Author Topic: Clean your damn room! Get some lights on in here! Be quiet!  (Read 11511 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Clean your damn room! Get some lights on in here! Be quiet!
« on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
Setup your Kinect play space!

Also, no coffee tables.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Clean your damn room! Get some lights on in here! Be quiet!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 01:23:44 PM »
Cool!  Now all I need is a whole new fucking HOUSE with an empty big living room, and I'm golden.  Wee!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
So basically I have to be a pseudo-recording studio for Kinect to work.. Hmm.. I pride myself on my relative tidiness (I despise cluttered floors) but space is definitely an issue.. So is the location of my speakers.. and the lighting.. Yeah, there's no way that thing will run in my room.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
Well that won't work for me.  I've got a coffee table between where I sit and the TV.  And a 5.1 sound system will probably generate enough background noise.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »
i've probably got an above average level of interest in this (considering i'm not completely writing it off), but yeah - i think the best thing to do is wait until after it's released to see how this works with people who use the kinnect in normal size rooms with, you know, furniture and stuff.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 04:35:36 PM »
I got the Move.. It's pretty amazing. The Gladiator Duel in Sports Champions is awesome! Star Wars lightsaber duels in the future? I certainly hope so!

Sorry, I had to post this in here.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »
Feel free.  An improved Wiimote is exactly what MS should have brought us, instead of this arm-flapping abortion of a control scheme.  I hope Sony spanks their ass all the way back to Gates' garage.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 06:18:43 PM »
That's exactly it. The Move functions much like I imagined the Wiimote would when I first saw it. The range of motion and detection accuracy is phenomenal compared to the Wii, that's mostly thanks to the innovative use of the PS3Eye for added detection.

Admittedly, the Move needs some space as well for an ideal experience but nowhere near as much as Kinect's minimum requirement. I was able to manage in the 3 feet between my bed and my desk, about 3 feet from my TV screen. Naturally, the more players you have the more space you'll obviously need.

I can understand the appeal of the hands-free Kinect but from what I've seen it's not quite the desired controller/wand replacement. If the hardware is precise enough perhaps they'll add detailed gesture recognition i.e. make a gun with your hand, maybe snap your fingers to start a sequence etc.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 06:45:19 PM »
I still hold my original opinion of motion controls: They're 100% undesireable to me, I don't care if it's a remote, a wand, or nothing at all. I want a controller or mouse/keyboard. Nothing else I've seen holds any interest for me.

Actually my only reason for watching Kinect news and stuff is in hopes that I get to watch it fail and laugh from the sidelines. I pray it dies and we can get back to real games. (I would wish the same on Move, but I don't have a PS3 and won't have one anytime soon, so it doesn't matter if they turn their console into a WiiHD.)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
I won't be satisfied until I can play games purely with my mind.  Or my penis.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 04:51:35 AM »
I won't be satisfied until I can play games purely with my mind.  Or my penis.
Haha for some reason that instantly created images of many, many possibilities! "Marvel vs. Capcom XXX: Glory of the Hole" or "Glory Halo" ;D Gross hehe

I'm kinda hopeful of the possibility that some Wii games might make their way to the PS3, now that it's possible to pass along the control scheme with the Move.

I'd also love to see a new Okami with some funky brush action!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
Along those lines, W7re, if you try Metroid Prime 3 with controls set to "Advanced", you may change your mind about the usefulness of the Wiimote and derivatives (like Sony's).  If we can't have mouse/kb, it's the next best thing, so far.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 11, 2010, 04:56:47 AM »
Holy.. Wow.. Just wow.

Apparently, someone thought this was a good idea. I thought the point of the Kinect was to have no accessories or peripherals.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 11, 2010, 08:04:59 AM »
@Xessive,

[sarcasm]
I think I'll buy a console + GameBoat just so I can buy a canoeing game.  ::)
Wait - are they gonna sell some GameOars, too?  ::)
[/sarcasm]

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 11, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »
Reminds me of the crap you see at big lots for the Wii.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 11, 2010, 08:28:05 AM »
I'm betting The GameBoat might've been Activision's idea - since they love coming up w/ Peripherals.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 07:46:08 AM »
Kinect review at joystiq.  Absolutely no surprises.  None.  (See the rest of the thread above.)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 09:11:41 AM »
Kinect review at joystiq.  Absolutely no surprises.  None.  (See the rest of the thread above.)
Haha I'd love to see the one person who had such high hopes for it ;D

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
Giant Bomb has been streaming them playing it all day. All the games they tried seemed half-assed, or would play better with a controller, or both. Except for one: Dance Central. Of course, it's not something I'd play, but it's the one game they played that would be impossible without Kinect, and didn't overload them with tutorials or hard to navigate menu systems.

