Author Topic: Far Cry 2  (Read 13211 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FAR CRY 2 Thread - Update: Patch 1.02 due out next week around Dec 8-11th
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 05:16:08 AM »
No disabling hints?

Well every good game released post 1999 must have at least one retarded aspect. It is almost like a prerequisite.
Among many.

FC2 has other problems like the respawn rate and the durability of the enemies around. When you clear a guard-post they will respawn as soon as you give it a little distance (if you get just outside the map area), suddenly it's fully restocked. That alone is a pain in the ass but to top it off they're pretty resilient fookers too! A .50cal machine gun (which in reality can rip through a line of soldiers like a chainsaw through butter) takes a shitload to take one out. Fortunately, at least a headshot is a sure kill.

The game feels unbalanced in some ways. It's alright overall but it gets monotomous very quickly.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »
Yeah, that is annoying. If you play the "insane" difficulty, it takes a ridiculous amount of ammo to kill one guy, and you can't hold much ammo at all. You are pretty much forced to use the jeep to get everywhere just because of the 50 cal on top. You won't have enough ammo to take everyone out otherwise.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »
I can't imagine how irritating that would be. I'm playing on the normal difficulty.

I've resorted to taking most of my missions at night so I can sneak around and snipe with the Dart Rifle (basically a silenced sniper) and knife them up close.

I'm taking a break from it right now.. At least until the next patch comes out. Hopefully it'll fix the framerate issues.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
I'm sure that I will get tired of it eventually, but right now I'm having fun running through the jungle killing shit. It's quite mindless. I also found this little dune buggy type vehicle which goes fast and is a blast to drive (although I wish that it would go faster).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: FAR CRY 2 Thread - Update: Big 3 Reviews; FC2 is Securom IE with revokes
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 06:20:29 PM »
PC version for $30 sounds a little more reasonable w/ a Securom activation and revoke system in place and all than say $50.

EDIT:
As y'all might've noticed in the FO3 Thread, there's a FC2 patch up there too on that same post -- for those getting the usual Securom "Emulation software detected" issue which just won't allow the game to boot.

Securom have put up instructions and a patch for your FC2 PC game on their website to drop the issue. Follow instructions to get it going.

I'm guessing you probably shouldn't use the patch if you have NO issues (like say FO3).

Also guessing that since it's the same issue FO3 has, if you have Roxio installed, just make sure to disable the Drag and Drop feature before you boot the game up. Or make sure you boot your PC up w/ that Roxio feature disable.
This shit pisses me off.  I have Daemon Tools installed and I have forever.  I find it incredibly useful and use it all the time and you know what?  100% of the times I've used it in the last two years have been for a legitimate purposes.  I play around with VMware all the time.  I have three regular servers but my other three are constantly changing as I test different operating systems and things.  All of the discs I get from MSDNAA are in ISO form and I usually mount them in Daemon Tools and then mount that virtual drive to my VMware server and install things that way.  It's all very intuitive and nice.

I realize that pirated games also come in ISO and BIN/CUE format but I'm sorry, that does not automatically mean that Daemon Tools and its kin are automatically tools used for only illegitimate purposes.  You know, once I used a credit card to break back into my office after I locked my keys in, maybe companies should start blocking those too!  Credit cards are the tools of criminals!

The fact that SecuROM throws up a red flag for Roxio is hilarious too, considering I would imagine that is generally used by more casual computer users.

I mean it's just jaw-droppingly retarded how this is all going down.  Bioshock was just the beginning.  Now we're seeing shit like what's bundled with GTA4 and even some third-party Steam games are coming with limited installs, which baffles me to no end.

I love my PC gaming, and I'm sad to see it coming to this.  I can think of several recent PC games that I would have definitely bought if it wasn't for these ludicrous DRM schemes on there.  I mean it just amazes me.  The publishers talk and talk about lost sales due to piracy... I wonder if they even realize or care they are losing sales to legitimate consumers!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »
Scott, I agree with you 100%. If you're a legit user, it shouldn't matter what programs you have installed. The DRM should find a way to say, "you're legit" without doing some stupid unnecessary insrusive crap. I don't use Daemon Tools, but I do have Nero on this PC -- luckily, Securom throws up no red flags there (probably b/c I don't run Nero drivers in the background).

This install limit BS gots to go -- it's just stupid. All it does is try to limit gamers from wanting to rebuy it on Ebay or other online auction reselling websites. Even then, people might still re-buy it there -- and then get the crack (if one exists, which is likely). So, what's the point?

