Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 221592 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 Thread - Updates: 9.6 from IGN
« Reply #360 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 04:37:48 PM »
Yeah, I ran into that. I started with an offline account and just for the hell of it decided to try out the GFWL stuff. Good thing you can copy your saves around.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #361 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »
Anyone pick up the "Mysterious Stranger" perk? It's kind of cool, but I'm not sure that I like it, it almost feels like cheating or something. Although it's nice when you are in the middle of a big fight, low on health, and he suddenly pops in and owns something.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #362 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »
I'm on level 8 and tried to be reasonable with my perks.  In the end,  think I ended up wasting at least four of them.  I got three levels of the perk which helps you gain XP faster (this was before I found out about the cap), and the bloody mess perk.  I kind of wish I had put those into whatever perk it is that lets you add to your SPECIAL points, because each INT point = 1 extra skill point at level up.  Whatever.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #363 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »
Whats up bitches?

I just felt like saying hi. I got fallout 3 too and I am loving it. My biggest problem with this game is that I want to do everything so my character is turning into a shitty jack of all trades master of none.

Also, I got it for ps3. I'm really not having a problem with the framerate or anything like that. The graphics are gorgeous. My problem is that every time I get a notification the game freezes for a few seconds. Its annoying as hell. Also, I don't play a lot of shooters on consoles so when my ap runs out I end up shooting blindly and wasting tons of ammo.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #364 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
You can use intelligence for other things (dialogue choices and stuff at times), and it also contributes to firing energy weapons, I think.  It's not like that's all it gives you.  As for the XP thing... I'd agree, depending on whether or not you plan to spend 60-70 hours with the game.  If not, you'll simply get closer to the cap by the time you finish the game.  If you wanted to really get out there and see and do a whole ton of side stuff and approach those 50+ hour marks, then yeah, maybe that wasn't the best decision.

Also, I got Mysterious Stranger.  I love it.  It hardly feels like cheating... you get no persistent benefits of any kind, you just occasionally get what more or less amounts to a sure-fire kill.  It's less useful than a lot of the other ones, I think, just kind of more fun.

Also, heya Schlotz!  Long time no type.  What's up man?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #365 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 02:26:36 AM »
So it appears I have beaten the game. I wasn't anywhere close to max level, just sorta got on the main storyline and it went by pretty quick. Which is ok, I guess. Now I know what I can avoid in the future so I can just wander the wasteland. I had a crapload of quests to do still, I barely explored the west and north sides of the map. Theres plenty to see and do on my next dude.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #366 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 07:27:39 AM »
Yeah, it's a little bit of a shame you can't just keep going, but the prior games did have actual endings, so they wanted to stick with that instead of going the Elder Scrolls route and just letting you go on and on.  That's the beauty though... this game is so replayable, if you miss anything you can just roll a new jerk, then start with whatever it was you missed on your last play.

My question to you is: did you hate the ending?  I know it's sort of dynamic, but I assume the main story has an ending to it alongside everything else.  A ton of people where complaining about how horrible it was and condemned Bethesda to hell for it, but obviously didn't give specifics... and yet most critics have said the game has a good story.  So I'm curious.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #367 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 09:47:25 AM »
I didn't hate the ending. It wasn't bad, its just sort of a "the end of a long journey" type thing instead of some epic moment and a Cole Train rap, you know? The stuff leading up to the ending is pretty cool, though. There are also several choices to make right at the end. If you can see it coming, you can save and try out a couple variations.

Ok, so I'm going to make some spoilers here. The first is where NOT to go if you don't want to be put on the fast track to the end.
(click to show/hide)

However, you can do stuff leading up to that point.
(click to show/hide)
After that you can stop and go do other things.

Ok, some big ending spoilers here. Do not read unless you want to know the ending.
(click to show/hide)

So yeah, good times. I don't know if I'm going to go back to an earlier save and continue doing all my sidequests or if I should make a new character. Or if I should take a break from FO3 and play something else and go back later. We shall see.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #368 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 02:51:54 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #369 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 08:10:04 PM »
Good to know, idol.

And I look forward to this patch, though there isn't much "today" left.  They better hurry.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #370 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »
I think they said in the forum that the patch will be out sometime "this week" and its mainly fixing crash bugs.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #371 on: Wednesday, November 05, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #372 on: Wednesday, November 05, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »
That was pretty dope.

I didn't have any time to play it today, but I'm going to dive into tomorrow as soon as I get off work.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fallout 3 Thread - 9.6 from IGN, Que does Classic Music Mod
« Reply #373 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 01:53:59 AM »
So I have a little surprise for you guys: a Fallout 3 Classic Music Mod.  It weighs in about 44MB and basically replaces some of the low spots in FO3's soundtrack with music from FO1 and FO2.  I actually worked quite hard at outlining the project and balancing it as best I could, and after playing with several different track collections for a few hours, this I think is the best of FO3's OST and stuff from the first games.  The original music is really good, and it's amazing how well it fits in with FO3.  I think having it pick up some of the slack is a huge improvement that really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Anyway, I'm a little nervous about posting it because I don't know if Interplay would get mad.  I'd planned to throw it on FileFront and that kind of deal, but I'm unsure now.  What do you guys think?

