Author Topic: New Aliens vs Predator game! (2000 original on steam now for $5)  (Read 11055 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: New Aliens vs Predator game! (2000 original on steam now for $5)
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »
Wow that's a bit too real for me.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 03:36:40 PM »
Thats pretty brutal.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
That's pretty metal.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
After that screenshot, I'm so looking forward to this game!

Oh yea, first 10 minutes of alien gameplay.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:50:49 PM »
Looks pretty cool!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 05:35:49 PM »
Not only is this new AVP going to be on Steam, its going to require it thanks to Steamworks.

Interest level just hit zero.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #47 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »
Likewise.  Oh well, they're probably going to want $60 for it anyway.  Fuck 'em.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #48 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »
Gameplay footage doesn't have me sold yet.  It appears to be exactly like the 1999 game with updated graphics. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #49 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
Not only is this new AVP going to be on Steam, its going to require it thanks to Steamworks.

Interest level just hit zero.

I'm sure this New AVP will be on one of those Steam deals down the line real cheap, in a year or so...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »
You must be confusing me with someone that buys stuff on Steam. They would have to be giving it away, and even then I would just add it to my Steam list but never download it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 08:32:19 PM »
You must be confusing me with someone that buys rents stuff on Steam.
Does that look better? :P

They would have to be giving it away, and even then I would just add it to my Steam list but never download it.
Oh yuh - you're on 56K still. :(

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #52 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
Damn this thread!  It keeps reminding me of the fact that I have no idea where my AVP2 disc is!

You know, I probably should hate Steam, but I just don't.  I know that at any moment Valve could pull the rug out from under me and then *poof*!  There go all my games I bought through Steam, as well as other things like COD:MW2.  But despite that and previous problems I've had with offline mode, I really harbor no ill will towards Steam at all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »
Damn this thread!  It keeps reminding me of the fact that I have no idea where my AVP2 disc is!

You know, I probably should hate Steam, but I just don't.  I know that at any moment Valve could pull the rug out from under me and then *poof*!  There go all my games I bought through Steam, as well as other things like COD:MW2.  But despite that and previous problems I've had with offline mode, I really harbor no ill will towards Steam at all.
At least Steam actually wants to sell/rent lots of PC games to me....
And during their crazy sales, at really good prices, too! :)

If Steam does go under and offline mode still runs my games or there's some patch released so I can run those Steam-version games w/out Steam, that'd be mad cool. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #54 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 10:35:08 PM »
I was thinking about it tonight, and I think one of the reasons I hate Steam so much is that it turned out to be everything I feared it would when they announced it.  I was a fan of Valve back in those days, but when they announced Steam I just didn't trust them.  They hadn't built up any real legacy, hadn't given me any reason to trust them with something so important.  I kept thinking, "It sounds cool in some ways, but I'm afraid of <xxxxx>..." and pretty much every bad thought I had materialized in exactly the way I feared it might.  Steam really is my worst nightmare as far as digital distribution goes.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Gameplay footage doesn't have me sold yet.  It appears to be exactly like the 1999 game with updated graphics. 

Haven't seen it yet, but that sounds pretty good hehe. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
AVP Classic 2000 patched on Steam.
MP support has been instituted right back into this version of the game through Steam.

'Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000' Patch Brings Multiplayer to Steam
by Chris Faylor Jan 29, 2010 10:01am CST tags: Aliens versus Predator
Aliens versus Predator

Having recently released a reworked version of its decade-old shooter Aliens versus Predator that's more compatible with modern systems, developer Rebellion has now patched multiplayer support into Steam re-release.

