Author Topic: CoD4 pirated....a lot, I guess  (Read 12780 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: CoD4 pirated....a lot, I guess
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »
Which is fine, but you can understand why they don't care about your dollars then right?  You guys need a long SP campaign in order to feel you got value out of a game, whereas they target the audience who feels they need a strong MP component with lots of replay value to get value out of the game.  Does that make it justifiable in anywhere for someone to claim that's a justifiable reason to pirate it?  No more then it is to claim that Aquaria's 1997 graphics engine is a justifiable reason to pirate that.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 11:58:02 PM »
Jeebus... it is NOT a 4 hour game. It is about 6 hours or more, but anyone who wants to support their argument talks about it being four hours without having actually played the game.

Everyone on OW who has completed the game claims to have gotten about 6 hours out of it. I honestly can't imagine anyone finishing COD4 in less than  5 1/2 - 6 hours. 

edit:

Like GPW says, that's just the SP component. In terms of multiplayer, the game has reached unprecedented popularity.

edit 2:

Well not unprecedented, but certainly the most popularity since counter strike.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 12:03:19 AM »
Jedi it seems like you always post just to contradict or argue with D.

Also, CoD4 is awesome. It being comparitively short in terms of the expected FPS length is one of its only dectractors, but it satisfies.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 12:17:36 AM »
That's the crux of this argument.  You say "only one detractor".  To me, it's the only detractor which matters in this case.

6 hours is too short for full-priced game as well.  It took me a while to accept 10 hours, and there's a limit beyond which I'll never go.

I don't use shortness to justify piracy.  I use it to justify summarily rejecting the game, without ever having played it, without ever bothering to read a review.

People into multiplayer I'm sure are getting their money's worth.  That's a different issue.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »
Cobra I agree that 6 hours is too short for a full priced game if you only focus on singleplayer. I play MP a lot, which is why the game was worth a purchase for me. Having said that, I was totally blown away by the singleplayer.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #85 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 12:59:13 AM »
I rarely ever play multiplayer, the two main reasons being 1) I can hardly ever find a decent connection to any server, 2) I am only truly interested in coop multiplayer, which for some retarded reason is rare in PC games (or even sometimes intentionally removed).

That's probably one of the top reasons why I love Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon.

I got to taste a bit og Gears of War coop, I was lagging like mad but it was still fun.

I'm sure CoD4 MP is a blast, but just like all versus games I'll get bored very quickly. Especially in 1on1 matches.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #86 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 02:19:35 AM »
I agree with Cobra on the whole D thing.  Even though he likes Mulholland Drive for some whacked ass reason, he does contribute a lot and it's not really fair for everyone to jump on him at once.  If he posts something that annoys you, bring it up at the time or ignore him.  It's kind of a dick move to have like 4 people all of a sudden start picking someone apart - like a mob smelling blood once the first person grew the balls to throw a rock.

There's no mob.

That's a lovely throw away statement.

I have nothing of value left to add I've made myself clear and I feel I've been clear that I don't hate you D I just dislike some of the things you do and say some of the time.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 03:28:27 AM by Jedi »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #87 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 03:32:26 AM »

I haven't seen that myself. And that's no way to speak to a Jedi council member.

Also I don't see how we mobbed D, and I apologize if I did hurt his feelings, but I was airing honestly what a lot of people felt.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #88 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 06:08:34 AM »
Im still getting the general impression that the people who haven't played the game still feel the need to knock it for its length, and in this case its because of piracy. I still disagree whole heartedly. So its a short game, they certainly didn't half ass their way out it, the game is essentially 5 to 6 hours of quality gaming and every ounce of attention went into everything and it shows. You guys are making it seem like this is the beginning of a new era of 5 hour length and PC gaming is going to go down the tubes because piracy will run rampant. I will say PC gaming continues to be dwarfed by the console giants which im sure is another factor in the piracy, but game length I think is such a tiny fraction of it all. People have been pirating games for years, CoD4s popularity is pretty much all to do with it.

Also Cobra I don't see how an expectation guideline is going to work at all amongst a dev community. Are they really going to critique their own game and say how many hours are worth paying for and how many aren't? Thats ridiculous.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #89 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 06:20:42 AM »
I agree with Cobra on the whole D thing.  Even though he likes Mulholland Drive for some whacked ass reason, he does contribute a lot and it's not really fair for everyone to jump on him at once.  If he posts something that annoys you, bring it up at the time or ignore him.  It's kind of a dick move to have like 4 people all of a sudden start picking someone apart - like a mob smelling blood once the first person grew the balls to throw a rock

Hey welcome to the internet. There's few places D can go and post the way he does here without either getting banned or totally insulted. Look I agree he contributes a lot and some of it is good and the bad I can ignore... but only for so long. He can't just keep posting stuff like that and just get away with it every time. Hes gonna need a slapping around every now and again or he'll never learn.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 09:32:28 AM »
Hey welcome to the internet. There's few places D can go and post the way he does here without either getting banned or totally insulted. Look I agree he contributes a lot and some of it is good and the bad I can ignore... but only for so long. He can't just keep posting stuff like that and just get away with it every time. Hes gonna need a slapping around every now and again or he'll never learn.

