Author Topic: Guitar Hero Thread  (Read 14323 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Guitar Hero Thread
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
i completed medium ages ago, but only really started to attack hard today. i'd tried before, but yeah, the extra fret really kicked my ass. i stuck at it today though and i think i've broken the back of the learning curve. it's still insanely hard, i'm barely scraping through the songs - but it's satisfying to of hopped up to the next difficulty.

the way i did it was to repeat one song over and over (mother) until i finally scraped through. i found it necessary to save star power for the solos too. once i'd managed one song, i got through the next bunch without nearly as much trouble.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2007, 09:13:39 PM »
What he said. I moved up to hard properly today. I'm finding it tough, but possible, so far. My breaking song was Surrender.
|

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 05:29:44 AM »
I've been stuck on Hangar 18 for a week and a half now. It's the only song I have left in Expert (except for Free Bird, of course), and it kills me every time at the exact same spot (84%). I've probably tried it at least 40 times by now. The first "hard" solo I can scrape by using Star Power, but then I've got nothing for the second hard solo which comes a few seconds later.

The song is terrible, too. Once I beat it I'm never playing it again!!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 06:17:46 AM »
The song is terrible, too.

You are dead to me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 07:03:47 AM »
Hangar 18 is basically a stamina song. If you can learn to play one of those solos without star power then you'll pass it no problem, as long as you don't get tired. Freebird is basically the same way. The song itself is pretty easy, but it's hard not to get a bit tired playing it.

Have any of you played the original Guitar Hero? Hammer-ons/Pull-offs are basically impossible on it, but the songs are much, much better; way more fun to play. Guitar Hero songs with Guitar Hero 2 rules would be perfect

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »
You are dead to me.

Honestly, Que, it sounds like somebody is slaughtering a horse with an assortment of power tools :P

If you can learn to play one of those solos without star power then you'll pass it no problem

Maybe true, but that's a rather difficult "if"... Right now I'm having trouble hitting half of the solo notes in practice mode, using the "Slower" speed!

Have any of you played the original Guitar Hero? Hammer-ons/Pull-offs are basically impossible on it, but the songs are much, much better; way more fun to play. Guitar Hero songs with Guitar Hero 2 rules would be perfect

They could easily do it too, if they just released more downloadable song packs...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »
Hangar 18, terrible?  That hurts my brain reading that.

Also, I pulled myself away from Odin Sphere for a little bit last night and got past Psychobilly Freakout on Expert on my 2nd try.  Now I just have Free Bird, Hangar 18, Misirlou, and Institutionalized left.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2007, 03:45:21 AM by TheOtherBelmont »

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 03:54:55 PM »
Sorry, but I hate Hangar 18 too.
|

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 05:35:08 PM »
Sorry, but I hate Hangar 18 too.

Have either you or DrSbiatso heard the original version of the song?  The one on Guitar Hero II is a cover so its not quite up to the quality of the original.  Rust In Peace is probably Megadeth's best album and my favorite.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »
This may seem ironic, being that I came here due to following Que on FAWM, but I'm really not a fan of metal much at all.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 05:49:23 PM »
Yeah, Natch and I seem to share a good bit of musical stuff in common, but our focuses are different.

I guess it'll just be me, Pyro, and Tet who buy the all death metal guitar hero that will surely come to pass someday.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 05:50:37 PM »
Guitar Hero 80s, though, if that had shit like the Cure? I'd be all over that.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 05:54:09 PM »
I honestly haven't followed that one at all.  I'm very much not into the 80s music scene, at least when it comes to what people usually associate with the 80s.  I mean, there was plenty of good thrash back then, some interesting indie stuff, and all kinds of burgeoning little genres that blew up later, but I have no idea what's coming to the 80s GH game.  Harmonix isn't even doing that one, right?  Aren't they like done with the series?

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 05:55:48 PM »
No Harmonix, but Activision and Red Octane. It looks bad to me, though, all hair metal bands.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »
I'm generally not into that.  I mean, there are a few exceptions, but unless it's good heavy thrash, most of the 80s metal stuff is kinda' meh to me.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 06:35:13 PM »
I'm generally not into that.  I mean, there are a few exceptions, but unless it's good heavy thrash, most of the 80s metal stuff is kinda' meh to me.

Same here, most of the 80's shit that's going to be on there is going to be hair bands like Whitesnake, Poison, and some pop rock one hit wonder garbage.  I highly doubt there is going to be any good heavy thrash.  If anything the 80's Guitar Hero is going to be like an expansion, not a true sequel.  The only good that might come out of doing a specific genre is the hope that they will do a strictly metal Guitar Hero in the future.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »
the cure  = best. 80's. band. evar. but yeah, they aren't exactly prime candidates for guitar hero. more about the bass lines than the solos.

i've just got past carry on my wayward son. fuck, that song was hard. took me more attempts than any other song so far.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 07:08:07 PM »
carry on my wayward son is awesome, love that song.

and if you look at the tracklist, theres plenty in 80s that isn't hair metal, but I haven't seen any pure metal either. mostly songs with cool riffs, which is all you need in a guitar hero game.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, June 14, 2007, 03:30:24 AM »
the cure  = best. 80's. band. evar. but yeah, they aren't exactly prime candidates for guitar hero. more about the bass lines than the solos.

The Kiss, man. The Kiss.

Maybe Bloodflowers.
|

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, June 14, 2007, 01:06:39 PM »
I've only started Medium.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #60 on: Friday, June 15, 2007, 10:40:17 AM »
Does anybody know if there's a wireless guitar controller for the 360 version of this?  I really want to buy it, but a wired guitar just isn't happening.

I'm thinking of waiting for GH III

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: Friday, June 15, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »
Guitar Hero III isn'y made by Harmonix. Theres some videos out showing some features that are absolute shit. I'm not sure how they could mess up a Guitar Hero game, but they've certainly found a few paths.

