Author Topic: Crysis 2 - Update: Crysis 2 returns to Steam w/ Maximum Edition [with ALL DLC]  (Read 15081 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
NEW -- 5-30-2012:
RockPaperShotgun -> Looks like Crytek insisted on getting C2 with ALL DLC onto Steam, since they are part of the EA Partners program and since they are NOT owned by EA.
Crysis 2 is back on Steam now...with a Crysis 2: Maximum Edition that includes ALL of its DLC.

NEWER:
Crysis 2 PC Map Editor (SDK) Released.
2.32 GB patch released today for Crysis 2 PC to add DX11 features; Map Editor for Crysis 2 PC to be released on Wednesday.
Crytek speaks about Crysis 2 PC - the DX11 Patch coming next Monday and the "backfire" on the PC version.
Kotaku -> CryEngine 3 will be training US Soldiers.
Bluesnews -> Crysis 2 Editor coming soon and CryEngine 3 SDK planned for Summer 2011.
Kotaku -> Crytek moans about the current amount of RAM X360 and PS3 have [512 MB].
They want at least 8 GB on the next-generation of consoles.

Crytek announces DX11 Patch for Crysis 2 PC.
Eurogamer -> PC vs. X360 vs. PS3 versions on graphics quality.
MyCrysis Forums -> PC Patch 1.1 released.
GGMania.com -> Crysis 2 PC - Wasdie's Tweak Tool released.
Steam Forums -> Tweak Tool released by modder named Wasdie.
PC Gamer -> All kinds of graphic options have been found in Crysis 2 PC's console-commands.
AverageGamer -> Crytek talks about PS3, X360, and PC piracy; and also the leaked build.
Shacknews -> Crysis 2 PC - Multiplayer Demo coming March 1st.

OLD:
Links, News, Info, Etc.
MyCrysis -> Cevat Yerli of Crytek speaks on Crysis 2 PC leak.
Destructoid -> On Crysis 2 PC leak and piracy.
EA - Crytek and EA responds to the Crysis 2 PC leak.
VE3D -> Crysis 2 PC = leaked-out 39 days before release.
BigDownload -> Crysis 2 PC's minimal system requirements revealed.
Crytek's Twitter -> A pre-launch Crysis 2 MP Demo is coming to the PC.
Joystiq -> Crytek working on fixing on Crysis 2 MP Demo issues such as console freezing and connectivity issues.
Joystiq -> Crytek already got storyline plans for Crysis 3.
1Up -> Crysis 2 Demo is a XB Live Exclusive for the X360.
PCGamer -> Crysis 2 preview.
FiringSquad -> Crysis 2 Multi-Player Trailer from GamesCom 2010
Crysis 2 = delayed until Q1 2011.
Crytek is having better performance for Crysis 2 on the PS3 over the 360. (April 15th, 2010)
Crytek thinks game demos are a thing of the past.
Announcement
VE3D -> Crysis 2 - Cover Art revealed for ALL EDITIONS.
MyCrysis.com -> Limited Token to sign-up for, for Crysis 2's Closed MP for X360.
1Up -> Crysis 2 - Two different Special Editions revealed.
Crysis 2 announced for PC, PS3, X360.
Trailers
"Cloak And Dagger" Gameplay Vid.
Original Teaser Trailer.
Nanosuit Teaser Trailers.
"Master Pinger" Trailer (E3 2010).
Crysis 2 - Footage
Crysis 2 - CryEngine 3 at GDC 2010.
"Cloak And Dagger" Gameplay Vid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REVIEWS
Scored out of a max of 100
PC Gamer -> PC Version - 89.

GameSpot -> Scores are out of a max of 10
X360 and PS3 Review -> 8.5 - Written Review; Video Review.

Scores are out of a max of 10
Eurogamer -> 8 for all platforms [PC, X360, and PS3].
GameTrailers.com -> 9.1 for all platforms.
IGN -> 9.0 for console versions - Written review; Video Review.

Scored out of a maximum score of 5.
GiantBomb -> 4 stars.