Exactly.  To be fair he would have been banned within 24 hours at the other forum I post at.  He's certainly been given much more patience here than I've ever seen on a messageboard.  In fact that's one of the reasons I like this place.  It's a nice departure from the cutthroat attitudes at other boards.  You're not so much expected to 'hold your own' here, as it were.  Much more 'chill' than other places.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »
I like to think there's a place for everyone here.  We all occasionally disagree (see: this thread), but nobody holds anything against anybody else for the most part, and the only thing that's really going to get you in trouble is acting like a complete asshole.  And even then most people are willing to forgive and forget if you wise up and knock it off.

Unfortunately, post content that doesn't directly violate anything or present itself in a mean spirit is difficult to work around.  Not much can be said other than what's already been said, which ends up making it seem to be more of a personal issue than some other things might.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 05:06:57 AM »
Im still getting the general impression that the people who haven't played the game still feel the need to knock it for its length, and in this case its because of piracy. I still disagree whole heartedly. So its a short game, they certainly didn't half ass their way out it, the game is essentially 5 to 6 hours of quality gaming and every ounce of attention went into everything and it shows. You guys are making it seem like this is the beginning of a new era of 5 hour length and PC gaming is going to go down the tubes because piracy will run rampant. I will say PC gaming continues to be dwarfed by the console giants which im sure is another factor in the piracy, but game length I think is such a tiny fraction of it all. People have been pirating games for years, CoD4s popularity is pretty much all to do with it.

Also Cobra I don't see how an expectation guideline is going to work at all amongst a dev community. Are they really going to critique their own game and say how many hours are worth paying for and how many aren't? Thats ridiculous.

By your measure, it would be OK to make a 20-minute theatrical movie and charge $10 to see it.  Que already used the food analogy.  If you don't get enough, you don't get enough, regardless of how divine the quality may be.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #93 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 11:04:52 AM »
Did I miss something? What did he post that would get him banned at other forums?

I've never seen D have a problem with anyone, I don't see why everyone is conspiring against him now. I'm still on your side D! I'm used to getting ganged up on so it really doesn't bother me.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #94 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 02:01:56 PM »
Yeah I haven't seen D post anything that would constitute a ban. Maybe I missed something?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #95 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 03:54:46 PM »

Game Length
All I was stating was 4-6 hours for a SP just sounds very short to me for the usual player -- regardless of how much of a masterpiece it is or isn't. I didn't say anything of if I think the campaign sucked or ruled, despite its so-called shortness -- well, b/c I ain't played it yet, obviously; heh.

I really am not liking this trend of seeing The SP sides of games get quite short-changed in length department, of late. It really just seems like it is becoming more and more commonplace in the past few years, all of a sudden. From what I heard and read, the new MOH: Airbourne isn't long in the SP department, either. Same goes for Halo 3's SP, as well. Though, all THREE of these games are actually more known for their more robust MP side, actually.

This really begs the question suddenly to me -- "Hey, what about us gamers into the SP side of things? Why are we getting shortchanged more so of late???" Man, I remember the good old days, when MOH:AA was just awesome all the way through w/ its SP side; and it took me around a good and fulfilling 15 hours to finish it.

Tangent to SP/MP
Now, yes -- I will admit, I am more into the SP of a game more often than a game's MP. That's often b/c with the MP, they're just skirmishes. I just like the whole idea of doing campaigns, w/ stories and whatnot. That's just me, though. I think it is very nice, I think, to see games like HG: London and R6: Vegas 2 that will offer you to play The Campaign either OFFLINE (SP) or ONLINE (MP). I think this is also what is attracting me to upcoming games like The Crossing, as the entire game, whether played MP or SP, is The Campaign.

The Way MyD Plays Games...
Pug does has a point. With the way I do often play games, I probably could turn a 4-6 hour game into 8-10 hours; probably b/c I take my time and b/c I really burn out quicksave and quickload; I'm kind of a perfectionist, when it comes to playing games. I mean,, hell -- original Deus Ex cracked me at a count of hitting save over 500 times!!! (Of course, that was a nice length game, anyways -- over 30 hours, for me.) Well, hell -- how long did it take me to beat both Portal and HL2: Ep Two? Both took me around 9 hours, according to my STEAM stats -- right after I beat them, I looked at how long I was in them. It's no secret! Portal probably would've took me a few hours less (I'd guess about 3 hours less), if I didn't get stuck for around some odd 3 hours trying to perfect that crazy long drop of a jump-throw portal-run and jump through on one of the higher levels of the game (I think it was like Test 18 or whatever). I just couldn't get that timing right for the longest time...hehe. Eventually, finally got it....

Piracy
Okay, about piracy, yes -- I do think any "excuse" these dev's just can give a gamer to go to pirate a game, they just will do it; especially since it's not hard to find to get them and some people just don't mind waiting forever and a day to download it so they don't have to shell out more $$.  As many have said -- designers never will win w/ those who are going to pirate the game period, regardless; you never had their sale to begin with, so that idea's dead in the water.