Sonic Freeriders (I may have that name wrong) looked like total garbage. The body detection was terrible, noticeable worse than the other games, and when Jeff failed on a tutorial section for jumping, it repeatedly put him through a long and annoying explanation by a character I'd call a robot version of Tingle or Navi.

Kinectimals looks like it's actually just a mini-game collection with some virtual cat petting in between games. The cat interaction seems alright, but it's only part of the game. Obviously you couldn't sit there petting the cat for hours (well, some kids probably could lol), but it almost seems like a misrepresentation of what the game is. It does seem aimed at young children, which was sort of obvious from the beginning.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
haha... thanks for that thread.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
IGN's coverage:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1132215p1.html

So far, so fail.

Without a single game that you think of as a "must have", this thing feels like DOA.

I don't understand this about Sony or MS, though more so the latter. They are both spending vast sums of R&D and marketing resources on these new motion controlling devices, yet don't go to the trouble of developing a killer app at launch.

MS's move to buy Halo for the Xbox launch was pretty smart, and it really helped the Xbox gain credibility.

Not a single 360 game that anyone of the core audience would want to play with Kinect.

For $150, I can't see myself buying it in the near future.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 04:56:22 PM »
It's not aimed at us, period.  MS is after the Wii casual crowd with this thing, the ones with huge living rooms anyway.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
Tycho's take on Kinect (The guy really does prove time and time again that he is the most insightful, reasonable, and articulate person in the industry):

Our experience with Kinect voice commands was odd, powerful, almost unsettling. This is incredibly interesting as a piece of technology, and as a means of instructing technology to do what we want it to. You will have a variety of experiences with this device, some of which are truly fascinating, some of which don't work entirely, and some of which will make you believe every terrible thing you have read on the Internet is true.

We've tried a bunch of games here at the office, a lot of games, and what becomes clear very quickly is that every developer seems to have a different idea about what constitutes a progressive, conceptually stable interface. There's two problems, here. There are probably more than two. But here are the two with the blink tag applied.

First off, I don't know if we're ready for this quite yet, and by "we" I mean "human beings" - those on either prong of the consumption/creation axis. I would love to be wrong on this. But there aren't really any ground rules for either party. When your interactions work well, believe it: it's revolutionary. When they don't, and believe it, they wont, you may feel it's the other part of the revolution. Specifically, the one where blood is always coming out.

People make a big deal about buttons, and buttons are cool, because of how they are discrete interactive switches bound to particular functions. But beyond the idea of "buttons" generally, let's talk about the specifics: you don't have a B button, which (like the PS3's Circle button) reliably gets you out of shit you don't want. By holding your left hand down at an angle, you can usually get to a menu that will let you do... something. It's not really standardized. Sonic Free Riders is a miserable game, but it has it's own spin on the "hover over" UI scheme that has pep, and Adrenaline Misfits has an approach to menu interactions that is also very crisp. Understand that the first time I saw the Misfits Method, I couldn't make sense of it at all. I couldn't discern that the icons on the screen were not mere buttons, in the classic sense, but rather a kind of pictogram telling me how I could hold my body to bring about the desired result. The way you say Okay in Adrenaline Misfits is to hold up your hand, as though waiting to be called on by a teacher. It's fast, and satisfying. Sonic Free Riders is, again, a hate crime. But the way you skip cinematics is to point angrily at the screen, which I discovered by doing that.

What I'm getting at is that this is the Wild Fucking West. No, because even the Wildest Wild-ass muhfucking West is at least underpinned by universally recognized tropes. With Kinect, it's like we're emerging from a cave trying to blink away the sunlight.  We barely have verbs.

The Amelioration Engine for problems like these is to have the Kinect's (in our experience sophisticated and reliable) voice recognition handle a suite of these needs in a universal way. But Voice isn't always being detected by the device, and once you fall in love with it you'll find out just how limited your access to it is. You'll want it everywhere, and it's just... not. You'll want it to inform your experiences with the machine at a fundamental level. You'll want it in charge of your days, and your nights. You will want it to wait in there to hear the desires of your heart, bottled up, like a djinn.

