Author Topic: Crackdown demo on Xbox Live--amazing!  (Read 14238 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Crackdown demo on Xbox Live--amazing!
« on: Wednesday, January 24, 2007, 11:31:06 PM »
This is the most fun I've had in a game of this kind (GTA).  First off, it's a technical marvel.  It's a huge world bustling with activity, and the frame rate is very smooth always.  There's also a dynamic brightness based on whether you're in a dark area or outside in midday.  Looks sort of like a camera lens adjusting to the light.  This makes everything always nicely visible without washing out the whites or reducing dark scenes to mud.  It's perfect for my LCD monitor, which does not have the luminance range of a good CRT.  I love the look, although I could take or leave the lines drawn around everything, comic-book style.  (It's not really cel-shaded.)

The action is nonstop, and the controls on foot are freaking perfect.  As you gain agility, you end up leaping around buildings like the Hulk or maybe Spiderman.  The demo tels you at the beginning that your abilities will be going up at an accelerated rate (I guess so you get a taste of where it's all leading.)  You can lock on with weapons and fire while running, falling or jumping (flying?).  You can hang on to ledges, windowsills and anything that portrudes from walls, and use them to jump again higher up.  You end up being able to jump across rooftops.  You get the picture.  The character levels up in other areas too, another being weapons mastery.

Cars can handle either well, or so bad they're almost undriveable.  Old souped-up gangmobiles in particular will not go around turns flat out without skidding out ass-end first.  Good thing the throttle is variable (right trigger) because some of these POS's on wheels really do need to stay at urban-street speeds.  On the other hand, some of the better police cars you can try right off the bat do fine at full throttle.

You can sandbox all you want for an hour of play time (pause time not included in the limit).  You can quit and play again, though, so it's not like those annoying time-limit wrappers around casual games.  Anyone with the HDD and a net connection has got to try this.  It's that simple.

Edit: Crackdown hands on at Gamespot.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Crackdown demo on Xbox Live--amazing!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 25, 2007, 12:12:01 AM »
Huh... pretty sweet.  I remember looking at this and thinking it looked absolutely horrible, but I'm definitely a bit more interested now.  Seems like it could have some good stuff packed into it.  Wish I could try the demo.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 25, 2007, 12:13:46 AM »
There's also a dynamic brightness based on whether you're in a dark area or outside in midday.  Looks sort of like a camera lens adjusting to the light.  This makes everything always nicely visible without washing out the whites or reducing dark scenes to mud.  It's perfect for my LCD monitor, which does not have the luminance range of a good CRT.  I love the look...
Sounds like the HDR thing that the Source and Crytek engines do.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 26, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »
I grabbed the demo after reading this and damn, it really is a ton of fun.  I haven't played a game with more  shit going on at once in a long time.  The action is just insane.  The co-op play is a blast, and if you and your partner decide you'd rather kill each other than work as a team it's even more fun.  It turns into a 1v1 deathmatch almost, on the largest, most intricate map you can think of.  There's something about  respawning and then hunting down your killer through the city, leaping between rooftops and buildings in pursuit.

Like Cobra said, some cars suck, but using the handbrake in this game is easy like it was in GTA, so it's no problem.  Also, the reason the cars suck so bad at first is because you're supposed to increase your driving skill points.  The handling gets much better after that.

Try increasing your strength or explosive points.  The strength lets you pick up cars and kick people 50 ft in the air, and the explosives allow for a huge blast radius making for some insane firefights.  Blowing up a string of cars is satisfying.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 26, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »
I'm gonna have to try this one out.  It didn't look like anything spectacular, but I'll make a judgment once I've tried the demo.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 26, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »
It's starting to sound a lot more appealing.  When's it due out?

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 27, 2007, 02:56:40 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think it's pretty soon.  If I can scrape together $60 this will definitely be the next game I get.  I must have played the demo's full hour ten times already.  The fact that it includes the Halo 3 beta is pretty cool too

Offline wizall

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 27, 2007, 04:32:55 PM »
Hmm, I'll give this a second chance.  I played it nonchalantly when I first DLed it, but didn't really play long.  I guess there was something about it that didn't sit right with me, but having only given it a cursory play I can't really articulate it.  I'll try it again.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 09:23:15 AM »
Ok, I downloaded and played this.  It does not feel as cohesive, polished, and well-presented as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but it has it's own charm and that seems to be the over-the-top nature of the game.