This DRM BS gots to go, too. All the rootkeys, hidden registries, drivers specific to certain OS's -- it's just plain dumb. It's just another way for them to decide to re-release the game again later and make you pay for it -- AGAIN. Even if it's dirt cheap.

I would've bought from EA the following: Dead Space, Spore, Mass Effect for the PC upon their release date, if it wasn't for their NO revokes BS. I'm sorry, but I just can't tolerate NO revokes for regular price ($30-50) upon a game's release. Call me when it's $10 or less -- and likely by that time, the DRM might've been removed by then officially (maybe) or unofficially (definitely likely).

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, December 04, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »
So I'm having a blast with the game so far, even though it's pretty ridiculous as a concept. I mean, with the exception of a few friends, the entire country seems to be hostile exclusively to me. People driving down the road will literally try and run me over when they see me. And yet they all seem to be friendly towards each other.

But, suspending reality, I'm really enjoying it. It's absolutely gorgeous, and at the moment I'm just driving around checking out the different areas. Just hit some grasslands as the sun was rising, and there were zebra frolicking and everything was glowing from the sunrise. Beautiful. Then I found a massive waterfall and a hang glider near it, which I used to soar down the falls. Until I crashed into a wall and fell to my death. Apparently I suck at hang gliding. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, December 04, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »
So I'm having a blast with the game so far, even though it's pretty ridiculous as a concept. I mean, with the exception of a few friends, the entire country seems to be hostile exclusively to me. People driving down the road will literally try and run me over when they see me. And yet they all seem to be friendly towards each other.

That was another gripe I had. Everyone seems to want to shoot me on site except in the no-fire zone. I understand they could be trying to convey how fictional Africa is a hostile place but c'mon!!

But, suspending reality, I'm really enjoying it. It's absolutely gorgeous, and at the moment I'm just driving around checking out the different areas. Just hit some grasslands as the sun was rising, and there were zebra frolicking and everything was glowing from the sunrise. Beautiful. Then I found a massive waterfall and a hang glider near it, which I used to soar down the falls. Until I crashed into a wall and fell to my death. Apparently I suck at hang gliding. 
The environment and scenery are beautifully done. The way the light emanates from the sun and shines on everything is fantastic. Sunrises and sunsets are serene. The waterfalls are majestic!

From a design point FC2 was masterfully crafted. It's just the gameplay gets kinda dry after a little while. I'm hoping mods will fix that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Monday, December 08, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »
NEW Intel Bonus Missions released on Intel's website.

Download it now!

Exclusive to Intel Game On – two new missions for Far Cry* 2

Get the most out of Far Cry* 2 with add-on missions exclusive to Intel Game On. These explosive bonus missions add depth and twists to Far Cry 2’s enthralling plot. But most of all, they add even more compelling game play.

These missions are exclusive to Intel Game On. You won’t find them anywhere else.
3 hours of new game play brought to you by Intel

These bonus missions extend Far Cry 2’s game play by a whole 3 gripping hours. They bristle with extraordinarily coolness, and make the most of Far Cry 2’s signature graphical excellence and real-world physics modelling. Intel collaborated with developers Ubisoft Montreal, to ensure that both missions bring out the best in Far Cry 2’s unique hyper-real depiction of war-ravaged Africa. Make no mistake: this is the stuff your Intel® Core™2 Extreme was made for.

Mission 1: the Morrocan

This mission sends you into the most heavily guarded region of the Leboa-Sako territory. Hiding out at the old Legion fort is a Moroccan who might be able to help you locate the Jackal. Your objective is to locate him and find out what he knows.

Mission 2: the American

Your predecessor has tracked down the American informant to the Dogon village in the rocky northern ranges. Your objective: follow his trail and find out what the informant told him.
How to get these missions

These bonus missions are two of six in total that you can unlock and play. When you complete the first six, you will be able to play a seventh bonus mission.

However, the two missions brought to you by Intel Game On can only be unlocked by downloading and running the exclusive Intel Game On program below. Simply run FarCry2IntelMissions.exe from your PC to get access to the first mission: ‘The Morrocan’. Completing that mission unlocks the second mission: ‘The American’.

There’s no time to lose. Pick up the Moroccan’s trail now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »
So, I installed this and started this up today. Yeah, it's pretty kick-ass. I can't seem to put it down. From a design point, very good in just about every regard. Even the voice-acting is good here, too.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: FAR CRY 2 Thread
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 03:22:38 PM »
It's a fun little game, but it does get old after awhile.

Still, one of the most gorgeous things that I've seen in a PS3 game so far was the sunrise in the savanna with zebra running around. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
Just installed the new patch v1.02 gonna test it out soon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »
Just installed the new patch v1.02 gonna test it out soon.