G4TV -> Scores are out of 5 stars maximum score.
G4TV -> 4 stars for all platforms.
G4TV -> Sessler's Soapbox -> Linearity.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 03:29:12 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Crysis 2 announced for PC, PS3 and X360
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 09:49:46 PM »
Multiplatform because of piracy on the PC. I'm sure there are people like me though, who haven't bought it just because of DRM. I didn't pirate it, I just played the single player demo only. I would have bought it already if they'd at least remove the install limit.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
The original Crysis didn't have activation limits (that I'm aware of), but Warhead does. So I haven't bought Warhead. Well, that and I don't really have much desire to play more Crysis. It wasn't a bad game, but it didn't enough for me to want an expansion and now a sequel.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:27:10 PM »
Yea, the original doesn't have install limits. I realized recently that my PC could play it, and then I heard about the Maximum Edition (both games for $40, instead of $30 each). Seems like a waste to get Crysis for $30 when I can get both for $40. But Warhead has an install limit, so I haven't bought anything.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »
I am pretty sure they removed the install limit, right? Also, you could install and reinstall limitlessly on 5 machines. After that you needed to phone EA. But didn't they remove that?

I loved Crysis, but haven't started on Warhead.

Anyway, this announcement doesn't get me really excited. I have a feeling this will be more like Crysis 1.5 to have the console crowd catch up.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:44:26 PM »
I did a lot of digging about 2 weeks ago and from what I could find Warhead still has the install limit, even on the Steam version...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 11:21:50 PM »
That sucks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 02, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
I am pretty sure they removed the install limit, right?
No, not from Crysis Warhead (SP).
Crysis Wars (MP) has no install limits, though.

Also, you could install and reinstall limitlessly on 5 machines. After that you needed to phone EA. But didn't they remove that?
No. You STILL need that Revoke Tool or the EA De-Auth Tool to play with the revoke process for Crysis Warhead SP.

I loved Crysis, but haven't started on Warhead.
Warhead's pretty good.

Anyway, this announcement doesn't get me really excited. I have a feeling this will be more like Crysis 1.5 to have the console crowd catch up.
I'd be excited if we'd get some gameplay footage -- especially if a lot of new features get shown off; like say new weapons, new suit abilities, etc etc.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 09:16:32 AM »
We all love countdowns to announcements/reveals, right? (just over 20 hours on the countdown as of this post)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »
Its a trailer that doesn't show gameplay! You know how much we all love those. Though apparently its done in-engine.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5511492/crysis-2-preview-two-ways-to-save-new-york-new-york

As long as it is in-engine, it is good enough for a first look for me.

Looks really good, but damn, those facial textures are a HUGE step back. WTF! Hope it isn't so for the PC version...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »
Well, we already saw some gameplay in the CryEngine tech demo a few weeks back.

I kinda like the shift away from "jungle" to "urban jungle."

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »
I played through Crysis Warhead last weekend.  First, it was very fucking short.  Second, it was an alright game, but I really don't know how much I'd like it in an urban enviroment.  The entire draw for me was the sun streaming through the foliage, reflecting off my gun right before I put a cap in some North Korean motherfucker. Apart from that, I wasn't all that impressed with the actual game play.  Like, the suit is a good idea but the actual shooting and AI (well, lack of it really) really kind of wasn't that fun.

Can't see myself playing another Crysis game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 02:07:50 PM »
I'm not particularly interested in the urban environment either. I wonder how they handle building interiors. I mean, I can throw a car at a building, and with visuals like that I'm going to expect the glass to shatter. Which means I can go inside and run around. Theres no way they could let me do that for every building.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »
I played and replayed both Crysis and Crysis: Warhead (including Crysis Wars multiplayer) so that would explain why I might be excited about new environments :D

You could explore most (if not all) buildings you encountered in the original games, considering there weren't many buildings. In Crysis 2 I imagine we'll be able to explore reachable interiors but they may have generic design and low detail (like most open-world game interiors we've seen).

CryTek did an amazing job in rendering life-like, photo-realistic wildlife and jungle scenery. Seeing what they have been doing with CryEngine over the last year I'm excited about how they're going to handle urban environments. The lighting technology they've developed is impressive.