I didn't have that much fun when I was trying to complete the missions, but had a blast trying to increase my driving skills, strength, and agility skills.  It was hilarious being able to jump over a 4-lane highway and throw dumpsters around. 

I also like how, unlike the Grand Theft Auto series, in addition to the standard police-are-pissed-at-you meter, there is also one for the gangs.  Kill too many of a certain gang and they'll be coming after your ass.  Speaking of which, I'm not sure how well the meter works in this game.  I took my car and just ran the hell out of people on the sidewalk.  I pissed off the cops, but they just made a lackluster effort at stopping me.  It even seemed like they would go away after a short time even if I continued to run people over.

I'll definitely be picking this one up when it comes out, the demo can be a blast.

Gamespot says the game is due out on February 20.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »
try out the co-op... its awesome

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 06:43:45 PM »
I'm starting to salivate for this.  2 more days.  I haven't preordered or anything.  I hope it doesn't become a scarce item because of the Halo 3 beta included.  I've been playing the demo a lot recently, even re-launching as soon as it times out.  Did anyone notice the repeated morphing of the company SUV after you have several stars in driving ability?  I got all the way to 4, when I noticed that it was taking up more room on the screen than I remembered.  I swung the camera around to look at it, and it was all tricked out like combination monster truck and dragster.  So I get out of it, and the thing did like a 4-step collapse back to its original form.  Whoa!!  That had me laughing out loud.  I got back in, swung the camera around as quickly as I could, and watched it blow out in steps once again.  Man, what a nice touch.  One of many.  I think the demo shows a great attention to detail and quality.  I hope and pray that performance from the DVD matches that of the HDD-resident demo.  What a letdown it would be if the full game hitches every 20 seconds to stream in new stuff.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »
Yeah, the car does that as well.  I haven't driven the SUV or truck yet.

I didn't even think about the game being scarce, but you've got me worried now.  I have school on Tuesday so it will be tough for me to make it early in the day to get it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 10:13:18 PM »
The car gets to be too much of a twitchy handful.  I like the SUV better after I have 2 stars.  The truck is the only one of the 3 that acts as a battering ram.  (The car goes under things, and the SUV goes over things.)  It's too slow to react, and a pain when you have to stop and back up.

I'm thinking of going around tomorrow to see if I can pick it up a day early, or at least put a hold on one copy.  It's distributed all over already, from what I've been reading around.  Some places have allegedly broken the street date over the weekend, but that kind of rumor is hard to verify, or apply to our own local stores in any case.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 19, 2007, 05:48:27 AM »
Once you get those driving stars, every agency vehicle transforms like that.

The street date was broken in some places, though, because a friend of mine already bought the game.  The gamespot he went to had it on the shelves when I went there, too, so I can tell you for sure that some places have already started selling it.  I played the game at his place, and its just as awesome as the demo, but that's also its downfall -- the demo is so awesome that the full game doesn't even seem worth it.  The full game is exactly the same as the demo, except instead of 4 bosses to fight, there are 21, and you're allowed to explore the rest of the city.  This is great and all, but the amount of content that you get in the full game in comparison to the demo doesn't seem to be worth the 60 bucks in my opinion.  Awesome fucking game, but if I want to play it I'll just play the free demo. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Monday, February 19, 2007, 06:42:20 AM »
but if you kill too many police officers or civilians, your department will order the cops to take you down.

I think that's the way it should be in real life... killing a few civilians and cops should be OK, but no sir, not too many.

Anyway I think that looks awesome. Thanks for the link Cobra. Is this coming to PC? *hopeful*

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 19, 2007, 05:44:42 PM »
I think I have a good idea of how much further beyond the demo the game is going to go.  Ramping up abilities will be slower, and there is about 3 times the area to cover, with a similar increase in bosses and fights in general.  If I could hack the time limit out of the demo, I might be happy with it alone.  But I can't, and I want the whole world.  So it's a definite sale for me.  The demo does give out a lot for free, though.  It's one of the best ones I remember.

I don't know if it's coming to PC or not, Pug.  I'm not happy with the state of PCs as gaming machines now anyway.  So I don't much care one way or the other.