From the dashboard, you open the Kinect Hub by saying "Xbox Kinect," but from other voice activated realms you invoke it with "Kinect Hub" for some reason. You'll bring up  applications with a voice command, you know, like ya do, and then once you get in there voice commands go away? They just updated their Netflix client, but they couldn't be fucked to add support for their crucial robotic oculator? Weird, weird, weird.

You'd think from all this that I didn't like it, which isn't actually true. It was probably worth the price to see Brenna's face grow increasingly more horrified as I grabbed an episode of a show without a remote, paused it with my voice when I left, and resumed it the same way. It's a very scary device, which makes the timidity of the launch offerings frankly depressing.  I hope we'll end up very surprised by Kinect, a thing/method/philosophy that is still very much in progress.  I hope it'll arrive at a place where we can laud its virtues without the need to append quite so many asterisks.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »
After seeing the launch, there are some specific things that bother me about Kinect in general:

1) Why are the dashboard and Kinect Hub 2 seperate things? I thought they were adding Kinect integration into the dashboard, but really they were just adding the ability for the system to react to you saying "kinect hub" while on the dashboard. Then it loads the hub, which is missing most of the annoying ads from the main dashboard, but also seems to be missing the game marketplace. So if this thing is supposed to be a main part of the Xbox from now on, why have a seperate dashboard for it?

2) What Tycho said, there needs to be some standards as to what gesture or phrase means ok/proceed and what means cancel/go back

The audio and gesture commands could be cool for general use, but not for $150. There are also no games I would care about on it, even if they were all done well (like Dance Central, which actually looks good, if you're into that sort of thing). I can't even think of a game that I would ever want to play with Kinect either. If I were challenged to make a game for Kinect that I myself would enjoy, I'm not sure I could do it.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #25 on: Friday, November 05, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »
So what I think is the general consensus is that the technology is cool, but all the games utilizing it suck.  Surprise surprise.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 12:55:41 AM »
It's not aimed at us, period.  MS is after the Wii casual crowd with this thing, the ones with huge living rooms anyway.

Definitely, it is aimed at the casual crowd. But the fact that both Sony and MS are completely ignoring the core audience surprises me in this case.

I see a difference between what happened with the Wii, and what is happening now with the PlayStation Move and Xbox Kinect.

Unlike the Wii, both the Move and Kinect require (aside from expensive purchases on their own) that you have the base consoles as well. The PS3 will cost you at least $300, while the 360 without the hard drive will set you back $200.

So, while there is no fundamental difference between trying to sell the casual crowd a Wii, or a 360 bundled with a Kinect, or a PS3 bundled with a move, there is still the price factor. While the Wii launched at what, $300? The Kinect bundle is going for $400. $400 will be harder to swallow for the casual gaming audience, especially since it seems that the Wii has already saturated the market.

But again, there is no fundamental difference. If you can sell the Wii to the casual crowd, you can sell the Kinect bundle. Same goes for the Move bundle.

The reason I am really surprised by their ignoring of the core audience, is that we already have our 360s and PS3s. We didn't already have Wiis, of course.

There are 40 million 360s already sold, and 30 million PS3s. It is safe to assume that the majority of those 360s went to the core audience.

It defies logic that they would ignore the core audience at launch, when it costs us $150 to buy the Kinect, and it costs the casual crowd $400.

Especially when we, the core audience, are a market of 40 million, and especially when all it would have taken, is a game that we all wanted to play using the Kinect.

Again, not saying that they can't sell the casual crowd a $400 entertainment device, but when an already established crowd of 40 million would have found it easier to shell out $150, it seems silly that neither Sony, nor MS, took the time to launch a product that we'd find attractive.

Tycho's take on Kinect (The guy really does prove time and time again that he is the most insightful, reasonable, and articulate person in the industry):

That indeed was a well measured and insightful assessment. But I've seen this guy write some very stupid stuff, that has been based on hysteria, and has often been flat out wrong and illogical. I'll post some here next time to discuss.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
Along the lines of what Pug said, it also helps that the core audience is often the one that gets the ball rolling. Back before we knew what the Wii was going to become, we were excited for it. It was interesting, we thought Nintendo still loved us like they used to, and it was coming off the heels of the DS (which totally catered to all audiences and was generally awesome). The casuals weren't the ones standing in lines when the system came out and the casuals didn't help create the hype. In the end, it was the core who help set the stage for the Wii's success (which is why the subsequent abandonment was so bitter). I'd say it's generally the case for any product like this, at least initially. To straight out ignore the core is to loose those critical first sales that make outsiders interested. Maybe Microsoft is banking on the fact that the core audience can also be tempted by raw technology, but I think the general treatment by the gaming press is showing that it isn't the case. Microsoft doesn't have fans like Apple who will just buy whatever comes out because it's shiny and has a logo.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 05:21:22 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 05:56:30 AM »
Yea that's a fair point. The negativity for the Wii came years in, when the core gamers realized the thing wasn't aimed at them anymore. Initially, there was buzz. Kinect seems to have started with negativity, even though it seems that when it works perfectly, it can be amazing.