As with all games on Steam, Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 will automatically download the latest patch--unless you've disabled the option, that is. The notes:

* Integrated with Steam overlay
    * Uses Steam name
    * Host/join games via bare-bones in-game lobby browser
    * Can invite and join friends and other players via the Steam overlay
    * Currently no way to create private games (will patch)
    * Game attempts host migration
    * Dedicated servers are not supported or planned

As for Rebellion's all-new Aliens vs. Predator game, that hits PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 come February 16, with the PC version utilizing Steam for matchmaking.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
Ooh, nice! Any idea if it's single or multi?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
No clue.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »
Ive read its a multiplayer demo.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2010, 10:29:06 PM »
Ewww, apparently it's deathmatch only. No species/team DM.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, February 04, 2010, 07:51:27 AM »
OK I just tried it out for a bit. Something about the visuals feels sort of dated, and the map design does as well (for the 1 map available). My biggest gripe thus far is that the marine fucking sucks. The pulse rifle does shit for damage and you lose all visibility to it's muzzle flash, and the shotgun isn't much better in the damage deparement. I shot an alien in relatively close range 4 times, then he 2 shot me with a melee. I found that the best way to deal with an alien (unless you can catch him by surprise with nowhere to run) is to melee him when he gets close, which knocks him down and gives you a second to throw more bullets at him. Maybe I should be blocking? That seems really stupid, but maybe that would help. As a marine, marines are the easiest kills (whoever sees the other first wins, unless one has a shotgun, then he wins). I think melee is just really strong in the game, and marine is the most range-based race.

Are the alien or predator fun? I have no idea. The game seems to only allow for 3 of each race. So the instant the lobby forms, everyone jumps into the alien and predator slots, and if you're too slow you're stuck as a marine. Since the matches the game sets up for you are 8 players, that means 2 people are stuck as marines wether they like it or not. PC and console demos both use matchmaking, and after a 10 minutes game, it dumps you back to the matchmaking screen instead of letting you play another round.

The game is something I definitely want, if just for the single player. But just from the visuals and map design, I'm questioning if it would be worth playing to anyone who's not into Aliens or Predator. I may cancel my preorder and get it when it drops in price a bit. I wish I had a single player demo to mess with.

EDIT: I managed to get an alien slot, and it's way, way more fun. It's also a LOT easier to actually kill people. You have a really slow and strong attack, and a faster light attack. The strong attack 1 shots marines. There's a context sensitive grab thing, but by the time you get that close to someone, they're aware of you and it's a bitch to pull off. I also miss the leap attack from AvP2. You have a "focus" key that when held and targetting a player allowed me to jump at them, but I don't think it did any damage.

I think the visuals aren't really that bad, but it feels sort of like they made the game on an old and dated engine. There's blurry textures, and the environments seem pretty simplistic. I think these, plus the sounds (especially footsteps) really remind me of Alien Resurrection for PSX. No it doesn't look like a PSOne game, but it reminds me of that in style, which oddly makes me want AvP more. It also makes me wish I had a PS2 to play AR again.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 04, 2010, 08:16:35 AM by W7RE »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, February 04, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
Some MP gameplay footage

It's the MP demo, but it looks pretty unpolished and dated.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, February 04, 2010, 08:20:11 PM »
Apparently when you block you can attack right after for a counterattack, which is stronger I guess.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »
GameSpot review for AVP (2010)
5.5 for X360 and PS3 (out of 10)

Video Review - Low-Def.
Video Review - High-Def.
Written review.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »
awww

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 06:34:11 PM »
It's getting mixed reviews, but you know what? The multiplayer Demo was the number 3 most played game on Xbox Live last week.
http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/02/16/live-activity-for-week-of-feb-8th.aspx

I went ahead and picked up my preorder. I've played just a little of the marine campaign, and it's not bad. It's sort of old school level design wise. The graphics aren't bad, just a little dated looking. Just from what little I've played I could definitely see some 7/10 type scores unless it gets amazing or completely shit later on. I'd still say it seems like a worthy AvP entry, and being a diehard Aliens fan I didn't want to pass it up.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
My hopes weren't high based on what I saw from gameplay footage.  It looked sloppy and some mechanics looked quite awkward.  I think I'll skip this one.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 08:48:29 PM »
First mission (after the combat tutorial) of the Predator campaign and I'm jumping around in trees, using synthesized voice clips to distract humans, and stealthing up to make trophies out of them. You hold the left trigger and look around and jump to a location within a certain range. You can look at a marine and press X to select him for distract, then press X on another location to play a sound clip that makes him go investigate that location. Then you hit Y to stealth, and you drop down behind him, and hold X to rip his head off. If he notices you he'll turn and fire and you can't collect the trophy.