Well, the 3 places I visited today will not break the street date.  (Best Buy, Circuit City & Microcenter.)  None of them were EB or Gamestop types, though.  Maybe I should try the Gamestop down the road from me here.  Forgot about that one.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »
Hahahaha.

I picked up Crackdown today from Best Buy on Fields Ertel.  The guy at the register asked if I was buying it for the game or buying it for the Halo 3 beta.  I told him it was for the game, I could care less about the beta.  He said I was only the second person today to say that the actual Crackdown game was the reason I was buying it.  Everyone else was buying it for the beta.

Which brings me to the conclusion of this story...  I just now popped in the Crackdown disc, downloaded whatever update Live wanted me to apply, and then went to the "Downloads" area there.  On there, it said "Download Halo 3 Beta."  So I highlight it.  A message at the bottom says "Check back here at a later date to download the Halo 3 Beta."

Hahaha!  Suckers!

Edit:  Apparently this really isn't news.  I just checked IGN and found this from a Bungie source:

Quote from: IGN
According to Bungie, "The beta will not start when Crackdown is released. The beta will go live when it's ready, which should be sometime this Spring."
So who in the hell are these idiots that bought Crackdown today for the Halo 3 beta?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 06:50:19 PM »
Yea it's kind of retarded how excited people are for the beta for Halo 3.  I'm thinking about buying this game, but I probably won't until at least a couple weeks down the road.  I don't know if the beta will still be available when I buy it by then, but I don't actually care for it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »
It's not even that people are buying it for the beta.  That's not new.  People did that with Zone of the Enders and the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo.  It's that if I was only the 2nd person out of all the people that had brought Crackdown to this guy's register and said I was actually buying it for Crackdown and not the Halo 3 beta, that means there are a lot of people that paid $60 today for a demo that doesn't even come out until the Spring.

I don't get it.  I mean they are idiots for paying $60 for a beta, but they are even bigger idiots for not waiting until the beta actually comes out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »
I got it at Best Buy.  The guy handed me one off the cart.  They were just going on the shelf.  The first thing I saw when I opened the case was the card about the Halo 3 beta.  It explains everything Scott said about the demo download.  It's worse than not getting it till Spring after paying for it now.  The card also says that it will only work for a limited time, and then the option in the Crackdown menu will become inactive.  So, it's like paying $60 for the rental of a future demo.   :)

I'm so happy to see that the game is just as smooth off the DVD as the HDD.  That was the one thing that was concerning me.  I played for hours today.  I'll be getting back into it soon too.  I love how well it's been realized.  The criticisms don't bother me.  Most of what I like this type of game for is there in stellar fashion. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 09:06:40 PM »
So I'm curious about this one, Cobra, but I need you to tell me more.  I don't know that I'm getting what I want reading from other sources.  I understand the criticisms, so what's so great about it that keeps you coming back?  Is there lots of side stuff to do?  Can you just wander off and go nuts?  Are there any kind of challenge-like things or random missions or anything that can extend the time you spend with it beyond just the main game?  I tend to play these more for that kind of thing, so even if it's just kind of a sandbox with lots of crap to mess with, that's good enough as long as there's a lot of land and a lot of random junk to screw with.  Then again, sometimes I feel like there isn't quite enough structure to that kind of sandboxy stuff with games like these.  I just really can't quite get a sense of how this all works for Crackdown.

And, yes, buying one game for the future beta of the next game in a shitty franchise is pretty stupid.  But Halo is one of the biggest fanboy-rampant franchises in the world right now, so I guess it's to be expected.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 11:23:37 PM »
I love the over-the-top stuff of Crackdown so far.  I got my level 4 driving skill so the Agency vehicles are badass.  Still working on my agility.  I seem forever stuck at two stars.  But even with two I can jump quite far and it's a great time.  I also have enough strength to pick up small cars.

But there is a lot less to do than in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.  Make no mistake about that.  Sure, you can drive around or climb up buildings, both of which can be great fun.  But there are no planes to fly or motorcycles or weird side missions where you bomb stuff with a RC plane.