As I've said before in probably other threads about piracy, when I was in college, I saw a trend w/ some of the gamers I knew up there -- it increase more and more, w/ every year I was in college. Most of them would plunk down $500 for the best, newest and raddest new vid card. Though, they would NOT buy ONE game, period. It's attitudes like that, hurting these dev's from making an actual sale.

With a SP game only 4-6 hours for some gamers, I think some gamers will say, "That's enuff reason to just go pirate it." That was one of my points; that a SP ONLY gamer might pirate the game b/c they feel shortchanged in length. Though, I never felt I needed to state it. Well, I guess I should've; so, there ya go -- I stated it this time. Me, I'd just rather wait a while and get that nice price drop to come out; that's just me, though. Plus, for all that time it'd probably take to download a game (Especially as huge as some of these games, these days), I'd just rather go play something else for the time being. It's not like I got a shortage of games, lying around here that I do want to play...

Of course, worst of all are these crazy piracy protection schemes -- b/c they are hurting the legit gamers, turning them off by doing nasty things to them when they're paying for the game. I mean, this could cause the philosophy of -- "Well, why pay for a game w/ protection that won't work when you could download it for free w/out the nasty protection???" Legit gamers don't need to be treated like second class citizens, by games being "protected" by nasty protections like StarForce and the new version of Securom, which can cause the game for the legit user to not boot at all (StarForce), cause their PC to get messed-up (StarForce), or you have a limited number of times you can install the game period (Securom w/ Bioshock and whatever protection Two Worlds uses).  B/c, you know what the legit gamer might do, if they can't get their legit game to run or given any stupid limited number of installs??? Pirate every game w/ whatever protection scheme causing them problems; hell, they might just pirate everything just b/c of that, regardless of any type of copy protection.

Why Do I Make So Many Threads On Designers With No CD Patches Released?
Y'know, I respect designers that make a game, then decide whenever they do to pull their copy protection check right out of a game -- like Blizzard did with Starcraft; yeah, even if it's some numerous years later. Or like Egosoft did w/ their X series of games b/c the consumers/gamers didn't like StarForce. Or like Larian did so they could actually get Beyond Divinity to boot on Vista. Or like Id does with a majority of their games -- such as Doom 3 and Quake 4. I mean, these guys made their majority of sales normally, by the time they decide to remove the protection -- why the hell do they need to keep the game protected, if the game's not selling anymore??? I mean, that's the point of copy protection, anyways; to try and sell units!

Let me tie this back to piracy. I dunno', but if a game I had wouldn't boot b/c of the copy protection, but you knew a designer team often has a history that they would eventually remove the disc check sometime later (normally when the game isn't selling too much anymore. they do so), I'd think gamers would likely be more apt to support this designer and buy their game -- especially more so than the designer saying "Protect my damn game...forever!" or "Deal with StarForce..."

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #96 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »
Did I miss something? What did he post that would get him banned at other forums?

I've never seen D have a problem with anyone, I don't see why everyone is conspiring against him now. I'm still on your side D! I'm used to getting ganged up on so it really doesn't bother me.

I don't think anyone here is conspiring against D.  I think people have been thinking some things for a while and it was a convenient time to release all the frustration that some (myself included) have felt toward some of D's posts.

As for my 'banned at other forums' comment:  The other forum I post at has a very low tolerance for posting something as fact without backing it up.  Pyro can attest to that, as he posts there occasionally.  In fact there's a poster there whose posting style is similar to D's, and there's a 200 page thread solely bashing him.  Now i'm not saying that's right or wrong, but as I stated earlier, this place is probably the most forgiving/accepting forum I've ever visited.  I'll admit that I've been annoyed a few times with something D's written, either because I don't agree with it or because he's just flat out wrong.  However, I don't hold any ill will toward the guy (I mean for Chrissakes it's a message board). 

Anyhow, that's all I'll say about D.  I don't hate him or anything, so please don't get that impression.  I don't think anyone else hates him either.

I'd love to change the atmosphere of this thread going forward.  Lets dispense with the D talk and discuss the piracy issue.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 07:25:29 PM »

Oh, I thought this was one of the few more laid back places on the internet where I don't have to deal with total douche bags who live miserable aspergers-syndrome ridden existences and as such decide to make up for it by beating their bitch-tits covered chest in some "I'm better at the internet than you" e-pissing contest.  If I wanted to e-hang around that all the time I'd register at somethingawful.com's forums because quite frankly they are really really good at it.

And what the hell does he need to learn?  To not derail threads or not post something that someone on the other side of the country may not like?  Fuck, if it bothers you that much just skip by his posts and ignore it.  It's not that big of a deal.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #98 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 08:03:46 PM »
^ what he said

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #99 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 10:45:46 PM »
Yea Pyro! Why you so mean? hahaha. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #100 on: Friday, January 18, 2008, 10:47:20 PM »
Yea Pyro! Why you so mean? hahaha. :P

Haha, that's cold!  Don't let him get away with that, Pyro.  I'll totally hold him down and you can get free hits.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野