Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 221606 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fallout 3 Thread - Updates: 9.6 from IGN
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 06:45:22 PM »
Main story is supposed to be around the 20 hour mark, but that's excluding sidequests and stuff.  If you try to do everything in the game, they're saying 100 hours or thereabouts.  You can beat the game very quickly, like the previous games, if you know what you're doing, and if you persistently follow the main quest you can beat it well under the max level cap.  But the game provides tons more stuff to do beyond that.

Also Pyro, I hope your anger is all directed at D and you weren't annoyed with my Gerstmann-bashing.  I think I've pissed you off with that before.  It's got nothing to do with me being a fanboy because I fully expect the game to have problems despite high critical praise, and I'm actually starting to quite like Giant Bomb on the whole and I think everyone, including Jeff, have done a pretty fantastic job with it... Jeff just rubs me the wrong way when it comes to reviewing.  I really don't think he's capable of looking objectively at games and disseminating that information to his readership.  I also hate how the comments on GB are often full of stupid little teenage douchebags who just want to say "great review Jeff/Brad/Ryan!" because they want the staff to know how cool they are because they agree with them and lavish them with praise.  That really pisses me off.  Leave a comment worth reading or shut the fuck up.  Jeez.

Anyway... my game was waiting for me when I got home tonight.  It just finished installing about 10 seconds ago, so I'm outta' here for a while.  I'll report back soon, hopefully with screenshots and a journal of whatever character design I decide to go with.

In fact, we should all totally do that.  Ala the last dev diary, which was really quite funny and worth a read.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »
Any word on length? I'm still debating wether or not I should pick this up.
The main quest is anywhere from 12-15 hours, I've read in reviews. I've barely been sticking to the main quest, since I got out of The Vault 101. Yes, I got this game today -- CC didn't get FO3: CE in for the PC, so I flew over to BB and spent outdoors for The CE.

So, I'm 5 hours and 50 minutes into this, according to my last game saves. I finally decided to take a little bit of a break for this one. I had to tear myself away from this just to write this post. Yeah, my eyes are fried -- and I need a break.

Got the game running on 1024x768 -- most stuff on Medium or High, which is what the game configured it at itself. Had no problems with this game, technically or anything. The game is incredibly detailed and gorgeous. Draw distance is insane. God, The Wastelands just have never looked this good before.

VATS is awesome. Nothing's more satisfying than making a few called shots and then watching a bloody mess of a death in dramatic cinematic style -- whether you use a knife to ginsu someone's arm off or blow a head off with a gun from a distance. It's grotesquely violent; absolutely beautiful music to my ears.

In combat, I find myself mucking around a lot. Maybe start with a few shots in VATS, then make a real-time kill. Maybe do some real-time shooting, then jump into VATS to make some called shots to hopefully end the battle off. I find myself very satisfied with combat, whether I'm using VATS or even using real-time. Sometimes action gets so frantic in real-time and I'm so into it, I just don't even get the chance to click on VATS.

I find myself managing inventory all the time, since just about everybody you kill drops whatever loot they have in their Inventory (a la Oblivion) -- especially since your weapons and armor do get weaker and stuff. If I make a kill in combat, I see myself often taking their gear if it's better and wear that. I find myself getting taking loot and dropping lots of loot I had in the gameworld.

I find myself sticking mostly with first-person view. Sure, I might jump out for third-person mode for a bit, which is a hell of a lot better than it was in Oblivion since there's a crosshair on-screen. So, that solves all my problems there that I had with Oblivion.

Yeah, I wandered into the school, too. Before I went towards Megaton. All filled with raiders. Great action in there -- and great way to try out combat -- real-time and VATS. I also wandered my way into a Super-Mart, which was also filled with bandits and whatnot. Again, more great combat to be had in there.

Megaton -- Sheriff Simms & Mister Burke Quest **Spoilers**
(click to show/hide)
**End Spoilers**

I should note this -- signing yourself into G4WL to do Achievements and stuff for your profile; these saves profiles are different from your offline save profiles. Like GoW PC, your offline profile and G4WL will be different -- so if you sign in as your G4WL account, you'll have one profile for saves. Don't sign into G4WL, you'll have a totally different profile for saves. Right, so you can't upload your saves from G4WL to offline or vice versa.