I'd say it's like GTAIII but with the addition of the ability to swim and climb up things.  And jump really fucking high.  And throw cars.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 01:16:13 AM »
I played the hell out of the GTA games (3, VC & SA).  Loved them.  But there is something here that feels a lot better on the mechanics.  On the GTAs, I always felt like a fish out of water when on foot.  It just wasn't very satisfying.  On Crackdown, it's unreal.  I always feel like I'm in full control.  I can run, leap, move the camera in mid-air to see exactly wher I'm going.  I can lock on to targets and hit them on the run.  I can duck, kick, pick up and throw stuff.  And since the skills are progressive, I'm highly motivated to do and find as much stuff as I possibly can.  Driving is very satisfying too, once you garner one star (which is cake to do: run over about 10 bad guys, and you're there).  The real-time gameplay is several notches above even SA, imho.

The missions are less intrusive, and all seem to come down to find the boss and kill him.  Let me be honest:  I never finished a single GTA game.  Playing though rigid mission scripts, and getting thrown back to the beginning of them whenever I made a mistake, is not at all the type of thing I enjoy about this kind of game.  Not only was each mission a sequential chore, but if you get stuck on any one of them, you can't take on any others, and you can't open up the whole city.  I thought that sucked balls.  In other words, what I loved about the GTAs was the freeform racing and running around, discovering new places, weapons & vehicles, not "completing" the games.  Crackdown has no such rigidity on the mission structure.  You can go everywhere that you can discover and reach right off the bat.  There are places you will not be able to reach until you enhance your agility, but that won't take terribly long.  (Since I love hopping across rooftops like the incredible hulk, and I like the scavenger-hunt aspect of finding orbs, I ramped up on that rather quickly.  I'm at 3 stars with 90% on the meter toward the 4th star.)  You can take the bosses in any order.  You'll have a very rough time if you decide to face some challenges before your abilities and arsenal improve, but no one will lead you away from them by the nose.

Oh, and speaking of arsenal, that's another nice touch.  Any weapon you find/capture which you bring back to a supply point becomes yours for the asking.  You get to select 2 shooters and a thrown explosive device from the menu each time you visit any supply point.  This lets you grab the combination of weapons you think will serve you best on each situation.  Supply points also act as warp points.  You can hop to and from any one you've liberated (visited).

Explosions, gunfire, the tactile feel (rumble), frame rate, graphics, draw distance, speech, etc--all top notch.  So is the physical interaction between your character and his surroundings.  Everything feels right, the leaps, landings, hanging from ledges, running, aiming, throwing--everything.  There's so little to fault in the virtual playpen.  The Spanish at least is accurate too.  Can't tell about the Russian or Asian guys.  Lots of love went into this, and it shows.

It's too bad you can't get the demo, Que.  (Although if you get the game anyway, it's a good thing, because the demo gives too much away.)  I can't guarantee that you're going to be happy with its enhanced interaction and its more basic mission structure.  I am.  I want to call up Rockstar and say "see? fun! do this instead!"  I guess I'll fall back on the popular phrase.  Your mileage may vary.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 01:26:37 AM »
I get the feeling that I'd enjoy it if there's enough stuff to see and play with.  It just sounds like the game is way too short to justify the pricetag.  I mean, I'm freaking broke.  So I can't justify many new games these days.  I think I'll definitely want to pick this one up, it'll just have to be after the price has dropped a good bit.  Same with Lost Planet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 02:00:22 AM »
Yeah, I'd hate to steer you wrong.  Hold off for now.  It's not short for me, because I'll do stuff for the hell of it forever.  Eventually, all the meandering will take me through all the missions, and I'll "complete" the game.  But that's just my way of playing it.  A lot of people will be bored (with single-player, at least) way before I will.

Heh, I used the 48-hours of Live Gold to try to join a game Scott was hosting, but I got an error--something about an incompatible version (which is bullshit, because the only download so far is an automatic update first time you lunch the game, and both of us got that).  I think maybe Scott quit hosting as I was trying to redeem the Gold code,  log on and join.  Bummer.  Or it might be ports not getting forwarded by one or both of these routers?  This is the first time I try to do online multiplayer stuff on the 360.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 02:15:23 AM »
Wish I could tell you.  The one experience I had was with Gears of War, and it didn't work even a little bit.  Got kicked out of every single game.  Somebody later said there was some kind of bug or something, but by then I'd given up and now my trial is over, so... whatever.  Does Crackdown have a deathmatch mode?  Because a bunch of super-powered freaks hulking their way around a giant city with big guns sounds totally wicked for DM.

