Author Topic: Android troubles  (Read 3156 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Android troubles
« on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 07:51:02 AM »
So in the "I have a new addiction" thread I said I got a HTC Droid Incredible last week.  I love the phone, but I've had some perplexing problems that I'm hoping another longer term Android user can help with or shed some light on.

First, on Saturday I noticed my data connection dropped and it never came back.  I checked the "Wireless & Networks" item in Settings and "Mobile Network" was checked, but the whole item grayed out and the small text status just said "Turning on".  No matter how long I waited, it did not come back.  I had to reboot the phone.  This has not happened since.

Also, the WiFi seems really flaky.  Like it will be on and have a good signal in my house and then next time I look at it WiFi is disconnected (but still enabled) and 3G is active.  If I turn off WiFi and turn it back on, it reconnects right away.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Android troubles
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 08:26:44 AM »
Have you tried restarting your phone?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
Regarding the WiFi, I can tell you that on Windows Mobile the same thing happens. It depends on the phone's powersaver settings. basically if the phone sits idle for a bit it will automatically disable WiFi to conserve power. I set mine so that when it's plugged in it'l stay on and active. I don't know if it's the same with Android but that's what was bugging me until I figured it out.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 11:20:59 AM »
Very strange. Never had such issues, though I am not such an experienced user.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
Hm, can't really help you out all that much (although there are a variety of phone and android specific forums where people have quite a bit of technical knowledge.  I haven't had any problems googling for solutions to the ones I've come across).  I wouldn't worry about the cellular connection all that much unless it turns into a reoccurring problem.  As for the wifi, Xessive might be on to something.  I do have that problem occasionally at school, but never really seem to at home. could be an issue with some routers maybe?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
I'm not sure about the WiFi thing.  Today when I got home, I turned WiFi on.  10 minutes later, I saw it was disconnected.  I cycled it again and it hasn't happened since.  Not really that big a deal, honestly.  It hasn't happened during use.

Now someone needs to release a VPN app that is compatible with Cisco VPNs.  Then I could grab a RDP app and do initial troubleshooting for some issues at work even without my computer.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 04:37:44 AM »
Never had that happen. I guess you've tried xda-devs?

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 02:56:29 AM »
I've had all of these problems... My wi-fi disconnects the instant my phone goes to sleep. I haven't been able to find out how to fix that... Pretty annoying!

But all the functionality I get out of my Android still makes it more appealing than getting an iPhone. I just wish it had fewer... quirks...
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 06:31:49 AM »
I'd be interested to see if this is brand specific. Is everyone who is having problems using Motorola phones?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 06:39:25 AM »
Mine is HTC.  And no, I haven't tried xda-devs.

It was fine yesterday.  Never disconnected from my WiFi from home from the moment I got home yesterday afternoon to this morning when I woke up.

I'm really loving the phone.  The PowerAmp media player is awesome, though I wish you could change the cover art it downloads when it gets it wrong.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
Mine is an Xperia X10
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »
Mine is an Xperia X10
Which version of Android does the X10 use?

Have you heard if there are any plans for upgrades?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »
x10 runs 1.6, sony ericsson have promised 2.2 since around july.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
The X10 is still currently Android 1.6 but the upgrade to 2.1 has just launched worldwide.  Canada should be getting it next week according to this.  Crossing my fingers.

Sony Ericsson has announced nothing in regards to 2.2. 

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »
Yeah, that update was supposed to drop in September. Once September ended, I stopped waiting. Cool to know.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »
I'd love it if Google could figure someway to update the core OS without having to go through the carriers/manufacturers. I mean, I kind of get why it works the way it does, but it'll get frustrating for people over time.

Whatever, I'm just hoping for a timely Canadian release of 2.2 for the milestone.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 05:17:16 AM »
The OS update frustrations are as a result of some of Android's strengths. I guess it may improve over time, but not by a whole lot, unless Google starts demanding a lot more uniformity in the hardware etc., which is something I don't see happening.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
Sony Ericsson has announced nothing in regards to 2.2. 

ah, my mistake. a couple of blogs mentioned 2.2, but checking the source, it was actually the 2.1 update.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Monday, November 08, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »
Turns out the WiFi issue is a problem with the WiFi at my house and the issue where the Mobile Network was stuck in "Turning On", this seems to be a common problem with the Droid Incredible after the 2.2 update.  It just happened to me again today and so far all I can find is that a reboot sometimes fixes it, other times you have to call Verizon and they have to delete and re-add the data plan on your line.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, November 09, 2010, 02:53:18 AM »
Turns out the WiFi issue is a problem with the WiFi at my house and the issue where the Mobile Network was stuck in "Turning On", this seems to be a common problem with the Droid Incredible after the 2.2 update.  It just happened to me again today and so far all I can find is that a reboot sometimes fixes it, other times you have to call Verizon and they have to delete and re-add the data plan on your line.

So is it a Verizon side problem or a handset one?  I don't fully understand.

Which brings me to how my provider can't get my fucking texting working consistently since I switched to their new high speed network. It's mainly MMS, but still...come on.  I can't imagine it being all that complicated to suss out.