So far, it's pretty awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »
I've only played for a couple of hours so far, but I'm loving it.  However, it's exactly like every other Bethesda game to come before it: looks beautiful in screens, animates like an ugly son of a bitch.  However, the VATS mode is the exception.  The camera angles can be a bit off at times, but the attack animations look really good from what I've seen so far, and even with a little clipping and wonkiness here and there, it turned out to look more consistently cool than I expected from Bethsoft.  I think they nailed that.

The big difference here I think is in how good the interiors look and how much detail went into everything.  Models and animations aside (and some pretty fugly low-res textures), the lighting is infinitely better and you get a real sense of scene out of a lot of places.  Walking around a lot of interiors is a great experience, and everything is far more dynamic now than it used to be (you get a real sense of invasive night and day, with lights coming on and off, interiors changing, etc.).

Anyway, it's really cool and I'm totally digging it.  You can't in any way call this "Oblivion with guns" and expect for me to take you seriously.  The game is only like Oblivion because the engine is the same, it's still in first person, and Bethesda's models and animations are always going to look a little funny.  Otherwise, no resemblance.  This is a much, much better game from what I can tell.  It's tighter, more refined, the systems make more sense, and it's got openness without sacrificing that to balance.  I think we have a winner.

Granted, I'm only saying this after a little time with the game, but I've played almost every game these guys have ever produced.  I think I can see where things are going from what I've played thus far.  They're nothing if not consistent.

EDIT - Oh, I forgot to add that I've got everything on ridiculously ultra-high with like 2xAA and 7xAF at 1280x1024, and there's no slowdown or stuttering of any kind.  This game runs much, much better than Oblivion.  Unfortunately, I've had 2 crash bugs since I started playing.  One was random after I died and not a big deal, and the other was after I'd alt-tabbed out and tried to go back in.  That one may have been my fault.  Overall I'd say things seem more stable, though.  It seems to read the disk less obsessively and data seems to process much faster in general.  Also, I fucking love the way they did the main menu.  It sounds like a stupid thing to say, but it's really cool.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 12:56:46 AM »
Great review Que!

*Xessive agrees with Que and lavishes him with praise.

:P

But seriously...

I'm still waiting for this to arrive here. I'm expecting it to be another one of Beth's titles that shines despite the minor flaws and occasional wonky moments. That last dev diary got me excited about how I'm gonna go about making my character.

Can't wait to see this in action and immerse myself in a post-nuclear wasteland with guns, perks, and a mad passion for stealth kills.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 02:57:17 AM »
I love this game so hard.  I'm probably five and a half hours in now, I'd guess, and I've done all kinds of stuff and been all over the place.  Things are more thoughtful in this game for sure, and everything feels more intentional and less random.

Personally, I'd recommend playing the game on hard.  I'm having just about the perfect balance right now I think, and if I were playing on normal I suspect it would be disappointing.  Hit percentages are fairly decent with most weapons it seems, but the damage you do is based on how high your skill with an individual weapon is.  So you can generally hit pretty well using VATS even with low skill, but it'll take you a good while to put a decently armored target down.  And your aiming outside of VATS will be a lot more variable with small guns and such (though it's hard to miss with a sawed-off shotgun).  There have been times when combat felt a little too easy, or like I was able to "cheat" a little, but for the most part it's actually been just right.  I haven't been able to abused all that much stuff, VATS only works to a certain degree because of my low proficiency with weapons in general right now, and it's enough to scrape by while wasting huge amounts of ammo and generally feeling pretty tense about where the next stockpile is going to come from.

Anyway, it's almost 3AM so I need sleep.  Will report more tomorrow.  But this game fucking owns, and if you aren't an idiot with no taste, you should go buy it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 05:26:44 AM »
GameSpot Review
9.0 for PC and X360 versions of FO3.

8.5 on the PS3 for Fallout 3, which they've had some framerate performance issues, graphics issues, and the graphics just ain't as good as the other two version. Oh, PS3 version don't have Achievements, whereas the PC and X360 version do (with Games For Windows Live and XBox Live).

