kid, the 11-year-old and her father, try to become superheroes in order to punish evil men. The flaw in this premise is that the little girl does become a superhero. In one scene, she faces a hallway jammed with heavily armed gangsters and shoots, stabs and kicks them all to death, while flying through the air with such power, it's enough to make Jackie Chan take out an AARP membership.
I thought that this was the film's point - was to make a 11-year-old a superhero and to try and satirize that attempt?  :o

I mean, that's what I've gotten out of the previews and reviews...

This isn't comic violence. These men, and many others in the film, are really stone-cold dead. And the 11-year-old apparently experiences no emotions about this. Many children that age would be, I dunno, affected somehow, don't you think, after killing eight or 12 men who were trying to kill her?

I know, I know. This is a satire. But a satire of what?
The movie's rated R, which means in this case that it's doubly attractive to anyone under 17. I'm not too worried about 16-year-olds here. I'm thinking of 6-year-olds.

Big Daddy and Mindy never have a chat about, you know, stuff like how when you kill people, they are really dead. This movie regards human beings like video-game targets. Kill one, and you score. They're dead, you win. When kids in the age range of this movie's home video audience are shooting one another every day in America, that kind of stops being funny.

Maybe the point of her not having any emotion is showing how desensitized to violence young-ins are due to it always being on TV, movies, video games, music, novels, comic books, graphic novels, and other forms of entertainment?

I'm just making a guess here...

Plus, who'd let their 6 year-old see this anyways?  :o
It's rated R.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
I'm gonna go see it, Tuesday. Buddy of mine from work saw it yesterday and he liked it. He's a huge movie snob, and he's never steered me wrong. So, we'll see.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »
Metacritic's review lists are majority over 70%, with the few who disliked it went way down.

I know, I know. This is a satire. But a satire of what? The movie's rated R, which means in this case that it's doubly attractive to anyone under 17. I'm not too worried about 16-year-olds here. I'm thinking of 6-year-olds.
That dude's arguments are flawed. The ovie may depict violence but it took the high road and got an R rating, instead of getting the crap edited out of it to get a Teen or PG13 rating. By this guy's logic plenty of 6-yr-olds must have watched Kill Bill or any of the Hannibal Lecter saga movies and that's the standard R-rated movies should go by: that 6-yr-olds will inevitably watch them. Man, shut da f*&$ up.

I wanna watch it despite negative reviews.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
I thought this looked kind of stupid before.  I just watched the trailer and saw Nick Cage in it.  Are you fucking kidding me?  Now it sounds like the worst movie ever.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
I thought this looked kind of stupid before.  I just watched the trailer and saw Nick Cage in it.  Are you fucking kidding me?  Now it sounds like the worst movie ever.
Haha that's part of the appeal :P

I'm curious about whether or not it'll be good or bad, if bad then how bad will it be? So bad it's entertaining? Maybe!

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 02:51:59 PM »
Yeah, it's probably just really not for me.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »
Holy shit. I fucking loved that movie. It actually made Nick Cage cool again!

That was my favorite movie this year by far. So much fun to watch. You can tell the people who worked on the movie really loved the source material. It stays fairly close to the comic, and it's really well directed. I got excited every time Big-Daddy and Hit-Girl were on screen they were so awesome to watch. There are some pacing issues here and there. But man, what a dope ass movie. Trust me, you want to see this.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
It actually made Nick Cage cool again!

A.) Bullshit

B.) Nick Cage has never been cool.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 12:37:03 AM »
Nick Cage was cool in The Rock. Granted it was Connery's cool that rubbed off on him.

Just watched Kick-Ass, it was awesome.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 06:01:17 AM »
I like Nick Cage.  Why is he uncool?

I never had any intention of watching this movie, but after those comments, I guess I have to.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 06:36:20 AM »
Before he was just okay, but was getting to be lame because of all the crappy movies he's been doing. He has an okay movie out of about every 5 or 6 that he does. In my opinion anyway.

This movie makes him awesome!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »
I never disliked him.  He's a decent actor and he's had some good roles.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #21 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »
How can you not love hillbilly mullet Cage in Con Air, I mean come one, that's a sin.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Oh, he was cool in that. I like Cage, don't get me wrong. But Like I said, he makes more crappy movies than good one. National Treasure? Bangkok Dangerous? He starts to get lame, and then he does something decent. Like Weather Man, or Big Daddy in Kick-Ass.

All you naysayers need to see it. It rocks.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
How can you not love hillbilly mullet Cage in Con Air, I mean come one, that's a sin.
"Put the bunny back in the box." Hahaha ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »
Oh, he was cool in that. I like Cage, don't get me wrong. But Like I said, he makes more crappy movies than good one. National Treasure? Bangkok Dangerous? He starts to get lame, and then he does something decent. Like Weather Man, or Big Daddy in Kick-Ass.

All you naysayers need to see it. It rocks.

Bad Lieutenant was really good. He makes Denzel in Training Day look like a freakin' Saint.
Also, I liked Cage in Adaptation.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »
Bad Lieutenant was pretty good.  I'll probably see Kick Ass when it comes out on blu ray.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, May 08, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
Holy shit. I fucking loved that movie. It actually made Nick Cage cool again!

That was my favorite movie this year by far. So much fun to watch. You can tell the people who worked on the movie really loved the source material. It stays fairly close to the comic, and it's really well directed. I got excited every time Big-Daddy and Hit-Girl were on screen they were so awesome to watch. There are some pacing issues here and there. But man, what a dope ass movie. Trust me, you want to see this.

What to add?  I would normally stop watching at the first sign of high-school stereotyping, but I'm glad I didn't.  This was an amazing ride.

Oh, and not one hint of rap.  New movie, young crowd, no rap.  That alone should earn it +1 star.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 07:40:28 PM »
Watched this a couple of nights ago and it was awesome. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 06, 2010, 08:09:25 PM »
I just got through watching it - yeah, it was pretty good. Really liked it.
Oh...and Hit-Girl was just bloody awesome. :)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 06, 2010, 09:01:42 PM »
I saw this last night.  Pretty sweet.  Cage was awesome in this and Hit-Girl was like a ninja, only better.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, August 07, 2010, 06:43:08 AM »
I saw this last night.  Pretty sweet.  Cage was awesome in this and Hit-Girl was like a ninja, only better.

Her (bad) language was pretty colorful, too - I might add...hehe.