Also the Plasma Caster is kinda cool. You can quickly hit the fire button to fire off a somewhat innacurate, but faster, shot. Or you can hold it and the 3 red lines come in to form a triangle for lock on. Once all 3 are in, you can fire off an accurate shot. Maybe it's been too long since I played the other AvP games, but it seems like they looked pretty close at the predator movies for reference.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 02:09:24 AM »
I just played a bit more of the marine campaign. There's some pretty intense scripted moments. I just finished one where I had to run basically just run, but fight when stuff was in my way. It reminded me a bit of the escape in Aliens when Ripley drives in to get the marines out of the alien hive. Just the way I had aliens all over the place and had to pick my shots as I ran out. I wasn't even trying to kill, just wound so I could run.

I take back what I said about the graphics. It doesn't look amazing, but it does look good. The only real exception is the humans. They looks good sometimes, but look pretty lacking at other times. They seem to look the best when you're ripping them apart in the stealth kills.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 09:12:11 PM »
I was just reading something about this game and I now understand all the complaints about the controls. These people have got to be playing the PC version. Some examples:

-As the predator, you press one button to fire. You press and hold it to charge a lock on shot. If you want to cancel the shot, you press another key before releasing your fire key.
-As the predator, you hold down one key, aim where you want to jump, then press another key.
-As the alien, you have to press the spacebar to transition from one surface to another (I think a lot of people are missing the fact that you can hold it for auto-transition, or just toggle auto-transition in the options)
-As the alien, if you want to pounce someone, you hold one key, aim at them, then press another key.

All of this works find on a controller because you're talking about holding the left trigger while pressing other buttons. The only button not available while holding the left trigger is the left bumper button. On a PC that's a bit more complicated. Another example of the PC version suffering because of a console focus.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
Well, the people in the UK seem to like it.

AvP is the fastest selling game of 2010, and sold more copies than anything else in the week ending Feb 20th (it's first full week at retail)
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37651/UK-CHARTS-Aliens-vs-Predator-takes-No1

AvP #1 on the "All Formats Chart" for UK sales:
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=797&s=1111

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
No surprise, since Rebellion Development is in Oxford, England.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
No surprise, since Rebellion Development is in Oxford, England.

yeah, we all got together and decided the game was a bit shit, but we'd all buy it anyway because it was made in Oxford, England. because that's how the world works and this game wasn't built on two of the most popular sci-fi properties or a back catalogue of great games... wait.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #75 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »
Well the game is far from perfect, but it's fun. I'm not regretting my purchase. Also, despite being a huge aliens fan, and not as big a fan of predator, I've always liked the marine and alien stuff a lot more. In this game though, I feel like a badass as the predator.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:07:52 AM »
yeah, we all got together and decided the game was a bit shit, but we'd all buy it anyway because it was made in Oxford, England. because that's how the world works and this game wasn't built on two of the most popular sci-fi properties or a back catalogue of great games... wait.

haha... I read your post before Ds and I was a little confused.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »
Not every studio gets a second chance so quickly. Let's hope they make something very special.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 02:49:28 AM »
I think it's worthy of a sequel, though I do hope they address some of the issues with this one. I'd say this one is like a mixed bag of really cool ideas and some weird stuff that makes it feel like an older game. Like when you use the matchmaking to play a match, and as soon as it's done it boots you to the main matchmaking menu. Really? Not gonna change the map and keep it going? Also, I fought a queen in the marine campaign, but never shot her. Huh? You shoot at facehuggers and alien drones while waiting for someone on a radio to do some shit that will help kill the queen.