Author Topic: Yahoo Sued for $20M for Illegal Image Use  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Yahoo Sued for $20M for Illegal Image Use
« on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 04:22:54 AM »
http://googlewatch.eweek.com/content/yahoo/yahoo_sued_for_10m_for_illegal_image_use.html

Yahoo Sued for $20M for Illegal Image Use
stovall_exhibit.gif

An Ohio woman is suing Yahoo for $20 million for allegedly using a photograph of her when advertising Yahoo e-mail services, Google Watch has learned.

According to a complaint filed in Ohio federal court, the woman, Shannon Stovall, learned of the alleged misuse of her likeness after she signed up for Yahoo e-mail. An image of Stovall (left) was included in the sign-up confirmation e-mail sent to Stovall's new Yahoo e-mail address.

Stovall, who is represented by attorneys from three firms—read: not a pro se lawsuit—is alleging Yahoo violated her right to publicity and right to privacy.

Stovall is seeking $20 million for compensatory and punitive damages and a portion of the profits that have been generated through the use of her likeness, and to cover her legal fees.

Reps from Yahoo were not immediately available for comment. Lawyers for Stovall have not returned calls seeking comment.

I think some celebs might be thinking... Damn even I don't get that much.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Yahoo Sued for $20M for Illegal Image Use
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
I wonder if she will end up getting that much out of it. Stupid as hell of Yahoo to use her image without her consent, they deserved this lawsuit.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 02:34:25 PM »
she wont get all of it. I am betting they will settle out of court. Costly mistake for Yahoo
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 06:45:48 PM »
A company I worked for once sued the company I went to work for afterward for $6 million.  At issue was the usual intellectual-property bullshit.  We turned around and counter-sued for $10 million.  I'm talking 1980s here--that's a lot of money.  After over a year of unspeakable bullshit, the whole thing evaporated into a no-money settlement.  Lawyers made money.

These huge sums of money bandied about in lawsuits are pure crap.  It's all posturing and intimidation.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 09:56:05 PM »
Yeah, it's stupid.  Still, Yahoo pretty much had this coming.  Not cool to use somebody like that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野