Did you install the Intel Bonus Missions, too?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »
Did you install the Intel Bonus Missions, too?
Yes, not sure how to initiate them though. I think they show up on the map or something.

Honestly, I've been too lazy to fish out the disc and put it in the drive just to try it out. Been busy with other stuff and I'm more likely to play games that don't require the disc in the drive.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, December 25, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »
WTF @ this game!

I've tried two of the rescue missions and I think hit bugs TWICE.

With Michele at the Lumber Yard...
(click to show/hide)

The Fresh Fish Girl, Save Her Quest...
(click to show/hide)

A big WTF?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, December 25, 2008, 09:05:18 AM »
Weird.

I get the impression the studio only developed FC2 because the higher-ups insisted. Overall it just feels soulless.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, December 25, 2008, 09:07:50 AM »
Weird.

I get the impression the studio only developed FC2 because the higher-ups insisted. Overall it just feels soulless.

It's not really weird -- as I've been checking The Ubi Forums for FC2 and a lot of others had trouble with the "Rescue your buddy" quests and then nothing happens when you go back to Mike's Bar.

So.... *shrug*
I dunno, but it's aggravating -- since I really like this game and wanna keep on going.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 06:35:49 AM »
Far Cry 2's next patch is going to add some stuff MP gamers been wanting (for ALL platforms).
You'll also be able to play in a new mode called "Hardcore mode" for the MP side of things.
Here's some details on it.

We didn't know anyone wandered into Far Cry 2's expansive, hojillion-hour-long single-player campaign and somehow managed to make time to check out the game's multiplayer offerings, but apparently there's a sizable community of online FC2 players out there. This group has been calling for more realistic match settings for quite some time -- players can apparently catch more lead than Sonny Corleone and walk away with little more than a scratch and an interesting story.

Their pleas have been answered -- in a recent post on the FC2 community blog, the game's developers announced a patch which will, in addition to rebalancing the weapons in all multiplayer modes, add a more realistic "hardcore setting" to all match types. This mode will boost the damage for all weapons (ensuring speedier demises) and will let players tweak the "spawn times" (but not the "spawn rates", whatever that means). They didn't specify which platforms the patch will be landing on -- hopefully, they'll be affording a hasty death to all three.

Update: The update is coming to "all platforms". Huzzah!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FAR CRY 2 - Update: Next patch will add "Hardcore Mode" for Multiplayer
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, March 19, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »
Far Cry 2: Fortune Pack DLC has been released THROUGH Steam for the PC.
If you buy this DLC through Steam, this DLC is ONLY for the Steam version of FC2.

No clue on if the retail version of FC2 will get their own version of the Fortune Pack DLC on the PC yet.

This Downloadable Content requires the Steam version of Far Cry 2 in order to play.

Three brand new weapons, which can be found in the armory:

* Silenced Shotgun
    * Sawed-off shotgun
    * Crossbow

Two new vehicles, which can be found at various locations throughout the the game in place of cars or other vehicles:

* Unimog (big truck)
    * Quad

Five new Multiplayer maps:
                + Cheap Labor
                + Last Resort
                + Lake Smear
                + Fort Fury
                + Jungle Seizure

All the new weapons and vehicles will be available in Single-player and Multiplayer modes.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FAR CRY 2 - Fortune Pack DLC on sale on Steam for Steam FC2 only (Reply #60)
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, March 19, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
Lame but it's a boring game anyway so big whoop.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FAR CRY 2 - Fortune Pack DLC on sale on Steam for Steam FC2 only (Reply #60)
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, March 19, 2009, 02:24:55 PM »
I just wish they'd fix the bleeping save corruption bugs that don't allow you to finish some main quests, first...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #63 on: Friday, March 20, 2009, 02:11:35 AM »
I wish they would have fixed the quicksave option and stopped it from making a separate save file each time! At the end of each session I end up with 30-40 extra saves flooding my Save/Load page and each file around 5 to 10MB.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: FAR CRY 2 - Update: Games Radar Article on Far Cry 2 still broken (Reply 64)
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »
Yeah, it's kind of a shame that the game is still in such condition.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FAR CRY 2 - Update: Games Radar Article on Far Cry 2 still broken (Reply 64)
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »
Yeah, it's kind of a shame that the game is still in such condition.

I agree.
Especially since I really like the game, too.

Fix the issues and UbiSoft Montreal really got something awesome on their hands here...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 06:14:01 PM »
I agree.
Especially since I really like the game, too.

Fix the issues and UbiSoft Montreal really got something awesome on their hands here...
It's an okay game, but much like most other open-world games I get bored of running around quickly.