I agree with Pug, certain details in Crysis 2 (like the facial details) do appear lower quality but that's not necessarily a bad thing considering the performance yield. I expect certain details will be lowered, we might see slightly lower poly models etc., but they'll be taking full advantage of shaders and light rendering to compensate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »
Yeah, I imagine they'd have to tone stuff down from the first one a bit just to get it running properly on the consoles... I mean, I'm sure both consoles could do it based on raw horsepower, but I don't know how well Crytech could optimize the game for either system. Also, it would  make a PC release more viable this time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Monday, April 12, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »
Was the Cryengine in Crysis supposed to be easy to develop for?  I mean, I understand why pretty much no one licensed it, but if it actually ran on affordable hardware would it have been competitive?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Monday, April 12, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
Apparently the map editor is quite easy to use in Crysis. Mods didn't take off mostly because of the effort involved in making assets that can stand next to the built in Crysis stuff.

No clue about the code side of things. It could be hard to deal with, which might explain the lack of licenses. That plus the instant you say you're using the "Crysis Engine" everyones expectations for how your game should look is skyrocketed. I wouldnt be surprised if a few people passed on the engine for that reason alone.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 06:01:02 AM »
Was the Cryengine in Crysis supposed to be easy to develop for?  I mean, I understand why pretty much no one licensed it, but if it actually ran on affordable hardware would it have been competitive?

Actually the first Crysis engine did pretty well for a new engine. Three fair successful games licensed it that were released here. Two licensed it in Korea, one of which was a huge hit.

Also, I think three or four governments licensed it as well. They all used it for various projects. France used it for some infrastructure development project.

Still not as successful as Unreal of course.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
Crytek is having better performance for Crysis 2 on the PS3 over the 360.
Here's what Carl Jones of Crytek said.

At the moment, we're getting slightly more performance from PS3 compared to 360. I'm very confident that products using CryEngine 3 are going to come out as the best looking, or at least in the top three, on every platform.

We haven't found it more difficult to develop for PS3.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »
This could very well be CryTek's leap into the fray.. of consoles.

Looking at the list of upcoming titles Crysis 2 seems to be the most interesting, I'm not even that excited about it, it's just the most appealing. Kinda like picking the hottest chick out of a [insert fast food place] employee list, not impressive but appealing by comparison.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Friday, April 16, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »
That's just plain asinine, particularly when you consider the whole point of a demo to begin with.

I've seen this trend with MMO's, like "buy this starter kit for $10" which is not exactly a great way to lure people in especially when they're used to free!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Friday, April 16, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »
How does not having a demo curb piracy?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Friday, April 16, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »
That's just plain asinine, particularly when you consider the whole point of a demo to begin with.

I've seen this trend with MMO's, like "buy this starter kit for $10" which is not exactly a great way to lure people in especially when they're used to free!

What if the starter kit was say 5 hours? :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Friday, April 16, 2010, 11:00:30 PM »
The only way a pay demo would work (in my opinion) is if:

1) A substantial "demo", like shareware size. Think the entire first episode of Doom. Another example since I'm currently playing it, a for-pay demo of The Witcher would be the Prologue and the entire Chapter 1. You have to give a decent chunk of game.

2) $5 demo? To buy the full game you get $5 off.

Even then I probably wouldn't buy any demos, but I could see others doing it. Hell, people already sort of do that with those preorder-only demos.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Friday, April 16, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »
I don't think anyone buys a game because of the demo bonus for pre-ordering....I think they're the type of people who are already sold on the game, regardless of reviews.  It also happens a lot over Steam, where people pre-order upcoming games more than in store anyways so that they can cache and be ready to play as soon as they're unlocked.  I've also noticed that most Steam pre-order deals are slightly discounted, including those that allow you access to the beta or demo.  It's usually like $4.99 off or something insignificant like that, but still...a far cry from paying for a demo.

I actually didn't realize that they were talking about paying for demos.  I thought they just meant that there won't be demos. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. You see, when it's actually literally just as easy or easier for me to get your game for free rather than paying for it, you should be trying to add value to the package in order to win me over.  It shouldn't be that way, but sadly, it is. The last thing you want to do is try to bleed me more. It only takes me buying one shitty demo and losing $5 to decide that torrents are my new demos.

