Author Topic: No Country for Old Men  (Read 8798 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: No Country for Old Men
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 07:23:05 PM »
I wanna see this one.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 08:03:24 PM »
I've heard its more of a character driven movie than anything else.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 11:04:02 AM »
Its a Coen brothers movie, so yea, its going to be character driven which I expect it to be.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 24, 2007, 01:36:07 AM »
Well the critics love it. I am still dying to see it and the theatre in Cookeville is being closed for renovations, bah!

Offline wizall

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 04:59:21 PM »
I saw it and I loved it.  I won't get too long-winded about it, but I will say it's my favorite Coen film since The Big Lebowski.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 02:42:37 PM »
Finally got a chance to see this and it was amazing.  Simple, but also very tense, and the lack of a soundtrack makes some scenes even more powerful.  Definitely worth watching, and is probably 2007's best movie.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 04, 2008, 03:02:43 PM »
I can't wait til this comes to DVD.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »
I’m going to go against the grain here and say that I got bored with it. It’s well written and acted, and it’s in no way crap, it’s just midway way through I lost interest. The build up was great but once it all started coming apart I just didn’t find it interesting.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »
I’m going to go against the grain here and say that I got bored with it. It’s well written and acted, and it’s in no way crap, it’s just midway way through I lost interest. The build up was great but once it all started coming apart I just didn’t find it interesting.

I agree completely, I think I actually had to stop this movie, go to sleep and then wake up to finish it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 02:37:27 AM »
Watched it. Don't get it.

It was a long movie that went nowhere.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 03:45:12 AM »
I thought I commented here. I saw it a little while back, thought it was fantastic. Great dialogue and some really amazing setup and suspenseful moments.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 03:48:31 AM »

It did go somewhere, the wrong place.  I'm sorry I watched it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 05:35:46 AM »
Haha I suppose so!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 09:38:06 AM »

Oh, it went somewhere....

Ending Talk, Etc Etc.
(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Quote from: ippi
Finally got a chance to see this and it was amazing.  Simple, but also very tense, and the lack of a soundtrack makes some scenes even more powerful.  Definitely worth watching, and is probably 2007's best movie.
Yeah, I loved that there wasn't music in any of the action scenes. Hell, the only real music in the movie was the singing Mexican guys (which isn't traditional score type of music either -- cool scene, by the way) and the traditional score type of music in the end credits.

« Last Edit: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 09:21:45 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »
I understood the significance of what I watched, D.  That doesn't mean I liked it, or appreciated it at any level, including some artsy-fartsy transcendental one.  I thought it sucked through and through, performances aside.  If I want my story to be "bad guy kills people and gets away with it; good guy shakes head and leaves" the end, nothing else to see here, move along, it won't take 2 hours and a Hollywood budget to do it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #16 on: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 10:33:27 PM »
I understood the significance of what I watched, D.  That doesn't mean I liked it, or appreciated it at any level, including some artsy-fartsy transcendental one.  I thought it sucked through and through, performances aside.  If I want my story to be "bad guy kills people and gets away with it; good guy shakes head and leaves" the end, nothing else to see here, move along, it won't take 2 hours and a Hollywood budget to do it.

See thats it though, I dont want to watch a movie where the message is cut and dry and predictable and looks like it was setup. It just makes characters transparent and look stupid.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »
I understood the significance of what I watched, D.
My reply was to Xessive.

Quote from: Cobra
Obviously, you thought it went "somewhere", but you just didn't particularly care for it.

Maybe b/c you wanted more story told to you than to be shown on-screen?
Maybe you wanted less stuff implied and more stuff cemented in stone here?
Looking and wanting more depth to the story here than what was there?

Quote from: Cobra
That doesn't mean I liked it, or appreciated it at any level, including some artsy-fartsy transcendental one.  I thought it sucked through and through, performances aside.  If I want my story to be "bad guy kills people and gets away with it; good guy shakes head and leaves" the end, nothing else to see here, move along, it won't take 2 hours and a Hollywood budget to do it.
A lot of the actual story is told here through the actual visuals themselves and nothing more. A lot can be implied from what is shown on-screen -- and also what is not shown on-screen, as well. It's not really spelled out to you in dialogue, unlike most flicks.

Yeah, most films don't work that way. They'll tell you things often in dialogue. Also, most would've told you as soon as the flick begins "Texas, 1980's," setting the time and place on-screen as soon as it starts. This film instead lets you figure it out by everything else in the film (such as all the vehicles have a distinct look and the add 20-somethings years line thrown early on) that basically indicates the time and place.

Cobra, question -- did you think in your opinion the flick was too long? Was the pacing off for you at all?

Yes, I did like the film a lot -- but I dunno' if it should've been the best movie of 2007. I don't think it'll be my favorite DVD of 2008. Though, regardless, it was a very good flick, if you ask me.