Anyways, theres wireless guitars for PS2 so there might be some for 360

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 05:42:55 PM »
Upon day of release, GH3 for the X360 will get a patch to add a Co-Op Offline Mode to the game.

Guitar Hero III Patch Adding New Offline Mode
Launch day update includes offline co-op quickplay.
By Patrick Klepek, 10/26/2007

When Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock launches next Tuesday, Activision, Red Octane and Neversoft will also deliver a patch via Xbox Live. The patch apparently enables offline co-op quickplay on the Xbox 360 version, reads a fact sheet delivered to 1UP alongside a review build of the game.

There's no mention of an impending patch for the PlayStation 3 and Wii versions, but we assume they're in the works or already part of the game that will be on shelves next week. We'll be checking with the companies involved and pass on the complete answer Monday.

We've already seen this in the PC world, but patches on the day of launch are a new concept to consoles. Hopefully, this is just a one-time oversight.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
I've been playing this for PS2 since last night and I'm having a blast, the new features and style to the game are a great addition.  The animated cut scenes were a nice surprise that I had no idea about.  I finished it on Normal on Career and now I'm playing Co-op Career with my roommate and were having a blast.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #64 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 09:28:15 PM »
Knights of Cydonia on Hard totally ruins my ass.  Damn.  Fun though.  I got it for the Wii.  And the twangs when you mess up coming from the Wiimote and the vibrating when you use Star Power is a nice little touch.  Very fun.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 01:10:18 AM »
Knights of Cydonia on Hard totally ruins my ass.  Damn.  Fun though.  I got it for the Wii.  And the twangs when you mess up coming from the Wiimote and the vibrating when you use Star Power is a nice little touch.  Very fun.

That song is so fun on co-op, my roommate and I got through it and 4 starred it on hard, now we are stuck on "One", we got to 99% complete twice and failed.  We shall try again tomorrow.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #66 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 06:16:14 AM »
The last tier on expert is crazy.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #67 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 04:14:40 PM »
A buddy of mine just picked up GH3 yesterday and we ran through co-op on medium to give it all a whirl. It's pretty sweet, and some of those songs are ones you can tell they've been dying to use. I like the increased amount of original recordings, too - also that there are nicely established bands in the bonus songs. Kaiser Chiefs, ferchrissakes.
|

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »
I tried the GH3 demo on the 360.  That's my 1st experience ever with GH.  It's OK, but I imagine the guitar controller would make it better.  The middle difficulty was plenty hard enough for me with the normal controller.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 05:40:26 PM »
It's just not fun at all without a controller. There's no point in playing unless you have one.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #70 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 06:52:13 PM »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 07:19:20 PM »
8.0 from GameSpot for PS3, X360.

7.5 for PS2

I agree with the difficulty about new players picking this up, but not with his comments about the boss battles, I enjoyed the boss battles, they do need some fine tuning but they aren't as bad as he made them seem.  7.5 seems a bit too low and even 8 seems a bit harsh, but whatever, I'm enjoying the game.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #72 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 07:52:46 PM »
Yea, 7.5 is a little low, but I can see how no online play can hit that back a little for the PS2. The no quickplay coop mode I could care less for. You have to unlock songs either way, theres really not much difference between quickplay and career in the first place, I barely do quickplay in the other 2 games anyway. Boss battles seems to be the big debate, I think they sound cool from what you told me Tet. Im still really wanting it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 03:13:56 AM »
Dragonlor and I FINALLY got through career co-op mode on hard, "One" is so god damn hard, I didn't feel too bad when I was reading that other people were hitting the same brick wall we were on that song, I don't even want to know how ridiculous it is going to be on Expert.

One of my main complaints about this game though, is that pretty much all of the bonus songs you have to buy in the shop suck ass, I only like maybe two of them, but nothing really special like on the first two games.  The main set list more than makes up for that though.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 03:42:37 AM »
Fuck "One" on guitar hero III.  We had to actually pause the game two times during it just to rest.  But other then that the game from what I have played is pretty awesome.  Once I get the version I want for the Wii I be able to experience the boss battles and shit myself.  I don't want to ruin that by playing Belmont's PS2 copy.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »
So I picked up GH3 today, gonna put some serious time into tonight. I really shouldnt have picked this up because I cant really afford it but I blame Belmont for all of it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
Went through my first boss battle. I thought it was going to be hard, but it really didnt take much to beat it. Kinda fun though since your just kinda free form rockin with Tom Morello. We'll see how the later challenges get.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 12:02:39 AM »
The battle with Slash was tougher.  And a little bit cheap.  You've got to be a little more conservative with using your battle powerups when duelling him.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 12:42:31 AM »
Alright, theres some good songs on here, but some absolute fucking awful ones. "Kool Thing" by Sonic Youth is just atrocious, I could barely get passed that trash, not because it was hard, but because I got so bored with it. And then next up is a Weezer song, fucking yay!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 02:38:15 AM »
Well, so far yes, Im having a lot of fun with it as Im done for tonight. I do have an issue with it however. The Slash boss battle was sucky, it just got damn frustrating, actually Hoobs advice saved me in the end. I hate repeating songs too much, which is where I pretty much quit, but its different with boss battles. Its takes a little more luck than Id like with this. The powerups are random and some are just useless. Normally you feel accomplished after finishing a song, but with this, even if you do awesome, you can still lose. But probably the biggest issue I have with the game is its difficulty, well maybe not the difficulty, but the more forgiving song playing when hitting notes. Is it just me or can you get by when playing much more sloppier? Either I've gotten really fuckin good or its been more merciful on some solos I get by on. Im really not sure. Oh well, I still got the other half of the game to finish, so theres much harder shit to get through.