It almost seems like MS and Sony just want to copy Nintendo's formula blindly, without assessing their own strengths. It is strange that they are ignoring the 40 million base. At least Sony has made some effort with the move.

I actually wanted to buy the Kinect at launch, and am disappointed that there isn't a single game I find interesting. I guess the thing is that like the core audience, the Kinect isn't going anywhere. When interesting games do start showing up from third parties six months from now, things may take a turn.

Still, a killer app would have really gotten the ball rolling. I agree with Sirean that nothing gets the ball rolling like fans standing in line.

I mean, you take mega success stories like Avatar or The Dark Knight. I guarantee that those record 100+ million weekends were thanks to the geek and nerd crowd. It is what captured the attention of the more casual movie goers, and took those movies to nearly a billion dollars worldwide.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 08:08:04 AM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 09:15:40 AM »
Definitely, it is aimed at the casual crowd. But the fact that both Sony and MS are completely ignoring the core audience surprises me in this case.

I see a difference between what happened with the Wii, and what is happening now with the PlayStation Move and Xbox Kinect.

Unlike the Wii, both the Move and Kinect require (aside from expensive purchases on their own) that you have the base consoles as well. The PS3 will cost you at least $300, while the 360 without the hard drive will set you back $200.

So, while there is no fundamental difference between trying to sell the casual crowd a Wii, or a 360 bundled with a Kinect, or a PS3 bundled with a move, there is still the price factor. While the Wii launched at what, $300? The Kinect bundle is going for $400. $400 will be harder to swallow for the casual gaming audience, especially since it seems that the Wii has already saturated the market.

But again, there is no fundamental difference. If you can sell the Wii to the casual crowd, you can sell the Kinect bundle. Same goes for the Move bundle.

The reason I am really surprised by their ignoring of the core audience, is that we already have our 360s and PS3s. We didn't already have Wiis, of course.

There are 40 million 360s already sold, and 30 million PS3s. It is safe to assume that the majority of those 360s went to the core audience.

It defies logic that they would ignore the core audience at launch, when it costs us $150 to buy the Kinect, and it costs the casual crowd $400.

Especially when we, the core audience, are a market of 40 million, and especially when all it would have taken, is a game that we all wanted to play using the Kinect.

Again, not saying that they can't sell the casual crowd a $400 entertainment device, but when an already established crowd of 40 million would have found it easier to shell out $150, it seems silly that neither Sony, nor MS, took the time to launch a product that we'd find attractive.

First let me separate Kinect from Move.  I mean let me put them on different planets, because I think Move belongs on Earth, but currently not Kinect.  Move is a controller, one you can touch, feel, press buttons, and use in whatever position you feel comfortable, with however much play space you have available.  I have no problem with the concept or execution of the Wiimote, or the Move variant.

Kinect is, as far as I can tell, a gimmick to reel in the uninformed, eager, and affluent consumers.  The success of the Wii made MS see new dollars to grab by the truckload.  They already have our dollars (and pounds, yen, rupees . . .).  This is a new market they're chasing.  They're selling on novelty, not on genuine control/gameplay improvement.  This is a different experience from what we seek.  So why should they give us a second thought?  I doubt seriously that they haven't tested the appeal of this thing to death, and they have the Wii history.  How many games that we would buy came out on that thing (like 5?) and how many units did it sell anyway?

And you know what most of those who take the bait will end up doing?  The same thing the Wii crowd did.  They'll play with their new toy at Christmas, for a while, then they'll forget about it for months at a time.  Sandy bought 2 Wiis with those stupid balance boards, one for her and one for her mother.  Neither unit has been touched since Christmas.  The one exception to that is when I used her system to check out the few Wiiware demos we could download for a short while.

The price we pay is crapification of our UI and the constant badgering that $1 BILLION in advertising makes possible.  You better believe they're going to do their damndest to recoup and grow that investment, even if it means biting the hand that has fed them so far.  If this fucking thing becomes inescapable on the Xbox, it will be the end of it for me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »
I think I already did address this, while Sirean expanded on it. I think most of my responses to your new comments are already posted above etc.