But yeah... I guess I'll just wait for this to hit thirty bucks or so.  Right now I'm totally engrossed in Oblivion again anyway, and I got Daggerfall working on XP, so my gaming hours are more than tied up at the moment.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 04:38:17 AM »
It's co-op.  I don't think there's DM.

Once again, I'm up way past a reasonable hour.  I got hung up mopping up Los Muertos and on agility stuff.  I got to the top of the Agency tower when I realized that the sun's about to come up.  Shit.  Wish I could sleep like I used to.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 07:48:31 AM »
Heh, I used the 48-hours of Live Gold to try to join a game Scott was hosting, but I got an error--something about an incompatible version (which is bullshit, because the only download so far is an automatic update first time you lunch the game, and both of us got that).  I think maybe Scott quit hosting as I was trying to redeem the Gold code,  log on and join.  Bummer.  Or it might be ports not getting forwarded by one or both of these routers?  This is the first time I try to do online multiplayer stuff on the 360.
Yeah, I accepted your join request.  It saved my game and took me to the main menu.  Then it brought up a box saying waiting for other player.  I waited about two minutes and then canceled.

My router's ports are forwarded properly.  I found some documentation on which ports to forward for Live and did so and NAT shows up ok in the network diagnostics built into the 360.  It showed "Moderate" before I made the change.

As for the game, Cobra, I definitely suggest beating the hell out of Los Muertos before completing the missions there.  Since almost all of your skills must be built up by taking on the enemy (as opposed to say just driving around a lot), I think it's best to exploit the weak Los Muertos.

I beat all the Los Muertos missions and now they are completely absent from their two islands.  Now I'm fighting the Volk.  They are much more difficult.  They can kill you a lot faster and there are a lot more of them.  They multiply quick too because of the task force they send after you kill the big groups of them.

It's kind of funny though.  They drive all these Russian trucks.  In fact, I once saw a SCUD launcher, which I promply stole.  What a beast that thing was to drive.  It was huge!

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 09:27:28 AM »
Que, I believe they said (or there are rumors?) of 16-player Deathmatch coming in the form of DLC shortly down the road.  I don't know if it's confirmed yet, but I know for a fact that there is some kind of DLC confirmed.  Either way, you can always host a co-op game and spend the whole time trying to hunt one another down.  That's all I really did in the demo and I found it to be way more fun than actually working together.

It really is a fun fucking game.  I'm broke myself, though, and I couldn't justify it because of how big the demo is.  I might get it sometime down the road, because it really is better than any GTA game I've played recently.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 11:08:25 AM »
I too am somewhat undecided.  I mean, it looks like a lot of fun, but most reviews say that it is a little short, and after a while the game gets boring, but that's no surprise really since every game is like that.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 05:01:26 PM »
Yeah, I accepted your join request.  It saved my game and took me to the main menu.  Then it brought up a box saying waiting for other player.  I waited about two minutes and then canceled.

My router's ports are forwarded properly.  I found some documentation on which ports to forward for Live and did so and NAT shows up ok in the network diagnostics built into the 360.  It showed "Moderate" before I made the change.

As for the game, Cobra, I definitely suggest beating the hell out of Los Muertos before completing the missions there.  Since almost all of your skills must be built up by taking on the enemy (as opposed to say just driving around a lot), I think it's best to exploit the weak Los Muertos.

I beat all the Los Muertos missions and now they are completely absent from their two islands.  Now I'm fighting the Volk.  They are much more difficult.  They can kill you a lot faster and there are a lot more of them.  They multiply quick too because of the task force they send after you kill the big groups of them.

It's kind of funny though.  They drive all these Russian trucks.  In fact, I once saw a SCUD launcher, which I promply stole.  What a beast that thing was to drive.  It was huge!

Dammit.  The weird thing is that I got 2 requests from people I don't know to join in, the 2nd one after I changed the preference to friends only.  (Then I bumped it up to invitees only.)  I hate the sudden interruption.  I guess there's really no other way to do this.  You don't want people suddenly showing up in your world.  (I think Test Drive Unlinited is that way--wide open.  Not sure, though.)