Video review
Written review

It's a shame, in light of these impressive design elements, that the PlayStation 3 version is shockingly inferior to the others from a technical perspective. Although the Xbox 360 and PC versions display the occasional visual oddity and bland texture, these nitpicks are easy to overlook. Sadly, the jagged edges, washed-out lighting, and slightly diminished draw distance of the PS3 release aren't so easy to dismiss. We also experienced a number of visual bugs on the PS3. Character faces disappeared several times, leaving only eyeballs and hair; limbs on robots went missing; some character models had an odd outline around them as if they were cel-shaded; and the day-to-night transition may cause odd streaks on the screen as you move the camera around. This version doesn't even offer trophies, whereas the Xbox 360 and PC versions offer Xbox Live/Windows Live achievements.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 05:44:29 AM »
Securom Disc Check Solutions for FO3 PC
This thread here on BethSoft's site for those having issues with getting the game to boot.

Emulation Software issue
This is for those w/ Securom issues with the disc check that have issues w/ BethSoft's DVD-check via Securom 7.xxxx b/c it detected Emulation Software (i.e. Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120) and you did remove those emulation software.

Securom have put up instructions and a patch for your FO3 PC game on their website to drop the issue. Follows instructions to get it going.

Also, if it recommended that if you have no problems at all, DO NOT install this patch period.

Roxio issues
Another thing -- for those who have Roxio installed, do not let the Drag and Drop feature run in the background. Disabling that and/or booting the PC back up without that feature running in the background should get the game going.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 07:30:31 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »
Man, that's a shame to hear.  I didn't realize they were using SecuROM.  In a bunch of interviews I thought Pete Hines said all they were doing is a CD check?  Maybe he just meant that all they're doing is a CD check using SecuROM.  Which is kind of shitty.  I don't know, but that rubs me the wrong way.  Kind of a lot.

No problems on my end, anyway.  I don't have Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% going right now, but I do have a few virtual drive tools (I think PowerISO and some other stuff) which didn't appear to cause any problems.  Still, that's disappointing.

I've heard about the issues with the PS3 version as well, which is really a shame.  It seems to vary depending on who you talk to, though.  Some places have reported that it's really quite inferior, while some others have indicated that it's no big deal and you should just stop your whining and play the game because it's just as good.  So I don't really know why that is.  Maybe it really isn't that bad and it just bugs some people more than others?  It does seem a shame that there's any difference at all, especially since Todd Howard stated on numerous occasions that there were no appreciable differences between the console versions.  Either way, it seems like whatever lessons they learned porting Oblivion didn't carry over so well.  That's a disappointment.  The performance for FO3 is so much better for me on PC than it was for Oblivion, it doesn't seem to make sense that they fudged the framerate and stuff on PS3.  Shouldn't it be running better than Oblivion does on the system?  And as far as I know that's a really good port.

Anyway, disappointing to have that stuff tarnish what's a really fantastic game.  It would have been much better for them to push that version back and polish it if the problems are so noticeable.  PS3 is already getting shafted due to the lack of DLC, a release date pushed a bit further back would hardly seem like any more of a snub.  I wonder if any of this can be rectified via a patch.  I sincerely hope so.  There have been patches for 360 games in the past, and the PS3 has a hard drive stock standard, so it would make a lot more sense to see it happen here.  I think PS3 users should put out the call to get some of this stuff fixed if it's really as bad as a few people seem to think it is.  There's no reason they can't patch it.

In parting, before I go back to play for another jillion hours, I have this to say to those who don't think this is a proper Fallout game: go fuck yourself.

Quote from: IRC
<@Que|Fallout3> The NMA guys can go drown themselves in a bathtub of hot gasoline.  This game is amazing, and if they don't want to play it, that's their own fucking problem.  The game is far from perfect, but if you were to give me a choice between the old and new, I guarantee you I'd take this every time.  The essence of Fallout is completely intact, and while the gameplay is obviously different, the feel of it ends up being much the same.
<@Que|Fallout3> I'm going through the same feelings when looking at the imagery, when exploring the dungeon areas, when interacting with at least certain NPCs who seem reminiscent of those from the past games, and especially the balance of healing and stat boosting items to ammo to guns during combat, and the way combat encounters reward you with such stuff while depleting certain supplies.
<@Que|Fallout3> The game is remarkably more accurate to the original experience than I'd have expected.  I could be more pleased if Bethesda was simply more competent at animating characters and with some of that minor technical stuff, but that's the only thing that could stand improvement, and it's a nitpick at best.  Mechanically, this game is a fantastic translation of one gameplay form to another.  It could imbalance later on, I suppose, but as of right now, I say these guys deserve an award or something.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »
Anyone found any books to read yet? I see books everywhere, but I can't read them. Small burned books and such. Are there only certain ones you can read?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »
Man, that's a shame to hear.  I didn't realize they were using SecuROM.  In a bunch of interviews I thought Pete Hines said all they were doing is a CD check?  Maybe he just meant that all they're doing is a CD check using SecuROM.  Which is kind of shitty.  I don't know, but that rubs me the wrong way.  Kind of a lot.