MMOs are slightly different because the starter kit usually offers something like an extra month of free play when compared to a standard new account. This is just companies looking for new artificial revenue streams.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 11:17:59 AM »
I think D posted this above, but yea, this looks amazing:

&feature=player_embedded

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »
This is such bullshit.  Demos fall naturally out of game development.  Devs have to demonstrate periodically where they're at, during milestones and for the occasional VIPs.  Sprucing up a demo for public consumption is not that much more work, and falls under the advertising budget (since a demo is an interactive advertisement, after all).

To each his own.  I'm not paying for demos.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 02:24:55 PM »
Hells no. I don't even know what makes them think that this revenue stream can possibly exist. You don't fucking pay to test drive a car.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
I don't think anyone buys a game because of the demo bonus for pre-ordering....I think they're the type of people who are already sold on the game, regardless of reviews.  It also happens a lot over Steam, where people pre-order upcoming games more than in store anyways so that they can cache and be ready to play as soon as they're unlocked.  I've also noticed that most Steam pre-order deals are slightly discounted, including those that allow you access to the beta or demo.  It's usually like $4.99 off or something insignificant like that, but still...a far cry from paying for a demo.
The other thing is sometimes will throw in another game from the same dev's/publisher or a previous iteration in the series for FREE if you pre-load a game.

Steam's pretty slick w/ their pre-load deals.

I actually didn't realize that they were talking about paying for demos.  I thought they just meant that there won't be demos. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. You see, when it's actually literally just as easy or easier for me to get your game for free rather than paying for it, you should be trying to add value to the package in order to win me over.  It shouldn't be that way, but sadly, it is. The last thing you want to do is try to bleed me more. It only takes me buying one shitty demo and losing $5 to decide that torrents are my new demos.

MMOs are slightly different because the starter kit usually offers something like an extra month of free play when compared to a standard new account. This is just companies looking for new artificial revenue streams.
I usually don't do many demos, these days and age.

The thing w/ a demo is - if it's a game I really want, if I say don't meet some of the requirements (usually, it seems to be the processor requirement), I'll DL the demo and check to see how it runs. This has actually caused me to buy a game or flat-out not buy a game.

A few years back, I bought Max Payne 2 b/c the demo ran fantastic, despite my system being under the box's requirements (processor requirement).

On the other hand - Res Evil 5 PC, I tried the Benchmark program and it ran like shit on my aging rig. No surprise, since I was under the requirements. No sale, for now - since Benchmark program ran horrible on the PC.

The thing w/ MMO's is - you're usually paying that monthly fee so the dev's can add new content, fix bugs, improve performance, and (most importantly) support shit-loads of players at once on a server. That seems more logical then shelling out some $$$ to play a demo - which sounds like DLC treatment.

I would say have no problem w/ say shelling out $10-20 for a 5 hour game. But, really - that wouldn't be a "demo." That'd be more like an "episode" - like HL2 Episodes length or Sin Episodes: Emergance (Episode #1) Length.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Crysis 2 - Updated June 7th, 2010 with E3 2010 Trailer
« Reply #35 on: Monday, June 07, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »
In general, I'm just getting tired of all these teaser trailers lately and CG-only trailers - I want to see some gameplay footage, dammit!!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #36 on: Monday, June 07, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
I want to see a PC trailer already.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
I want to see a PC trailer already.

Dude, check out the "Cloak And Dagger" Trailer.
I don't know what system is being shown there, but damn - the action looks awesome...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Crysis 2 - Updated on July 3, 2010 - delayed until Q1 2011
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »
Crytek is having a Crysis 2 Closed Multiplayer for X360 only.

They've got limited tokens, so sign up fast!

As part of our continuing Crysis 2 development we will be performing a multiplayer test starting very soon. For this test we will be inviting various community members to take part and help us push the game to its limits so we can make any adjustments necessary and ensure that we deliver the gameplay experience we know everyone wants to see!

There are a very limited number of tokens available which is why we want to make sure you, our valued community gets a chance to participate.

This tech test is limited to Xbox 360 consoles only this time around, so if you are interested in participating and you have an Xbox 360 gold account ready to go then please sign up below for a chance to participate in our multiplayer test!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Crysis 2 - Updated on July 3, 2010 - delayed until Q1 2011
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
Crytek is having a Crysis 2 Closed Multiplayer for X360 only.

Uh-oh - what about the PC?  :o
*Rhetorical question*