Author Topic: Pyro's new Metal thread  (Read 4080 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Pyro's new Metal thread
« on: Friday, April 06, 2007, 11:28:13 PM »
I bought a ton of metal while in CA, we all went to the usual music store that Ive been to every time Ive visited, Raspewtin's. Here's what I got:

Lyzanxia - Unsu
Swallow the Sun - Hope
Textures - Drawing Circles
Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur

and I finally bought Insomnium's Above the Weeping World.

I'm just gonna post some impressions on one of the albums I gave a good listen too, the Swallow the Sun album. I really like what I heard but from a certain standpoint. Its a very long winded album, with 8 tracks all of which are about 6 - 10 minutes. Its not all too varied nor is it very technical at all, its all melodic and moody and it all stays at one steady pace. So it seems very uninspired as far a melodic metal goes. However its not so much about technicality as it is with delivering the sound. Its pretty much all about laying down very moody ballads, melodic riffs, and haunting chorus', actually I would say its more about making it sound like the most beautiful metal you could listen to. And you know, as that, it really works. I would really call it ambient metal. Hell even the vocals sound awesome, from the growls to the softer singing. Its all so wonderfully orchestrated, and not in the way you would think of Dimmu. Overall, its really well delivered atmospheric metal and not too much over the top or too cheesy, so its one of those albums you could really relax too.

I'll post some songs in a sec.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Pyro's new Metal thread
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 06, 2007, 11:57:03 PM »
Sounds interesting, though I think I'm most curious about what you think of Vintersorg.  And also, I hate you and I'm jealous because I'm too poor for music.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 07, 2007, 12:17:32 AM »
Well damnit, I think I could only fit one song on my webspace, but it really gives a good feel of what the whole album is like.

Swallow the Sun - The Hours of Despair

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 08, 2007, 11:44:37 PM »
I dig the song.  It's the kind of thing I totally space out to at work.  Kind of Insomnium feel to it, really, what with the softer parts and stuff.  Vocally reminds me of them, too, given that there's no singing but the guy likes to do spoken word type bits.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »
Finally got around to listening to all of the bands you listed Pyro (moving is a pain in the ass) and I like them all, now I have some new metal to listen to!  I really like Swallow the Sun the most out of them all.

EDIT: After listening to more Textures, they remind me a lot of Meshuggah which is a good thing.  Good stuff man, thanks for posting this.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 03:13:03 PM by TheOtherBelmont »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 05:58:28 PM »
I've been liking Textures since Pyro linked them to me a while ago (or did I link you to them?  I seriously can't remember this stuff anymore...) but I'm just too poor to buy music.  I have to download it now and I fucking hate that.  Also, I found a disco torrent of Swallow the Sun except it didn't have the album Pyro got... so that sucks.  But it's cool anyhow.  I just kind of miss that song you uploaded, Pyro, haha.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 10:46:47 PM »
I really can't get passed this StS album, the songs just get more addicting when listening to them.

Que, you were the one that linked Textures to me. So far the album is quite badass. Oh and that song is back up for your listening pleasure. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 11:04:54 PM »
Yay!  I may need to pick that album up.  Also Textures, because I remember liking them a lot.  And I know that Lyzanxia band or whatever they were called that you showed me was really good.  At least one of their albums was.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 12:23:05 AM »
Alright here's another one, I could fit this one too because its a shorter song, but it kicks ass.

Swallow the Sun - No Light, No Hope

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 29, 2007, 05:28:31 PM »
I keep forgetting to update this thread. So I've been listening to the Textures album. They do some pretty cool stuff. As Tet said, there is a Meshuggah quality to it, but it doesnt restrain itself strictly to that. Actually the album is rather dynamic. There's a couple tracks where it goes into mellow trance grooves, then theres other parts where it turns into progressive metal. It all flows really well into one another, I quite like it. It never comes off as over technical for its own good and more or less breaks something into their own. Really interesting stuff, definitely a band to keep an eye on.   

Here's a song that shows off some of their range.

Textures - Touching The Absolute
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 29, 2007, 07:12:01 PM by PyroMenace »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 29, 2007, 09:26:11 PM »
Still need to pick them up.  Damn my lack of money.  I haven't bought a CD in like 6 months or something.   :(

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »
Latest albums I've bought/listened to.

Behemoth - The Apostasy. Slightly disappointed after the first couple of listens because it is nowhere near as good as Demigod or Zos Kia Cultus, but it's really starting to grow on me. Christgrinding Ave., Be Without Fear, and Arcana Hereticae are ridiculous songs.

Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying. Old school fucking thrash and goddamn it kicks ass. Even though it's more of the same and not as good as Hazardous Mutation, it's still a kick ass album to head bang and chug beers to. Definitely worth checking it out.

Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth. I had this CD, lost it a while ago, then burned a copy off of my friend. It's old school Cannibal, it's fucking metal, and it fucks you up. Nothing really more to say.

Psyopus - Our Puzzling Encounters Considered. Crazy technical metalcore in the same vein as Botch, DEP, and Daughters. If you're into that type of music, this CD is awesome. If you're not, you'll think it's the biggest piece of shit ever.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 09:23:30 PM »
Butchered at Birth is probably my favorite Cannibal Corpse CD along with Vile.  I seem to lean more towards Vile though because I like Corpsegrinder's vocals better than Barnes.

Behemoth and Municipal Waste are both good stuff I haven't listened to in awhile, I should probably listen to some Behemoth I have on my computer.  I will have to check out Psyopus if they are in the same vein as DEP.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 09:52:55 PM »
I have trouble with Behemoth given their rather Satanic bent, but I enjoyed some of Zos Kia Cultus.  I think they need a bit more variety, though.  It gets a bit monotonous.  Municipal Waste I should check out just because I could use some new thrash and I've never heard them.  I live for teh trash.  Psyopus... I have no idea.  I dig DEP and some crazy technical stuff sometimes, but I've found that many of these bands sound almost exactly the same.  It's been rather hard for me to get into other bands that sound like DEP... because they usually sound just like DEP.

And you gotta' love Cannibal Corpse.  Most worthless band ever, yet so much good freaking fun.  I've listened to them for years, yet somehow still don't own any albums.  I think it may have something to do with the fact that I've never been able to take an album up to the counter with that cover art they've always got.  It's pretty rare I'll actually buy something that openly base and violent... most of the metal I listen to these days is a bit less obsessed with that imagery, lyrically or otherwise.  But still... you gotta' love Cannibal Corpse.  "Hammer Smashed Face" is possibly the best song title in the history of the universe.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 08:36:23 AM »
Yeah, "Hammer Smashed Face" is an awesome title, but I'm still partial to "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt."  :P

As for Psyopus, they do sound like early DEP and you're definitely right that bands in that genre do all sound alike, but I still like that style of music from time to time. If any of you guys want to check it out, I can always YSI.

As for Municipal Waste, Que, if you're into early Suicidal Tendencies, you'll love Municipal Waste. Very tongue in cheek, party lyrics, but actually some kick ass So. Cal. type thrash. David Witte from Burnt By The Sun is their drummer and he is awesome. Again, if you guys want to hear it, I can YSI it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:01:30 AM »
Man, I haven't listened to Suicidal Tendencies in years, haha.  They had some great stuff... maybe I'll check out Municipal Waste at some point in the future.  Could be fun.