It's just Securom for the DVD disc check, as far as I know -- which is what they used on Oblivion: GOTY Edition.
I mean, I didn't connect to the Net to activate with a serial code or anything.
Put the disc it, it booted.

Ain't heard anything on install limit issues of the sort.
Doubt it, since it don't connect to the Net.

I can deal w/ old school style Securom with just a disc check.
It's the Internet version that always gave me issues.

No problems on my end, anyway.  I don't have Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% going right now, but I do have a few virtual drive tools (I think PowerISO and some other stuff) which didn't appear to cause any problems.  Still, that's disappointing.
No issues on my end.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 11:25:25 AM »
Well I was on my way to buy this before I read the stuff about the PS3. Now I'm hesitant.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »
Get it for PC.

If you had Oblivion and it ran well, it's going to run F3.

Anyone using the Live thing on the PC version, so you can unlock achievements?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »
Even if my PC worked it wouldn't run it. I might get it for PS3 anyways. You bastards are really making me want it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »
From what I understand the game isn't broken on PS3, just slightly less pretty and with a few graphical glitches here and there.  That's at worst, because some people seem to think it isn't even as big a deal as that.  *Shrug*  It's hard to say, but if you aren't doing a side-by-side comparison, I doubt it makes enough difference to mar the experience in any lasting way.

And Scary, you can find books to read, but the burned ones are worthless.  When you put the readable ones in your inventory, I think they show up under the "aid" tab.

As for Live... meh.  I don't really give a shit about achievements.  I'll settle for not dealing with the Live bullshit in exchange for the lack of achievements, especially since I'd probably end up getting a lot of them without actually trying for them anyway, and if I want to go for the achievement, I can just look up what it is and then go do it.  I don't really need a magical icon to tell me I did it, and "Gamer Scores" are for idiots and children.  Achievements for me are about the fun of doing them, not getting a merit badge.

And MyD, the game doesn't do anything other than a CD check, except obviously for checking on emulation software which we now discovered.  I just wasn't aware it was SecuROM doing the checking is all.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
Sorry, I know this is an unpopular view, given the increase of PS3 users here, but it doesn't surprise me that the PS3 version has more issues.  It's not that it can't be made to run perfectly well.  It's a matter of time and developer experience.  The PC and 360 are closely related, familiar animals, while the PS3 is a newly discovered species.  If schedules are to be met, unless they're padded to begin with by delaying across all platforms, some issues will remain, hopefully to be addressed in patches.  Criterion found the perfect way to avoid this, with the PS3 as their lead development platform for Burnout Paradise, though both versions were concurrently developed.  This is a technically exceptional developer, however.  Bethesda is not quite in the same class, and their roots are firmly into the PC.

Edit:  So let me see if I have this straight.  The PC version requires that you uninstall programs like Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools?  Or is that requirement getting patched away?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »
It seems to be that you just have to make sure the programs and their services aren't running when you try to install.  It doesn't require an uninstall, just an intelligent reboot.  The patch is for people who are having trouble with SecuROM while running the game.  Basically you just grab an updated version of the launcher and it should work okay.  So it isn't so bad.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 02:41:49 PM »
So, what level are you guys thus far?

« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 03:03:10 PM by ScaryTooth »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #257 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »
I'm installing. And I'm broke. Damn you all.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 03:07:27 PM »
Nice! It's dope as shit.

So, I just got the bloody mess perk. It's awesome. It's just slightly more ludicrous than the regular violence. It's sweet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
If I roll up all the change I have laying around this room . . . hmm . . .

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #260 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »
So I got to the G.O.A.T. test and nothing is happening. I'm just sitting here. I'm assuming this is a glitch or something because the only thing I can do is look around and pause the game. Son of a bitch.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »
Not a glitch.  Just... get up.  It doesn't automatically get you out of your seat.  Then turn it into the teacher.

I'll post this now so you have an answer, then edit because I was going to type some more stuff.

