Author Topic: The Only Thing I Know  (Read 1722 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
The Only Thing I Know
« on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 09:25:01 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

Re: The Only Thing I Know
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »
I've met you guys. Case closed.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 09:46:46 PM »
A little over-dramatic. There are lots of ways to waste time, so why get down on playing videogames?

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »
Seems true enough though you can substitute video games for almost any activity and this would be true. It's basically a 5 minute video telling you to that being well rounded is important.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 10:37:07 PM »
I often think about the things I could have learned or experienced if I hadn't spent that time playing video games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 11:18:21 PM »
Anyone else find it funny this guy is bitching about wasting time, yet he went ahead and animated that entire thing in flash?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 12:07:12 AM »
Moderation is important with everything. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
Moderation is important with everything. 
Exactamundo!

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
I think you can break down most things you do on a daily basis and discover they are meaningless and have no lasting impact.  I've spent 4 years of my life at college.  I have had a great time while here.  What was the point, though?  I don't think much I have done here will make me happy in the future.  I've spend years playing video games.  I've had a great time doing that as well.  Meh.  There are probably better examples, but few things I can think of are really all that important. 

What about his examples of reading?  Reading is entertainment too.  I've read a lot.  I don't come away with reading any different than I come away from playing a video game.  I don't like how a lot of people put reading on this pedestal as an all-important thing to do.  You don't learn anything more from reading Moby Dick than you do from playing WoW.  They both tell stories.

So, take it in moderation, do what makes you happy, and keep it all in perspective.  We all need a little down time sometimes, and I think video games are great at relaxing and calming us.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 01:45:30 PM »
I think you can break down most things you do on a daily basis and discover they are meaningless and have no lasting impact.  I've spent 4 years of my life at college.  I have had a great time while here.  What was the point, though?  I don't think much I have done here will make me happy in the future.  I've spend years playing video games.  I've had a great time doing that as well.  Meh.  There are probably better examples, but few things I can think of are really all that important. 

What about his examples of reading?  Reading is entertainment too.  I've read a lot.  I don't come away with reading any different than I come away from playing a video game.  I don't like how a lot of people put reading on this pedestal as an all-important thing to do.  You don't learn anything more from reading Moby Dick than you do from playing WoW.  They both tell stories.

So, take it in moderation, do what makes you happy, and keep it all in perspective.  We all need a little down time sometimes, and I think video games are great at relaxing and calming us.

Actually reading provides a lot of benefits.  It expands our working vocabulary and stimulates the brain.  Although I suppose you could argue that some video games can accomplish the same thing

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 06:36:10 PM »
There's a ton of reading in Fallout 3.  :P

I found a good deal of truth in that video.  Moderation is indeed the key.  The question is, do you have the discipline to moderate videogame time, even with the longest and very best games?  Can you keep the time you're spending on gaming in perspective with everything else you should be doing?  At times I have.  At other times, I have not.  Time evaporates when I'm absorbed in a game, reminding me of the time-lapse photography in George Pal's The Time Machine (1960).  Once I succumb, I'm too far gone.  I suppose it depends on personality.  Others may find it easy to drop a game and go do something more fruitful with the bulk of their time.