As for 'they already have our dollars', your stance is based on the assumption that Kinect is a just a gimmick, and that no game can be made for it which the core gamers will find compelling. It is an interesting take on things.

I disagree only based on what I've read on Gamespot and IGN, where they've all said that when Kinect works, it is quite impressive. I think Kevin Van0rd was quite impressed. Obviously it is in a terrible place right now.

Basically, you are saying that MS knows that Kinect is a gimmick, and that they can't sell the core audience on it. I haven't seen any evidence to convince me that this is true (or untrue), but again, the game media has said this technology has potential.

Again, my point is that if this thing has the potential that so many video game sites have noted, MS should have put some resources towards putting together a killer app for the 40 million people who already have 360s. Core gamers would be far more interested in the Kinect, if there was a killer app for it.

My feeling is that if it is going to happen, then it hasn't happened yet because Kinect was rushed out the door for the holiday season. Who knows.

edit:

Regarding the Wii, again, I already commented on this. The Wii didn't have a hardcore fanbase that already had the base product. This does. The Wii was selling the same thing to everyone at the same price. Because the core audience already have 360s, Kinect is basically selling at $150 to us, and $400 to the casual crowd.

The Wii was selling like such hotcakes, Nintendo never felt the need to make software that would attract the more core gamers.

Creating some games that work well with Kinect and appeal to the core audience would mean that 40 million find the $150 add-on more interesting. I am not saying that it won't happen either. I am just saying it would have been better if it had happened at launch.

All of this is assuming that Kinect isn't a gimmick, like you say.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
Does the Kinect anytime soon have any "core" type games coming to the system anytime soon? Like say RPG's, shooters, or action games? 

Dance Central is the only "somewhat" must-have for Kinect at launch - I say "somewhat" since it it basically only has a got a good foundation down and that's it.

It looks like the perfect set-up for an inevitable Dance Central 2 - for them to add say a Career Mode and some more MP features.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 12:51:39 PM »
Does the Kinect anytime soon have any "core" type games coming to the system anytime soon? Like say RPG's, shooters, or action games? 

There's a Steel Battalion game in the works... yea, from a giant controller with a million buttons, to no controller at all. Not sure how that's gonna work.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
There's a Steel Battalion game in the works... yea, from a giant controller with a million buttons, to no controller at all. Not sure how that's gonna work.

That just...sounds odd...  :o

See, I could imagine say a fighting game working w/ Kinect - b/c you'd be throwing punches and kicks and getting your body motion-captured and that's all you'd need. But, really - I just wonder once if that kind of game come out, how many people are going to wind-up destroying their HDTV's doing so!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »
And you know what most of those who take the bait will end up doing?  The same thing the Wii crowd did.  They'll play with their new toy at Christmas, for a while, then they'll forget about it for months at a time.  Sandy bought 2 Wiis with those stupid balance boards, one for her and one for her mother.  Neither unit has been touched since Christmas.  The one exception to that is when I used her system to check out the few Wiiware demos we could download for a short while.
Who is "the Wii crowd"?  My stepson and his friends play Wii almost exclusively and believe me, their primary hobby is videogames.

Not saying your statement is patently wrong, but you are painting an awfully wide brush here.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
That just...sounds odd...  :o

See, I could imagine say a fighting game working w/ Kinect - b/c you'd be throwing punches and kicks and getting your body motion-captured and that's all you'd need. But, really - I just wonder once if that kind of game come out, how many people are going to wind-up destroying their HDTV's doing so!

Fighters Uncaged, from Ubisoft
trailer on YouTube
Giant Bomb quick look (18 minutes)

I sort of lost interest and was playing Minecraft on my other monitor while watching he QL, but I think the Giant Bomb guys didn't make it through the tutorial before getting bored and not wanting to play anymore. It seemed really basic, and unresponsive.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, November 06, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »
Fighters Uncaged, from Ubisoft
trailer on YouTube
Giant Bomb quick look (18 minutes)

I sort of lost interest and was playing Minecraft on my other monitor while watching he QL, but I think the Giant Bomb guys didn't make it through the tutorial before getting bored and not wanting to play anymore. It seemed really basic, and unresponsive.

LOL @ Gerstmann at one point doing Ryu-style hadouken motions (a little over 15 minutes into it)!