Production quality is great but the game feels like it has no soul, like it was only developed because the corporate office demanded it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 01:43:02 AM »
Ubifuckingsoft.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 04:20:59 AM »
Ubifuckingsoft.

Yeah, UbiSoft has gotten on my nerves of late.

No DLC going to be ported over to the PC for POP 2008; not letting us know when they're fixing a broken Far Cry 2 (even though they say they are working on it) and it's already SEVEN months later; releasing poorly performing ports to the PC (see GRAW 1; R6: Vegas; SC: Double Agent); and that's just for starters.

I'm sure there's more things they done that I can bitch about, if I can think of them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »
Far Cry 2 for the X360 has been patched MAJORLY.
MAJOR update with lots of fixes, changes, additions, and whatnot.

An announcement on the PC and PS3 versions getting this patch will be coming...

Quote from: Raide of UbiSoft
We will update on the PS3 and PC patch as soon as we know. Hopefully not too far away from this 360 launch.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 09:41:24 PM »
Great... now I am going to delay my start even further.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #72 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 05:49:20 PM »
Good news:
Far Cry 2 PC - Patch 1.03 is done finally. Yay!

Bad news:
Though, they are having some issues w/ the installer w/ some versions of the game, so they are working on fixing that.
I guess we can expect this patch very soon, I'd say...

Posted Thu May 28 2009 07:27
Hi guys. We know you're wondering why nothing new has been said about a PC update when consoles have recently received one.

The patch is done, as is our new Linux dedicated server application. Unfortunately we have experienced issues with the patch installer in some specific versions.

Our team are working hard on it in order to provide a high quality patch as soon as possible. As soon as we have further info on this we'll let you know, we hope to be seeing you online soon!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: FAR CRY 2 - Update: PC Patch 1.03 done, but installer being fixed (Reply 72)
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, September 06, 2009, 04:13:15 AM »
So I played about an hour of it. So far it is technically impressive, but it just feels... soulless. I like the dreary look, and the dry color palette that really makes the whole thing feel like a parched piece of Africa, but it just lacks spirit.

I hope my opinion changes when I play more.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: FAR CRY 2 - Update: PC Patch 1.03 done, but installer being fixed (Reply 72)
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, September 06, 2009, 06:18:22 AM »
So I played about an hour of it. So far it is technically impressive, but it just feels... soulless. I like the dreary look, and the dry color palette that really makes the whole thing feel like a parched piece of Africa, but it just lacks spirit.

I hope my opinion changes when I play more.
I liked FC2 quite a bit b/c of how technically impressive it is -- but you're right, it lacks a little bit of soul. The action is always awesome and impressive, in combat.

Maybe it's the real lack of storytelling early on that does it. It feels like everything's a mission -- and often, some of the side missions feel too much alike, too. And often, it doesn't push the story ahead very much of The Jackal.

It's the main mission that's worthwhile. Yeah, the game gets better, once it gets more focused on the main story, around half way through -- when there's a lot more focus on The Jackal, instead of the two factions more or less jerking you around for barely any info on the guy.

The final level(s) are just awesome -- I'll say that much.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, February 04, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
Steam Weekend Deal - 50% off Far Cry games.

Far Cry = $4.99
Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition = $9.99

Far Cry: Complete Steam Pack = $14.99
[Comes w/ Far Cry + Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition]

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: FAR CRY 2 - Update: Far Cry games = 50% off on Steam (Reply 76)
« Reply #77 on: Monday, May 24, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »
So what was the final verdict on this one? I noticed the other day that walmart has FC2 in a jewel case for $10, and I read the DRM and such was patched out so it might be kind of fun to give it a spin, especially since I have been tempted to install FC1 recently.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Monday, May 24, 2010, 11:45:01 AM »
Game felt pretty soulless to me. Probably worth a $10 ride though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Monday, May 24, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
So what was the final verdict on this one? I noticed the other day that walmart has FC2 in a jewel case for $10, and I read the DRM and such was patched out so it might be kind of fun to give it a spin, especially since I have been tempted to install FC1 recently.

You can tell it's a UbiSoft Montreal game from their early experimentation days w/ open-world games - see Assassin's Creed 1 and Far Cry 2. Repetitive side quests get boring fast - especially the cut & paste lookin' areas for safe-houses and gun-fire areas.

Though, main missions are good and much more unique and interesting.

Overall, it's decent - but it really could've been greater than it turned-out to be...

Better story-telling and more emphasis on The Jackal than what was there would've really helped the game out...

Like Pug said - it's worth $10 or so.