I read the review at Gamespot before getting the full game, and so I knew that once you fully beat a gang, they are gone forever.  That struck me as a possible weakness in the design, so I made sure not to exterminate them before exploring other parts of the world.  The first time I went across the bridge into Volk territory, these rockets descended on me and blew me sky high.  I didn't spend 30 seconds there.  Had to regenerate.  Oooh!  Better bulk up.  Strength gives you more health, and that's imperative.  So yeah, I didn't finish Los Muertos off until late last night (this morning, actually).  I had 3 stars across the board.  (Told you I've playing for hours.)  I miss them already.  Hora de matar!  Hora de morir!  Muerete, buey!  Te voy a matar!  Vete a la chingada!  All that friendly banter gone forever.  *Sniff*  Seriously, it's too empty now.  I guess the races will be easier now without them in the way.

Have you gotten the firefly yet?  It's a homing-rocket launcher.  Great weapon to have.  Sucks to be on the receiving end.  I have not found any way to defend against it except putting a wall between me and the shooter.  Out in the open, I get hit every time.

Edit: The results of my network test:
IP Address:  Confirmed
DNS:  Confirmed
MTU:  Confirmed
Xbox Live:  Connected
NAT:  Open

Hmm . . . should've worked, no?  According to the info I read, if NAT comes back as "Open", I should have no problems.  "Strict" and "moderate" cause problems.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 06:04:37 PM »
Right, "Open" is good.

No, I haven't found the homing rocket launcher.  That would be awesome but I haven't even seen it yet.  I do have the grenade launcher but I almost never use it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 01:39:11 AM »
Bah!  Tried to join you again, and again it said our versions are incompatible.  Did you delete the demo?  I can't imagine that would be it, but stranger things happen all the time.  I still have the demo installed.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
No, I still have the demo.  It's probably the DLC.  I downloaded the 4 extra playable characters (free).

BTW, did you notice that not only does your Agency vehicle change with increased driving skill, but your character changes appearance as well when he levels up?  My guy used to have a single night-vision monocle but now has two and he also has a mask.  He's also really, really buff now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »
I got the Asian guy.  He just gets an older-looking face and his hair turns gray, so I can identify.   :P  Yes, I played the demo with most of the skins.  I can just imagine the wilder ones pulling out a badge and trying to convince you they're cops.

Free downloadable characters?  Where?  I looked under the game in Live, and all I see are the kinds of things I'll never spend a dime on, gamer pics and themes.  I'll look again.

Edit:  I see what the problem is.  It has a red circle/slash on the price, because it's for Gold members only.  So get this:  The game includes a 48-hour Gold pass so you can check it out, but it doesn't give you Gold status.  Everyone who is Gold downloads the extra agents,  and that effectively shuts anyone with Silver who just wants to try out Crackdown online for 48 hours, because the game code can't get past the difference.  Hahaha!  Good move, Microsoft.  Yeah, complete failure to connect is going to convince players to pay for Gold.  Aha . . . sure.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »
Yea the 48 hour trial doesn't actually give you gold status.  It basically just allows you to play online.  Clearly, there's a problem with it in Crackdown.  I got the thing with R6: Vegas and was able to use it perfectly fine.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »
I'm sure it's just an unexpected sequence of events: game gets released with 48-hour pass for Silver users, game gets downloadable content exclusive to Gold users, game can't handle content difference between Gold and Silver users, online pass for Silver is worth as much as the cardboard it's printed on.  Somewhere along this line, somebody didn't think things through.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 01:40:28 PM »
Yeah, that seems pretty damn retarded.  Nice.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »
Am I the last to learn that the agency vehicles have special abilities?  The B button makes the SUV jump, and the car shoot dual machine guns (must be 50-cal, since they tear apart people and machinery).  I don't know what the truck does yet.  Heh.  I could have used those mounted machine guns on some of the boss compounds.

Are the abilities there all along, or do they kick in after some stars for driving?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 06:45:37 PM »
You get the vehicle abilities after 4 stars.  I've tried the semi and the supercar at 4 stars, but not the SUV yet.  Yeah, the machine guns are awesome.  For the semi, it's basically like a turbo boost to help it get to top speed faster.

I found a rocket launcher to go along with the grenade launcher, but still no homing rocket launcher.  I don't even think I've seen someone shoot one yet.