EDIT:
Quote from: Pyro
See thats it though, I dont want to watch a movie where the message is cut and dry and predictable and looks like it was setup. It just makes characters transparent and look stupid.
Actually, what I expected, I didn't receive...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, March 16, 2008, 01:25:59 AM »
I understood that (just as Cobra did). I just don't think I appreciated it.

Javier Baldem is awesome though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, March 16, 2008, 07:14:47 AM »
Javier Baldem is awesome though.
Can't argue that one. :)
He was pretty awesome, to say the least.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, March 16, 2008, 10:16:47 AM »
Watched it the other night. Awesome freaking movie. Loved it.

It kept me guessing all the way through. And I actually felt scared of Anton when he was on screen. He played it so well. Great movie.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, March 16, 2008, 12:02:16 PM »

Granted, but if the story is a series of impotent events surrounding a tragedy, with no one making a difference--you know, exactly like everyday pedestrian life--I don't want to pay to sit and watch it for 2 hours.  I do that for free all the time, and it isn't my first choice then either.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, March 16, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »
You guys must keep in mind that Cobra hates movies without happy endings (or at least something he can consider a satisfactory resolution).  I know where he's coming from, though I don't necessarily share the same opinion entirely.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, March 16, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »
I do think fiction needs to follow its classic outline.  You pose your premise and develop it to a climax, which forces a resolution and conclusion.  Something extraordinary enough to write a story about needs to be happening, and these events need to be addressed and resolved one way or another.  Documentaries cover aimless reality already.  Happy endings are nice, but they are not the only valid ones.  Tragedies are commonplace in fiction as well.  Hey, I really liked 300, and that didn't finish with Leonidas prancing through the flowers with the queen.  :)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, March 16, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »
I do think fiction needs to follow its classic outline.  You pose your premise and develop it to a climax, which forces a resolution and conclusion.  Something extraordinary enough to write a story about needs to be happening, and these events need to be addressed and resolved one way or another.  Documentaries cover aimless reality already.  Happy endings are nice, but they are not the only valid ones.  Tragedies are commonplace in fiction as well.  Hey, I really liked 300, and that didn't finish with Leonidas prancing through the flowers with the queen.  :)

I think you make a very good point. I go to movies to escape from reality and make myself feel better, if I wanted to feel like shit I'd videotape and watch my own life.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #25 on: Monday, March 17, 2008, 07:26:56 AM »
Got to watch this yesterday.  Excellent film.  Anton's character reminds me a lot of Rutger Hauer in The Hitcher.  I enjoyed the good/evil overtones and I like that the movie effectively avoided any sort of predictable ending.  Anton's character was very tense and hard to watch which speaks volumes about how well he played the character.  I haven't been that tense since watching Pan's Labyrinth. 

Regardless, between this and Gangs of New York, yesterday was a good day for cinema.  I'm terribly overdue for a happy movie though.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
I just watched this and share Cobras opinion.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 15, 2008, 01:06:02 PM »
This movie was more boring than church.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
yeah - watched this one last night, and while it had all the arty stuff going for it, i thought the story was pretty poor. loads of polish and not much substance.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 11:00:09 PM »
I finally finished watching this tonight.  Around the time...

(click to show/hide)

I was left disappointed.  It was all extremely well acted, but it just didn't seem to go anywhere.  From watching some of the extras, I guess this was based on a book?  In that case you can't really blame it on the screenwriters but it's a shame that a movie that had such force halfway through concluded itself in such a manner.

EDIT by Que - just fixed your tags, scott.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 07, 2008, 11:40:50 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, November 08, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
I think for most people, when it comes down to the end of the flick....

(click to show/hide)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, November 08, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
I loved this movie and consider it the second best movie of 2007.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, November 08, 2008, 07:37:44 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

If you watch the bonus material, you find out that the movie is really about the sheriff and the fact that he simply feels "outclassed," as he says during the movie.  He sees the world changing violently in front of his eyes and feels like he just can't keep up or what to make of it, so he retires.  I find it odd that it's about the sheriff but most of the movie takes place entirely without him.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 06:15:05 AM »
I just saw this movie, and overall I really liked it. I too found the ending disappointing though.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
I just saw it for the first time. Fantastic movie.

The only weakness in the movie was the mother in law, who was surprisingly cliched.

One of my favorite scenes was when Anton walks out of the wife's house, and you are wondering whether she survived the encounter. Then, as he is standing, he lifts his feet one at a time to examine the soles of his shoes, and our mind goes back to the scene with Woody Harrelson, where he is careful not to get any blood on them, and you realize she didn't survive the encounter.

There was a lot of dark humor that I simply loved as well.

The ending was abrupt, but the fact that the story was about Tommy Lee Jones' character was set up by the opening bit, where he talks about sending that remorseless killer to jail. That, and the very title of the movie.

I didn't get the accident though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 10:52:04 AM »
The accident was pointless, like the whole movie.  Things happen; they rarely connect to each other; there is no resolution, only another day with more random events, and . . .
(click to show/hide)

As I said somewhere above, I get to experience aimless reality for free, every day, and in full-surround, real 3D.  I don't need to see it in a movie.