EDIT - I'm at level 5, Scary.  Or maybe 6?  I'm actually not too sure.  It might be 6 now.  I went with Speech, Repair, and Energy Weapons as my primaries, and I've leveled up my Lockpick skill just enough (25) so I can attempt to pick the "Easy" locks (I guess you can do "Very Easy" regardless of level?  hardly any of those, though).  I've done a few quests now, but I'm discovering this isn't at all like most RPGs where you get a bunch of quests and can finish them quickly.  All the ones I've gotten so far have been somewhat protracted, in a good way.  Some of the groups of people and NPCs in this game are seriously whacko, but it's really entertaining stuff.  Exploring is so much effing fun, too.  There's just so much out there to see and do, and it feels so much more cohesive and believable compared to Oblivion.

In response to my earlier comments about how the game really feels like Fallout to me despite gameplay changes, I still feel that way.  The one big thing that seems really off is that when you sleep, even if you only sleep for an hour your HP rockets right back up to full, and that's nothing like the previous games, where it took weeks to heal at times.  Of course the distinction is completely arbitrary since time is just sort of passing while you sit there and watch the numbers count down anyway, so... seriously, who cares?

Also, I think the game is way funnier than I was lead to believe.  It isn't quite as hamfisted as the first two (particularly FO2), but I think it's almost on par with the first.  It's a little more straightlaced, but not nearly as bleak and realistic as I was expecting.  I've laughed at tons of stuff and I think the humor is really there, it just isn't thrown right up in the dialogue all the time (except with some of the responses they let you give, some of which can be pretty hilarious).  I dunno'.  Either way, I've been frequently amused.

EDIT x2 - Oh, and I just got my 3rd crash to desktop since I began playing, but given Bethesda's prior track record, I still think this game is remarkably stable.  The game only crashed on its own (i.e. not when alt+tabbing) twice, both of which happened after I died.  But since the game loads up fairly quick and saved games load super-duper fast, I'm not annoyed by this at all.  I've spent far less time staring at loading screens with this game than many other recent titles, so I'm happy.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 04:39:20 PM »
The problem was that the test never came up at all. It wasnt triggered. In any case, I skipped it the second time and just filled out the results. Went small arms, sneak and repair.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #263 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
Oh sorry, I thought I read that as "I finished the GOAT test and nothing is happening".  Whoops.  Too bad... the test is actually pretty funny.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »
So, I'm just about done midterms and I take it I HAVE to buy this right?  Damn it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 05:13:43 PM »
"Have to" is still relative, since taste will still play a large role in this.  But I think it's wrong to say that if you didn't like Oblivion you wouldn't like this.  There are similarities, but I think this one is... well, I wouldn't say "more accessible", because it's got a pretty old-school kind of feel to it.  But it's a better game with less frustrations.  And is pure awesome.  Much like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., though, you kind of have to get into it to get it.  Just sitting down for an hour won't necessarily show you why it's so great.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
I just got, Dogmeat. I just kind of stumbled upon him, heh.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
So do enemies spot you easier when you have the flashlight on? I can't tell.

I started on hard but decided to bump it up to very hard. At least early on after exiting the 101 the enemies don't seem too difficult.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »
I wanted to blow up the first town, but didn't have the ability. I talked to that one dude but didn't go the right path so he was no help. Grrr. idol want big boom. Except I do sorta like the people in the town, and I need to pay off that one asshole so I can find out where my father went.

So I then took off to deliver the letter for that chick. Had to fight a couple dogs along the way and avoid some mutants. I got too close to the water and this crabman attacked me. There was no way I was going to win so I hightailed it. More mutants and that crab guy was persistent. I reached the town on a bridge around morning.

Then I had to go eat. Damn good game so far, even if I haven't really done a whole lot.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »
Wanting Info On Daddy From Megaton's Colin Quest - ***Mini-Spoilers***
(click to show/hide)
*******END Mini-SPOILERS*********

So I then took off to deliver the letter for that chick. Had to fight a couple dogs along the way and avoid some mutants. I got too close to the water and this crabman attacked me. There was no way I was going to win so I hightailed it. More mutants and that crab guy was persistent. I reached the town on a bridge around morning.
I've done "part" of that quest for the girl.

I done a lot of world exploring, more than anything else -- which is something I did heavily with Morrowind.

I did the AntAgonizer-Machinist quest, which was excellent. I love the whole theme behind that quest.

AntAgonoizer/Machinist Quest -- ***Mini-Spoilers***
(click to show/hide)
******End mini-spoilers******

What are some of the perks you've taken, guys?

