Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic (new game from Stardock!)  (Read 9614 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Elemental: War of Magic (new game from Stardock!)
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
Version 1.1 is supposed to release tonight! Click the link for the massive change log.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »
Fallen Enchantress, the first Elemental expansion.
In Fallen Enchantress players will be able to explore the world of Elemental and discover a wide range of unique locations, including dangerous wild lands that can’t be settled until they are conquered.  There are areas like the Bhinadmi Fissure, a massive chasm that spawns demons and earth elementals, until a player goes to the edge and challenges the elemental lord that dwells within.  These undiscovered lands contain new characters and creatures: from the tragic Butchermen who wander the lands around Red Springs trying to pass their curse off to another victim, to Morian the Ruin of Summer, who was once a powerful nature elemental who has been driven mad by the Cataclysm and the destruction of his forests.

Derek Paxton, lead producer for Fallen Enchantress, said, “In Fallen Enchantress we wanted to focus on exploring the world outside your kingdom’s borders.  The world isn’t empty and waiting to be settled, it is dangerous and needs to be conquered.  There are unique locations with their own history and guardians; monsters settled in their lairs and vast wild land areas that offer their own challenges and rewards.  There will be areas the player would do well to avoid for most of the game until he builds an army that is able to conquer them.”
“Fallen Enchantress brings the world of Elemental alive.  Don’t expect many of your scouts to return, but those that are daring, lucky or strong enough to survive will be rewarded for their journey,” concluded Paxton.
Sounds good. Lets hope they pull it off. And hey, I get it for free either way!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »
That should be the box-art. Looks epic.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »
I guess I missed this part the first go around, or they updated that post.
Elemental: Fallen Enchantress will be released as a stand-alone game but will be free to all players who purchased Elemental: War of Magic in 2010 and will be heavily discounted for anyone who purchases Elemental: War of Magic prior to Fallen Enchantress’s anticipated Summer 2011 release.
Making is stand-alone is a smart move. It'll basically give them a chance to "relaunch" Elemental with all the updates.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »
Wardell expands on that
There is also another advantage to Fallen Enchantress being its own game rather than an “expansion pack”. And that is, it frees the team to make radical changes to the basics of the game while allowing War of Magic to still be updated on its own source tree.  A user of Fallen Enchantress won’t have to have War of Magic to play it and can treat War of Magic as a separate game.

This will be the same case for the third entry in the Elemental world which won’t be out for a long time still (but will be free for people who got War of Magic before the end of October 2010).  It’ll be its own game as well not requiring War of Magic and Fallen Enchantress but be available at a sharp discount to those who have the previous entries in the game world.

A few years ago, this wouldn’t be possible. Retailers would have refused to carry just stand-alone expansion. There were exceptions and the Company of Heroes series did a lot of good for our industry by paving the way here. Supreme Commander’s “stand alone” expansion helps as well.

Of course, no one has brought more attention to the changing digital model of PC games more than Blizzard with its recent release of Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty which will have two additional stand-alone games in the Starcraft 2 universe.

Will this be a good thing for PC gamers? I think it depends on how it’s handled. Personally, I’d like to see people get discounts if they have other chapters in the series. That’s going to be our model for the foreseeable future but part of that is because we have our own digital distribution platform (Impulse).
Not a bad plan. Each "expansion" is stand alone, owning any previous one gives you a discount (or if you're an early adopter of Elemental like me you get the next 2 expansions free. Hooray!)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »
So I'm finally giving this game a shot, and I'm absolutely loving it.  I didn't love it in beta so much, but this is a much better game than that was, and I think a lot of the updates have helped.  I feel like it's polished, fun, and obscenely addictive.  It's got not only the addictiveness of a Civ-style empire builder, but also a little bit of the addictiveness of a character-building RPG.  The RPG elements are fairly light, but there is a better sense of identity and character because of your bigger hero units, and it's cool that you can literally go to shops and buy equipment for them and have it make a major difference in battle.  I also really dig the way you can build your own forces.  Instead of just picking from stock guys, you get to make them yourself, right down to their equipment.  But it isn't obtuse or hard to understand.  You can simply outfit guys with the gear you think you can afford to give them, and if you notice that the unit is becoming far too expensive to build, dumb it down.  And if you have new, better stuff and a big money/material surplus, go template yourself some bigger, badder dudes.

I wish I hadn't installed this game simply because now I'm playing it way too much.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
So this weekend Elemental is half off on Impulse, so $20. Whether you think its worth that is up to you.

But Im really posing because this Dev Diary for Fallen Enchantress sounds awesome. Its just on the weapons that you can equip your troops with, but the way they interact with various stats and stuff sounds really interesting.

Normally I wouldnt hype myself up after the original Elemental, but they have Derek Paxton (Fall From Heaven) working on it....plus I'm getting it for free.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
I really don't see why Elemental was so bashed.  I didn't play it pre-patching, which I suppose is obviously why, but as far as it is now, it's a solid, addictive, and entirely enjoyable game.  I enjoyed all the time I spent with it and was glad I preordered the CE.  Looking forward to FE.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #90 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »
Well when you release a game that's broken, and you tell everyone that it's not and on top of that tell those people who say it is broken that their business isn't welcome anymore... yea people tend to get upset.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »
That whole "not welcome anymore" thing was totally blown out of proportion.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #92 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
He actually said that those people should not buy their games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
That thread was a mess with lots of personal attacks. We've all said stupid shit online in the heat of the moment, its just Brad owns a company at it got cherry picked out of that thread.

Anyway, whatever. Looking forward to Fallen Enchantress.