At the very least, here it is for you guys.  Hope it enhances your experience as much as it has mine.

The Fallout 3 Classic Music Mod

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #374 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 04:06:23 AM »
I think you're safe Que. Worst case, if Interplay don't like it they can send a "cease & desist."

Hit it up on Fallout Nexus!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #375 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »
FO3 Sales
Fallout 3 sold a total of 4.7 million copies last week alone across all of its platforms (PC, X360 and PS3).
Profit of $300 million made.

Patch 1.0.015 Released
Here's where you can get Patch 1.0.015 for FO3

4. Update 1.0.0.15 Notes

Bug Fixes

Fixed occasional crashes when exiting the game or using Alt F4 to exit.

Fixed crashes when using Alt-Tab while binks or credits were playing.

The game now restarts properly after title updates finish installing.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 03:04:18 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #376 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 04:21:19 PM »
FINALLY GOT IT!

I had to special order it from a private shop! I wound up with the US version too! Don't think there's much difference anyway.

Going off on my adventure.

Btw, small but negligble issue: regarding Live, the game never prompted me for a the CD key during installation and when I launch the game it doesn't bring it up either. Clicking on LIVE in the main menu brings it up but it tells me I have no registered a legitimate key. Any ideas?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #377 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 06:55:52 PM »
Ok, some big ending spoilers here. Do not read unless you want to know the ending.
(click to show/hide)

So yeah, good times. I don't know if I'm going to go back to an earlier save and continue doing all my sidequests or if I should make a new character. Or if I should take a break from FO3 and play something else and go back later. We shall see.

Game Ending Talk -- SPOILERS
**Idol, I got something directed at you in here***
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #378 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »
So far so good. I'm loving it.

I am experiencing one weird sound bug though. I hear NPC voices normally but when I'm in a conversation they suddenly go mute. Their mouths move and all but there's no sound. I also can't hear any radio stations or any audio notes I find. No solution or workaround on the official forums yet.

I'm gonna try bringing my sound acceleration to basic in dxdiag/hardware properties. I hope it helps.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #379 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
I also hate how the comments on GB are often full of stupid little teenage douchebags who just want to say "great review Jeff/Brad/Ryan!" because they want the staff to know how cool they are because they agree with them and lavish them with praise.  That really pisses me off.  Leave a comment worth reading or shut the fuck up.  Jeez.

Yea, that shit is really annoying, but its also exactly what exists here in a smaller degree. I totally respect your opinions but when some people just kind of hide behind it while not forming one of their own infuriates me to no end.

The Gerstmann bashing I can understand... somethings about the review I could disagree with, like his complaints with the inventory system. The saving problem I can sympathize for him though as the same thing happened to me in Bioshock and it left me rather peeved and its something I wouldnt totally dismiss. Or even in the quest towards the beginning of Oblivion which I found totally fucking broken and frustrated me to no end. There may be some work around to the problems that wasnt apart of the design, but the fact it was apart of the design can be worth mentioning.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #380 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 10:13:02 PM »
Yeah.  I still respect Jeff, but more in the sense that I think it'd be interesting to sit down and have a conversation with him, not because I tend to agree much with what he writes.  And true, I know what you mean about how some of that kind of aforementioned stuff exists here to some degree as well... but we aren't writing reviews, so while it might be a little obnoxious from time to time, at least it isn't getting out to a large reading public.  I guess it isn't something that one can control, anyway, so it's not like I hold it against any of the GB guys.  I just wish some of their readers weren't so stupid.

I still don't understand the save problem.  The simple solution is to not rely on autosaves.  I don't think any game with autosaves intend those to be used as a primary save system.  They aren't reliable that way.  They're just good as emergency "Oh snap!" backups in some instances, or at least that's how I've always treated them.  I guess maybe I don't get it because I'm a total self-admitted save whore.

I think it's at times hard to qualify games like Oblivion since they're so huge and there are so many variables.  Sometimes the variables just add up to something shitty instead of greatness, even if they tend to more often veer toward greatness.  I think this is much less of a problem in Fallout 3, though.  The game is more structured and better developed on the whole.  I can honestly say I haven't loved a game this much in a long, long time.  Not perfect, especially on the technical side, but compelling just the same way the first ones were, at least to me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #381 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »
Argh, had my first BSOD with FO3.. I tried to start a long-range VATS and BAM! System shutdown right after the deadly blue.

1 crash in a 5 hour run.. Not too bad actually.. A lot less than what people on the forums make it seem like. At least it runs beautifully when it is running.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #382 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 10:56:11 PM »
BSOD is not good at all, though.  That means the video driver is crashing.  App-level code can't bring down an NT-core OS.