I've taken on so far Thief and Lady Killer. I forgot the others I took on, so far. I think I took Educated.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
I didn't realize you had the game already, idol.  Awesome.

I forget which perks I took.  Several of the one that just gives you extra SPECIAL points to spend.  I think I have 2 levels of that.  Then I got Lady Killer (which has been funny and useful) and... uh... shit, I forget the last one I took.  I think it was the one that gave me an extra +5 Speech and something else.  I know the next one I'm getting: the one that makes the animals my friends.

I completed the quest to deliver the letter for the girl, I started a sort of ongoing non-quest to deliver certain items to a guy for cash, and I've done a surprising amount of exploration that feels remarkably questy in and of itself just because of the way the game mechanics work... much like previous Fallout games, except better because it's easier to just go off and hoof it to see what's out there.  I did a couple dungeons which served no purpose but which were very compelling, and yet contain mysteries that I have no way of discovering.  There may be a way to figure out more later in the game, or it may simply be that I can't continue because of my character's strengths and weaknesses.  So I haven't finished any other quests yet, but I have about 5 to choose from just at the moment, so I'll be trying to decide which to start on now.

Part of the reason I haven't gotten further quest-wise is because I've only fast traveled in the game a total of... twice.  I just keep running around from place to place because I have these ideas in mind of how it will play out, but when a monkey wrench gets thrown into my plans or a new wrinkle comes up, I end up getting sidetracked and these long, crazy adventures ensue which keep me from doing what I'd planned to do.  So I now have something of a nemesis I plan to return to fight later, a ton of places to explore that I haven't been able to, a couple half-finished dungeons, and some crazy stories about awesome stuff that I ran across.  I love this game so much.

There's so much stuff I'd post here but I don't want to spoil it for you guys.  At least 4 obscenely cool, totally unique things happened to me during my major session earlier today, and all of it just while I was wandering through the wilderness.  This game is just packed.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 08:08:26 PM »
I'm having a blast as well. I tend to do  a quest that has to do with the main story, then I go off, and do a couple side quests. I just Hit level 8 I think.

As for skills, I took Small Guns, Science, and Repair. I haven't really used the latter two much at all really. Which kind of bugs me. Science seems like it's starting to come into play more, running across certain terminals that you can't access and such unless you have a high science skill. I haven't really repaired anything actually. I just use weapons that I come across. Replace them with drops and things every now and again, but I really haven't used the skill much.

Has anyone recruited anyone yet to help them out. I kind of want to, but I haven't figured out how really. My speech skills are really low, and I think that may be a factor. I did get Dogmeat though, heh. He's bad ass. I keep worrying about him dying though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
I haven't recruited anyone.

I tried to recruit someone, but my Karma of being a "goody two-shoes" was cited on-screen as why he refused.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »
I love being a complete asshole with everything I say. It doesn't get me friends, but I have an image to uphold.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 08:31:47 PM »
I've been trying to find something better than the armored vault suit forever now, but I have yet to do it. Anyone replace it yet? I finally just replaced that goofy ass looking Motorcycle Helmet.

Oh well, I'll have to continue tomorrow. Later folks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »
I've used some of the Raiders stuff, for the most part --  seem of those seem to have a good DR.

I got one really cool unique outfit/armor, from completing a certain quest a certain way...

**HINT on what quest that was***
(click to show/hide)
**END HINT****

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »
Just so you know, nukes are really impressive to see. Just for the hell of it I did a little sidetrack character just to nuke Megaton.
(click to show/hide)

No Scary, havent really found a replacement set of armor yet. I haven't replaced my baseball bat either.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 08:43:32 PM »
Idol, y'know, something I'm wonderin'...

**Megaton Nuke Quest***
**SPOILERS***
(click to show/hide)
***END SPOILERS***

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »
I've been trying to find something better than the armored vault suit forever now, but I have yet to do it. Anyone replace it yet? I finally just replaced that goofy ass looking Motorcycle Helmet.

Oh well, I'll have to continue tomorrow. Later folks.

I killed a guy in the subway during the letter mission that had armor of DR20. Haven't found anything better without killing soemone, though

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 10:00:22 PM »
Idol, y'know, something I'm wonderin'...

**Megaton Nuke Quest***
**SPOILERS***
(click to show/hide)
***END SPOILERS***

::)