Author Topic: The Three Types of Pain  (Read 2092 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
The Three Types of Pain
« on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 09:50:21 PM »
From all my worldly experience I've come to the conclusion that there are only really three types of pain in the world.  They are:

Physical Pain Like when you do something stupid skiing and end up landing right on a felled tree.  You're too 'tough' to admit that you just shattered your ankle, bruised a rib, knocked a tooth out, and got a concussion, so when the Ski Patrol shows up you tell them you're fine and stand up only to have terrible, terrible pain shoot through your body and you pass out when you hit the ground. 

Emotional Pain Like when your ex-girlfriend of two fucking years starts going out with one of your best friends and starts saying really weird shit to try to play you off each other, and when that doesn't work just resorts to making crazy shit up.  This doesn't go away when other people realize she's making shit up, but actually gets worse.  This can sometimes lead to physical pain when all the drama causes you to grow angry because you totally can't get away from it so you punch something hard and metallic and break your hand.

The Type of Pain You Can Only Experience When Some Dumb-Ass You Work With Shoots You in the Forearm Near The Wrist With a Pneumatically Powered Nail Gun Meant To Drive Framing Spikes Into Lumber  Today.....well, today I found out this is the worst type of pain.  It's like pain into your soul.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Re: The Three Types of Pain
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 10:14:05 PM »
Just this morning, I thought to myself, "I wish my third-least favorite person on the Internet gets shot with a nailgun."

Seriously, though, how's your arm?

Will you need surgery?

Will they amputate?

Will you get a pirate hook in its place?

Seriously, though, out of all the people on the Internet, I hate you the third most.

(IHLBCWTFTIGTHWID)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »
Wow, seeing that you hate everybody, I guess being third most hated would translate to you having a crush on gpw. 

Damnit, he gets all the ladies and the dudes.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 10:36:12 PM »
The arm is fine sort of.  It's obviously kind of fucked since there was about an inch and a half of metal in the muscle and maybe tendon for about 4 or so hours. It didn't hit the bone, so the only real concern is tendon or tissue damage if it doesn't heal properly  They were talking about surgery for a while, because the metal wire used to hold the spikes together in the stick you load the gun with essentially acts as a barb once it shears from the stick and lodges into someone.  That, compounded with the fact that they didn't seem to sure if it  hit a tendon or vein, made them not really want to pull it.  They did eventually and told me to watch for signs of it not healing properly, such as a loss of motor skills.  That's up in the air right now.  There's definitely a ton of pain when moved in certain ways and I can't twist my forearm or bend my writs a lot of ways, but that could just be the damaged muscle and/or swelling. 

Amputation is always an option if there is a bad staph infection or tetanus (although a shot was administered and antibiotics prescribed).   In that case I will probably replace the severed hand with a small chainsaw blade rather than a pirate hook.

I would like to know who these other two people are, and why you hate them more.  I need this information to learn from it.

I also don't know what that last bit of gibberish means. 

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 10:43:49 PM »
I would like to know who these other two people are, and why you hate them more.  I need this information to learn from it.
Ghandi and Keeb.

The Internet is surprisingly small, and hardly extends beyond this forum.
I also don't know what that last bit of gibberish means. 
IHLBCWTFTIGTHWID = I have long been comfortable with the fact that I'm going to hell when I die. n00b.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 10:52:05 PM »
Perhaps you would like to learn of the fourth kind of pain?

*wild karate moves*

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 10:54:11 PM »
want some fresh lemon juice with the karate moves?

adds spice ;)
Taken.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 11:00:44 PM »
Who's this Wind person?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 11:02:08 PM »
Add a little sugar to that lemon juice and we will be talkin...

The real question here, though, is who was behind the attempted assassination of gpw? Clearly things have turned sour between him and someone...

Edit: Wind is actually Matt Damon in disguise.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 11:06:18 PM »
MATT DAAAAAMON

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »
GPW can you sue someone and get some money out of this?

I am sorry you got hurt.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 06:59:25 AM »
Don't forget the I stubbed my toe and it really shouldn't hurt but I'm trying as hard as I can not to cry like a little girl on International Run Over Your Pets Day. That's an awful fake day, I'm proud of that.

also, pics. You can't get a nail through your arm and not post pics!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »
Ouch.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »
GPW can you sue someone and get some money out of this?

I am sorry you got hurt.

That's up in the air.  I'm sure if I really wanted to I might be able to, considering it was blatent negligence on the part of the guy who did it and the employer (who shouldn't have let that guy anywhere near any powertools).  That said, I was also aware that he probably shouldn't have been the one with the gun, but it had to be done at that time).  It's not something I'd ever sue over though.

I did, however, strike a deal with my boss where I'll get paid in full for whatever days I miss as well as recieve a lump sum for having to put up with it.  A small lump sum....probably a couple hundred dollars.  More than I would have gotten from Workers Compensation, less hassle, and his rates don't go up.  I'm not an idiot, however, and did make it known at the hospital that this was work related, so I can file a claim later if there turns out to be any perminant damage.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 02:50:46 PM »
Crazy stuff, hope everything turns out okay.  And I agree with Ren - pics, dude.  Especially ones with the nail still in your arm.  You *did* have the foresight to leave the nail in until you could take some, didn't you?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 03:12:58 PM »
The doctors had the foresight to leave in in there for 4 hours, but the only pic I have is shitty.  Taken with a friends Razor phone which aparently has the worst camera in the world.   The pic turned out tiny (which might just be a setting of his, who knows).  It's on my facebook.  I'm going to see if I can email myself a better one first and if not just post the tiny one.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:26:05 PM »
It couldn't have hurt that badly, you were nice enough to smile for that photo on facebook.  Sissy.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »
I have a very high tolerence for pain.  It also didn't hurt much at all until about 30 min later.  Then it ramped up over the next 3.5 hours.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
Nice do rag though.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 11:03:44 PM »
Post the pic on here please.  I don't want to go to your Facebook account, I might see naked pictures of Ren.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 11:07:58 PM »
Well, you can't go far on the internets these days without seeing naked pictures of Ren. He's been quite the slut since he turned of age.

Also, I second the motion to have the pics posted here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, September 02, 2007, 11:25:12 PM »
Thirded (is that a word?).

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野