Edit:  It could conceivably be the audio driver instead.  I think video is more likely.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #383 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 11:32:36 PM »
Argh, had my first BSOD with FO3.. I tried to start a long-range VATS and BAM! System shutdown right after the deadly blue.

1 crash in a 5 hour run.. Not too bad actually.. A lot less than what people on the forums make it seem like. At least it runs beautifully when it is running.

I hit that as well once.  Vats also slowed down all crazy like for me either right before, or when I loaded up the game.  That was a rough night.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #384 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »
BSOD is not good at all, though.  That means the video driver is crashing.  App-level code can't bring down an NT-core OS.

Edit:  It could conceivably be the audio driver instead.  I think video is more likely.
A few people have reported issues and framrate drops with Nvidia 180.43 Beta driver, which I currently have installed as it fixes a lot of issues with Far Cry 2. That could very well be the culprit since the crash happened when the shader effect of VATS was starting up.

There's definitely a sound bug as well, but I managed to work-around that by bringing down my audio hardware acceleration to Basic in DxDiag.

The launcher autodetects my system config as high, I wouldn't mind bringing the settings down a bit if it ensures no crashes, though the game is running beautifully.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #385 on: Thursday, November 06, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
Yeah.  I still respect Jeff, but more in the sense that I think it'd be interesting to sit down and have a conversation with him, not because I tend to agree much with what he writes.  And true, I know what you mean about how some of that kind of aforementioned stuff exists here to some degree as well... but we aren't writing reviews, so while it might be a little obnoxious from time to time, at least it isn't getting out to a large reading public.  I guess it isn't something that one can control, anyway, so it's not like I hold it against any of the GB guys.  I just wish some of their readers weren't so stupid.

I still don't understand the save problem.  The simple solution is to not rely on autosaves.  I don't think any game with autosaves intend those to be used as a primary save system.  They aren't reliable that way.  They're just good as emergency "Oh snap!" backups in some instances, or at least that's how I've always treated them.  I guess maybe I don't get it because I'm a total self-admitted save whore.

I think it's at times hard to qualify games like Oblivion since they're so huge and there are so many variables.  Sometimes the variables just add up to something shitty instead of greatness, even if they tend to more often veer toward greatness.  I think this is much less of a problem in Fallout 3, though.  The game is more structured and better developed on the whole.  I can honestly say I haven't loved a game this much in a long, long time.  Not perfect, especially on the technical side, but compelling just the same way the first ones were, at least to me.

How does giantbomb.com make money without ads?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #386 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 12:05:45 AM »
Ryan Davis turns tricks behind the 7-11.

... don't ask me how I know.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #387 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 04:27:49 AM »
How does giantbomb.com make money without ads?

Apparently the full website is coming... one day.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #388 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 05:44:47 AM »
I just realized something. Fallout 3 only does a CD check if you use the launcher (default shortcut), but if you double-click Fallout3.exe the game just loads up with no disc in the drive. Cool.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #389 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 05:59:37 AM »
Hahaha...seriously? I have to try that when I get back home

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #390 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 06:56:53 AM »
Hahaha...seriously? I have to try that when I get back home
It's weird but cool. It's like Beth really wanted to remove all DRM but were forced to go with SecuROM so they found a way to let the 'intermediate' PC gamers to figure out a way around it :P

The launcher is only really good for adding data files and plugins, but I'm sure someone will develop something like the OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager) for Fallout 3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #391 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 07:51:59 AM »
Ugh.  I hope not.  I hated that crap.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #392 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
Where do you get the "Piston Fist"? I think is what it's called.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #393 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »
Directed at Idol....

END TALK
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #394 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 03:09:49 PM »
D, you got this game?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #396 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 03:21:13 PM »
Ugh.  I hope not.  I hated that crap.
OBMM really simplified mod-related stuff. You can install/remove mods very easily without having to hunt down individual files. Activate/deactivate mods, and even activate a BSA overwrite without actually compromising the original BSA files. I thought it was pretty handy.

FO3 cost me a little extra to actually get it here, around $55 USD. I was gonna get the FO3 CE but the guy said it'll cost me about $110 USD. I told him to sod off and settled for the standard edition.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #397 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 03:29:31 PM »
I just realized something. Fallout 3 only does a CD check if you use the launcher (default shortcut), but if you double-click Fallout3.exe the game just loads up with no disc in the drive. Cool.

Great thing you told us all that! :)
Saves me from putting disc in the drive now.

I created a shortcut for that unprotected EXE and all that jazz.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #398 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
Directed at Idol....

END TALK
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #399 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
I hated the OBMM.  Most of my favorite mods didn't support it since it was basically a third-party standard that had to be developed for, it divided the modmaking community into those who supported it and those who didn't bother, and it required you to download extra shit and do stuff outside the game's core system to get the mods going.  I think it was horrible and I hope nothing like that ever shows up again.  There were a few advantages, but ultimately the division in the mod community was enough to make me hate it.