Author Topic: 2K Games on Steam  (Read 3403 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
2K Games on Steam
« on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 12:24:26 PM »
Damn... Steam seems to be taking off. Civ 3 and 4, Shattered Union, and Pirates!? I would be we'll see Prey and Railroads! show up eventually.

Now if only they were cheaper than retail...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: 2K Games on Steam
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 12:38:05 PM »
I would not be surprised to see the Railroads powered by STEAM!

(pun intended)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 01:07:48 PM »
Bet your ass they will use that pun when its announced.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 04:33:52 PM »
Well, it looks like Valve can once again sit on its ass while people give them money. That's not entirely bad, but it's obvious that's their strength now. I mean, shouldn't we be in episode 3 or 4 by now?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 04:59:09 PM »
Well, it looks like Valve can once again sit on its ass while people give them money. That's not entirely bad, but it's obvious that's their strength now.
Makes sense, hehe.

I mean, shouldn't we be in episode 3 or 4 by now?

Sounds about right.

If I recall, the first THREE Episodes will be what was originally supposed to actually be the HL2: Aftermath expansion pack.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »
Actually, they said EP1 is what Aftermath was going to be, it was just a name change. All 3 episodes combined are supposed to be equivalent to HL3.

Still, they are taking their sweet time with these episodes. Weren't episodic games supposed to come out faster? Look at Sin Episodes...there has been zero word on part 2. They plan on going to part 9!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »
I hate it all.  I really don't get what people like about episodic gaming.  It's all been explained to me a thousand times, but I just still don't see the appeal.  It isn't for me, that's all I can say.  And yeah, I imagine more and more shit is going to be on Steam, and I'm going to keep the fuck away from every last bit of it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 06:19:57 PM »
You know what would be an awesome type of game to have episodes for?  Shadow of the Collosus..Colossus..you know.  Think about how sweet it would be if like every second month a new 'gate' or something would open and you could travel in a new part of the constantly expanding map and fight a new huge ass Collosu...Colossu...monster.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 06:27:37 PM »
Actually, they said EP1 is what Aftermath was going to be, it was just a name change. All 3 episodes combined are supposed to be equivalent to HL3.

Still, they are taking their sweet time with these episodes. Weren't episodic games supposed to come out faster? Look at Sin Episodes...there has been zero word on part 2. They plan on going to part 9!

Yuh, all we know on Sin Ep 2 is what the trailer shows us for it, given that you finish Sin Ep 1....

Sin Ep 2 trailer looks pretty good, BTW....

So yeah -- where's Sin Episode Two, dammit????

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:46:10 PM »
I can actually see that, gpw.  That could actually be pretty sweet.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 08:25:59 PM »
I always though that having epic stories or whatever in episodic games is kind of...not the right plan. Theres too much of a break between releases, and cliffhangers suck.

That colossus idea is much better. The gameplay is pretty much the same, you just add new interesting areas and bosses.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 06:26:42 AM »
In a way, that reminds me of Shenmue.  I remember that it was supposed to have like 13 parts.  The original was part 1, and Shenmue II was parts 2 & 3.  I knew they had no chance to finish that story.

I still haven't played HL2:EP1.  Mostly it's because of Valve turning Crytek-like, and adding new technology with every release.  While HL2 ran pretty good on my PC, The Lost Coast was a bit choppy and the framerate dipped quite often.  So with new releases like EP1, I feel like it is something I should just wait until I get a new computer for.  Plus I thought The Lost Coast sucked badly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 07:07:05 AM »
In a way, that reminds me of Shenmue.  I remember that it was supposed to have like 13 parts.  The original was part 1, and Shenmue II was parts 2 & 3.  I knew they had no chance to finish that story.

I still haven't played HL2:EP1.  Mostly it's because of Valve turning Crytek-like, and adding new technology with every release.  While HL2 ran pretty good on my PC, The Lost Coast was a bit choppy and the framerate dipped quite often.  So with new releases like EP1, I feel like it is something I should just wait until I get a new computer for.  Plus I thought The Lost Coast sucked badly.
Lost Coast was more like a tech demo than anything. I dunno' why there was such a big to-do about it in previews, and all -- b/c that's all it sounded like it was going to be, in previews and all: a one-level tech demo.